WW's 2nd Grow - Borderliner XTRM - 2x2 - Single Plant- LED - Reveg?

That's pricey in consumption indeed!
Yes, if you can you should install the heater horizontally because it will distribute the heat better. I wanted to do it too but I didn't have enough room in my tiny 60x60cm tent! My heaters are 30cm long and the tent is 190cm high so I don't lose too much heat from the way they are installed. If it would have been 1m long ones that would have been sort of ridiculous indeed.

Here's what I read on white LED panels :

"Lately, there has been a wave of companies that are using all white LED’s in their design. These lights follow the more familiar color temperate range that we commonly know from HID and T-5 bulbs, 2700K-6500K. Although this makes a light that is closer to what we are all used to seeing as far as color, it negates one of the most important benefits of LED lights, not wasting energy on light the plant can’t readily absorb and use!

Some are touting that they have replicated the spectrum of the sun. That’s great and all, but the big difference between the sun and your grow light is that the sun has an endless supply of nuclear energy, so it’s not that concerned with expelling energy in those lesser used spectral ranges, plus those colors mixed together make the world a beautiful place. Your grow light and pocketbook on the other hand, would rather not waste unusable energy and your plants could care less if they aren’t seeing the world in real color. In fact, they’ll thank you for the purple world they grow in because they know that you’re doing your part to conserve for the planet, while giving them what they need to succeed."

So far I feel that these brands are trying to bring something different than we already know and they got great arguments and everything but I believe that we will have a proof of their effectiveness (perhaps superiority?) in the next years. I mean if you look at LED, it took 4-5 years for growers to see these panels as a great replacement for HID lamps.
I'm a skeptical guy :)

Seems expensive to have a huge fancy white spectrum panel and buy another one for veg only. Are you sure they can mess up your plants even if they are 120cm away?

That's pricey in consumption indeed!
Yes, if you can you should install the heater horizontally because it will distribute the heat better. I wanted to do it too but I didn't have enough room in my tiny 60x60cm tent! My heaters are 30cm long and the tent is 190cm high so I don't lose too much heat from the way they are installed. If it would have been 1m long ones that would have been sort of ridiculous indeed.

Here's what I read on white LED panels :

"Lately, there has been a wave of companies that are using all white LED's in their design. These lights follow the more familiar color temperate range that we commonly know from HID and T-5 bulbs, 2700K-6500K. Although this makes a light that is closer to what we are all used to seeing as far as color, it negates one of the most important benefits of LED lights, not wasting energy on light the plant can't readily absorb and use!

Some are touting that they have replicated the spectrum of the sun. That's great and all, but the big difference between the sun and your grow light is that the sun has an endless supply of nuclear energy, so it's not that concerned with expelling energy in those lesser used spectral ranges, plus those colors mixed together make the world a beautiful place. Your grow light and pocketbook on the other hand, would rather not waste unusable energy and your plants could care less if they aren't seeing the world in real color. In fact, they'll thank you for the purple world they grow in because they know that you're doing your part to conserve for the planet, while giving them what they need to succeed."

So far I feel that these brands are trying to bring something different than we already know and they got great arguments and everything but I believe that we will have a proof of their effectiveness (perhaps superiority?) in the next years. I mean if you look at LED, it took 4-5 years for growers to see these panels as a great replacement for HID lamps.
I'm a skeptical guy :)

Seems expensive to have a huge fancy white spectrum panel and buy another one for veg only. Are you sure they can mess up your plants even if they are 120cm away?

Yes that is very true. It would be a waste to run these if the plants have hit their limits in relation to what it can absorb before saturation. (Probably a better way to word what I'm trying to say) They have stated on the SPYDRx site that the LEDs work best with CO2. Like in the section you mentioned in the post, at some point the plants will only be able to absorb so much from a light before it's wasted, so with CO2 I'm assuming they will be able to take more and produce bigger more potent yields.

I'm very skeptical too, especially with new technology and at this price. The only reason I'm learning towards it is the fact I can get the panel at a great price right now. And if it does end up being a "superior" lighting solution I'm ahead of the game .

My plan was to have 2x 1.2m2 trays with 18 autos so 9x 18l pots in each tray. The panel I'm buying will only cover a 1.2m2 area so I will need a second unit and I won't be able to afford another SPYDRx. The SPYDRx retails for $1500 plus shipping and i would get crippled with our 23% VAT rate . I was looking into the Mars hydro as a second unit but I'm interested to see how your goes. I still have another 6 - 7 weeks before my ladies are finished so plenty of time to research and reviews

Expensive upfront but I can see the costs coming down over time with less equipment running trying to control heat and no big HIDs or ballasts.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Okay I understand why you're tempted to go for this panel. If you get a great price for it that's hard not to buy it...

I was expecting a bigger plant on this grow compared to the previous one but it's not happening. I think it's down to the genetics or the breeder.
Anyway I think I'll be able to pull a higher yield this time thanks to the panel.

Okay I understand why you're tempted to go for this panel. If you get a great price for it that's hard not to buy it...

I was expecting a bigger plant on this grow compared to the previous one but it's not happening. I think it's down to the genetics or the breeder.
Anyway I think I'll be able to pull a higher yield this time thanks to the panel.

Just had a look at your previous grow. That was a monster of a harvest. Has there been any change since the last one except the lights ?

Nah man it was good for a first grow and for such a compact plant but if you want to see a real good harvest you should have a look at PurpleGunRack's THC Bomb yield on his mother hunt journal. He pulled 126g from one plant! I think that yield should always be referred with the number of veg weeks because if you do some mainlining and veg for a year and a half you can pull 1kg.

What mainly changed here is the pot and the added perlite. I got a really good drainage and you see the effect on the plant.
Today I decided that I won't LST the plant, I got 8 mains colas (around 16 on the previous grow) and I'm going to aim for fewer but bigger buds. I'm switching in about two weeks! The plant is the compact kind so I won't have the same problem you got :)

No reveg either with this plant, the smoke is nice but it hits you so hard that you just go to bed :)
It's good for people suffering from insomnia but I like to be alert and productive (with the Borderliner XTRM it takes you 45 minutes to write a forum post), so I'll be growing a 1:1 CBD/THC ratio strain, probably the Super Silver Haze CBD.

Still, I'm super excited about this grow and the new panel!

Nah man it was good for a first grow and for such a compact plant but if you want to see a real good harvest you should have a look at PurpleGunRack's THC Bomb yield on his mother hunt journal. He pulled 126g from one plant! I think that yield should always be referred with the number of veg weeks because if you do some mainlining and veg for a year and a half you can pull 1kg.

What mainly changed here is the pot and the added perlite. I got a really good drainage and you see the effect on the plant.
Today I decided that I won't LST the plant, I got 8 mains colas (around 16 on the previous grow) and I'm going to aim for fewer but bigger buds. I'm switching in about two weeks! The plant is the compact kind so I won't have the same problem you got :)

No reveg either with this plant, the smoke is nice but it hits you so hard that you just go to bed :)
It's good for people suffering from insomnia but I like to be alert and productive (with the Borderliner XTRM it takes you 45 minutes to write a forum post), so I'll be growing a 1:1 CBD/THC ratio strain, probably the Super Silver Haze CBD.

Still, I'm super excited about this grow and the new panel!

Yeah pretty impressive for a first grow all the same. Mine were a little over an oz lol.

I see she's staying short and bulky, I wish mine had of started off like that, I might have avoided such thing as turning things on their sides haha. The led definitely seems to be helping. She looks great :)

Yeah I'm the same, I like a nice hard hitter for night time, as long as my eyes squint I'm happy :) but I need an uplifting clear buzz during the day or shit doesn't get done lol. Oh yes I know the struggle!! Iv been 30 mins into a post and end up doing the whole thing again .

I really want to try out Girl Scout Cookies. Heard some great things. It's a hybrid with high CBD content. I was also looking at CBD Shark. It's a 1:1 CBD TCH ratio.

Have you been to leafy.com ? I find the site great for reviewing and finding certain strains

These seeds got weird genetics, I don't mind the fact that they are rather short but the only thing that I don't really like is that they grow slowly.

The Girl Scout Cookies seems like a nice strain but it's a low yielding strain and the CBD content stalls at 0,2%. The CBD Shark is indica so not really for me :)
Gonna have a try at that Super Silver Haze CBD and see if I can grow a plant with good genetics for a good reveg potential (if I like the smoke and the high).

I spend quite some time on Leafly! It's indeed pretty resourceful even though a lot of strains aren't in their database.

Back to my girl :

IMG_79986.JPG

That's her today and as you can see she's been growing a bit but seems to be stalling like in my previous grow. I'm going to switch to flowering tonight and feed her some veg nutes in the next two weeks.

Hey WW, how's the lady coming along ? Are things starting to move again now in flowering ?

Alright so I did some defoliation and I keep on hitting her hard with veg nutes :

image110080.JPG

As you can see, flowers are already starting to appear. I changed my mind about LST and I'm going to tie some branches down in one or two days because I'm really going to miss some potential big colas.

Alright so I did some defoliation and I keep on hitting her hard with veg nutes :

image110080.JPG

As you can see, flowers are already starting to appear. I changed my mind about LST and I'm going to tie some branches down in one or two days because I'm really going to miss some potential big colas.

They look very green and healthy .

I reckon your right about the LST, she has some shoots out the sides that could have big potential. And since you only have the one you might as well maximise the growth.

Looking good as always WW keep up the great work ✌️

Start of week 4 of flowering :

IMG_121743.JPG

I removed an extra 30 minutes from the light schedule so now it's got about 11 hours of light per day.
Looking good overall, I'm going to defoliate some more today!

Thank you guys! I'm quite happy on how it's going but I do regret I didn't bother LSTing earlier. I was too lazy but now that I look at my plant I feel kinda stupid :)

Not related to this grow :

I received all the Biobizz nutrients and the light mix soil for the next grow (and some perlite)!

I also received a Plenty vaporizer and I LOVE IT! I'm not that good with smoking so this stuff is just perfect. The vapor is smooth and super tasty. I did have to order a chamber reducer because the original chamber is just too big if you're alone.

Thank you guys! I'm quite happy on how it's going but I do regret I didn't bother LSTing earlier. I was too lazy but now that I look at my plant I feel kinda stupid :)

Not related to this grow :

I received all the Biobizz nutrients and the light mix soil for the next grow (and some perlite)!

I also received a Plenty vaporizer and I LOVE IT! I'm not that good with smoking so this stuff is just perfect. The vapor is smooth and super tasty. I did have to order a chamber reducer because the original chamber is just too big if you're alone.

Not being lazy makes a big difference;)

I recommend you rinse the perlite until the water is no longer milky you can use a smart-pot or a bucket with a lot of little holes drilled in the bottom.

Be sure to wear a dust mask when handling the perlite it's very unhealthy to breathe the dust!

Mix the perlite with Light-Mix, 1 part perlite to 2 or 3 parts Light-Mix(volume, not weight!), I usually just mix until I think it's fluffy enough. The tiny handful already in the Light-Mix isn't enough:)

Yeah you're absolutely right but I didn't care much because I'm not a fan of the high from the Borderliner. I'm a sativa guy growing indica so I'm not as excited as I should be but growing cannabis remains very rewarding and satisfying so I'm still a happy camper ;)

I made that mistake last time, coughed like crazy with the perlite dust! Very clever idea to do it with a smart pot, I'll do it when I get my soil ready. On my current grow I did 1/3rd perlite with the special mix from Gold Label but somehow I got the feeling that I have too much drainage. Maybe I should have pressed down the medium a bit with my hands?

I just tap the pot on the ground as I fill it up to get the soil to set, of course not to much - there shouldn't be much resistance when you stick a finger in the soil.

Back
Top Bottom