What's going on here?

Cheschire

I have 6 Super Skunk clones that were in 1 gal. Pots for 2 weeks in fox farm happy frog, moved them to 5 gal pots with ocean forest...3 days after transplant I get these symptoms in the matter of 48 hrs. Using R/O water, pH 6.2. I gave them half strength veg nutes 5 days before transplant...at transplant I used 1/8 tsp recharge and pH 6.2 r/o waterit just seems early for cal-mag problem...it started looking like phosphorus deficiency...then the leaves got all dry and brittle and withers up. I know ocean forest is a hot mix, that's why I didn't add any nutes at transplant...kinda stumped because it starts looking like 1 deficiency and morphs into multi- looking symptoms. New growth looks fine, that's why I'm leaning towards a deficiency because it's all older leaves affected.

IMG_20230430_094605.jpg

IMG_20230430_094557.jpg

IMG_20230430_094550.jpg

IMG_20230430_094543.jpg

IMG_20230430_094532.jpg

Not sure I can help as I don't have much experience with soil, but any time i have multiple deficiencies show up, its always a pH issue. Got any fans blowing directly on the plant? The middle leaf of the bottom picture looks like leaves I've had that I always assumed were from wind damage. They always had more of a flat color discoloration unlike a deficiency. Just my two cents, hope you get it figured out!

Not sure I can help as I don't have much experience with soil, but any time i have multiple deficiencies show up, its always a pH issue. Got any fans blowing directly on the plant? The middle leaf of the bottom picture looks like leaves I've had that I always assumed were from wind damage. They always had more of a flat color discoloration unlike a deficiency. Just my two cents, hope you get it figured out!
Not blowing directly on plants

Hi - when you transplanted did you water the whole of the pot thoroughly to, say, 20% run off?
I would be trying a high potash/seaweed drench with CaMg, such as a good quality tomato fert [I use Tomorite, UK]
Hope you get it sorted, Super Skunk produces some thumping smoke/oil/edibles
Not gonna lie...I watered them until I ran out of water...they all ran out a full drip tray... Pretty close to 20%...I was wondering that also...if I had some build up from the smaller pot and didn't get it flushed out enough. I typically have to empty my drip trays 3 times per watering and this time I did not do that

looks like something going on with potassium to me. kinda leaning to excess over def. only because they are drying and curling faster than losing color in places.

flat out guess.

edit : could probably use a stronger light. could be the mix is too hot for the plant to use under the light.

looks like something going on with potassium to me. kinda leaning to excess over def. only because they are drying and curling faster than losing color in places.

flat out guess.

edit : could probably use a stronger light. could be the mix is too hot for the plant to use under the light.
I have 2 of the sunblaze lights in the veg tent... have never had a problem with veg cycle under these lights, that's why it's throwing me in a loop

I have 2 of the sunblaze lights in the veg tent... have never had a problem with veg cycle under these lights, that's why it's throwing me in a loop
potassium or phosphorous problems always look like both deficiency or excess. leaves that curl and dry out faster than changing color is usually a good indicator of an excess.

the fact it showed up after an up pot to a hotter mix is a clue pointing to possible excess.

potassium or phosphorous problems always look like both deficiency or excess. leaves that curl and dry out faster than changing color is usually a good indicator of an excess.

the fact it showed up after an up pot to a hotter mix is a clue pointing to possible excess.
True... I just got back from the grow store and showed some pics to some of my homies there and they said that there might be some possible root problems and suggested to flush them out with some SLF -100 to cleanse the roots and clean up any excess bad bacteria and build up of nutes and add some recharge for good bacteria- and hold off on the nutes

True... I just got back from the grow store and showed some pics to some of my homies there and they said that there might be some possible root problems and suggested to flush them out with some SLF -100 to cleanse the roots and clean up any excess bad bacteria and build up of nutes and add some recharge for good bacteria- and hold off on the nutes

figures. the flush recommend is likely more to wash out the nutes from the up pot to hotter mix.

Hey @Cheschire,
These are under sunblaze T5 florescent blue light...temps get up to 76 at max. Humidity from 38-45%...lights are 18 inches above canopy
This is a tough one. There seems to be two things going on with the leaves...
1682941361194.png
1682942191627.png

It seems the leaf on the left is showing one or more deficiencies, but the localized and rapid onset is crazy. Why would a couple leaves do this in the span of 48 hours, when the rest of the leaves look great? It makes me want to think something happened with the roots, like some roots got damaged in the transfer, or there's something in the new soil that negatively impacted the roots. I don't think the soil is "too hot," unless you got a defective bag. The splotchy chlorosis on the leaf makes me think of fungal infection – possibly because the roots picked up something? The necrosis spots look like Ca deficiency. I think your new soil may have had fungus gnat eggs or larvae in it – the larvae attack the roots, and the symptoms appear in the leaves and look like what you've got.

The leaf on the right ... this is also weird. Perhaps humidity is too low, coupled with the lights being too close. I grow outdoors here in Hawaii and my humidity is always in the 55-99% range, and typically 70-85%, and the plants love it. BUT... if your plants were doing OK in the 1 gal pots, why would they freak out like this after transfer? This could also be from root damage, from fungus gnats.

Hey @Cheschire,

This is a tough one. There seems to be two things going on with the leaves...
1682941361194.png
1682942191627.png

It seems the leaf on the left is showing one or more deficiencies, but the localized and rapid onset is crazy. Why would a couple leaves do this in the span of 48 hours, when the rest of the leaves look great? It makes me want to think something happened with the roots, like some roots got damaged in the transfer, or there's something in the new soil that negatively impacted the roots. I don't think the soil is "too hot," unless you got a defective bag. The splotchy chlorosis on the leaf makes me think of fungal infection – possibly because the roots picked up something? The necrosis spots look like Ca deficiency. I think your new soil may have had fungus gnat eggs or larvae in it – the larvae attack the roots, and the symptoms appear in the leaves and look like what you've got.

The leaf on the right ... this is also weird. Perhaps humidity is too low, coupled with the lights being too close. I grow outdoors here in Hawaii and my humidity is always in the 55-99% range, and typically 70-85%, and the plants love it. BUT... if your plants were doing OK in the 1 gal pots, why would they freak out like this after transfer? This could also be from root damage, from fungus gnats.
That's what we concluded...I did a drench with SLF-100 to flush any salt buildup and remove any bad fungus and other stuff and gave them some recharge-good bacteria cultures - new growth looks normal, but yah...this was a first for me

Cool. What is SLF-100 and does it kill fungus gnat larvae? Also what kind of cultures did you give? Product name?

I used Dr. Z for pests and larve, recharge is the name of the microb mix...it has all the good stuff like blackstrap molasses and all the micro nutes
Slf100 is a solution that flushes excessive salts and strips damaged roots and basically breaks them down as absorbable nutes... stimulating new root growth from damaged

Back
Top Bottom