The gas lantern routine

Running a GLR veg some strains like OG Kush, Blue God and Kushage all flowered. These same strains flowered under 16/8 but not 18/6. This is personal experience.

What type of light are you using? I've used GLR with about 6 different varieties of OG kush and haven't had any issues with flowering or showing preflowering under GLR...not knocking your experience, just would like to know more about the varibles involved. You flower with 16/8 lighting?

Hey ice, only reason I'm asking about various glr times is my power meter is a smart meter. This see power usage during peak periods and charges you on an average based off these times. Glr I see as being a tool to save power but where I live 16/8 is cheaper to veg, can you believe that? So I'm just trying to get power off during peak period. Peace

Stress. snip

Yes stress is a HUGE factor in my experience. One time back in the day, at night, we were driving into one of the driveways to our farm and we came up to a smaller barn that had about a 50 x 100 area of just tall grasses and weeds beside it and BAM! directly in the headlights there was this luscious super Dark Green plant about two or three feet above the tops of the grasses! About 6 feet tall. I jumped out of the truck and ran over to it [with the expectations of a kid getting his first car for Christmas] googly eyes and whooosh, everything went out of me when I noticed it was male. So we go to sleep and I go to my buddy's place down the dirt road and meet him for "breakfast" in the basement early in the morning. My buddy, Kevin, suggested we try an experiment that his step-dad had told him about the night before which was to so shock a male plant that it turns female. So we walked back to the farm and just stripped the plant of everything we could grab. I mean we tore that plant up! Charlie Brown's Christmas tree looked in the picture of health compared to this poor plant. Then we pulled it and snuck through the corn field, over the road, and into a clearing on the other side of the creek (yes we got wet); dug a hole and planted it. We promptly forgot about it.
Fast forward to "that time" where you contemplate the best time to harvest your plants and we harvested our normal spots. A certain time after the drying rituals beside the campfire in the woods and we decided to go check it. Sure enough down near the bottom there was one female bud that yielded about an 1/8 dried/cured. It was some of the most potent super dark green bud we ever had. It was like a cannabis espresso. All that energy and flavor packed into that one little bud. A super-piney flavor and smell.
So the stress experiment did work. But we never did it again because after years of growing outdoors the elimination of nonessential tasks improves your chances of not getting caught dramatically. It was a one-time thing; But oh so worth it.

They can show sex without going into flower. I wouldn't be too worried about it so long as you have the timers right.

I have 2 freebie seeds from Herbies that are regular seeds. If I popped them and put them in my Veg closet with 12/1 would they show sex before I put them to flower? That would be a great way to keep males out of the flower closet. :peace:

Supergroomer

Old thread...I know and I don't care. I just want to get the following information out to the public sector.

The old "Gas Lantern Routine" (AKA: Gas Lantern Schedule, 12-1) works because Cannabis is short day and long night plant. If we grow the plant with the light schedule that is best for it, rather than for us, we will have the best results. We all have to remember Cannabis isn't like the tomato which requires long days and short nights for it to produce the best results.

Anyone who claims the information for this type of photo periodic schedule is their own idea/paradigm/invention is wanting your money. Keep doing your own research whether it is with your personal growing and or with web searches.

I have 2 freebie seeds from Herbies that are regular seeds. If I popped them and put them in my Veg closet with 12/1 would they show sex before I put them to flower? That would be a great way to keep males out of the flower closet. :peace:

Supergroomer

No. Cannabis needs at least 6 hours of light and 12+ hours of uninterrupted darkness before sex will show.

Conversation started Tuesday
Joseph R. Pietri
7/7, 9:36am
Joseph R. Pietri

scroll the page read science in files get copy of nelsons greenhouse management and operation. The comment calling photo periodic control 12-1 the old gas lantern routine got you banned 12-1 is my paradigm 12 chapter nelson book 1 hour light break
Tuesday
George Mack
7/7, 4:54pm
George Mack

Honestly. How can something you learned about from someone else's research be your own model? Photo periodic control isn't new at all nor is it your idea.

Joseph R. Pietri
7/7, 6:02pm
Joseph R. Pietri

12-1 6-18 is my paradigm, Its new after 30 years of bullshit grow books. Be thankfull I put that info out their, 6-18 is completely of my invention, 12-1 is my paradigm and my 30 min on and off schedule is completely my invention. George yiou have managed to piss me off so see ya. I don't have time for banter.
Friday

George Mack
7/10, 6:12pm
George Mack

You are pissed off. Good.
Claim what which, all of the forums will learn the same information underneath a different name. Like you are doing.
Friday

Joseph R. Pietri
7/10, 10:23pm
Joseph R. Pietri

dude i created the paradigm, everyone learned from me 30 on and offf my experimentation 6-18 in flower is my creation, so fuck off
Saturday

George Mack
7/11, 3:53am
George Mack

Now prove it. You even provide where you found the research in your "Files."

You cannot reply to this conversation.

The conversation quoted above is a brief conversation with one such human who claims the "Gas Lantern Routine" is his own paradigm. Yet in his first comment to my friend, George Mack, he states where to find the information on the one hour break during the dark period (Book: Nelsons Greenhouse Management and Operation, Chapter 12)

I skipped to the end to make this post.. I apologize if what I say has been mentioned. From the beginning of this thread there has been discussion about light hours in nature, blah blah. To save argument about said hours of the day anywhere on this planet, no where gets an hour of light during the night cycle. So we can't use any reference to natural outdoor growth. I've used this veg routine for a long time. It works great and saves a mint in hydro costs. Peace!!

Figured to update the thread.

I took clones from the first flowering C-99 Grapefruit and put her into full flower schedule.

After the clones were rooted, I topped them to make more shoots. It responded normally and is putting out quite a few shoots while still expressing first flowers.The plants are only about 6 inches tall, but with many side shoots. Just put the first clone on 12/12 schedule and plan the 2nd plant tomorrow.

I didn't actually use the Gas Lantern Technique, but can see that the system will work. I took another clone from one of them and trying to root it now. I would take more, but want a fast flowering for some smoke. There are also 6 bag seed sprouts too. Wont be using that technique yet, but if the first flowering mother plant is cloned and kept in first flowers, then it may be viable for very small spaces. The clones still show first flower after rooting and growth starts.

Thanks for that info Fear This*

The container is only 30"Lx 5"Wx15H. The clones are in a lower height pot that holds about a gallon or so of soil. I may have to put more than one clone per pot, or use smaller pots. I can jam in about 5 or 6 pots per plastic bin. By the way they are making shoots and it's size, I should get about half an once. I thought to veg a little longer, but have no pot to smoke and figured to fast flower them in about 6 weeks of flowering. At least that is the plan. I may be generous on the quantity, but the way they are growing and the number of shoots (which will be LST to produce more buds.

We've found the technique to be highly strain dependent. There are some strains we've tried that just bristle with trichomes and get really messed up under gas-lantern while other strains don't seem to notice.

smoking around your plants can also cause strange effects. Smoking produces ethylene gas (plant hormone) that can cause early budding or even encourage the plant to wilt. In some cases it causes the buds to over ripen.

Back
Top Bottom