X Marks the Spot - XLR8's Big Bang Auto Hydro Grow 2011

Sorry about that 52 lol! Put me in the alzheimers wing of Stony Acres and let me feed the ducks.

Can't wait to hear your plans and see what ya got going bro... but please go slow and don't hurt yourself, you've got lots of time. Good luck!

Thanks buddy - I'm taking it one step at a time and trying not to over do it. I'm motivated to get the new space (actually expansion of existing space) remodeled/constructed. I've got one wall done, and I did some shopping today for materials to finish it. Once the space is complete I can go shopping for the goodies to fill it. Just so much work to be done first! :)

Wow! xlr8 ! :thumb:

That's going to be a hell of a good set up. It's half as big as my tent, but with the same lights. Your girls are going to love it, :yummy:

I'm going to try mine without the light fans at first. Probably won't work, but we will see, I will have to 8" fans pulling straight across the lights as it is now.
Time will tell.

Glad your taking it easy...keep it up! :Rasta:

Yeah, that's a lot of lights I'm thinking of stuffing in there, huh?

Hopefully it'll work for you without the light fans, but those HID lights really run hot. I tried to do something like that in a small room with a single 400w, an 8" fan, and an exhaust vent and the heat just won the battle - kept getting North of 90f in there - no good. Hopefully it'll work for you - I'm sure you're set up will be a bit different than what mine was. Good luck!

I'm knee deep in construction here now, and it's slow going with my achy bones lemme tell ya. Most of the heavy lifting should be out of the way now I think though...

What i had in mind was something like this...

Amazon: Vicks 1.5 Gallon Vaporizer with Night-Light

Thanks Nap - I've got something pretty close to that already (minus the nightlight), and it's still a little big/heavy for my growbox, believe it or not. I'm okay with the low-budget thing I've got going for now, as I'm knee deep in constructing an expanded space for my grow stuff. I have a nice window the next few days to get things done on it, and I'm trying to take advantage of it best I can. Later this week I may reassess my humidity challenges. Great suggestion, though, and thank you for thinking of me and posting the link! :thumb:

Just getting caught up.... I'm tired now :)

Congrats on the budget approval, I think once I figure out where I'm moving my grows are gonna get much bigger :thumb:

...funny my mind feels like it's been at Shady Acres for a while now :rofl:

Thanks Dime. I'm stoked - good luck if you move!

Oh, and as far as your mind already being at Stony Acres (I kinda like that better than Shady Acres) - that makes two of us! ;)

XL if you got with the gl80 how many plants do you plan on growing, if its in the 8 to 12 range all you need is 1 600w hps instead of running 2 400w but thats just me idk like they say different strokes for different folks cant wait to see this new add on brother...

I think you're right Crower, and I may still go that way yet. I've thought about doing a single 600w in there, but I'm leaning toward 2 400's due to the shape of the tent (longer and narrower) and the fact that I already have a 400w ballast that I can use for it (and I was concerned that a single 400w wouldn't be enough). It might be overkill, but 2 400's in there would really rock if I can control the temperatures. Having said all that, I can see myself changing my mind and doing the single 600 like you suggest. Great suggestion, and right on the money. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts! :thanks:

I think you're right Crower, and I may still go that way yet. I've thought about doing a single 600w in there, but I'm leaning toward 2 400's due to the shape of the tent (longer and narrower) and the fact that I already have a 400w ballast that I can use for it (and I was concerned that a single 400w wouldn't be enough). It might be overkill, but 2 400's in there would really rock if I can control the temperatures. Having said all that, I can see myself changing my mind and doing the single 600 like you suggest. Great suggestion, and right on the money. Appreciate you sharing your thoughts! :thanks:

I mean it would make more sense to just go with the 600 setup instead of increasing your elec bill but like i said only looking out for your best interest mate cost an bill wise...lucky my ballast can switch from 400 to 600 worth the purchase :popcorn:

Yeah, that's a lot of lights I'm thinking of stuffing in there, huh?

Hopefully it'll work for you without the light fans, but those HID lights really run hot. I tried to do something like that in a small room with a single 400w, an 8" fan, and an exhaust vent and the heat just won the battle - kept getting North of 90f in there - no good. Hopefully it'll work for you - I'm sure you're set up will be a bit different than what mine was. Good luck!

I'm knee deep in construction here now, and it's slow going with my achy bones lemme tell ya. Most of the heavy lifting should be out of the way now I think though...

HI Buddy. :)

I have a feeling you'll be right about my lights and the heat. Does your room
have AC in it? I have a monster 24,000 BTU in here and I'm hoping that will help allot. If not, I'll oder the tube cooling kits. Damn it!

Glad your out of the heavy lifting phase. No quick movements, please. I don't look forward to moving heavy pots around. Only our own Big Eyes fault!

Guess its going to be race to see who goes to Stony Acres first. :smokin:

Xlr8, i don't know the numbers, but what is the lumen, or light output comparison on a single 600 watt, compared to the two 400 watt lights? will you be using HPS or MH ?

Also, two ballasts means twice the heat...

might be worth looking into that to see where you get most bang for the buck as far as output...one 600 may be more economical, and less heat...

kind regards,

Hey guys - still going a hundred mph trying to build out my new little room... Just taking a quick minute to pop-in before I get back to it. Hopefully tonight I can personally respond to some things, update with some pictures, etc. Still trying to decide on the 600w vs. (2) 400w, but Nap's right - a single 600w would make a lot of sense, (maybe more) too. I'd love any other thoughts on this, but from what I can tell the 600 would actually provide more usable light than 2 400's. It would also be cheaper on the electric bill. However, it appears it would not give me quite as good of coverage at the "edges" and would actually throw quite a bit more heat than 2 400's (requiring a heavier duty fan, etc.) I'm learning a lot about these lights as I research a bit more, and it's so much more complicated than I imagined it would be!

I have decided to go a different way with the reflectors, and I'm really excited about it. A really respected local grower I know recommended I could actually have a cooler running set-up with better light coverage by NOT going with air-cooled reflectors, and instead going with "Adjust-A-Wing" reflector(s). He claims they're incredibly efficient and easier to cool. (Just need a good fan in the room with 'em). I've watched them run, researched the heck out of them, and I've come to the conclusion that these things are legitimately bad-ass! My first instinct was "no way I'm going with non air-cooled reflectors!", but after watching them run and reading up on them I can really see how they'll work and work well. I initially thought the looked like glorified "Econono-Wings", but they're nothing like them really. Anyone not familiar with these should check them out on their website: adjustawings (dotcom). Really cool stuff, though just a smidge more expensive. You'd be amazed how cool they run for not being "air-cooled". If you go to their website check out the "super spreaders" too - another intriguing product, but I've got to look into those a bit more.

Room's almost done! My motivator is that once done, I can start putting all the new goodies in it, and it'll be so much easier to grow larger plants, control my environment, control odor, separate veg area and bloom area, more secure, etc. :yahoo:

Moved the Big Bang back into my homemade bubble tub under my T5's (in a separate room) while I'm remodeling the grow space, and she's loving it big time. Those T5's really are great veg lights and my homemade tub is working great, too. The reason I quit using them originally was due to some difficulty controlling the environment in the separate room, but the weather's much different now, and it's so much easier than it was a few weeks ago.

Oh and my health has been better than it has in almost a year, despite all the one man construction I've been doing. It's crazy. I feel almost normal for a change - and it feels great. I know it won't last, but thank goodness the gods are smiling on me for once. :)

Okay, I'm back to work!

I'm real interested in the results of all your research bro and things for the link to the hoods.

I love my 400 but of course wish I had a 600 now and I've heard great things about them but haven't really looked into it.

Don't know if it's feasible for you but I like the one big light in the middle with cfl's on the perimeter for extra lighting as needed strategy and it seems to be working well for me.

Wait! I really think a light mover will solve all your problems :goof::goof::goof::goof::goof:

Glad you're feeling better my friend! It's amazing how some good motivation and positive thoughts can make you feel. It's like our minds are telling our bodies, "Knock it off!...we got shit to do!" :rofl:

The owner of the shop I go to uses those Adjust-a-wings AND super-spreaders and loves them! He said you get a LOT of light coverage with them and with that much surface area it acts like a giant heat sink. He's using 1000W HPS bulbs and a few fans without any issues.

Xlr8, I had the adjustawing reflector with 400w HPS in my grow space/tent...the temps were out of control, i had a 4 inch vortex fan in there running, and a 8 inch oscillating fan to try and kep it regulated...grrrrrr...never could get it dialed in.
I moved to a sun systems super sun reflector with 4 inch flanges and glass bulb cover, and a digital ballast, and now pull air thru it with the 4 inch vortex inline fan, psssshh what a difference, temps never get higher than high 70's low 80's in there now, i wish i would have got my current setup from the beginning i only wish i had went with a 600/digital ballast, but i'm going straight to a 1000 soon :)

Let us all know how the adjusta wing works for you!!! maybe it was user error in my case :) , i just could never get the temps under control, maybe i just needed a bigger exhaust fan, any suggestions are welcome!
kind regards,

XLR8! BRO! I feel like a big ass, I've been loaded with subbed threads for a few months, around 20!...And for some reason I thought yours was one of them. I finally decided to clear my subbed threads folder, as it has occurred to me that I'm missing valuable info by being spread so thin...Plus it's hard to keep up with it all, and seems like I dont have enough time. But I'm in for this one bro, you've always been good company, and I love that yours is a very small setup like mine(Well, yours is way nicer than mine but small nonetheless).....Or WAS small anyway!! Congrats on the upgrade operation bud!!:high-five: It's really cool watching these poor man's grows, and tiny-spaced stealth grows, and getting to know good folks, and then seeing them improve, and get upgrades and so on....Damn thats alot of ands!!:tokin:

Sorry to ramble, I've had 2 snickerdoodles!!

Anyway, glad you're feeling better, hope it lasts brother! (Funny how doing stuff that hurts can make us feel better:hmmmm:) I'll be around from now on!:peacetwo:

HI Buddy. :)

I have a feeling you'll be right about my lights and the heat. Does your room
have AC in it? I have a monster 24,000 BTU in here and I'm hoping that will help allot. If not, I'll oder the tube cooling kits. Damn it!

Glad your out of the heavy lifting phase. No quick movements, please. I don't look forward to moving heavy pots around. Only our own Big Eyes fault!

Guess its going to be race to see who goes to Stony Acres first. :smokin:

Well, got my room done, and I'm still feeling pretty okay (about as good as it gets for me sometimes!) Maybe you'll be okay without the air tubes - I'm about to be new to the tent thing myself, so I'm not sure either...

Might be a race to see who can MAKE IT to Stony Acres. ;) Though, all kidding aside, I've felt much better last week or so despite all the work.

I agree two 400w hps in that figuration seems like it will be most beneficial, especially for canopy coverage. Definitely maximize your light used. Looking forward to it

Not sure what's best, but I've decided to go with (2) 400's and Adjust a Wings. Should allow me to cool a bit easier, cheaper 4" filters, and utilize 4" ducting. I'm super skeptical about the Adjust a Wing thing, but I've gotten mostly great feedback on them. So, think I'm going for it. :)

Back
Top Bottom