WW's 1st Grow - 2x2 Tent - Single Plant - LED - Borderliner XTRM - Soil - Reveg

Got the new fans!

IMG_088144.JPG

IMG_088034.JPG

IMG_088237.JPG

It's awesome quality, even though it's a generic motor that you can find in other fans, the rest is pretty well done.
It's way noisier than before and I gotta make them run kinda slow... It mostly come from the upper part that is making an echo. I got some soundproofing foam that I'm going to glue inside the bent pipe to try to lessen it. Might work.

The plant is doing good but there's still no stretch... 42cm high and it's not supposed to be a short strain. I'm going to check the soil pH to be sure I'm not messing anything up. Maybe it comes from some stress early in the grow when I had the lights too close.
For feeding I set the pH at around 6.3-6.5 and then add the nutrients (recommended by Canna). And between feeding I water with clear water pH @ 6.3-6.5.

Anyone got an idea?
Cheers!

Putting foam inside the pipe won't help much, not enough anyway.

It is air pressure noise, and the way to reduce it is either longer pipes, or pipes with a lot of turns etc (ie, not straight). This breaks the pressure.

Get a longer soft pipe, the one with double layer (shiny inside, black outside). Get 2 meters and put it after the metal pipe. you could arrange it in a spiral that would rest above the tent's roof, or may be it can go down to almost touch the floor ?

it will be much less noisy like that.

In the meantime, if you turn the pipe to face the back wall, or the side, it should already be less noisy than when it is facing you like on the pic. If you use foam, then the best is to put it outside in front of the pipe outputs, if it faces a wall, you put the foam on that wall.

I know sound acoustics, and it would costs a few hundred bucks to use real acoustic foam for this. They are made to block a short range of frequency, and to block all the frequencies, you would need more than the thing you find in so called "silent pipes" which is useless without the adequate length, and it is also a matter of breaking air pressure and indirectly reduce noise of the air flowing, but by itself it is totally unefficient in blocking out any frequency. There are cheaper stuff that one can use (and not egg boxes please, they are useless and dangerous too :) )

and why not get a second plastic tank for the fan too? (much cheaper and adaptable than the acoustic boxes they sell) :)

I hope it helps.

That's awesome that you know sound acoustics because I've been looking at a lot of things!
My friend also thought about making a box for the fan too. I might do that. Or get a bigger one that would receive the fan and the carbon filter. I'm gonna try to play around to see what's best!

Got an idea why my plant isn't stretching? I know that most people like short plants but I had some thing else in mind :)

Some strains don't stretch a lot. Also, with LEDs you can force stretching by putting the lights a couple of inches higher and see what it does in the next 2 or 3 days. Don't put it too high immediately, it is a bit surprising how fast it can stretch and you can put it even higher later, no need to hurry.

Got an idea why my plant isn't stretching? I know that most people like short plants but I had some thing else in mind :)

My lights are already 75cm from the plant... That's why I'm starting to think that I messed up something.

PS : I might build a plastic container 2.0 for the noise issue :)

i don't think you messed anything, it is probably the strain or this individual. My Orange Hill special is very slow to grow, it won't stretch much (i've read somewhere that there is a correlation between the strength of the growth in the first days and the stretch).

My lights are already 75cm from the plant... That's why I'm starting to think that I messed up something.

PS : I might build a plastic container 2.0 for the noise issue :)

My LED is 8" away from my plants. Why? Because they like it. Every strain is different. even every Pheno is different. If it doesnt stretch dont worry.. It could literally be nothing youre doing wrong. If conditions are right and it doesnt stretch (like a pheno in my journal) thats how she goes. These plants we love WANT to grow. Dont over think it. :)

Alright alright alright :)

I know that this strain stretches more normally (other Borderliner XTRM journal) :

UPP_RADAD.JPG

i've read somewhere that there is a correlation between the strength of the growth in the first days and the stretch).

That's exactly what I've been reading! The only major thing that I've been doing wrong was in the first days, when I had my lights 30cm from the seedling and when I started to have the leaves curling as first sign of light burn.
That early stress had an impact I'm certain. But like you said it's looking healthy so it's all good.

If I wanted to have a bigger plant is because I'll be regenerating and I need to only chop the top 2/3rd. I might be wrong but I had in mind that if I would cut the top 2/3rd on my small plant I wouldn't be left with much and it might not recover from the chopping. If it remains that size I'll do a classic harvest with no reveg.

Anyway thank you guys for the great comments!

Here's flowering day 19 :

IMG_088836.JPG

IMG_088936.JPG

43cm high and it's gonna receive its first flowering nutrients in two days! It looks like it might need some defoliation but since I'm not very experienced I thought about leaving it like that. What do you guys think?

Looking really sweet mate :thumb:

Don't worry about defoliating, they can take it.

Any small bud site under the canopy can be removed, if you deem it of worthy potential remove leaves above to expose it to light.
Tucking leaves is also an option, but they often spring back up easpecially after watering.

In the upper right and left corners it looks like there are leaves shading decent looking bud sites;)

in addition to what purplegunrack said, I would check what is under the leaves and remove the leaves if there are branches with buds that would benefit more light. Especially in the center of the plant. Remove only a few now (between 4 and 8) , and a few more in a few days if you want (4 to 8 more). You should do it a second time a couple of weeks before cropping to expose all buds and prepare the plant for manicure, it will make it easier at the end :)
I think you can remove most leaves that are at the bottom of the plant (the big one that are in the shades now) unless you prefer to let them yellow a bit before cutting them. You can help the plant by cutting leaves that are loosing there color due to aging. it is more or less the only care to give to the plants during the last month.

Man that thing is getting bushy haven't checked in here in a while. Looking nice tho. I just had to build a bigger grow room yesterday cuz my 3 outgrew the old one in a week and was chopping leaves in the fans lol.

Wow! Stoked from the answers here! Thank you guys!

Don't worry about defoliating, they can take it.
In the upper right and left corners it looks like there are leaves shading decent looking bud sites;)

in addition to what purplegunrack said, I would check what is under the leaves and remove the leaves if there are branches with buds that would benefit more light. Especially in the center of the plant. Remove only a few now (between 4 and 8) , and a few more in a few days if you want (4 to 8 more). You should do it a second time a couple of weeks before cropping to expose all buds and prepare the plant for manicure, it will make it easier at the end :)
I think you can remove most leaves that are at the bottom of the plant (the big one that are in the shades now) unless you prefer to let them yellow a bit before cutting them. You can help the plant by cutting leaves that are loosing there color due to aging. it is more or less the only care to give to the plants during the last month.

Alright I did exactly what you guys advised and it's crazy how many bud sites were underneath! I gave my plant a serious haircut and it looks much better now. I won't touch it further till harvest except if it's to remove discolored leaves.

On the lower part I keep on getting loads of small and new leaves. Since they don't get enough light they usually die and dry out...

I did one last try with my lights but it won't stretch. I'm going to progressively bring back the lights at a normal distance so the plant gets the maximum amount of light. Stubborn one :)

Man that thing is getting bushy haven't checked in here in a while. Looking nice tho. I just had to build a bigger grow room yesterday cuz my 3 outgrew the old one in a week and was chopping leaves in the fans lol.

Haha yeah if you can get a bigger space then go for it! Thanks for passing by!

Man those things are looking pretty.

Thanks!

Haha you're probably right!
Yesterday I gave a heavy flowering feeding without going at the maximum amount of flowering boost :

IMG_093137.JPG

IMG_093331.JPG

You see more bud sites now but I'm wondering if I should do more? I don't really know which leaves are okay to remove without stressing the plant too much.
Any advice?
Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom