Legal 400W HPS Soil Grow 4 Plants

Aero808

Hello everyone. I'm a lucky Canadian entering the foray of home Cannabis cultivation. This is the first time I've ever grown anything and I'm hoping to achieve some decent results. I will be growing 4 plants under a 400w hps setup. The strains are as follows: 1 white widow, 1 northern lights, and 2 Skywalker OG girls from feminized seeds.

Day 1:

I soaked some rockwool plugs in some PH 6.5 water and put my seeds about a 1/4 inch deep. I then covered the plugs with a fine loose layer of coco coir and perlite to keep things nice and dark. They are sitting on a heat mat that keeps them nice and toasty. Humidity is in the 90 percent range, I think I may have overwatered. But seeing as though most people soak the seeds in a glass of water prior to planting, I'm not too worried about the high humidity for now. I'll just leave the dome off until humidity hits 60 and toss it back on then. I'll also be more mindful when watering going forward.

I'll be using a low wattage led lamp for lighting until they are moved over to the grow tent for vegging. Hoping to see some little sprouts soon!

Please feel free to offer commentary or advice at any time. I've spent some time looking at grow journals and reading things like the grow bible... but nothing compares to first hand experience. Some of you guys and gals have achieved amazing results!

Thanks for reading,

Aero

Attachments

• 20181214_193709.jpg
    20181214_193709.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 20181214_193731.jpg
    20181214_193731.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 20181215_140256.jpg
    20181215_140256.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 161
Congratulations on your first grow. What are you going to use for your growing medium. When your seeds germinate you will need to keep an eye on them for stretch. The low wattage led light looks to be pretty far from your plant tray.

Hi Killian, thanks for the response.

I'll be moving them into some solo cups with some gentle potting soil that I have amended with perlite and coco coir next. The final stop will be in 5 gallon grow bags with fox farm ocean forest soil.

I happen to have a second led lamp just like this one. Do you think I should use both? Or maybe just move them right to the grow tent under the 400w hps right away? The lamp I'm using now is 18 inches tall.

I start mine in the ffof with perilite and right under the 600 watt HID as soon as they germinate. Never had any problems. Lots of people saying the soil is to hot for seedlings. That's bs. All I've ever used and never burnt my plants from to much nutrients. I use the metal halide for vegging and then switch to the hps for flowering. I would start with my light around 30" above my seedlings to start and if they start stretching lower it a little bit each day until they like it.

That's interesting. I heard that the Ocean Forest is too hot too, hence the gentle potting mix at first. At least it only costed 4 dollars... haha. I'll put one of the skywalker kush directly in to the fox farm and the other into the gentle mix and compare results. I've also heard that you don't need to add any nutes for the first 2 weeks with ocean forest. Are you adding nutes sooner?

You will be good for four weeks without adding nutrients. Most will advise you to start out at 25% and see how they respond. Which is good advice. I've found that starting out at 50% with the Fox farms nutrients is a good starting place. My current grow i didn't feed for three weeks and then started at 50%. I since have been feeding at 100% and they have responded well. I now veg my plants under the LED lights while I flower under the hps light only because I wanted to start growing a perpetual garden. I don't have any experience with other brand nutrients so I can't comment on them. You can take a look at my journals linked to my signature and see the results I've been having.

Pleased to report that all 4 seeds have formed taproots after 48 hours of hanging out in Rockwool plugs. I gently took a pair of tweezers and reoriented a couple of them so the tap root is pointing down. The northern lights seemed to figure out how to do this on it's own and the taproot is the entire length of the rockwool plug! The heatmat is definitely doing it's magic.With a little luck I should see some little sprouts reaching up for the light in the next day or two.

Also wound up ordering some Vivosun metal halide bulbs on amazon. Figured I should do vegging the right way... and for 20 bucks a bulb you can't go wrong! Also added some scrog netting that attaches to the tent poles to my order. What an exciting time to be alive!

Cheers,

Aero

The boxes of grow equipment have been arriving nearly every day. I enjoyed a day off and took the opportunity to set up the grow tent as well as I could without all of the components. The tent itself is nice and roomy, with plenty of room for the carbon filter and light/reflector. I should have about 5X4X4 feet of usable grow space, which for my goals will be plenty. I just need my ducting to arrive and I'll post some pictures of the setup.

I also learned a lot about rockwool. The more I learned, the less I liked the idea of using it as my starter grow medium. They wound up just being really expensive paper towels. All 4 seeds have some nice taproot development, I gently removed them from the rockwool cubes with tweezers and planted them about a half an inch deep into my gentle potting mix.

I've also borrowed my old mans phillips led grow bar to light the area where I'm growing seedlings. Quite the upgrade over my little led desk lamp for sure.

Still hoping to see those sprouts break soil soon!

Attachments

• 20181216_171927.jpg
    20181216_171927.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 154
The Northern Lights and one of the Skywalker OG's have popped up to say hello... totally validating all of the effort and time I have put in to this project. Can't wait to amp things up!

Attachments

• 20181218_203035.jpg
    20181218_203035.jpg
    726.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20181218_203050.jpg
    20181218_203050.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 20181218_203244.jpg
    20181218_203244.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 20181218_203300.jpg
    20181218_203300.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 150
Hello everyone. I'm a lucky Canadian entering the foray of home Cannabis cultivation. This is the first time I've ever grown anything and I'm hoping to achieve some decent results. I will be growing 4 plants under a 400w hps setup. The strains are as follows: 1 white widow, 1 northern lights, and 2 Skywalker OG girls from feminized seeds.

Day 1:

I soaked some rockwool plugs in some PH 6.5 water and put my seeds about a 1/4 inch deep. I then covered the plugs with a fine loose layer of coco coir and perlite to keep things nice and dark. They are sitting on a heat mat that keeps them nice and toasty. Humidity is in the 90 percent range, I think I may have overwatered. But seeing as though most people soak the seeds in a glass of water prior to planting, I'm not too worried about the high humidity for now. I'll just leave the dome off until humidity hits 60 and toss it back on then. I'll also be more mindful when watering going forward.

I'll be using a low wattage led lamp for lighting until they are moved over to the grow tent for vegging. Hoping to see some little sprouts soon!

Please feel free to offer commentary or advice at any time. I've spent some time looking at grow journals and reading things like the grow bible... but nothing compares to first hand experience. Some of you guys and gals have achieved amazing results!

Thanks for reading,

Aero
Welcome to the wonderful world of getting high on your own supply.

The boxes of grow equipment have been arriving nearly every day. I enjoyed a day off and took the opportunity to set up the grow tent as well as I could without all of the components. The tent itself is nice and roomy, with plenty of room for the carbon filter and light/reflector. I should have about 5X4X4 feet of usable grow space, which for my goals will be plenty. I just need my ducting to arrive and I'll post some pictures of the setup.

I also learned a lot about rockwool. The more I learned, the less I liked the idea of using it as my starter grow medium. They wound up just being really expensive paper towels. All 4 seeds have some nice taproot development, I gently removed them from the rockwool cubes with tweezers and planted them about a half an inch deep into my gentle potting mix.

I've also borrowed my old mans phillips led grow bar to light the area where I'm growing seedlings. Quite the upgrade over my little led desk lamp for sure.

Still hoping to see those sprouts break soil soon!
I will pull up a chair and watch too

Things are coming along nicely. The northern lights is definitely leading the pack, followed by a Skywalker OG, the white widow sprouted and looked a little sickly at first. Maybe transplant shock? Or overwatering? Anyways... I haven't watered it since and it is starting to perk up a little. That makes 3 out of 4... pretty sweet considering Meatloaf states 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

I'm still waiting for that damn ducting to arrive, so these little ladies can move in to their own room. I keep getting delivery delay notifications. Damn postal strike! Not too worried though, they seem to be doing pretty well in their temporary home.

Attachments

• 20181221_153450.jpg
    20181221_153450.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 20181221_153458.jpg
    20181221_153458.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 20181221_153529.jpg
    20181221_153529.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 141
  • 20181221_153536.jpg
    20181221_153536.jpg