TheFrizz Is Back! VC/DC, CBD Therapy & Northern Lights Medical Grow For Mom

Hello friends! :welcome: Sorry for the late reply- I have been putting in my veggie garden this week :)

Yes, I will be testing THC and CBD levels with a kit very similar to the ones that Phil linked on the previous page. I was going to test the Blue Dream from my 1st grow on its own a month or two ago, but I decided to wait til this grow is done. Then I can run all 8 of my plants buds at once, which will ensure consistency of methods (since this is my first time using the kit).

Took a small bud from around the middle canopy of each plant to check under the microscope, and it looks like it's go time!!! Some amber and mostly cloudy trichomes. Harvest will be as soon as I get the materials ready for processing. :cheer:

The "sample buds":
Veggie_babies_and_pre_harvest_070.jpg

Jenny
Jenny.jpg

Monique
Monique.jpg

Sidney
Sidney.jpg

Muffinz
Muffinz.jpg

A few light-on pics, I will post full color ones on harvest day

Whole tent shots
Pre_harvest_photo_shoot_002.jpg

Jenny
Pre_harvest_photo_shoot_004.jpg

Monique
Pre_harvest_photo_shoot_005.jpg

Sidney
Pre_harvest_photo_shoot_007.jpg

Muffinz
Pre_harvest_photo_shoot_006.jpg

A couple more big picture shots to wrap it up :love:

Pre_harvest_photo_shoot_009.jpg
Pre_harvest_photo_shoot_001.jpg

Next update will be the harvest photo-shoot within the next few days! As always, questions, comments, and feedback are appreciated :thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

What brand tester do you have Frizz?

Looking mouth watering good! :) Looking forward to the results!

Frizz, not sure what you are using for aeration in your buckets...but I started a DYI thread about building and testing soaker hose diffusers or aerators for DWC aeration. I did some testing after building them and am about to start my next run with them...today actually. I don't know what difference they will make, but I was very much disappointed in the air stones that came with my kit...and now I notice that after one run they look to already be degrading.

DIY Air Diffuser - 1/4" Soaker Hose

Looking mouth watering good! :) Looking forward to the results!

Frizz, not sure what you are using for aeration in your buckets...but I started a DYI thread about building and testing soaker hose diffusers or aerators for DWC aeration. I did some testing after building them and am about to start my next run with them...today actually. I don't know what difference they will make, but I was very much disappointed in the air stones that came with my kit...and now I notice that after one run they look to already be degrading.

DIY Air Diffuser - 1/4" Soaker Hose

Checked it out, great design! I am so far neutral towards air stones- not excited about them but for the price and ease of use I was ok with them. But seeing your entire bucket(s) full of happy bubbles, and with even pressure so the roots aren't getting tossed around, very nice!

Hey frizz wondered how the grow ended up.. hope all is well with you!

Thanks Toasted! I was away from here for a couple weeks but I am doing very well, thanks for checking in :love:

Hey neighbor this is my new profile starting up the Journal from scratch!

Looks great sir!! The reboot is nice and tidy, excellent summary!

Hey guys, if you are interested in seeing another grow in my style (4 plants in DWC, manifolded to 16 tops) check out the link to Mr. Sampson's journal up there. He's my neighbor so I helped him get started growing 2 months ago, and now he is pretty much rocking it independently! The girls are Blue Dream x Blue Dream, Northern Lights, Wonder Woman, and Blue Dream x White Widow. They are about 2/3rds of the way through the flowering stretch right now, so the fun is about to begin!! They are much bigger than any of my plants were at this stage and if all goes well we are hoping for close to 3 lbs dry total (0.75 oz per cola). Basically, a 50% improvement over my 1st grow with Blue Dream.

Ok, harvest report time!

One last shot before harvest. I did Jenny and Monique one day, and Sidney and Monique the next. Thank you ladies!! :circle-of-love:
Post-harvest_010.jpg

Jenny, pre trim, love the purple coloring!
Post-harvest_012.jpg

Monique, she is soooo insanely sticky!
Post-harvest_013.jpg

Sidney's buds have a lovely contrast between the pistils and the leaves :love:
Post-harvest_017.jpg

Muffinz actually ended up having the biggest individual buds even though she was the smallest plant!
Post-harvest_016.jpg

Post-harvest_014.jpg

My fiance and I trimmed them (Mr. Sampson did cola #5 on Sidney, and did a beautiful job:)) and hung them to dry in a closet for a week, which ended up being too long in this heat. Muffinz especially ended up getting too dry, I think because her stems were so much smaller than the other 3 plants, so she was retaining less total water. Oh well, that's what humidipaks are for! :cheer:

Here are some weighing pics, I recorded the stem width as well using a digital caliper while the stems were still wet. That is why there is a number taped to the stem, so I can track the colas separately on each plant.

Post-harvest_034.jpg
Post-harvest_035.jpg
Post-harvest_040.jpg
Post-harvest_039.jpg

The "money shot", I moved my previous grow into C-Vaults for long term storage and put my new harvest into the 1.5 gallon jugs to cure.

Post-harvest_073.jpg

Alright, this next section is for those who enjoy data analysis :thumb:

The following charts display the total dry yield, calculated by the total weight per cola/stem. Definitely less than my first grow (2 lbs), which I believe is due to the following factors:

1.) Having lots of small to medium fluffier buds is less effective yield-wise than having large, dense tops since plants grow exponentially. By continuously shaping the plants outwards, I promoted the growth of small lateral buds. This looked cool in pics, filling up the whole tent with mini colas extending from the primary stems, but to be honest I liked it better having 64 single colas that were clearly defined and separate.

2.) These plants were roughly half the height of my Blue Dream at harvest. This is because I kept supercropping and defoliating them constantly to keep them close in height. This grow technically did produce more buds per area, I just need to let them stretch more next grow to make full use of the tent. I was so concerned about keeping an even canopy that the total yield suffered as a result.

3.) I let them dry too long for how warm it is, some bits of the buds were crumbly and when I put them into jars the relative humidity was in the mid 50s. It is back up to 62% now in all 4 jars (love Boveda Humidipaks!)but that doesn't change the harvest data :laughtwo:

4.) Blue Dream is known for having a high yield, and this grow I picked plants primarily based on medicinal qualities, and did not prioritize yield as much.

Dry_Yield_Data.jpg
Thickness_vs_Yield_Data.jpg

Here is a graph, because graphs are nicer to look at than numbers! :cheer: Pretty neat to see the tight distribution at smaller stem widths, and less consistency at the thicker stem widths. The equation for the line is this: y= 2.162x - 6.649, where y is the weight(g)of dry buds on a stem, and x is the thickness (mm) of the stem.

Thickness_vs_Yield_Graph.jpg

After Mr. Sampson's harvest in a couple months here we can create an equation from his as well! I think it would be fun to create an app to predict final yield in advance based on the dimensions of your plant. A coefficient could be added to the equation to account for differences in density between strains.

Overall I am still quite happy with a pound of goodness considering all the factors that were different between grows. After another 2 weeks the buds should be cured enough to make into oil for my mom :circle-of-love: At that point I will also perform the THC test kit (it measures CBD and 4 other cannabinoids as well) and run samples from all 8 of my plants for side by side comparison.

Here is a sample bowl we tried from Jenny (couldn't resist, look at that gorgeous purple color!)

Post-harvest_037.jpg

I will wait to report on effects til after they are done curing. This bowl tasted harsh because we are used to buds that have been curing for 6 months and have very little chlorophyll remaining. # weedsnobs? :laughtwo:

Next up will be smoke reports, THC/CBD testing, fancy bud shots, CBD oil making, and more! I am not sure when my next grow will start, probably after Darth Yaddle finishes flowering. More on that later!

Thanks everyone for following and supporting me throughout this grow! As always, questions, comments, and feedback are welcome! :thanks::Namaste:
~TheFrizz

Awesome post Frizz. A pound is certainly nothing to scoff at! Well done. And thanks for the in-depth data of your harvest. Nice to see that type of information! Can't wait for my harvest, counting down the days!

Yea a pound is certainly nothing to be dissapointed with.. especially with those buds, damn they look pretty! It will be really neat to see the compiled data from both grows.. that app sounds like a really awesome idea! Cant wait for the smoke report as well as the thc report.. great job frizz you trained them well.

Nice job!! I came to get your Chili Pepper recipe for bugs. Ive got Russet mites in my yard grow. Some plants they like and some not as much. I made my own Green Cleaner with 1 tsp Rosemary, 1oz Canola oil, 1oz ISO and a few drops of dish soap to 1gal water. When the sprayer was almost done I put another half gallon water and 1oz ISO and sprayed the bad ones again. Im waiting for the sun to break to see if I killed them. If the last mix dident kill the plant and did the bugs Im on to something. I cant use anymore oil cause the stage of flower. Just wondering your thoughts? Im pretty positive my yard is infested with Russets every year and is why my tomatoes did bad when I grew them. If I can keep them out of the tent Im the man!!!! I wrote down the THC lab info. I need to make the time to come here more often. I hope all is well. Great Day Frizz.

I hear them Russet Mites are a bitch. My brother had them in his commercial grow and he said they were a nightmare. I have spider mites that I have been trying to deal with. Just unleashed some predator mites on them in hopes of getting control of them quickly.

I hear them Russet Mites are a bitch. My brother had them in his commercial grow and he said they were a nightmare. I have spider mites that I have been trying to deal with. Just unleashed some predator mites on them in hopes of getting control of them quickly.
I can see why its said to crash and burn the grow. When they get into developing buds its really bad. My home made Green Cleaner is working!! 2oz iso to 1 gal water, 1tsp dish soap. My first mix had too much oil in it. I put 50 ml and reduce it to 1 oz maybe. I made up some garlic water from seasoning cause I read thats good but I wonder about taste in the buds?? Im throwing Rosemary oil at them too. I Aza maxed drenched the tent once, and sprayed store bought G.Cleaner twice and Saturday Im also neem spraying the tent. I hope I can keep them from the tent. Im checking the tents leafs almost daily. The ones bred in the yard seem to be least favored than the fancy breeder seeds out there. You know what Im growing next year in the yard, my home bred strains. Theyre evil little bugs!!! Right when its time to up pot and flip the tent it will be yard harvest time and impossible to me to keep them out Im thinking. Trim outside looks like. Up potting outside too. Bleach water all surfaces and tools. What a mess!! Maybe trash it all for water hash.

Ive had spider mites and theres no comparrison. Van stank I sure woukd like to know what your bro did? Ive thought of Predatory mites too for the tent. I heard Lady bugs get in the lights?

Hey Frizz I hope all is well. I can get a hot pepper recipe no problem but what do you think about the garlic water?? A Rosemary oil mix? A peppermint oil mix? Dr. Bonners? Do you think these 3 are in the same family or each a different treatment? Also I want to get some wettable sulfer and some Diatomaceous earth, good idea?? The yards in flower so no more oil out there.
Hey Teach first day of school soon?? Great Day!

Yeah I am going to spray the hell out of my tent with bleach and water when I am done. I will kill every last one of these bastages. Glad to hear your remedy seems to be working.

Hey Frizz. I found your first journal on the blue dreams last night and got so caught up into it. I read it all before I hit the bed. Then I started this one this evening. All I have to say is " you have this so dialed in man. My hats off to you on producing such wonderful bud. I wish I could join you for a bowl.

Ive been growing for a few years now and have tried the mainlining technique the last 2 grow, with great success. Only thing I do different is top to 8 as to your 16 and use cocobuckets instead of DWC, but this is going to be a must on my next round. I am wondering if you ever tried doing this in Coco or in a hempy bucket. Id like to know if there would be any difference in yield? flavor?

If not any advice would help, I did get some good helpfull hints reading though. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with the world. :bravo:

Whoa another run well done! I'm going around swiftly, gotta say you pulled wonderful harvest there! :goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom