Trombone Is Playing With A Weedling

Trombone

420 Member
Greetings, friends.
I'm growing an autoflowering Critical Jack outdoors in coco.
I've been reading the forum a lot before starting, so I got the basics and I hopefully should not fall into the most embarassing newbie mistakes.
I also grow vegetables, so I do have a tiny little bit of gardening experience.

I would like to ask everyone willing to chip in their opinion to give me some advice, it will be welcome and very appreciated!

One thing I have to make explicit, though, is that for this first grow of mine I'm keeping the budget to a minimum, tools/equipment very rudimentary etc.
So please don't suggest "buy the ultra-ph-o-matic-2000" or "get an electronic EC-master-deluxe".
I might someday, but for now I'm giving it a try with common sense, forum reading, and lotsa lovin'.

I mostly use distilled (mineral free, EC 0, pH 7) water for watering, with some exception
- Every other watering I use some root-nutes (BioBizz Root juice) to promote rooting (germinated seed has been put straight into big final pot).
- Every 3 waterings I use bottled water with pH 6.7 and high in magnesium (for coco)
- Every 5 waterings I use tap water cause it's calcium rich (coco), but has pH 7.7 so I put one tablespoon of lemon juice in 5 liters (1 point something gallons).
- If it rains it gets rainwater.

I'm rotating these different sources of watering because, given that I'm not using measuring instruments, at least if one of them is not that good, at least it's just a portion of it, thus creating a more forgiving environment.

I'm just hoping that that won't be like going from ass to mouth (which in some rare instances, such as those wherein the heat of the moment dictates actions, is forgivable)... I mean, do you think it could make sense to feed a little bit of this and a little bit of that in order to get the lesser of among all evils by diluting in time different botanical nudges?

Temperature is 29°C (84°F).
Direct sunlight is not much: only 5-6 hours, with some more 11-12 hours of indirect light (yet very bright, because outdoors and surroundings are "white" walls. But it is quite strong mediterranean sun (US friends, think northern california)
Temp. at night: 15°C (some 59°F).
Lovin': lots.
Seedling looks healthy, stout, of a nice vibrant green.

Problem: growth slow as fuck.

Two weeks from germination, still only at first couple of 1-leaved serrated leaves. Height: a couple of cm (about an inch), and it's been like that for a whole week.

It's like it's telling me "hey dude, I'm fine, thank you for the lovin', but I'd rather stay small, 'cause it's fun to piss you off a little and flower in a couple weeks from now while I'm still tiny, LOL".
:confused:

The water I supply might not be acidic enough for coco, yet I read of many people that did just fine with neutral water.
Sun is not much too, but as I understand it, that implies a lower yield, but still a pretty healthy grow nonetheless.

I read about other people with less daily net illumination (e.g. indoors weakish lamps) that in 3 weeks have a couple feet tall plant.

Is there something I'm doing very wrong?

Thank you in advance for any tips

-- edit
I also have some nutes for veg and flower stages, but my understanding is that as of now it's too soon for veg feeding

Attachments

• 42e782de-6e65-4afc-9fe5-f0679f725673.jpg
    42e782de-6e65-4afc-9fe5-f0679f725673.jpg
    1,007.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 6aa374af-89b6-4cb0-9966-f784b6a4fca6.jpg
    6aa374af-89b6-4cb0-9966-f784b6a4fca6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Thank you Bobthe420Builder!

Should I feed with nutrients already at this early stage?

I thought that up to 3rd set of leaves or height of a couple inches (whichever comes first), plain water had to be used

I just realized that the actual night temperature here these days it's lower than I expected:
we get down to 9°C at night (49°F) and 28°C (82°F) during the day.
It's a big drop, but in spring here the air is dry...

Could it be that what makes a difference?

What I am wondering, guys and gals, is:

what, among the negative elements listed above, do you personally think is contributing the most to the growth halt?

Like low temperature, day-night temperature delta, water ph, partial shade at morning & late afternoon, etc....

I would like to change one parameter at a time, not drastically overturn my approach all of a sudden

3945ab86-9a56-4ecd-accc-c1d30d0453f3.jpg

Still healthy, still tiny.

Today I measured tap water pH and it was... 9!!
Holy crap, not 7, not 8, but 9!
Yet my weedling is still alive, after some occasional tap-watering (from now on, RO-only)..!

Will keep you posted on how this little tough stubborn lady will keep hanging on

You need to make sure when you use RO that you always add something to it.
In my case I always add coconut water and aloe vera.
RO all by itself can basically leach minerals and nutrients from the soil and roots because water is essentially a solvent .

Thanks buddy

I'm buying this product then: Acti·Vera - Biobizz
Biobizz Activera
It looks exactly like what you suggest
unnamed.jpg

Yes... Should I up to 1/2 strength maybe?
Next week I'm getting a ph-meter just to make things more scientific though

This is likely your pH if it's not in the 5.8 range.
Yellowing like that is usually associated with overwatering, maybe your coco is not draining like it should.
I see you have wood chips on top, do you have aeration mixed in, like pumice or perlite?

Being a 2+ week old autoflower, I am afraid that's a lost cause anyway, autoflowers cant phuck up the first 3 weeks or they're toast, get stunted and produce virtually nothing.

This is likely your pH if it's not in the 5.8 range.
Yellowing like that is usually associated with overwatering, maybe your coco is not draining like it should.
I see you have wood chips on top, do you have aeration mixed in, like pumice or perlite?

Being a 2+ week old autoflower, I am afraid that's a lost cause anyway, autoflowers cant phuck up the first 3 weeks or they're toast, get stunted and produce virtually nothing.

Thank you for your feedback!
I'm very sad about having to throw it all away though...
Given that it is my very first grow, I would be happy enough if I managed to resuscitate her and eventually get something for just a few smokes, say 1/8th of an ounce (3-4 g).
Do you think I have some hope of making my way through a potential mini-harvest, even considering the crappy conditions I've been growing her?

Back
Top Bottom