Urban Achievers Inner City Seeds of Promise

Damn! The DLSR really beats the crap out of my 750$ phone w. 20 megapixel cam..... wish I could capture those awesome shots with this thing. Both my seedlings came up what's sounds similar to your white widow. Doubled over but as soon as the felt light they totally jumped to attention :) hopefully yours will too.
I like where your head is at with the 5000 and 6500 combo Urb. I had the exact same thought process and later today the girls will be under their own 6500k and sharing the light from one 5000k. All is looking well so far! Keep it up and keep us posted :)

-dabber

Yeah I think the WW will be ok. As far as the lights go, I am just following what someone else planned lol, I think I have a basic understanding of the temperature needs for seedling/veg. I know I dont need the 2700k or the stretch it brings. Yeah that 100mm macro is worth more than my camera lol.

I should try and see if my mini dslr camera can take some nice pics like that.
I am using a Canon T1i, pretty simple, if you have any questions about it I can probably answer them. I have taken an online photography course years ago and I have been dabbling in the hobby since then. I hope to take some good shots this grow.

I love that scene!

So, uh, racially he's cool then?
They're not actually his children...
420-magazine-mobile830502628.jpg

That is the best shirt I've ever seen! Great handle!! Awesome!!!

I love that scene!

So, uh, racially he's cool then?
They're not actually his children...

That is the best shirt I've ever seen! Great handle!! Awesome!!!

Yeah a truly awesome movie, great scene, Phillip Seymour Hoffman really ties the cast together. I also picked up another shirt with a big outline of Walter's face...lol its pretty cool too.

Alright, I lied, I will be throwing down a few bits of knowledge down because lets face it, sharing is caring, and knowledge is power.

I will share with you some photography tips/tricks/basics in return for all you have shared with me. I am no expert and much like this hobby, there is a ton of free info out there, so dont take my word for anything. This info is probably already on 420 somewhere.

Manipulating depth of field

F-stop is essentially the amount of light you let into the camera during a photo, and that in turn, controls depth of field. (But there are exceptions...another time). The lower the number the more light you let in to the camera eye and the faster the photo will be captured, if the light is bright enough, resulting in less depth. For this assume we are talking full sunlight or in a grow room with lots of light. My camera lens for these shots has a range of F2.8 to F32

This photo of the challenged White Widow (#2 WW) was taken at F2.8. Notice the extremely blurred background and small focus on one area? Its like focusing on single vertical plane of 3 dimensional space, if you look on the upper cotyledon it is on the same plane of existence as the budding leaf, putting both in focus. This can be used as a tool to tell a story. Like showing off a seed pod or male pollen sac.
IMG_0013295.JPG

Here is #3GC the short stocky seedling, this photo was taken at F7.1 or something, still fairly shallow but it lets more of the plant become the focus. In retrospect I could have gone up another stop and have more focus OR go the other way and have just the fresh true leaves in focus. The background is still creamy, bokeh is the term, you can see shapes but no definition. This puts all the focus on the subject and doesnt have anything distracting the eye.
IMG_0014265.JPG

This last shot of #4, the taller seedling, was taken at F11 or something close. I wanted to see the seedling, and have the stem be a part of the composition because it was curved towards the light and was interesting. Now I am making the camera eye basically squint, so I need more light/time, to get it all in focus quickly enough to prevent blur.
IMG_0015270.JPG

Summary
Low F-stop (2.8) =more light entering eye, very fast photos in bright light, less depth if field.

Medium F-stop (7.1) =moderate amount of light entering eye, good camera speed in bright light, moderate depth of field.

High F-stop (16) =less light entering eye, slower camera speed in bright light, high depth of field.

Thats it. Its much more sciency than that with ratios and blah blah blah. But in a nutshell thats the deal.

#1 BD is no longer in the race. #5 BD is still between some paper towel in a warm dark place awaiting her photo shoot. Temps are around 76 and humidity is around 53. Pots still have weight to them. I figure a few days more at least but hoping for a week more before they need a drink.

Just found this UA, I'm so in! I'm excited for you and these pics are amazing can't wait to see bud shots with the macro lens lol

How tall does Blue Dream typically get? Your a sativa man I take it?

Just found this UA, I'm so in! I'm excited for you and these pics are amazing can't wait to see bud shots with the macro lens lol

How tall does Blue Dream typically get? Your a sativa man I take it?

I dont have much of a preference, and since this is my first grow, I am unsure how tall she will grow. I will have to keep her fairly short as my flower tent is only 6'6" and then there is the height of the pots and lights to consider. Should be ok. For the most part I will avoid pure sativas due to my grow space height restrictions.

Looking good so far Urban. I'll join in the fun.

Cheers.
Glad to have you here! I am just happy there is growth at this point lol

...:ciao:...:popcorn:...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:
Welcome hook! If I dont have your grow in my subscribed list I will go and check her out.

Thanks for Tutorial on apeture and shutter. I can't get enough of SLR stuff.

Also, magicjim grows BD you may want to visit his journal.

Thanks G2HM, I dont have a lot to share, but if I can help at all I hope to do so. Just the basics anyway, if folks are interested in going further, there is a ton of tutorials and helpful websites out there. I have been keeping an eye on Jims journal. At this point I dont have a BD, the first seed didnt pop, and this second seed hasnt budged after two days in paper towel. I will hold out hope that I will get to see for myself what the BD is all about.

Cheers everyone, puff puff pass

:blunt:

Well, after two days in paper towel #5 BD has not cracked, and I dont want to risk wasting more time...so I dropped an Amnesia x OG freebie from Royal Queen Seeds into a shot glass. I will let it soak for a day then try to get her to germinate. I will keep #5 BD soaking and see if it responds. Might have 5 plants in the grow if they both pop. I secretly wanted to try this Amnesia OG anyway.

The GC are still progressing past their first set of true leaves, and the White Widow is slow to break free but its going to be fine.

UA, you left out an important part - what lens you're using. I don't have a good lens for close ups, but I've been getting by with the basic 55-250mm.

Great shots and tips!

Pardon I'm a bit late. Subbed!!
welcome Katins! You are pretty early in the scheme of things, not much happening just yet, glad to have you on board!

UA, you left out an important part - what lens you're using. I don't have a good lens for close ups, but I've been getting by with the basic 55-250mm.

Great shots and tips!
thanks DW! The basic 55-250mm is pretty versatile and can be used for everything. I still have my 18-55mm kit lens and make use of it often. Seems I failed to mention that those seedling shots were taken with my 100mm F2.8 Macro lens. A great lens for taking photos of insects, flowers, and other small things. My best piece of equipment is a tripod to stabilize the camera, it gives me clear sharp photos.

Its game on. #5 Blue Dream had a tail. It has been planted. Took the Amnesia x OG that was soaking in the shot glass and placed it in the paper towel. May have been a slight mistep or a rookie mistake but I havent fed my organic soil an aerated compost tea yet to kick start the soil biota. Thanks @bobrown14 for updating the organic soil building thread. I should have pre-soaked my soil with a tea before planting.

Making my first compost tea brew. I filtered some tap water, about 3 gallons. Put in a bit less than half a cup of boogie brew mix and probably a quarter cup of earthworm castings. The soil will get a thorough soaking with the tea in 36 hours.The boogie brew is just the normal common ingredients for compost tea I already have with a few other additions that I dont feel like collecting lol. Its an open source tea recipe. Once its gone I will use what ingredients I have already acquired (alfalfa, bat guano, ewc) to make teas.

:smokin:

Next update, a few pictures

I was mistaken UA - I meant the 18-55 not the zoom lens. Shows how rusty I am! My DSLR is an old Canon EOS Rebel XS, it's old but it has served me well over the years.

I was mistaken UA - I meant the 18-55 not the zoom lens. Shows how rusty I am! My DSLR is an old Canon EOS Rebel XS, it's old but it has served me well over the years.
I'm buying as real dslr this year and looking forward to it. No more mini dslr for this guy.

Back
Top Bottom