What exactly is 35% THC anyway?

AutoNautPsychoFlower

35% of what, what do they mean, how do they test, standards and best practices??? Help me please :)

Ive been trying to find good explanations of this for lay folks like myself. Havent found much. However I know that this is the kind of place that can dumb it down enough for me. :)

Dispensary lists these insane amounts of thc. I buy some and get yeah super high but comparatively... I dont know. Im not sure if Im missing the train on all those extra percentage points or if this is more it depends on who you ask and when you ask stuff. Same applies to when buying seeds and trying to get info on the likely thc/cbd potentials.

Any interest in chatting and sharing knowledge on this?

35% of what, what do they mean, .....
Good question. Start by asking the staff and especially the owner or manager at the dispensaries that list the numbers on the products they are selling. You might not get much info if the staff is afraid of giving an answer because they do not understand the legality of what you are asking but it is a start.

Then try tracking down the names and contact info on the companies that do the testing.

Some info on testing procedures might be propitiatory and is protected because it is unique to a testing company but the basics of what you are asking should be public knowledge. Just have to find it.

The state department that handles the licensing of all these businesses might have the info on their website. A bit of digging and following links needed but it sounds like public knowledge. Or, call the state department and see what they have to say.

It means when you buy 100 grams of 35% THC weed, you are buying 35 grams of THC and 65 grams of other stuff. Having higher THC doesn't always mean it will make you higher than a different strain with a lower THC.
Yes, bud material that's sent to a lab that tests out at 35% THC means the bud material is literally 35% composed of the THC molecule, by weight. That's a lot! I mean just imagine, you've got a fat, dried bud in your hand, and over 1/3 of the weight of that bud is the weight of the resin... specifically the weight of the THC in the resin. The resin, from the resin glands (trichomes), contains THC and sometimes other cannabinoid molecules in significant amounts (e.g. CBD, CBG, CBN, etc.), terpenes, and flavonoids. In a bud with 35% THC, the resin is composed mainly of the THC molecule (specifically, THCA).

Cannabis testing labs use sophisticated equipment to run cannabinoid tests on samples of dried bud material, resin, oil, or tincture. The cannabinoid test will show how much THC, THCA, CBD, CBDA, CBG, CBGA, CBC, CBCA, etc., is in the sample. Then the lab produces a report with this information which is called a "COA", which stands for Certificate of Analysis. If you buy flower or concentrates from a dispensary, you can ask to see the COA for the product you are buying. If they give you a sheet of paper (or a PDF file) and it doesn't have the name of the lab on it, it's not authentic – the COA must be the document produced by the lab.

COAs are a big thing in the cannabis industry. If you are looking for a specific type of high-CBD hemp seed, for example, you would ask to see the seller's COA for that seed. This gives you some confidence that the seed will produce plants with flowers that contain the amount of CBD that the seller is advertising for that strain of cannabis. A lot of shenanigans goes on with COAs, so caveat emptor! (Phenotypes complicate this... read on...)

If you are a home grower looking to buy seed from a big-name seed seller, it's not very common for them to supply COAs. You can ask to see one, but probably more often than not, they won't be able to provide one. Instead, you'll need to fish around on the internet and look for strain information websites... for example, google for: Girl Scout Cookies strain info. Some sites will come up and you'll be able to check the known THC (and/or CBD) levels for that strain. Sometimes seed for a given strain will produces more than one phenotype, meaning genetically different characteristics, inclding sometimes differences in the amount of THC (and/or CBD, etc.) The number of phenotypes is typically one, two, or three. Different strain information website often have conflicting information, so it's a tricky situation.

Once you get a good sense of the expected percentages of cannabinoids for a given strain, then you can shop around at the seed sellers and see what THC% they are advertising, indica/sativa percentages, etc. Does it match up with your research? If so, you have some confidence about what to expect when growing out the seed and harvesting the buds. If you are a medical cannabis grower, your state may allow you to have access to the testing labs, so you can have your buds tested.

Over time, it gets easier and easier to recognize quality seed and dependable sellers.

Remember that the testing was performed on A bud - that isn't in the jar. That documentation means that someone sent a gram to a lab for analysis. It does not necessarily mean that every gram in that specific harvest would have the same results. In fact, it usually doesn't. You end up with a range. Lab results are generally indicative - hey, this tested at 26.5%, it's stronger than this other one that tested at 22%. But you never know. The high-test one might have been an anomaly. Or it could be one that produces stellar numbers... once in a while, and the other one might not have such a high peak - but a better average.

Sometimes, a lower THC strain will give you a better buzz than a higher THC strain, anyway. And the one that gives you the better buzz might not be the same one that gives someone else the better buzz. If you're not already familiar with the strains on offer, ask if you can buy a small "sample" of several and then come back and buy a lid of the one that worked best for YOU.

As for the THC/CBD/etc. numbers that you see in strain descriptions when shopping for seeds, well... Even assuming that they're legitimate - what's to stop a breeder from having multiple samples analyzed until he/she gets one that es likes, lol? Also, a strain might have two, three, four, or even more phenotypes. If that's the case, there's no way to ensure that the plant you're growing is the same phenotype as the one that produced the sample that was analyzed.

You pays yer money, you takes your chances. I think the late, great Fats Waller said that.

I'm very surprised that considering all the medical dispensaries are having this certification done. I have not seen one documented process. There is no secrets, and there shouldn't be. I should get the same analysis from each testing facility. I understand variable, and slight tolerances. But there is no consistencies in testing.

I remember a time, and I'm not super old.

You had that good old people weed or schwag/Flint town brown. Once or twice a year someone would peddle some delicious Hydro.

Now I feel like the more they tell me it has, the less it gets me high. It's gotta all be in my head. And then. . . Someone else says the same thing.

Fingers crossed on federal legalization. Then an official process can be implemented, controlled, and documented. Until then it's probably kids doing data entry.

Fingers crossed on federal legalization. Then an official process can be implemented, controlled, and documented. Until then it's probably kids doing data entry.
The feds are gonna keep this miracle plant suppressed as long as they can, cuz it competes with the pharma branch of our corrupt govt (among other things).

I've heard rumors of dispensary product being poorly cured and then they add terps back into it. So I suspect the low quality is coming from lack of terps. I personally can't wait until our state legalizes adult use... it could happen soon.

But I think the testing labs are doing a good job. Science ain't a bad thing when done right, and they've got some badass equipment to do it right.

Lot of info to digest here. Still finding it weird to grab a premium top shelf dispensary nug and look at it and see it as 1/3 solid thc. Kind of fun too though to be honest lol.
Yes, bud material that's sent to a lab that tests out at 35% THC means the bud material is literally 35% composed of the THC molecule, by weight. That's a lot! I mean just imagine, you've got a fat, dried bud in your hand, and over 1/3 of the weight of that bud is the weight of the resin... specifically the weight of the THC in the resin. The resin, from the resin glands (trichomes), contains THC and sometimes other cannabinoid molecules in significant amounts (e.g. CBD, CBG, CBN, etc.), terpenes, and flavonoids. In a bud with 35% THC, the resin is composed mainly of the THC molecule (specifically, THCA).

Cannabis testing labs use sophisticated equipment to run cannabinoid tests on samples of dried bud material, resin, oil, or tincture. The cannabinoid test will show how much THC, THCA, CBD, CBDA, CBG, CBGA, CBC, CBCA, etc., is in the sample. Then the lab produces a report with this information which is called a "COA", which stands for Certificate of Analysis. If you buy flower or concentrates from a dispensary, you can ask to see the COA for the product you are buying. If they give you a sheet of paper (or a PDF file) and it doesn't have the name of the lab on it, it's not authentic – the COA must be the document produced by the lab.

COAs are a big thing in the cannabis industry. If you are looking for a specific type of high-CBD hemp seed, for example, you would ask to see the seller's COA for that seed. This gives you some confidence that the seed will produce plants with flowers that contain the amount of CBD that the seller is advertising for that strain of cannabis. A lot of shenanigans goes on with COAs, so caveat emptor! (Phenotypes complicate this... read on...)

If you are a home grower looking to buy seed from a big-name seed seller, it's not very common for them to supply COAs. You can ask to see one, but probably more often than not, they won't be able to provide one. Instead, you'll need to fish around on the internet and look for strain information websites... for example, google for: Girl Scout Cookies strain info. Some sites will come up and you'll be able to check the known THC (and/or CBD) levels for that strain. Sometimes seed for a given strain will produces more than one phenotype, meaning genetically different characteristics, inclding sometimes differences in the amount of THC (and/or CBD, etc.) The number of phenotypes is typically one, two, or three. Different strain information website often have conflicting information, so it's a tricky situation.

Once you get a good sense of the expected percentages of cannabinoids for a given strain, then you can shop around at the seed sellers and see what THC% they are advertising, indica/sativa percentages, etc. Does it match up with your research? If so, you have some confidence about what to expect when growing out the seed and harvesting the buds. If you are a medical cannabis grower, your state may allow you to have access to the testing labs, so you can have your buds tested.

Over time, it gets easier and easier to recognize quality seed and dependable sellers.
Really great info! Thank you so much!

How much farther do you think we will push the THC envelope percentage wise?

The feds are gonna keep this miracle plant suppressed as long as they can, cuz it competes with the pharma branch of our corrupt govt (among other things).

I've heard rumors of dispensary product being poorly cured and then they add terps back into it. So I suspect the low quality is coming from lack of terps. I personally can't wait until our state legalizes adult use... it could happen soon.

But I think the testing labs are doing a good job. Science ain't a bad thing when done right, and they've got some badass equipment to do it right.
I live in a state with legal recreational weed and yeah it’s great but taxed so high people are driving 2 hr.s to Michigan. And all this dispensary weed is not all that cracked up to be. I blew 100.00 bucks on 1/8 of Maui Wowi thinking it’s gonna be like that great Hawaiian I smoked in 70/80s. What a disappointment, it’s not bad but nothing like what I hoped for.

Your all doing well over the pond.
Think of most poor europeans.
We dont or wont have the option to buy it legal.
For years if it ever happens.
And growing it wow cant see that.
In the uk i see us being silly and allowing only offical growers.
Gov licensed or even gov grown and sold.
Again unfortunately i think years away if ever.
Right now the uk could do with a cash injection.
But we are talking about cutting this and upping that taxes etc etc.
Free the weed collect some taxes make some money.
rant over ;)

Your all doing well over the pond.
Think of most poor europeans.
We dont or wont have the option to buy it legal.
For years if it ever happens.
And growing it wow cant see that.
In the uk i see us being silly and allowing only offical growers.
Gov licensed or even gov grown and sold.
Again unfortunately i think years away if ever.
Right now the uk could do with a cash injection.
But we are talking about cutting this and upping that taxes etc etc.
Free the weed collect some taxes make some money.
rant over ;)
Our dispensary weed is all owned by corporations which I don’t know what is worse government owned or the other. But we can grow 4 plants so that’s cool.

Definitely had better smoke before all the medical and recreational. Now they use all this bs data to charge you more. Taxes. Pfst.

Don't get me started. Damn near 22% when I go pick up herb. Taxing on medical prescriptions. Shame on everyone involved. Tax recreational all day, just as everything else indulgent. But medical should go to the patient, affordable, first always.

Now days they will sell your order right out from under your face. That pisses me off.

Definitely had better smoke before all the medical and recreational. Now they use all this bs data to charge you more. Taxes. Pfst.

Don't get me started. Damn near 22% when I go pick up herb. Taxing on medical prescriptions. Shame on everyone involved. Tax recreational all day, just as everything else indulgent. But medical should go to the patient, affordable, first always.

Now days they will sell your order right out from under your face. That pisses me off.
Amen brother, Amen.

Amen brother, Amen.
What gets me is ya gotta give yer email address and then they email you to tell your order is ready while your waiting in line. Reason why is day’s later they bomb your mail with their so called special’s. I went there once!

Exactly!! I'm watching "Cannabis To Save My Life" right now, and studied have been done that cannabis helps with cancer, specially RSO. There is also a youruber van life guy who treated his dog's cancer with cannabis. I'd rather try cannabis over chemo first.

I've also reach some studies on cannabis and covid, and the cannabis protects receptors in the lungs that inhibit most of the covid spike proteins from entering. People can still get it, but a lower percentage chance and typically more mild.

Big pharma would lose trillions

I agree... it's all just a disgusting money game. Well, you could say that about the govt as well, the Congress, state gov, all of it. Money corrupts.

The miracle plant of planet Earth needs to be liberated, and that's gonna happen by We The People. Plant-It Earth, Weed the People!

:tommy:

Exactly!! I'm watching "Cannabis To Save My Life" right now, and studied have been done that cannabis helps with cancer, specially RSO. There is also a youruber van life guy who treated his dog's cancer with cannabis. I'd rather try cannabis over chemo first.
cool, I'm gonna try to check that out

I've also reach some studies on cannabis and covid, and the cannabis protects receptors in the lungs that inhibit most of the covid spike proteins from entering. People can still get it, but a lower percentage chance and typically more mild.
Yes, CBDA and CBGA... the pre-decarboxylation molecules of CBD and CBG. You could call them "raw" CBD and CBG.

"...cannabigerolic acid and cannabidiolic acid prevented infection of human epithelial cells by a pseudovirus expressing the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein and prevented entry of live SARS-CoV-2 into cells...."

I believe the paper says these come from "hemp," but they really mean to say they are found in cannabis Type II, III, and IV chemotypes. If one were to make a "raw" extract going for CBDA and CBGA, the presence of THCA wouldn't be a problem, because THCA is not psychoactive.

Big pharma would lose trillions
Babylon will fall, and we will stand tall!

Back
Top Bottom