Thrips

I've been told that I can use Safer's Insecticidal Soap during flower. Neem should only be used in veg because Neem oil can affect the taste of your buds.

Safer's needs to be rinsed off but the other 2 don't. I usually spray before lights off and rinsing when the lights come back on.
This ^^

No neem in flower. Safer's Insect Killing soap is a true soap (not a detergent like Dawn Dishwashing Liquid) and soaps work by essentially dissolving the exoskelton on many bugs including thrips and mites.

As HG says, you have to rinse it off after it dries. But it is only effective wet and on bugs you spray directly. It won't work for a bug that lands on a freshly sprayed leaf.

Thrips are what I battle with most. Good luck with your treatment. :goodluck:

Yeah it kills across the board by cutting into their exoskeleton.

imho predators are prevention but not always a cure, guess it’s numbers game and who got there first. If your room is fairly tight just keep running predator colonies until they own the room but you will perhaps need companion plants for them to dwell in since our crop rotates thru.

I ran hypoaspis miles soil predator mites, special blend to control spider mites plus ladybugs all in my last cycle…. the ladybugs vanished even tho the room is tight and maintains good enviro

Yeah it kills across the board by cutting into their exoskeleton.

imho predators are prevention but not always a cure, guess it’s numbers game and who got there first. If your room is fairly tight just keep running predator colonies until they own the room but you will perhaps need companion plants for them to dwell in since our crop rotates thru.

I ran hypoaspis miles soil predator mites, special blend to control spider mites plus ladybugs all in my last cycle…. the ladybugs vanished even tho the room is tight and maintains good enviro
Not 100% on the names of the bugs I got tbh but the guy said it's the emergency pack man, has bugs for leaves flying and soil so hoping that along with treating individuals will keep them at bay atleast

This ^^

No neem in flower. Safer's Insect Killing soap is a true soap (not a detergent like Dawn Dishwashing Liquid) and soaps work by essentially dissolving the exoskelton on many bugs including thrips and mites.

As HG says, you have to rinse it off after it dries. But it is only effective wet and on bugs you spray directly. It won't work for a bug that lands on a freshly sprayed leaf.

Thankyou man

Guys I need advice again man sorry to be a nuisance but yous have been helpful so far, I've spotted mildew on a few leaves what's the best way to stop this spreading, also it's an indoor grow but the weather has been drastic these past few days, went from 20c to minus and loads of snow in the space of a few days, don't know if this could have triggered something?
Thanks again for any insight!

IMG_20220305_222426.jpg

I've not dealt with mildew before. Maybe an iso mix? @InTheShed ?

I have! Citric acid spray is what I recommend, and here is my recipe, and you can scale it up or down based on how much you need:
5g citric acid
500ml distilled water
10 pipette drops dish soap
Mix well and spray, preferably first thing in the morning before the sun will be on the plant. If not, late in the day so it can evaporate before nightfall but not burn in the heat of the day.
Make sure you get the whole plant as PM can hide between the buds and the branch.

For the record, 10 pipette drops of dish soap works out to a little less than 1ml in 1500ml of water (or .3ml per 500ml).

I have! Citric acid spray is what I recommended, and here is my recipe, and you can scale it up or down based on how much you need:
5g citric acid
500ml distilled water
Mix well and spray, preferably first thing in the morning before the sun will be on the plant. If not, late in the day so it can evaporate before nightfall but not burn in the heat of the day.
Make sure you get the whole plant as PM can hide between the buds and the branch.

For the record, 10 pipette drops of dish soap works out to a little less than 1ml in 1500ml of water (or .3ml per 500ml).
Thankyou very much man they're indoors so I will spray them maybe 2 hours before lights go off?

This ^^

Thankyou man
I have! Citric acid spray is what I recommend, and here is my recipe, and you can scale it up or down based on how much you need:
5g citric acid
500ml distilled water

Hey man couldn't get my hands on citric acid today but I read that you can use hydrogen peroxide the same way? Have you experienced this?
I'd spray closer to lights out and keep the fans on high.

Thankyou man

Hey man couldn't get my hands on citric acid today but I read that you can use hydrogen peroxide the same way? Have you experienced this?
I've used hydrogen peroxide for PM in the past but I didn't think it worked too well.

If I was in your position, I would first fix the environment. Drop the humidity. Then start treating. Think of it like a double whammy against the PM.

As for thrips, I have been struggling with them. Not sure why the friend is against systemic treatments. I'd prefer to use whatever is necessary to fix the problem than have a ruined harvest. I personally use SNS209 and have also incorporated other foliar sprays to manage the population. Thrips thrive underneath the leaves. The ones you see crawling around are simply the brave cowboys of the population. The eggs and babies are feasting away and growing underneath. You NEED to spray the underside of your plants more than the tops. Otherwise, you will constantly be dealing with their life cycles coming back every time.

There are many safe ways to deal with them. Just need to make up your mind which way you want to go and stay consistent with your treatments. I would agree with your friend 2 or 3 acceptable methods and alternate as needed so you don't overly treat your plants. I have recently overly treated my plants and sprayed at wrong times. So now it's pest damage AND foliage damage of my own doing. Best of luck!

I've used hydrogen peroxide for PM in the past but I didn't think it worked too well.

If I was in your position, I would first fix the environment. Drop the humidity. Then start treating. Think of it like a double whammy against the PM.

As for thrips, I have been struggling with them. Not sure why the friend is against systemic treatments. I'd prefer to use whatever is necessary to fix the problem than have a ruined harvest. I personally use SNS209 and have also incorporated other foliar sprays to manage the population. Thrips thrive underneath the leaves. The ones you see crawling around are simply the brave cowboys of the population. The eggs and babies are feasting away and growing underneath. You NEED to spray the underside of your plants more than the tops. Otherwise, you will constantly be dealing with their life cycles coming back every time.

There are many safe ways to deal with them. Just need to make up your mind which way you want to go and stay consistent with your treatments. I would agree with your friend 2 or 3 acceptable methods and alternate as needed so you don't overly treat your plants. I have recently overly treated my plants and sprayed at wrong times. So now it's pest damage AND foliage damage of my own doing. Best of luck!
Thankyou man I'll speak to him again about what you've said regarding systemics.

I've sprayed with the hydrogen peroxide today coz didn't wanna leave it until I get citric acid delivered without doing anything because I live in the middle of nowhere so takes a few days for anything to get to me.
I'll deffo keep it in mind not to over treat thankyou again!

Thankyou man I'll speak to him again about what you've said regarding systemics.

I've sprayed with the hydrogen peroxide today coz didn't wanna leave it until I get citric acid delivered without doing anything because I live in the middle of nowhere so takes a few days for anything to get to me.
I'll deffo keep it in mind not to over treat thankyou again!
Glad you were able to at least try the hydrogen peroxide. At least it is something you know. Especially being out in the middle of nowhere. I forgot to mention that I used it with plants outside. I haven't tried it with indoor plants. Sorry. What dilution did you use? Just 3% straight out of the bottle? Be careful if you use it straight out of the bottle later in flower. I think I fried some of my outer buds spraying too heavy with it.

Glad you were able to at least try the hydrogen peroxide. At least it is something you know. Especially being out in the middle of nowhere. I forgot to mention that I used it with plants outside. I haven't tried it with indoor plants. Sorry. What dilution did you use? Just 3% straight out of the bottle? Be careful if you use it straight out of the bottle later in flower. I think I fried some of my outer buds spraying too heavy with it.
Well I read somewhere that it should be 9 parts water one part hydrogen peroxide so I diluted it like 12 to one just to be safe and I didn't overly spray them because didn't want the humidity to go higher

Well I read somewhere that it should be 9 parts water one part hydrogen peroxide so I diluted it like 12 to one just to be safe and I didn't overly spray them because didn't want the humidity to go higher
Makes sense. Good move starting on the lighter side. What does your environment look like? Have you considered what was suggested earlier and put them back in veg? Or are you on a tight schedule?

it's an indoor grow but the weather has been drastic these past few days, went from 20c to minus and loads of snow in the space of a few days, don't know if this could have triggered something?
For the most part the Powdery Mildew spores that are outside will be killed off when the temperatures dropped to freezing and below at the beginning of winter. Since this is an indoor grow the mildew spores were already on your plant at least a month ago. My research on this mildew brings up that by the time the grower starts to notice the beginning of the white areas on the leaves the problem has been there for 3, 4 and sometimes 5 weeks.

One of the most popular sprays that a person could mix and use for mildew treatments is cider vinegar (5% acidity) mixed with water. A simple web search will provide you with all the info you need on the hows and whys that this mix works and the dilution ratio. Try the search words: powdery mildew vinegar to get all sorts of info.

I am not going downstairs to see what I have written on the spray bottle but I believe it is 1 teaspoon to a pint of water. Do not use 'white' or 'distilled' vinegar. I am not sure why but I have yet to find a source that recommends 'white' vinegar. The mix will leave behind an acidic layer on the surface and the spores will not attach to the leaf and it does seem to start to kill off the existing patches. It leaves behind a scar where the patches of mildew were but treating for mildew or anything else is not a beauty contest. A bonus is that the vinegar is a natural preservative so the mix does not go bad if there is some left so use it the next day.

The recommendation is 9:1 and mixing up a weaker solution might not do much good.
Do what InTheShed recommends. Spray the plant everywhere. Separate stems and spray all the leaves in that area. Move on and separate and spray the next few stems. Spray under the leaves. Be sure to get every area. The spray will create a surface environment that the spores will not survive on so the possibility that some increase of 1 or 2% in humidity is going to cause problems is not a point to worry about. When the mix dries it has created the barrier.

Get between every one of the buds and the branch. Avoiding doing that because the grower worries about more Powdery Mildew developing means that the problem is about 99% guaranteed to continue to get worse until by harvest it is so bad the plant has to be tossed into the trash.

Get the problem under control ASAP and since there is always the possibility that some mildew will still be found plan on doing a bud wash as soon as the plant is harvested. The first step will be a wash using water and Hydrogen Peroxide and then continue on with the standard bud wash as discussed in the "Bud Washing" thread.

Since you have a decently large grow have you considered mantis eggs? They spawn about 1500 ($15+-) from one egg and the mantis will devour anything insecty living in your grow and once they run out bad insects to eat they will cannibalize each other basically until they run the life course.....plus mantis are super social so while you wait for them to take care of your problem for you....you might make a bug friend along the way.

Look at how cute that mantis is bowing it's head for a pet.

maxresdefault.jpg

Screenshot_20220306-091831-883.png

Since you have a decently large grow have you considered mantis eggs? They spawn about 1500 ($15+-) from one egg and the mantis will devour anything insecty living in your grow and once they run out bad insects to eat they will cannibalize each other basically until they run the life course.....plus mantis are super social so while you wait for them to take care of your problem for you....you might make a bug friend along the way.

Look at how cute that mantis is bowing it's head for a pet.

maxresdefault.jpg

Screenshot_20220306-091831-883.png
Never even heard of mantis' suggested but that sounds like a perfect solution and exactly,they're cool too haha, thanks I will certainly look into that!

For the most part the Powdery Mildew spores that are outside will be killed off when the temperatures dropped to freezing and below at the beginning of winter. Since this is an indoor grow the mildew spores were already on your plant at least a month ago. My research on this mildew brings up that by the time the grower starts to notice the beginning of the white areas on the leaves the problem has been there for 3, 4 and sometimes 5 weeks.

One of the most popular sprays that a person could mix and use for mildew treatments is cider vinegar (5% acidity) mixed with water. A simple web search will provide you with all the info you need on the hows and whys that this mix works and the dilution ratio. Try the search words: powdery mildew vinegar to get all sorts of info.

I am not going downstairs to see what I have written on the spray bottle but I believe it is 1 teaspoon to a pint of water. Do not use 'white' or 'distilled' vinegar. I am not sure why but I have yet to find a source that recommends 'white' vinegar. The mix will leave behind an acidic layer on the surface and the spores will not attach to the leaf and it does seem to start to kill off the existing patches. It leaves behind a scar where the patches of mildew were but treating for mildew or anything else is not a beauty contest. A bonus is that the vinegar is a natural preservative so the mix does not go bad if there is some left so use it the next day.

The recommendation is 9:1 and mixing up a weaker solution might not do much good.

Do what InTheShed recommends. Spray the plant everywhere. Separate stems and spray all the leaves in that area. Move on and separate and spray the next few stems. Spray under the leaves. Be sure to get every area. The spray will create a surface environment that the spores will not survive on so the possibility that some increase of 1 or 2% in humidity is going to cause problems is not a point to worry about. When the mix dries it has created the barrier.

Get between every one of the buds and the branch. Avoiding doing that because the grower worries about more Powdery Mildew developing means that the problem is about 99% guaranteed to continue to get worse until by harvest it is so bad the plant has to be tossed into the trash.

Get the problem under control ASAP and since there is always the possibility that some mildew will still be found plan on doing a bud wash as soon as the plant is harvested. The first step will be a wash using water and Hydrogen Peroxide and then continue on with the standard bud wash as discussed in the "Bud Washing" thread.
I appreciate you taking the time to write all that man thankyou, I haven't don't what InTheShed said because I couldn't get my hands on it today I have ordered some but won't come until Wednesday, I also did it weaker because I know I'm going to treat it again once that arrives and somebody advised me about over treating the leaves, I use cider vinegar a lot to pH my water so I can always use that I'll do some research into that too, thankyou

Makes sense. Good move starting on the lighter side. What does your environment look like? Have you considered what was suggested earlier and put them back in veg? Or are you on a tight schedule?
IMG_20220305_220833.jpg
IMG_20220305_220910.jpg
IMG_20220305_220815.jpg
IMG_20220305_220826.jpg

This is what they currently look like, too far into flowering? Also height issues on 3 of the rooms can't let them get much taller?
What do you reckon?

Back
Top Bottom