TheCapn's - Not So Simple - Aeroponics

Re: TheCapn's "not so simple" Aeroponics

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Cult. I'm using General hydroponics 3 parts, plus florablend and calimagic, and 1ml/gal silica. My PH has remained stable since doing a water change yesterday. I'm convinced the less I mess with it, the more stable it is,

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions for me on how to keep the roots out of the drain?

Eventually, the drain is going to be completely covered with roots, and roots will fill up the bottom chamber and get sucked into the pumps, then all my sprayers will clog. I knew that going in, but I was sort of "in denial" about it, thinking I would come up with a better solution, but haven't yet.

I'm not taking off the cape yet, but this is not so simple.

AeroRoots.jpg

What if you filled the netcups with a big rw cube and put a pump filter bag around the whole thing?
Nevermind I should have read a little further before responding lol the fishtrap looks good and logic says it will work

Re: TheCapn's "not so simple" Aeroponics

So my first NFT system I'm having major problems, PH being one of them always goes up to 6.3 part of it thinking is AN perfect ph but for me I have just made it a daily thing to check PH. Also my res temps are always high, which I attribute to the pump being in the chamber, my new system I have built for my grow tent I improved the syst by moving the pump out of the Rez. Which would help you in this case, then the roots would be free to grow into your Rez, just keep it well aerated. My other system I added a drain at the bottom of the Rez well every time I bump it it leaks. So if you make a new one or improve yours try to leave holes out of the water level. Of course there is always going to be the incomming into the pump that will be below I sat my pump on a box of screws the same Size as a 2x4 so I can swap it out for one when I can. This is my first grow, and I feel like NFT/ low pressure aero is pretty cool. Hang in there once it's dialed In I'm sure you will like it. Check out my journal and you can see my 6" tube system that's killing me a leak at the floor and it's carpet and it's causing RH to hit around 54-60% I would be more comfortable at 45%. If you check it out ill reply with pictures of both my 6" tube system and my new and improved system. See if they may spark any ideas. Hang in there i find all the work input in to the systems to be part of the challenge of growing.
image5748.jpg

Here is my new and improved I will get more detailed pictures in my journal.

Hey Capn, just stopping in to request an update of your progress.

I put the aero plant into flower about 10 days ago. I could not be happier with my set up right now. However I may regret I'm not scrogging these two plants. But hey, I'm ready for something different so we will see what happens.

The airpot that I showed above is working perfectly to keep roots out of the pumps. I have a 4 inch layer of roots on the bottom of the tub, and very few, if any, creeping into the pump chamber.

I put both plants (Dina fem OG in the back, and the un-announced strain in the front), into flower when they were about 2.5 ft tall. They are both about 4ft tall now. I am hoping they get up to 5-6 ft tall. With my new vertical lighting set up, they are free to go to the ceiling, however I don't think they will make it.

All of these pictures were taken right before lights out. In fact, you can see one light has already turned off. So leaves are droopy. I'm feeling SO GREAT about this grow. I have lightened up on my PPM recipes about 100ppm and it seems to be working great. Both plants in here are near perfect. No burnt tips, no decficiencies, no leaf curling, they are absolutely beauties.

Here is the aero plant, running around 500ppm.

20131211_221029.jpg

20131211_221128.jpg
20131211_221122.jpg

And the OG (tiny crusher) behind it. Look how well the buds are doing after only 2 weeks in flower. Tiny crusher is running about 600ppm.

20131211_221139.jpg

And this plant is the un-announced strain, waiting to be harvested. Gonna chop this weekend. Once it is out of the way, both plants will have more room and I'll be able to lower the middle vertical cool tube.

20131211_221051.jpg

As I promised, here are some pictures of the 600W x 3 semi vertical setup.

20131211_221021.jpg

20131211_221009.jpg
20131211_221040.jpg

I'll check back in with better pictures, once that plant is harvested and out of there.

Until then, If you're not doin it Capn Style, I don't know what the F you're doin.

Looking fantastic in there Capn. I love the way your flower room is set up, hope to be at that level someday. Question, what color bulbs do you use? I have this kit that came with bulbs and the HPS is 2100k and looking at a side by side of my plant and your plant, aside from noticing your girls look way better than my first girlfriend, you're color appears a bit brighter and a cooler color. Also, I know I can't really compare, but because your aero plant flipped within a day of mine, I now have a benchmark to measure against and learn from the difference.

side_by_side3.JPG

Looking fantastic in there Capn. I love the way your flower room is set up, hope to be at that level someday. Question, what color bulbs do you use? I have this kit that came with bulbs and the HPS is 2100k and looking at a side by side of my plant and your plant, aside from noticing your girls look way better than my first girlfriend, you're color appears a bit brighter and a cooler color. Also, I know I can't really compare, but because your aero plant flipped within a day of mine, I now have a benchmark to measure against and learn from the difference.

side_by_side3.JPG

Good question. I changed cameras. These pictures were taken with a Nikon, D3100. Once I set the white balance, they came out nice and green. These bulbs are a mix of the Apollo and Hortilux eye bulbs. So it's not the color of the bulbs you are seeing, I've corrected it by setting the white balance. Most cameras will have a white balance, or at least a setting where you can tell it what kind of light you have. Set yours to the "incandescent" setting, and it will help take out the yellow. If you're using an android camera, they all have this "incandescent" setting.

Thanks for the plant compliments. I can't take TOO much credit here. This Dinafem OG is a dream to grow. It really is an "all around" great plant, and I would suggest it to beginners and advanced growers alike. It practically grows itself. Nice strong branching great frosty buds, and it really does finish in 8 weeks (when clone vegged for 6-8 weeks), As I said before, I'm using the regular recipe, just staying on the shy side of PPM. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to make plants grow faster by throwing more nutrients at them. It just doesn't work that way, and I end up doing more harm than good.

Your plant is looking great. I can't believe how much it has shot out it's last couple weeks in veg. Amazing how they seem to hit a sweet spot in veg and go berserk. Unfortunately, we see too many people switching to 12/12 right before that growth spurt, sacrificing yield. I think you started yours just at the right happy medium, keeping in mind your size constraints.

Also this OG will be a bit ahead, because this OG was vegged for almost 2 months, plus it started as a clone. In the last week of veg, the tops were practically starting to bud in 18 hours of light. Like a gated race horse, ready to start. Yours was started from seed, and it takes a good two months for a seed plant to really be mature. Putting a plant into 12/12 before you see pistils is fine, but you'll probably need to add another week to the flowering schedule. Keep track of how long it takes to be ripe, then on your next one from clone, you'll notice it takes less time.

I love watching ur grows Capt. Just curious why you did not scrog or LST? Looks awesome...

Hey BMG, thanks for stopping in. Good question.

I've been "scroggin" (stoner verb) and bending for a long time now. I'm trying something different. If you scour around the internet looking for monster yields indoors, you will find a couple things in common, giant areas for roots, and vertical lighting, (no scrog). This is my first attempt at going this big with no trellis. I know I'll need to support branches in some fashion and I'm working on a new technique for that.

That said, unless you have a big closet, I would go SCROG every time. Once you spread your branches out, SCROG is practically "set it and forget it".

Most of the stuff I do here on 420 has been "How to... do this or that". This is really just a fun journal to see if there is any advantage to:

1. Aero/DWC instead of my usual grow cubes.
2. Taking off the trellis.

As suspected, I already saw a significant increase in growth rate in vegetative growth. The question is, will that translate to yield in flower? I suspect I will get a similar yield when working in the same space and the main advantage would be that you can get a plant ready to flower in less time by going aero / dwc. I've grown the "unannounced" strain in cubes, so now it is growing in a aero / dwc hybrid. Will the colas be bigger and have more weight? Time will tell.

I suspect cult will jump in here and say, "F yeah the colas will be bigger!"

u dont need to scrog with aero or dwc as long as u have an even canopy. it can be tricky to scrog depending on how u plan to change out ur buckets. Just ad a few lines for support and it will compete with any scrog.

Thanks Cult. I'm looking fwd to it. I really enjoy browsing thru your journals. Lots of good info there.

I suspect cult will jump in here and say, "F yeah the colas will be bigger!"

F yeah brother! no going back hahaha

theres a time and place for every style really, thats why i also still use coco and rockwool also, but DWC/Aero cant be beaten in a like for like situation FACT!

Glad u enjoy my journals mate, they often get off track as i get carried away as i have so much going on! But i do try to keep them so they easy to understand and people enjoy reading them. only thing is, not everyone finds my humour funny lol. never mind, cant please everyone haha

F yeah brother! no going back hahaha

theres a time and place for every style really, thats why i also still use coco and rockwool also, but DWC/Aero cant be beaten in a like for like situation FACT!

Glad u enjoy my journals mate, they often get off track as i get carried away as i have so much going on! But i do try to keep them so they easy to understand and people enjoy reading them. only thing is, not everyone finds my humour funny lol. never mind, cant please everyone haha

Ok If these colas get bigger in DWC, I'm going to be excited!

I get your humor. In fact, my boss, and everyone I work with on a daily basis, lives on your side of the pond.

I gotta go watch some FOOTBALL. :rofl:

lol, yes FOOTBALL not throw ball! i never did understand why NFL is called football haha

How about everything but hand ball, or batball? Don't get me started with "pool". even though I'm good at that one, I have yet to get wet when doing so.

lol, yes FOOTBALL not throw ball! i never did understand why NFL is called football haha

How about "everything but hand ball"? Instead of baseball, "batball"? Don't get me started with "pool". even though I'm good at that one, I have yet to get wet when doing so. It's just semantics.

Back
Top Bottom