The RDWC Club

In the bottom left corner of the box where you reply is a tab that says "My Photos". Click on it and it should open a small window where you can attach your pictures to your reply.

"My photos" doesn't show up on my laptop. In the icons at the top of the reply screen, from right to left, are Wrap, Insert Video, the photo add button (from your 420Mag photos), Insert Image (from an external source), Unlink, and Link.

Are you using a laptop or are you on the 420 App on your phone, Florida?

Glad I found this thread.

Currently I have a top-fed DWC in a 10 gallon tote. I like it so far, but I'm working a 3x3 space with a scrog. I have yet to add the scrog net, but once I do, I imagine its going to be harder to change the reservoir. So this leads me to a RDWC for the next time. I also plan to have the reservoir outside of the tent to maximize space and ease.

For some reason I like to get ALL of the old water out of the reservoir, I sop it up with a old clean t-shirt. If I switch to RDWC I imagine it's going to be even harder to get all of the water out, unless I set it up in some particular way. However, I wonder if it's even necessary to get all the old water out. It seems like all the RDWC systems I've seen will leave water in the bottom of each container.

So, is it necessary to get ALL the old water out of the system?

Glad I found this thread.

Currently I have a top-fed DWC in a 10 gallon tote. I like it so far, but I'm working a 3x3 space with a scrog. I have yet to add the scrog net, but once I do, I imagine its going to be harder to change the reservoir. So this leads me to a RDWC for the next time. I also plan to have the reservoir outside of the tent to maximize space and ease.

For some reason I like to get ALL of the old water out of the reservoir, I sop it up with a old clean t-shirt. If I switch to RDWC I imagine it's going to be even harder to get all of the water out, unless I set it up in some particular way. However, I wonder if it's even necessary to get all the old water out. It seems like all the RDWC systems I've seen will leave water in the bottom of each container.

So, is it necessary to get ALL the old water out of the system?
I don't believe it's mandatory. I never get all the water out. I probably leave an inch because my pump isnt exactly on the floor of my tub. So three tubs, with an inch each. Not worried about it. Whatever is left over it will be so diluted it won't be an issue. Pathogens should have been taken care of by proper root maintenance. I think you'll be good.

"My photos" doesn't show up on my laptop.

Thats weird, I use a laptop as well and this is what I see.
Untitled-1a1.jpg

(hangs head in shame)
My wife jokes that I couldn't find socks in my sock drawer. She might have a point.
Every single forum is different, ya know? For the first couple days after joining I say "we'll thats stupid" A lot more than normal. It took me forever to figure out how to send pictures.

Hi guys I've never posted on here before but I am i desperate need of help n figured this is the most likely place i will find it.
I've made a DIY 6 bucket rdwc system and keep getting plagued with root rot and i'm running out of ideas as to why its happening :helpsmilie:
I will go through the exact process i have done this time to see if anyone can point out any mistakes I've made to try to get to the bottom of this problem once and for all.
I start my clones in an aeroponic cloner. Only a small 20 site cloner but i still have a chiller (set to 18c) rigged up to it and at this stage all is ok. White healthy roots bursting out of my clones.
I then took my rooted clone and moved it into my V6 oxypot veg system. If your not familiar with that system its basically just a tank with 6 net pots sat over it. I have adapted that system slightly and added a chiller to it. I have also this run threw out my old air stones and replaced with new air curtains as i'd read old stones could be harbouring the pythium or other diseases. Air pump i'm using is a helia v60.
When i moved my clone to this system I took hold of the clone and pulled some of the roots through the net pot so that they would be in the nutrient solution then filled the pot with clay pebbles and placed in the system, pots sitting about 1 inch above nutes. Now to me I've done everything right. My clone is sitting nicely 1 inch above a heavily oxygenated chilled to 18c nutrient solution. Room temp 75f humidity 60%. No light getting through to nutes or anything like that. 5 days later i'm getting signs of the root rot again. WHY is this happening?
I'm not even going to move them into my DIY RDWC this time until i solve this problem because i know from past runs it just gets worse. I'm hoping i can eradicate it while there is only a small amount of roots before i move to the next stage. In the past I've tried all the beneficial bacteria's nothing worked PH was still dropping over night to around 4! I switched to a sterile system 4 weeks into flower on my last run after speaking to a guy using a current culture system and this did help keep PH more stable but i think it was to late and the damage was already to far gone. I keep making it through flower i'm not totally losing the lot but my yield is poor despite the plants not looking ill at all. This time i have changed all air stones and air lines and gone with a sterile system from the word go thinking this was going to be the answer to all my problems but apparently not. Before i started this run it took everything to pieces pumps the lot and cleaned it all thoroughly put it all back together then ran a double strength to what it said on bottle h2o2 cleaning solution round it for 24 hours then flushed system with plain water and i'm still getting this root rot and can't for the life of me figure out why. Nutes im using so far this run is canna veg a +b at 0.7 EC canna rhizotonic half strength and Silver Bullet roots. The only thing I can think of that I could possibly done wrong is handled the roots when i was pulling them through the net pot to move them into veg as it appears they are the roots that are starting to go slightly brown. Fresh white roots appear to be popping out the basket round the sides. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Are you using a dark colored nutrient solution? Could be staining. And what nutes are you using? Never organic nutes in Hydro unless it's made for Hydro. I say this because AN makes Nirvana which has organics in it and its for Hydro. Read up on flaming skulls z7 it should do a good job keeping the res clear.

Hi guys I've never posted on here before but I am i desperate need of help n figured this is the most likely place i will find it.
I've made a DIY 6 bucket rdwc system and keep getting plagued with root rot and i'm running out of ideas as to why its happening :helpsmilie:
I will go through the exact process i have done this time to see if anyone can point out any mistakes I've made to try to get to the bottom of this problem once and for all.
I start my clones in an aeroponic cloner. Only a small 20 site cloner but i still have a chiller (set to 18c) rigged up to it and at this stage all is ok. White healthy roots bursting out of my clones.
I then took my rooted clone and moved it into my V6 oxypot veg system. If your not familiar with that system its basically just a tank with 6 net pots sat over it. I have adapted that system slightly and added a chiller to it. I have also this run threw out my old air stones and replaced with new air curtains as i'd read old stones could be harbouring the pythium or other diseases. Air pump i'm using is a helia v60.
When i moved my clone to this system I took hold of the clone and pulled some of the roots through the net pot so that they would be in the nutrient solution then filled the pot with clay pebbles and placed in the system, pots sitting about 1 inch above nutes. Now to me I've done everything right. My clone is sitting nicely 1 inch above a heavily oxygenated chilled to 18c nutrient solution. Room temp 75f humidity 60%. No light getting through to nutes or anything like that. 5 days later i'm getting signs of the root rot again. WHY is this happening?
I'm not even going to move them into my DIY RDWC this time until i solve this problem because i know from past runs it just gets worse. I'm hoping i can eradicate it while there is only a small amount of roots before i move to the next stage. In the past I've tried all the beneficial bacteria's nothing worked PH was still dropping over night to around 4! I switched to a sterile system 4 weeks into flower on my last run after speaking to a guy using a current culture system and this did help keep PH more stable but i think it was to late and the damage was already to far gone. I keep making it through flower i'm not totally losing the lot but my yield is poor despite the plants not looking ill at all. This time i have changed all air stones and air lines and gone with a sterile system from the word go thinking this was going to be the answer to all my problems but apparently not. Before i started this run it took everything to pieces pumps the lot and cleaned it all thoroughly put it all back together then ran a double strength to what it said on bottle h2o2 cleaning solution round it for 24 hours then flushed system with plain water and i'm still getting this root rot and can't for the life of me figure out why. Nutes im using so far this run is canna veg a +b at 0.7 EC canna rhizotonic half strength and Silver Bullet roots. The only thing I can think of that I could possibly done wrong is handled the roots when i was pulling them through the net pot to move them into veg as it appears they are the roots that are starting to go slightly brown. Fresh white roots appear to be popping out the basket round the sides. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.
Growchyz has some good info. Look into peroxide for a disinfectant. It's molecule is H2 O2, so other than the liquid used to dilute it its just Oxygen and Hydrogen. You can buy it in strengths up to 30 percent which is cool, but you HAVE GOT TO SHOW THIS SHIT SOME RESPECT. Gloves, eyewear, the whole 9. Syore bought is 3%. A half a cup per 4 gallons or so will knock out any pathogen that I know of. Read up on it. You can probably make it stronger maybe creep up on it. but you will have to look into it. It will also perk up your roots if you have a weak air system. After that I use Hydroguard. You have to make completely sure all of the peroxide is out of your system. Hguard doesnt like peroxide. AND
No organics. Growchyz is totally right. The wrong organics will chooch your rig quick

I'm using Canna Aqua nutes and yes the veg and bloom "A" is red in colour. Not using the full line though. This run so far I've used the

Canna Veg A + B
Canna Rhizotonic
And Silver Bullet Roots

If I went off the Canna feeding chart i should be using Cannazym too but that's an enzyme that activates beneficial bacteria so I've swerved that because i'm using the Silver bullet which is system disinfectant which would kill all them beneficial bacteria off and should be keeping all my roots white n healthy.

Just had a quick check of my roots n they don't look to bad now and i can't decide if it is just the dye making them look a bit funny. It did appear though that the roots i'd pulled through the holes in the net pot might of gotten a bit strangled or something n gone a bit funny.
Think i might just be a bit paranoid because every time i get to say week 4 of flower i start getting these PH dropping problems which is being caused by this root rot and i really don't want it happening again. Last run i though the same at this stage. Thought i could see the start off of root rot but wasn't using this Silver Bullet or any h2o2 was using the Cannazym trying the beneficial bacteria route that did not work at all and ended up with me getting PH drop about week 4 of flower then i ended up with low yield. Tried to change to a sterile system at that point (week 4) but it must of been too late. The Silver Bullet was holding it off but not curing it. When i harvested my plants I got the root ball out and it looked a mess definitely riddled with rot. Water always used to smell a bit horrible when i was changing my rez which also led me to believe i was suffering with rot.
I really don't want to suffer it again and am trying everything to prevent it. Hopefully this Silver Bullet Roots will see me through. I Can't be doing with these low yields anymore.

I'll get some pic's up shortly so you can see what i'm on about.

Other than potential contamination or damage from handling the roots you're doing everything right. Z7 is a good product and will help but it doesn't address the root cause. (pun intended) After this run I'd follow stltoed's rec and hit the whole system hard to sterilize it and any surfaces in your grow area. Soak or spray everything that won't be damaged by doing so, even the walls and floors. The fungal spores of pythium and fusarium can remain viable for a long time and only need the right conditions to come back with a vengeance.

Back
Top Bottom