Seems like you got your own house of dankness now. :)

Regarding the carbon in filters it can be reactivated if washed in water with lime at pH 14. We done this with carbon water filters but it needs to be washed a few times with normal water to get the lime out. But it works.

Your new moonshot looks neat. Will be nice to see it running. :)

LOL yes it is very dank in here without that carbon filter for sure. LOL. I'm definitely going to try the lime thing. So you just mix the water and let the filter soak in it like in a plastic trash can?

And also on the MoonShot, you just reminded me. I need to talk about that. LOL

I was wondering what I should first do with my recently won magic butter machine... I think you just hit on it. Thank you!

Hell yes Emilia! I would be making buttered popcorn, cannabis hot wings, delicious hazy grilled cheese sandwiches, Herbed Cannabis steak butter, Mary Jane Short Bread cookies... let me stop :yummy:

Hell yes Emilia! I would be making buttered popcorn, cannabis hot wings, delicious hazy grilled cheese sandwiches, Herbed Cannabis steak butter, Mary Jane Short Bread cookies... let me stop :yummy:
Yum. I have been inspired! I have a half pound of good undried and uncured weed that I stored away in the deep freeze some time ago, hoping that some day I would get one of those machines and would have something to celebrate with. I plan on wearing the thing out.
:yummy::yummy::yummy:

I have a half pound of good undried and uncured weed that I stored away in the deep freeze

That should definitely get you started! And it's starting to warm up too? So many culinary possibilities...

LOL yes it is very dank in here without that carbon filter for sure. LOL. I'm definitely going to try the lime thing. So you just mix the water and let the filter soak in it like in a plastic trash can?

And also on the MoonShot, you just reminded me. I need to talk about that. LOL

Every night when I got to bed I close the door to my workshop which takes care of the intake and exhale air from the grow. Keep the widow open there and the widow is always sooo full of damp, wounder if anyone takes notice of it.... :)

I will start looking in to my old water treatment books today at work and give you the full story on how you wash active carbon to reactivate it.

Moonshot, moonshot, moonshot!!! :passitleft:

I will start looking in to my old water treatment books today at work and give you the full story on how you wash active carbon to reactivate it.
I own 2 large $300 can filters and feel it would be stupid to replace them when I can simply cleanse the carbon and give them another year of life. You do lose about 5% of the carbon in this process, so you will need to buy a little more activated carbon to add back in.
I have drilled out the rivet holes that hold the top of the filter on, so that I could dump the dirty charcoal out into a bucket. This bucket is then taken outside and attacked with the garden hose out on the driveway. The dirty carbon will react violently to this water and it will boil, steam and off gas the most putrid yellowish smoke you have ever seen, but eventually with more and more water, the reaction will eventually stop... the carbon will be clean.
Then you have to reactivate the carbon, and this takes heat. I use my gas BBQ grill for this task.... I heat it up to 500° or so and in several passes I set the charcoal in there for 10 minutes or so... just till the edges start turning to ash. Once the reactivated charcoal is cool (it takes a while) it is ready to be carefully shaken back into the filter canister, making sure there are no voids. Add back in the extra charcoal to fill it to the top.
Presto... another year with the old filter.

I own 2 large $300 can filters and feel it would be stupid to replace them when I can simply cleanse the carbon and give them another year of life. You do lose about 5% of the carbon in this process, so you will need to buy a little more activated carbon to add back in.
I have drilled out the rivet holes that hold the top of the filter on, so that I could dump the dirty charcoal out into a bucket. This bucket is then taken outside and attacked with the garden hose out on the driveway. The dirty carbon will react violently to this water and it will boil, steam and off gas the most putrid yellowish smoke you have ever seen, but eventually with more and more water, the reaction will eventually stop... the carbon will be clean.
Then you have to reactivate the carbon, and this takes heat. I use my gas BBQ grill for this task.... I heat it up to 500° or so and in several passes I set the charcoal in there for 10 minutes or so... just till the edges start turning to ash. Once the reactivated charcoal is cool (it takes a while) it is ready to be carefully shaken back into the filter canister, making sure there are no voids. Add back in the extra charcoal to fill it to the top.
Presto... another year with the old filter.

Great Emilya!

I think my book tells a little more info about this process but I hadn't time to look it up today, but if this works for u I bet Retrix can get the same results with this process. I will get back here with more facts about this process asap. :)

Keep the widow open there and the widow is always sooo full of damp, wounder if anyone takes notice of it....

Well if this tells you anything, I never noticed that my house was smelling until I left and went out of town for the whole day. When I came back, the whole house smelled like I had left the tent open or something. Like it was strong enough that if I had the windows open, you would definitely smell it outside. When you are in your house for hours you tend to build up a tolerance for the smell and it isn't noticeable anymore. Glad I didn't invite anyone in the house the last week. LOL!

I have drilled out the rivet holes that hold the top of the filter on, so that I could dump the dirty charcoal out into a bucket.

The Gods must be smiling upon me. Mine has screws like they WANT me to take it apart! LOL

LUN01209.JPG

Congratulations on your winnings both of you @Emilya and @RETRIX

Thank you Crazy. I now have enough Terpinator to last me probably the rest of my life. LOL

It def want's to come apart! ;)

Ok so I changed the carbon filter finally. And wow what a difference. LOL I took the old filter apart and let's just say that by the time I pull out all of the nylon bags that it is tightly packed in to an inch of its life, and getting bits of charcoal everywhere, suddenly 37 bucks every 3 years doesn't sound bad at all. Not to mention that the charcoal damn near costs the same as the filter.

Yeah it's a dirty job doing this. Watch out for open flames when handling this dust, it's explosive in enclosed areas if the dust is in the air.

Sure the aquarium pellets are great when changing out the medium.

Great you feel better after the change. I usually change mine every year but they say that they last at least two years, thought I would wait until the summer to change mine but it's got real tricky doing this in my new closet so will see.... :)

Chem dogs need the filter. For certain.

Man isn't that the truth. I opened the tent briefly today to water them and had to close all the damn windows.

I usually change mine every year but they say that they last at least two years

So 5 years is probably a little over then. :oops:

So 5 years is probably a little over then. :oops:

Yeah that is over their life expectancy. :) Still no formula for washing active carbon in lime but I'm looking. I know I read this....

Snapped a pic last night on my window in the workshop when I close down for bed. This is the exhaust from grow room showing on my open window. Apartment of dankness.... ;)

Still no formula for washing active carbon in lime

It's ok Crazy. If I was going to do anything, I would just replace the carbon instead of washing it. I like the cool glass doors on the apartment!

Back
Top Bottom