What am I dealing with?

Makeminefullgrown

Ok guys, I swear this is my last post concerning my plants. I have asked a lot of questions and gotten many excellent and well thought out responses….but this time I’m gonna be more specific.
I’ve been growing these 3 autos for close to 16 weeks. I’m all good with 2 of the 3. They are very slow to finish but they are finishing and within 2 weeks both will be totally ripe with a fair number of amber trichs and I’ll chop them.
The 3rd plant is really confusing me. She has lots of long hairs, most have turned orange, but they are not receding. I’m thinking maybe they have died or dried out??
Literally the buds have looked this way for nearly 3 weeks….I haven’t noticed any change….other than a few of the whites turned orange.
The trichs are around 75% cloudy, the rest are clear.
I’ve continued to feed, very light doses of bloom nutes. I’ve lowered the intensity of my LED, and over the past 3 weeks I’ve went from 18/6 to 16/8 to 12/12 with my light cycle.
I’m told my temps are not ideal, but low to mid 70s is not extreme. My rh varies in the 35-45%.
My one real screw up was defoliating too aggressively about 3 weeks ago. The colas on the slow plant really have no leaves remaining.
Is this an example of a slow maturing plant that I should just wait out? Or is something wrong? The buds seem awfully dry but they are dense and a lot more solid than they look.
The pics are of the plant I’m asking about but you can see one of the others and how different they are.
Thanks to all that reply…I appreciate the feedback.
CEADF72B-E665-483D-BA4B-28F48099F35C.jpeg
EEEF86DA-F8B6-4716-8DF6-05DC2E1F8A2C.jpeg

Looks great! What strain is it? Is it a different strain from the other two? Your low temps should be fine, especially while getting close to harvest...

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Makeminefullgrown

Your lady looks fine, and to answer your question. Yes, defoliation can slow down a plants growth.

As for the bud dryness, how high is your light above your plant? With low humidity the light can dry the buds out fast.

Last thing the last couple weeks is when the buds fill out and ripen (add on weight). Why are you trying to slow down growth?

If you start a grow journal we will be able to follow along and help when needed. Here's the link.

How to Make a Grow Journal

Also, after you have over 50 post you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

All three plants are Super Skunk autos, from the same seed pack. As u can tell the 2 plants in the pic are quite different. The third is a nice combo of those 2…..I’ll post a pic of it. I’m just worried about the hairy one…..hardly any leaves left and I can’t see where it’s really doing anything….like no progression over the last 2-3 weeks.
Maybe when I defoliated too much it set it back a good ways. Each morning I keep thinking I’ll open the closet door and see those hairs all tightened up….but it just stays the same. It’s day 108 since sprout and that’s a long time for an auto.
I’ll keep waiting…..maybe with the most recent light reduction to 12/12 it will get things done.
Thanks for all the replies.
This pic is the 3rd plant that has traits of both the others.
7B7B3C40-24E5-49F3-858C-48873FCC71A6.jpeg

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Makeminefullgrown

Your lady looks fine, and to answer your question. Yes, defoliation can slow down a plants growth.

As for the bud dryness, how high is your light above your plant? With low humidity the light can dry the buds out fast.

Last thing the last couple weeks is when the buds fill out and ripen (add on weight). Why are you trying to slow down growth?

If you start a grow journal we will be able to follow along and help when needed. Here's the link.

How to Make a Grow Journal

Also, after you have over 50 post you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:
Oh I’m not trying to slow anything down on purpose. The defoliation was a big mistake. I thought it would be a good idea to open things up so all the buds could get direct light. Then I got scissor happy and cut way too many.
The light is an HLG 320xl led….I’ve got it about 24” from the tallest cola and running about 75% intensity. It’s a powerful light and was too much at full blast.
I don’t sweat plants taking their time and needing much longer than breeder timelines……and 2 of my 3 have always shown slow progress. But the hairy plant hasn’t changed a bit in at least 2 weeks…..maybe longer.
I cut the light cycle to 12/12 to help facilitate finishing……as they seem to be oblivious to their auto side. this is day 108 since sprout they have all been very slow to do their thing. I know I caused some of it and won’t make that mistake again.
Thanks for the reply.

Is she taking up water and/or nutrients? PH'd?

edit: are you coco or soil?
Growing in Ocean Forest and she is taking up water…..as for the nutrients I’m mixing them in the water but I’ve suspected a long time that I have some kind of lock out.
Two weeks ago I gave them a mini flush…..only ran a few gallons through and filled up two catch trays. The first was 1400-1500ppm and the second was 700-850ppm. I should have continued but didn’t. The next time I watered I gave nutes but a light dose that was around 450ppm (my tap is 144ppm), so only around 300ppm of actual nutes. I watered to runoff and the ppm was 1100.
I’ve never fed heavily. The first 5-6 weeks I gave nothing but water and occasional fish sh!t. I never gave more than 1000ppm.
So the answer to your question is I don’t know. It’s taking less water to get a runoff, but the pot is drying out at about the same rate as before. I’ll give about 2/3 gallon each watering. They are 3 gal pots but I left too much room at the top, so they aren’t filled to the rim.
I’d love to hear your input.
I’m wondering if a full flush…..like dump 8-9 gallons through it over an hour or more. Totally reset things and then a light dose of nutes to finish up.

Ok guys, I swear this is my last post concerning my plants. I have asked a lot of questions and gotten many excellent and well thought out responses….but this time I’m gonna be more specific.
I’ve been growing these 3 autos for close to 16 weeks. I’m all good with 2 of the 3. They are very slow to finish but they are finishing and within 2 weeks both will be totally ripe with a fair number of amber trichs and I’ll chop them.
The 3rd plant is really confusing me. She has lots of long hairs, most have turned orange, but they are not receding. I’m thinking maybe they have died or dried out??
Literally the buds have looked this way for nearly 3 weeks….I haven’t noticed any change….other than a few of the whites turned orange.
The trichs are around 75% cloudy, the rest are clear.
I’ve continued to feed, very light doses of bloom nutes. I’ve lowered the intensity of my LED, and over the past 3 weeks I’ve went from 18/6 to 16/8 to 12/12 with my light cycle.
I’m told my temps are not ideal, but low to mid 70s is not extreme. My rh varies in the 35-45%.
My one real screw up was defoliating too aggressively about 3 weeks ago. The colas on the slow plant really have no leaves remaining.
Is this an example of a slow maturing plant that I should just wait out? Or is something wrong? The buds seem awfully dry but they are dense and a lot more solid than they look.
The pics are of the plant I’m asking about but you can see one of the others and how different they are.
Thanks to all that reply…I appreciate the feedback.
CEADF72B-E665-483D-BA4B-28F48099F35C.jpeg
EEEF86DA-F8B6-4716-8DF6-05DC2E1F8A2C.jpeg
Reminds me of this Afghan x OG I ran a few years back. Let her roll until the pistils stop popping fresh ones, then check your trics.

AE6BE131-3F02-4A62-805F-9FECE9038AD7.jpeg

Reminds me of this Afghan x OG I ran a few years back. Let her roll until the pistils stop popping fresh ones, then check your trics.

AE6BE131-3F02-4A62-805F-9FECE9038AD7.jpeg
I looked at her close this morn and she’s still got a few calyces spitting out pistils. I guess it will eventually finish as long as having virtually no leaves on the upper parts of the colas doesn’t kill it.
Other than on the sugar leaves it has no amber trichs…..they’ve been mostly cloudy and holding for almost 3 weeks.
Oh well, I’ve heard of autos running 18-19 weeks so I guess it’s not impossible.

Back
Top Bottom