TheCapn's - Not So Simple - Aeroponics

Re: TheCapn's "not so simple" Aeroponics

Man, I wish my leaves looked so uniform and even in color! You're working that aero very nice Capn! Maybe in a year when Im rich and famous I'll give that another whirl.

Man, I wish my leaves looked so uniform and even in color! You're working that aero very nice Capn! Maybe in a year when Im rich and famous I'll give that another whirl.

Rich...YES....Famous...nah, I'll pass :laughtwo:

it should really take off now and will explode when u flip. looking good, i know i dont need to tell u but dont let it veg too much, its surprising how big they get in flower when u aero and rdwc grow.

Cult, thanks for the advice, as this is exactly my "unknown". With a scrog I can control height, but I'm not going to trellis them this time. The two I have in flower now (of this same strain) didn't stretch as much as others I've had but it was still significant. I'll have more ceiling height this time because I'm doing the semi vertical. I've taken about 10 terminal shoots of this one, taking "uncle ben's topping method" one step further for 8 main colas, plus topped the next few tallest branches. I'm probably done topping, unless I need to in the first week of flower to control height.

I won't have space in the flower room until Dec 3rd, at the soonest, so that should be the day the OHGEE and the unannounced strain will go in. Starting Dec 3rd, I hope to be flowering my two biggest ever. My goal is 2.5lbs / 2 plants / 1800 watts.

Capn- with this system,how many gallons of water/nutrients are you using?(or I should say,are the girls eating) per week as compared to the top feed??

do you feel this is a system that could be left alone for a few days,like the top feed??
how is the strength of the lid after cutting such a big hole,,any trouble supporting that massive plant??

Capn- with this system,how many gallons of water/nutrients are you using?(or I should say,are the girls eating) per week as compared to the top feed??

do you feel this is a system that could be left alone for a few days,like the top feed??
how is the strength of the lid after cutting such a big hole,,any trouble supporting that massive plant??

Good questions. I can't really tell how much water it is using because the PH is unstable and I keep having to tinker with it. The res will hold about 5 gallons reserve.

No, I don't want to leave it alone. I don't even want to leave it for a day. If a pump malfunctions the roots will dry up quickly. It's a pain in the A$$ so far. At this point, I wouldn't do this again. I started this project to see if this growing method is worth the extra work. Even if I reach the goal of 1.5lbs, it's not. My PH is falling every day. Roots keep trying to grow down into the drain. I'm temped to switch to DWC already. Or maybe a DWC / aero hybrid. I just don't see how I will keep the roots out of the lower chamber.

I've used the same container for the cook off plant and it works just fine, even with 6 gallons of wet cubes sitting on it.

what base nutrients are u using? dont give up on it just yet, its just teething problems mate. Once u make adjustments it will be fine. if it really is bugging u then Its a very simple switch to dwc with zero stress on plant.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Cult. I'm using General hydroponics 3 parts, plus florablend and calimagic, and 1ml/gal silica. My PH has remained stable since doing a water change yesterday. I'm convinced the less I mess with it, the more stable it is,

Do you or anyone else have any suggestions for me on how to keep the roots out of the drain?

Eventually, the drain is going to be completely covered with roots, and roots will fill up the bottom chamber and get sucked into the pumps, then all my sprayers will clog. I knew that going in, but I was sort of "in denial" about it, thinking I would come up with a better solution, but haven't yet.

I'm not taking off the cape yet, but this is not so simple.

AeroRoots.jpg

>>> Do you or anyone else have any suggestions for me on how to keep the roots out of the drain?

I would suggest you try and make the drainage more refined. Meaning, tighter meshing than the open spaced net pots you are currently using. I don't know if you recall on my video update, I showed these metal-meshed sink drains I purchased. Although the roots WILL eventually cover the whole meshing, it stops them from potentially getting into the lower res and damaging pumps. Any way I look at it, there will be some kind of maintenance involved.

Nylon mesh lining inside a small net pot would probably work best as I've read metals are bad in the water unless it's stainless steel.

Thanks for the suggestions on the drain all. However I have been stressing a bit on the roots thing, so I took the system apart. Roots were in the intake of the pump. I still have 2 weeks of veg to go, plus 2 months in flower.... it simply wont make it. Sorry to disappoint, but I decided to convert it to a DWC / Aero hybrid.

Basically, I'll use one tub, and run about 6" of water in it. I'll still use the current sprayer set up but the bulk of the roots will be under water. I know I know. I'm disappointed.

But I still have the problem of keeping the roots OUT of the pumps. After converting it over, I had an idea on how to help keep roots contained. You know how the "superoots" air pot works to channel roots out the holes, right? I cut up a pot and used the material, backwards, to keep roots OUT. 3 days later and it's working great. Here is a picture to try to explain how I'm doing it.

If this works, I could have left the Aero set up as it was. Oh well. I will let you know in a week how it is doing.

Aero-DWC.jpg

RootTrap.jpg

Another possible option if this fails is to build the same thing, or even line the airpot with nylon mesh like used for skimmers etc., but if there is movement in the water, I can't imagine how a root would be able to steady it's way into one of those holes and further make progress through that barrier. I think what you have now will work for the intended purpose and keep roots away from the pump's ntake. Great idea Capn!

Apparently, the "processing" that 420Mag does to pictures, destroys an animated GIF. But here is a tiny one that works, showing 15 days of growth. Each picture represents a day. Not too shabby.
aerogif.gif

15 days ago:

2 days ago:

Another possible option if this fails is to build the same thing, or even line the airpot with nylon mesh like used for skimmers etc., but if there is movement in the water, I can't imagine how a root would be able to steady it's way into one of those holes and further make progress through that barrier. I think what you have now will work for the intended purpose and keep roots away from the pump's ntake. Great idea Capn!

Thanks Sky. Maybe we just invented a "root stop". That would be nice if it works, eh? Between the "root stopper" and the "5.8 PH Buffer", we will make millions.

Back
Top Bottom