Blue Dream In Hempy Buckets With Modified Light Schedule

Hey Tead, I'm the guinea pig as far as I know. I doubt it works any better than a plain hole, but I guess I just wanted to 'engineer' something into the bucket. The only other thing I'd modify is drilling out some holes around the top of the buckets so I could stick some skewers in them to use as tie downs. I did not do any LST this time so that wasn't needed.

This is my first Hempy grow so I can't compare using a screen to just a plain hole. I ordered my black buckets (2 gal for now and 3 gal for potential future use) and browsed around the US Plastics site to see if they had anything cheap that might work, and ended up with the gizmo pictured in the previous post. Again, probably don't need it...or any screen...but I kinda like the little drain spout on the side of the bucket.

Flower/Day 22

bd2_22.jpg

bd2_23.jpg

Grow is continuing along nicely. Thought I'd put up a couple of closeups to show a few flowering sites. The second pic shows the development of the sugar leafs and I first noticed that yesterday.

The nute strength is close to a little more than half and today the lights were changed to 11 hours on, per the modified light schedule article. My last Blue Dream was chopped at day 75 of flower and it will be interesting to see if that remains the same for this different light schedule, although I don't recall if a different flowering length was mentioned.

I'm getting real comfortable with the Hempy routine and I'm at the point now where I water every fourth day. The only time I even need to open up the tent is when I feel like spinning the buckets around a bit so that the canopy gets a more even distribution of light.

Plants are looking fantastic. How do you like the ph perfect so far? I love that I can just mix nutes and water.

I'm actually surprised with how well they are working out. I'm doing the same as you and just mixing them up in my tap water and not checking the pH. I still feel a little apprehensive about not adjusting the pH, but I'm not going to mess with something that is working.

I absolutely loved the results of my last grow with the CANNA nutes in coco, and when I was experiencing some issues that I believe were pH related earlier in my current grow I was ready to abandon the thought of any future Hempy grows. My opinions are now changing but I'll wait until I finish this out to make a subjective comparison between the two grow methods.

Thanks for relaying your understanding and experience with the AN nutes, because I would still be adjusting my pH levels without that input.

i never tried hempy principle before so after reading your journal i made a 2 liter cola bottle into one and put one of my seedlings in....
its still alive so thats good:straightface:, so thanks for the great ideas:goodjob: and carry on because your doing a wonderfull job...
:thanks:and:peacetwo:

i never tried hempy principle before so after reading your journal i made a 2 liter cola bottle into one and put one of my seedlings in....
its still alive so thats good:straightface:, so thanks for the great ideas:goodjob: and carry on because your doing a wonderfull job...
:thanks:and:peacetwo:

Do a search on the "Journals in progress" thread for "hempy". You'll see quite a few hempy grows. It's relative ease and speed lead to it's popularity. Start your own journal and quite a few hempy growers will chime in to help you out.

I'm actually surprised with how well they are working out. I'm doing the same as you and just mixing them up in my tap water and not checking the pH. I still feel a little apprehensive about not adjusting the pH, but I'm not going to mess with something that is working.

I absolutely loved the results of my last grow with the CANNA nutes in coco, and when I was experiencing some issues that I believe were pH related earlier in my current grow I was ready to abandon the thought of any future Hempy grows. My opinions are now changing but I'll wait until I finish this out to make a subjective comparison between the two grow methods.

Thanks for relaying your understanding and experience with the AN nutes, because I would still be adjusting my pH levels without that input.

I love the Hempy grow. My tap water is 7.6 PH so I feel I have to PH but I may try 1 plant on my next grow just to see how it works out.

I love the Hempy grow. My tap water is 7.6 PH so I feel I have to PH but I may try 1 plant on my next grow just to see how it works out.

My tap pH is about the same but I stopped checking it based on the advice of BRF and his experience with AN. Alfred E. Neuman also told me not to worry about my Hempy grow so much, which is something that Tead's been preaching all along. I can't say for sure whether it's the 'pH Perfect' technology, coincidence or just dumb luck. But I reached a point in my grow where things started to pick up so I was not going to change anything.

There's probably a million and one ways to do a Hempy (or any grow) when you consider the style, media and nute combinations. It probably just comes down to finding the right mix of variables that work for a given set of conditions.

i never tried hempy principle before so after reading your journal i made a 2 liter cola bottle into one and put one of my seedlings in....its still alive so thats good, so thanks for the great ideas and carry on because your doing a wonderfull job...

Hey veinz, thanks for following along. But don't thank me for the ideas because they belong to the multitude of Hempy growers that have been doing this for a while. So you and I can both say thanks to them for leading the way, and especially thank those that have followed along and contributed to this thread!

My advice is the same as Tead's; read other Hempy journals and start one of your own. BE SURE to put it in your sig. There are a number of friendly and knowledgeable Hempy growers that would cheerfully help you along your Hempy way, but make it easy for them to find you.

Very nice Gorgar
Subbed. Active thread subscription.. let me see....
1181. Sigh.
But how can I resist?
I was just talking to a fellow on a thread who seems a little paranoid about the future of his grow because he heard that the BD stretches like crazy. Is this true? The grows I've seen of it didn't see to. I'm guessing there are a handful of different Blue Dreams?

Flower/Day 27

bd2_24.jpg

Subbed. .... I was just talking to a fellow on a thread who seems a little paranoid about the future of his grow because he heard that the BD stretches like crazy. Is this true? The grows I've seen of it didn't see to. I'm guessing there are a handful of different Blue Dreams?

Hi Weaselcracker, thanks for stopping by!

Today is day 27 of flower, and the plant on the left is 28" tall and the one on the right is 22". They are feminized BDs from HSO. I grew one of these last time in an Air Pot and did not find it to be stretchy at all and don't anticipate any height/stretch problems here. It was shaped more like the one on the left, but I did some training on it and the main stalks weren't as high. I find the Blue Dream a relatively easy plant to grow all around.

I suspect that the structure of these two plants differs because I probably topped a little to early for the shorter plant, as it was a little less developed than her taller sister. I probably ended up with more of a FIM. But that's just a guess, as I've never intentionally done a FIM.

edit: Should have added that they are in 2 gallon buckets and veged for 60 days. Also corrected height of smaller plant.

Flower/Day 35

Last Blue Dream was chopped at day 75 of flower, so we're close to midway through this grow. However, I'm not sure how/if the diminishing light schedule changes anything. Today the lights were backed down to 10 1/2 hours/day.

This pic shows the developing orange pistils of the larger plant:

bd2_25.jpg

However, the smaller plant has yet to undergo this change yet. But the bud sites do continue to fatten up.

This second pic shows the nute burn evidence:

bd2_26.jpg

I've seen the brownish tips before, but have not seen the yellowish margins on the fan leaves. For the time being I'll assume that it's another indication of nute burn but please chime in if it could be something else.

I'm probably around half strength with the nutes at this point, but will back down a little further at the next feeding. I do have some CANNA P/K supplement and may add a little since I'm in the middle of flower, but I don't know if I should really do that. Please post any ideas that you might have. Thanks!

The damage your leaf is showing almost the margins seems more like it could be early potassium deficiency. I'm saying this not from any great knowledge of the subject, but because I've been googling deficiencies a bit lately and happen to have just read about this ( for the thousandth time ). Worth a look anyway.

Thanks Weaselcracker, a possible potassium deficiency was also in the back of my mind and agree that it's definitely worth a look. For the most part I find diagnosing these things so confusing. On my first grow (some SSH) I had a problem and I think that I treated it for over a half a dozen issues. I rectified the problem, but I was never sure what the actual problem was.

I think that for now that I'll cut back on my base nutes a bit and add some P/K supplement.

Yes the deficiencies are confusing because they're rarely simple textbook cases. Usually combinations of problems happen. But for most nutrient deficiencies, the cause usually relates to ph.

Back
Top Bottom