Top Shelf's 1st Grow: Indoor RDWC, LED, 4x4 Tent, White Widow, Jack Herer, Big Bud

Re: Top Shelf's 1st Grow - Indoor RDWC - LED - 4x4 Tent - White Widow/Jack Herer/Big

Thanks redmud, I am not entirely sure how to keep the temps up in the tent when the lights are off. The only way I have been able to get them to the current temps and humidity is to keep the small fan and the inline fan off.

The lights are on a 18/6 schedule, that should be fine right?

Re: Top Shelf's 1st Grow - Indoor RDWC - LED - 4x4 Tent - White Widow/Jack Herer/Big

That's a good light schedule for sure I use a fan speed control on my extract fan to dial in the speed of it and get that balance they also have a temp control for fans that turn it off or on depending on the settings when you need it

Looks like the second set of leaves are coming now... Still seems slower then I was expecting and the roots haven't hit the water yet, but I suppose any growth is good!

420-magazine-mobile2099025319.jpg

Also, the stretched out stems aren't able to hold on the white widow, so doing some support.

420-magazine-mobile1721838889.jpg

Looks like the second set of leaves are coming now... Still seems slower then I was expecting and the roots haven't hit the water yet, but I suppose any growth is good!

420-magazine-mobile2099025319.jpg

Also, the stretched out stems aren't able to hold on the white widow, so doing some support.

420-magazine-mobile1721838889.jpg

Yeah with my first grow it took them about 8-9 days for the roots to make it to the water. It has been 6 days so far for you so that is totally within reason :) Here are some lessons I have learned the past few months:

1.) Hydroton is dry, like, really freaking dry, and generally devoid of nutrients, which isn't much fun for a new seedling! This grow what I tried was soaking the Hydroton for a few days before transplanting in a bucket of water with HydroGuard (friendly bacteria that helps promote a healthy root zone) and EarthJuice Catalyst (an organic non-burning mix of enzymes, amino acids, etc.).

2.) The second lesson was to wait until the roots were popping out the sides of the Rapid Rooters before transplanting, the first time I did it when I could see the first root but I think it is a better idea to wait that extra day and allow the seedlings roots to really fill out the Rapid Rooter. Applying these two lessons to my 2nd grow the roots hit the water in about 3-4 days, a huge improvement over the first time!

3.) Final lesson is to plant them farther down in the net pot. This is a lesson that I just learned this second grow, when I noticed that the two plants on the right hand side of the tent were growing slower/are smaller. Their roots took an extra day or so to hit the water because I had placed their Rapid Rooters higher up in the Hydroton so everything was the same height. What this meant was more distance for those poor baby roots to travel to reach the water

Trust me when the roots hit the water, it is all worth it! The plants explode and start growing by a whole node each day, it is truly magical :thumb: Just gotta be patient and trust in your girls!

I'm rooting for you and your girls pun intended lol

Things are looking good in the tent. The two White Widows have really started adding leaf growth, pretty happy with them.

420-magazine-mobile601136896.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1421292000.jpg

The Jack Herer is doing okay, roots are out the side and not quite in the water yet.

The Big Bud still had no visible roots outside the net pot, so still waiting on her.

Here are some pics of the roots on the white widows

420-magazine-mobile1339624627.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2069422528.jpg

Things are still stable in the tent and RDWC. Water temps sitting at about 20 degrees Celsius, so keeping an eye on that. pH is stable at about 6.0-6.1

What about PPM? I noticed mine has slowly been increasing each day about 30. Does that mean nutrients aren't being absorbed? It's at about 329 as of right now.

They are probably just drinking more than their eating right now.

They are probably just drinking more than their eating right now.

Cool, hope that's the case.

I am leaving them for a few days over Christmas, hopefully I come back to nice growth and white roots; and not a flooded basement!

I forgot I was filling the res once at work, what a mess

It seems your grow is very similar to mine after all. I'm doing mainline/manifold too and I'm waiting for mine to grow 6 nodes before topping to third and cleaning the rest. Right now I'm about 4 weeks from seed and the 6th node is just coming out so probably another day or two before I start training. Reason I'm waiting is they'll respond better to training a little more mature. Your grow is looking good, I'd suggest turning off your leds for pictures so the true colors will show. Good luck!

It's January 2nd and things are going well. Attempted to top to the third node today, and did mostly okay, except I didn't leave the growth tips intact for some reason, whoops! Not sure how bad it is, but we'll see I guess.

Also added some potassium silicate (in the form of pH Up) to beef up the stems.

Ppm sitting at about 1153 after adding nutes today.

420-magazine-mobile1186919991.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1425868584.jpg

Wow almost four months without an update!

My grow is competed now, with lots of lessons learned.

Lesson 1 - don't mix auto flowering strains with regular pheno starins especially in a RDWC

Lesson 2 - don't mix sativa with indica strains, especially in a RDWC

Lesson 3 - pay closer attention to exact steps on training methods

Overall I learned a lot and am happy with the result. I know I can do better though

Bud development wasn't great, mostly due to the one auto flower growing out of control so I had to adjust lighting to non optimal heights

I'll be doing an outdoor plant this summer and then starting off another RDWC in the fall

Thanks for all the help 420! Will be back again soon

Here are some pics

420-magazine-mobile539521087.jpg
420-magazine-mobile977525082.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1536349747.jpg
420-magazine-mobile987282600.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1312790048.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1496878772.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1144931623.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1677809680.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2045530085.jpg

Heya TopShelf, good to see you back! :love:

Sorry for not responding to your manifolding question back in December, I took a grow break after I came back from Christmas and my plants were dead (air pump fail) :laughtwo:.

Are those harvest pictures from the auto alone? That root ball and massive stem are quite impressive! Even though the buds look a little different than "normal", they look super frosty and potent. I'd enjoy a bowl with ya!
:Namaste:

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom