They seem happy - But are they yellow?

Cool and thanks. You two do realize your advice is sort of conflicting LOL but that's okay it made me laugh on a crappy morning.

They look better today, just taking it one day at a time. I want my new soil NOW - we had a sick dog, the bill was close to $800. He's actually more important than these stupid plants but I'm not going to let the plants hear me say that.

Cool and thanks. You two do realize your advice is sort of conflicting LOL but that's okay it made me laugh on a crappy morning.

They look better today, just taking it one day at a time. I want my new soil NOW - we had a sick dog, the bill was close to $800. He's actually more important than these stupid plants but I'm not going to let the plants hear me say that.

Yeah - I'm not saying I have the right diagnosis. The weird thing is most potting soil mixes are the proper PH and buffered well enough that PH should not be a problem. Same thing about nutrients. I start out in Promix, which has no fert's in it. The plants are perfectly happy and green the entire time. I'm just throwing out ideas. Unless the roots are water logged (doesn't seem likely), I'm stumped. I am as sure as I can be, that small/frequent waterings are a bad idea once the seedlings are established. The key to a complete drench is to leave them alone until the plants completely dry out. The cups should be so light as to feel practically empty.

-EDIT-

These are two weeks old (from seed put directly into Promix - no paper towel or other germination technique). They've never been watered since they were germinated. As the roots grow, they find more moisture toward the bottom of the cup. The roots are bigger than the plant above ground.

Tykes21.jpg

Yeah - I'm not saying I have the right diagnosis. The weird thing is most potting soil mixes are the proper PH and buffered well enough that PH should not be a problem. Same thing about nutrients. I start out in Promix, which has no fert's in it. The plants are perfectly happy and green the entire time. I'm just throwing out ideas. Unless the roots are water logged (doesn't seem likely), I'm stumped. I am as sure as I can be, that small/frequent waterings are a bad idea once the seedlings are established. The key to a complete drench is to leave them alone until the plants completely dry out. The cups should be so light as to feel practically empty.

-EDIT-

These are two weeks old (from seed put directly into Promix - no paper towel or other germination technique). They've never been watered since they were germinated. As the roots grow, they find more moisture toward the bottom of the cup. The roots are bigger than the plant above ground.
Your diagnosis whether right or wrong is still very much appreciated. Your girls are beautiful :thumb:

Promix eh? I've still got so much to learn. Money is obviously a problem, I can't even afford decent seeds, but as that situation gets better everything will get better.

This morning I said fuck it and mixed up some stronger juice - I figure it's about 18-6-12 or something like that, being real scientific about it, not. I'm doing exactly the opposite of what everyone says to do, I'm fucking with them and I won't stop until they're dead lol.

I got the order mixed up but here they are as of 15 minutes ago, it's a beautiful sunny day. The color reminds me of certain Caladiums, maybe I should plant them along the driveway

march_31.jpg

Let us know how it goes... :high-five:

Well they're not dead. The two largest have five leaves on top and a nice skunky smell. Maybe it's natural for the single leaves on bottom to turn yellow, like I said at the onset it's been a long time since I tried this. All that nitrogen didn't make them significantly darker - I think the lime-green color might be natural for the species. The seeds came from something that reminded me of what we used to get in high school (before electricity). Because of where I got it I suspected it came from Mexico and could be some hearty old-school variety that grows in hot dry conditions and doesn't take a lot of maintenance. But I don't know anything for sure, I just wish they were ready for harvest.

It's a beautiful morning --- also I found a couple photos of varieties like Lemon Kush and Lemon Haze which when growing outdoors seem to have leaves similar in color to mine

april_2.jpg

Black jack strain which is mainly Sativa has fan leaves like yours...The hybrid is Black Domina x Jock Horror, which has a truly amazing smell and blend.. You need to commence "Topping".....

I start all my seed grows in germination cups with miracle grow potting soil. I don't think you can go wrong there. Maybe your strain is naturally this color?

Today it's been really hot in the intense sunlight, I try to make sure they get 7 to 9 hours of direct sunlight per day. I just stuck my finger down the side of one of the cups and it seems awfully dry (just watered two days ago). I'm thinking about giving them some plain water (already been sitting out to let the chlorine evaporate).

It's the watering thing that gets me so bent out of shape - too wet, too dry, happy, unhappy, blah blah blah. As I said it can get very hot here and water evaporates quickly. Maybe I'll go ahead and give them a good drench, if they wilt for a while then so be it, it won't kill them.

You ought to smell the three largest - they've got that beautiful skunky fragrance I haven't smelled in a long time. If I don't fuck this whole thing up I could end up with some kick ass bud... for medical purposes only bien sûr :rolleyes3

Moving right along. During nute experimentation the lower left plant got a double dose over two days but it looks fine to me. They've all got fading lower leaves which might be natural as those leaves get less sunlight. I read somewhere the plant starts using the nutrition stored in those leaves to help feed new growth. Oh and they all got the good drenching with fresh water I spoke of yesterday, some of them look dry because I added a little new soil on top to make up for compaction. Miracle-no soil is the worst for compaction.

april_4.jpg

You need to transfer some of these plants to a larger pot...... You`re stunting their growth

It would be interesting to knock a couple out of their cups to see how the roots are doing. They don't look root bound to me, but do appear stunted. They are about two weeks above ground, right?

You need to transfer some of these plants to a larger pot...... You`re stunting their growth
It would be interesting to knock a couple out of their cups to see how the roots are doing. They don't look root bound to me, but do appear stunted. They are about two weeks above ground, right?
Here's a shot of the tallest plant from the side, I believe it's about two weeks above ground. A few of those days were cold so it stayed inside and got indirect light through a window. They don't go outside unless it's 60 degrees or above - we'll be good from here on out. Do you really think it could be root bound? I don't know, it just seems like there's still a lot of room in that cup. The other day I knocked one of the smaller plants over and half the soil spilled out, I sure couldn't see a whole lot of root activity. But if you guys think they're ready for transplant I'll sure get on it. I guess gallon containers - or three gallon containers? Should the next transplant be the final transplant before harvest? Thanks guys!

april_4_tall.jpg

Here's a shot of the tallest plant from the side, I believe it's about two weeks above ground. A few of those days were cold so it stayed inside and got indirect light through a window. They don't go outside unless it's 60 degrees or above - we'll be good from here on out. Do you really think it could be root bound? I don't know, it just seems like there's still a lot of room in that cup. The other day I knocked one of the smaller plants over and half the soil spilled out, I sure couldn't see a whole lot of root activity. But if you guys think they're ready for transplant I'll sure get on it. I guess gallon containers - or three gallon containers? Should the next transplant be the final transplant before harvest? Thanks guys!

I do not think it is ready for a transplant. That's why I asked you about looking at the roots. The fact that some of the soil spilled out and you didn't see roots circling the cup means it is not root bound yet.

The plant in your last picture looks much better to me. It isn't exactly thriving, but it is bigger than I thought. It may just be the strain and soil combo. Thanks for the update!

My plants wilt every night which is natural for certain strains, some more than others. After 9 hours of intense direct sunlight today these girls are exhausted. At first light around 6:50am they'll be back at attention, it's a pretty cool thing to see every day! Tomorrow I go to the hydro/organic store in another town, hope to come home with some Ocean Forest.

nightwilt.jpg

Its time to move these Girls to a much larger pot, i think you`ll resolve your issues.... Those girls have NO room to grow and its time to "set them free"...LOL

Its time to move these Girls to a much larger pot, i think you`ll resolve your issues.... Those girls have NO room to grow and its time to "set them free"...LOL
Consider the two largest ladies set free! Roots had barely started wrapping so I think the timing was great. Was up until 1am mixing new magic soil for a peaceful night time transplant:

6 parts Ocean Forest
2 parts Coco Coir (organic rinsed low sodium)
2 parts chunky perlite

Recipe actually calls for only 5 parts Ocean Forest and an addition of 1 part EWC but I'm on a budget and there are already castings in the OF so I modified. Also I have a new friend at the hydro store who advised used coffee grounds are FULL of nitrogen so keep them dried and when in need just spread on the soil.

Girls are out in the sun looking pretty damn happy although I hate speaking too soon, you know how it is. Also I've got one in a cloth pot and the other in something stupid I rigged up - after learning about cloth pot advantages it became sort of mandatory.

cloth1.jpg

cloth2_.jpg

Things seem to be going okay, I've got to get all this moved to the grow journal section and also I think I hate my user I.D. (Controlled Flight Into Terrain - I was in a funny mood that day.. ) so I'm thinking about changing it.
Or not.
As always any and all advice is appreciated :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom