Status
Not open for further replies.
how long can pollen be stored and still be viable ?
I think if it is kept dry, in the fridge for a week and in the freezer for a year. You can mix with a bit of flour or rice to keep dry. Also about 3 days at room temp.

I think if it is kept dry, in the fridge for a week and in the freezer for a year. You can mix with a bit of flour or rice to keep dry. Also about 3 days at room temp.

Freezer time it is. I’m hoping to use it during winter I will be trying some more seed making.

How did it go with your spraying and the pm?

I have mixed feelings about mine, the clones are on top of the food chain but the moms don’t seem to get out of the stains/marks. I’m not too sure what’s going on with the moms, they aren’t bad at all but I wish they didn’t have any spots on them.

What’s the recommendations for pollen storage ?
Hi Dan, I've stored it a few times. Just a chucker here. I put it in a jar with a dessicant pack. Not sure if that's the perfect way but it's the way I tried. So it can be viable 6 months later for me. I store it in the fridge. Some cultivars seem to degrade faster than others. For instance, a Red Sky only produced a few seeds when its sister, Black Poison Skunk, collected at the same time made many more. Fresh is best. A second pollination seems a gift.

Hi Dan, I've stored it a few times. Just a chucker here. I put it in a jar with a dessicant pack. Not sure if that's the perfect way but it's the way I tried. So it can be viable 6 months later for me. I store it in the fridge. Some cultivars seem to degrade faster than others. For instance, a Red Sky only produced a few seeds when its sister, Black Poison Skunk, collected at the same time made many more. Fresh is best. A second pollination seems a gift.
One important thing is to let the jar come to room temp BEFORE opening the lid when you go to use it! Otherwise it'll collect a ton of moisture from the room and be ruined!

Thanks a lot Stone. :Namaste:

I’ve only had like 3 males ever since I started growing, so not much experience on storing pollen since I have used it fresh to pollinate.

I should be able to harvest some pollen next week. Some of them look like they are gonna pop
C42BB0AC-9074-4786-9789-A81746564E1B.jpeg

One important thing is to let the jar come to room temp BEFORE opening the lid when you go to use it! Otherwise it'll collect a ton of moisture from the room and be ruined!

Thanks a lot Stone. :Namaste:

I’ve only had like 3 males ever since I started growing, so not much experience on storing pollen since I have used it fresh to pollinate.

I should be able to harvest some pollen next week. Some of them look like they are gonna pop
C42BB0AC-9074-4786-9789-A81746564E1B.jpeg
humidity/water will kill the pollen and make it unviable on contact. Keep it dry dry... like mentioned before flour is great... also diamotacious powder is great mix for storing

Important tip!
Thank you, Otter.

humidity/water will kill the pollen and make it unviable on contact. Keep it dry dry... like mentioned before flour is great... also diamotacious powder is great mix for storing
@Mycelium Farmer , great tip! Thank you!
How much de?

Finally able to update on the mothers; many things happen in a week with fall officially here temperatures are getting low at night and humidity is building up, rain season is at the door.
PM is there for sure the chunky skunk doesn’t seem to be having a great time.
The 6 day in between watering is taking it’s toll, I’m not surprised they have issues due to the high amount of stress. For the most part they are doing the job, making bud (the ones that can).
I’m still wanting to keep trying the different microbial solutions all the way till the end.

Personal Sativa
and she starts to flower finally. No signs of major issues, well besides the fact that this is gonna be for November and I’m ok with that. It has been a learning experience specially this pheno.
1C9A7EED-54A4-4D84-887F-0F3B3BB589C3.jpeg
AAE9B0C2-5880-4180-8136-5D3E394FF752.jpeg
E919712F-F083-4602-9145-55C209D0B297.jpeg
D333081E-5ACF-4849-8C81-7E7EFA7D51C6.jpeg

Duterte’s nightmare
Also showing some progress, by far the healthiest pheno from the gang, not a single problem, all green all good. For November.
I started looking back on my journal and around June and July all these plants had pre flowers and had a real potential of finishing on time, digging them up cost me the whole month of August, this is the biggest reason we are so behind.

D56FD646-933C-4A21-BC24-93655448B786.jpeg
63456C32-9764-4A8D-BB10-35D801D6149B.jpeg
926C8252-C8A4-4118-ACCB-5CCA6F318AFE.jpeg
59DD58D1-A3C4-4C08-97A2-E549F4E83A98.jpeg
529B4FFA-4D3C-46C1-A7BF-126A1A9E7C5F.jpeg

chunky Skunk
What can I say, she is budding but not the healthiest looking girl in the house, consistent yellow on mid to lower fans, almost no bud on that part of the plant not even popcorn. The tops on the other hand are sizing up and filling. She has lots and lots of good looking bud sites. No signs of backing down the PM marks, not too sure what I’m dealing with this particular pheno, same diet for all, same foliar, same soil, different reactions. I ran out of times for ideas, I will try to make some seeds of this one, I’m not done with her yet, I want another shot at her next year.
C081A923-9CDC-42A1-958E-ED0EF8453723.jpeg
69DA3642-2224-4D16-856E-EE717DF11C5A.jpeg
F3139344-55E5-46B7-AA05-8709899A3FB3.jpeg
13825AB8-13E4-469B-BD65-6FFBD86D7877.jpeg
BE5E9A7D-44E8-4CC1-9396-4359E9B84A6B.jpeg
EA241A2A-AAAB-497B-9FAA-8F1354777C9B.jpeg
81A46D44-2C40-4DFE-AEE1-1219974ECC2D.jpeg
E4B5F6C6-47AF-4439-B0DC-1B74A67EFB02.jpeg

Xenomoprh (Durban poison)
Looks good and smells good. The tops are really taking up some weight, she has less problems than I expected. After a 20 mins inspection for bud rot or mold, I did not find anything. PM probably there but not like the chunky skunk, I know now not to spray PM on my plants lol @Azimuth
I’m still using different microbial solutions on my foliar the experiment needs to go until the end.

I also did a look back at my journal with this one, had pre flowers for sooo long. Anyway if we tested something out with this grow was the amount of stress these plants can handle, holly F*ck they can handle some pain.
38B0337F-B8CD-4124-868F-586AC49CA117.jpeg
0729C3BB-487C-4676-A4FF-D0E2D56B41B8.jpeg
9D5D3B31-EB10-44FC-9681-C9C71695096E.jpeg
62581893-723B-4B76-A948-9C1A0E7EF586.jpeg
1B3DC9B5-40C2-4813-9554-F6F5F015E1B6.jpeg
9B3A6E5B-8C2F-427A-B1D2-FA692D4A2F49.jpeg
CFD0CDCE-62E2-4567-9D5A-1C713D6911A5.jpeg
9BB7836D-9FA7-4753-8D1E-5AADDEC253E2.jpeg
C5259EBE-8101-4E45-83DB-C0039305F355.jpeg
9764685B-7A28-42AB-A64A-F05B0C0D9580.jpeg

Anyway if we tested something out with this grow was the amount of stress these plants can handle, holly F*ck they can handle some pain.
Lots of plants can handle stress, but not all can come out the other side looking as good as your's do! Maybe there really is something to this whole 'using microbes to grow stuff'. :hmmmm:

Lots of plants can handle stress, but not all can come out the other side looking as good as your's do! Maybe there really is something to this whole 'using microbes to grow stuff'. :hmmmm:

I mean I babied them all thru veg with consistent microbe watering multiple types of teas, foliar, companion flowers… but I gave them some boot camp extreme training, messed up their pheno structure and restructuring it to my pleasure… then messed up their root system caging them in pots, messed up their photoperiod putting them in a pickup box for 3 days… and left them on a whole different environment to flower. Ohh then I had a brilliant idea to spray them with PM and try to get rid of it lol.

This has been the hardest grow I have ever done of any plant. Undisputed hardest.

But I’m not done with it, I want more I want more microbes, more teas, more experiments. I have to be objective I owe it to myself and the process of using natural resources to feed plants.

I gotta ask for some feedback, that chunky skunk is dealing with something. I’m at the point of saying it could be a cal/mag problem locking out Nitrogen and Phosphorus, adding to that a root bound issue… o will do a full autopsy of root mass, I can imagine the root system is enormous the size of the pot.

I just started reading @NuttyProfessor 2021 journal using microbial solutions to feed the plants. Issues do happen.
I gotta find a way to add calcium, magnesium to the teas.

Anyways those are the plants, I’m happy with it so far. Next year will be better.

:lot-o-toke:

I'd bet it's a root bound issue so, unless you're going to try to up-pot into something bigger, I'm not sure what you can do. Maybe lots of worm castings to try to get what's needed and the microbes to deliver them to the plant?

Maybe could also try a worm casting tea foliar to try to bypass the root issue?

Dunno.

I'd bet it's a root bound issue so, unless you're going to try to up-pot into something bigger, I'm not sure what you can do. Maybe lots of worm castings to try to get what's needed and the microbes to deliver them to the plant?

Maybe could also try a worm casting tea foliar to try to bypass the root issue?

Dunno.

Imma do that, worms casting. The weird thing is she is making some good looking bud, just the lower part is like it was week 9 of flower, we are not there yet with this one.
The 1 time a week watering is also playing a roll in depleting the grow medium out of nutrients.

I probably need another journal just on the amount of notes I’ve been taking.

Thanks for your input.

Imma do that, worms casting. The weird thing is she is making some good looking bud, just the lower part is like it was week 9 of flower, we are not there yet with this one.
The 1 time a week watering is also playing a roll in depleting the grow medium out of nutrients.

I probably need another journal just on the amount of notes I’ve been taking.

Thanks for your input.
We're all just groping around in the dark with this stuff, and documenting what works and doesn't helps further the art for future grows and growers. I've enjoyed following your journey of discovery with all these inputs.

Nutty's journal is a good read. Unfortunately we haven't seen him in quite a while. I think he stopped growing cannabis for security reasons and took up micrograms using the same inputs. Would be great to have him back around at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom