1st Grow 1st Journal - White Widow & Company

re: 1st Grow 1st Journal - White Widow & Company

LEDs can be very effective, but you should have somewhere between 35-50 watts per square foot of grow space. I'm running two LED panels now, both Mars Hydro 100x3 Old Model, and my temps stay right around 75 F, with doors closed, and exhaust running up into the attic. Ambient room temp the grow is in is 68-70F.

Larger panels, and higher wattage chips will increase the temperature, but nothing compared to similar wattage used in CFL or HID.
But, at the same time, HID lighting has been proven for decades, and if you can handle the heat produced, it's a great way to grow.

My LEDs are rated at a total of 300-340 total watts used (150-170 each), and I'm looking at 75 degrees F. When I was running 361w CFLs, temps were over 90 degrees F with the doors closed.

LEDs can be very effective, but you should have somewhere between 35-50 watts per square foot of grow space. I'm running two LED panels now, both Mars Hydro 100x3 Old Model, and my temps stay right around 75 F, with doors closed, and exhaust running up into the attic. Ambient room temp the grow is in is 68-70F.

Larger panels, and higher wattage chips will increase the temperature, but nothing compared to similar wattage used in CFL or HID.
But, at the same time, HID lighting has been proven for decades, and if you can handle the heat produced, it's a great way to grow.

My LEDs are rated at a total of 300-340 total watts used (150-170 each), and I'm looking at 75 degrees F. When I was running 361w CFLs, temps were over 90 degrees F with the doors closed.

Oh wow, I did not know it made THAT MUCH of a difference in Temps. Think you may have sold me on some LEDs lol Have you seen a major difference in that electric bill?

Temp is a concern, that is why I am thinking LED. I am only going to use half the tent to start with, so a 4x4 area. I was thinking about getting the Mars II 900w, not sure. How long have you had you LED's? Any probs?

I use a 300w led in a 24"x24"x36" space with a 4" exhaust fan and carbon filter with passive intake. Temps have never been over 85f But I suffer with high humidity (70% in flower) with the ambient air being humid and a steady air exchange in my small cabinet I'm struggling to get it down. Can't put an electric dehumidifier in there so I'm thinking of a way to sort it for my next time out. Hope this helps.
Good luck on the rest of your journey

I use a 300w led in a 24"x24"x36" space with a 4" exhaust fan and carbon filter with passive intake. Temps have never been over 85f But I suffer with high humidity (70% in flower) with the ambient air being humid and a steady air exchange in my small cabinet I'm struggling to get it down. Can't put an electric dehumidifier in there so I'm thinking of a way to sort it for my next time out. Hope this helps.
Good luck on the rest of your journey

Put a small dehumidifier right outside the intake so you bring the ambient RH down which will then be sucked in. Instead of displacing that heat in a room or area by directly putting it in there bring the area outside the growing area down. :thumb:

Oh wow, I did not know it made THAT MUCH of a difference in Temps. Think you may have sold me on some LEDs lol Have you seen a major difference in that electric bill?

Yeah, it's a pretty big difference. At least it was in my grow space, which is a small closet. 26" / 66cm deep, 40" / 101.5cm wide, 7' / 12 meter ceiling.

Yeah, it'll go up a little bit, but it's pretty easy to offset the cost by being a little energy smart, turning off lights when not in use, and such.

Temp is a concern, that is why I am thinking LED. I am only going to use half the tent to start with, so a 4x4 area. I was thinking about getting the Mars II 900w, not sure. How long have you had you LED's? Any probs?

The Mars II units use a 5w diode, vs the 3w diodes in the reflector, and old model, so it will produce a little more heat, but basic ventilation and airflow easily keeps things under control.

I've had my first LED since the middle of September, so I've had it just shy of 7 months now. I've had zero problems with the unit, and no complaints either.

I do strongly suggest routinely opening the case (8 phillips screws on my particular model) and blowing dust off the heatsinks, fans, and all internal parts using compressed air. It'll keep the component temperatures lower, and improve reliability. Other than that, and occasionally cleaning the glass, they're simple to maintain. I just cleaned out my first light when my new one arrived (I bought a second one, same model), and it took about 5-10 minutes. So it's really easy to clean the lights up between grows, and your plants won't lose any time under lights, and no worries about trying to do it in the dark. Just unplug them before opening the case, and don't touch anything inside just to be safe.

I'm bored, so I figured update time, Fed the sexy ladies nutes yesterday, gave them their full dosage. Being a first time grower, Its amazing and a ton of fun to watch them grow up and flower. The difference from day to day is unbelievable. Should have studied botany lol

Seems the little fungus gnats have dissipated. I guess the GnatNix and Yellow sticky traps did the work, and fast. Very thankful for all the info guys. Good looking out! Other than that, ladies are very happy, still haven't gotten any deficiencies that I have noticed. *Knock on wood* Lookin happy healthy and GREEN!!!! Trichs finally starting to appear.

I understand the first 3 weeks of flower are when she stretches, and ive seen the stretching just about stop as I approach 3 weeks on Sunday. So, What should I expect to see in the coming weeks? now that stretching will be minimized. Have a great day everyone!

20150416_142217.jpg

20150416_142224.jpg

20150416_115054.jpg

20150416_115107.jpg

20150416_115123.jpg

20150416_115135.jpg

20150416_142254.jpg

20150416_142306.jpg

20150416_142257.jpg

You should expect to see the flowers slowly turn into the buds you know so well. The top cola will start to stack and the buds will start growing into each other, a lovely sight. Stems of the large fan leaves will turn red, I think that is a nute thing, not sure just know it happens to me ;) Hairs will start to amber and trichs will pop up along the sugar leaves. This is where your plants can really start to show off, surprise you every day. You are gonna love it.

Thanks Buds4All and Antics , good description. Love how informative this forum is. that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm excited for the final stretch. So I was told I should try Bud Candy? Anyone use it before? And does it make your smoke taste like cotton candy like I've heard? I personally don't want to mess with its perfect natural taste!

UPDATE TIME: Just hit 3 weeks into flowering. Growth has really started to take off. Slowly Starting to see trich production. Pineapple chunk is tallest but furthest behind in bud development. Trimmed and tucked a few fan leaves, pulled some yellow dying leaves from the bottom of my clone. Had to kick on the AC this past week. Temps outside are on the rise. putting winter behind us for the year. Temp inside tent stays around 74-76, humidity still at 45%. Still haven't seen any nute burn or really any deficiencies. So I may increase nutrient dosage a tad. So, Im wanting to save my trimmings and all to make some hash at the end. Do I keep my trimmings from defol during flower? No one responded to my bud candy question earlier this week so im guessing not too many here use it. Well guys, big day tomorrow. :lot-o-toke: 420

20150419_082902.jpg

20150419_082909.jpg

20150419_082917.jpg

20150419_082948.jpg

20150419_083002.jpg

20150419_083011.jpg

20150419_083024.jpg

20150419_083037.jpg

20150419_083049.jpg

20150419_083115.jpg

20150419_083135.jpg

That grow looks nothing short of amazing. Really, really nice work man.

As for Bud candy, not me :( I have used molasses, and a lot of growers say it's great as flower additive, some use it through the whole grow.. This topic might be helpful for you there: High Brix Q&A With Pictures

As for trim, I only keep trim with trichomes on it, anything else I give to pets, or just compost it. There is a small amount of Cannabinoids in most green matter, but may or may not be worth extracting.
Anything with trichomes in my grows is used to make hash or oil, and I've even smoked some sugar leaves while waiting for my buds to dry.

And I will most definitely be celebrating tomorrow :thumb:

All day long. :lot-o-toke:

I'm with Antics, only keep trim with trichs. I was told to put mine into the freezer right after cutting, preserves the trichs or something like that. I do know people who use all the trim in smoothies or the like.

Because a friend kinda set me up for what nutes to start with I have been using a range from different companies. My first plant is about 2 weeks from chop, very frosty but not the biggest buds. Maybe she will pack some weight in the next few weeks, not sure. If you do get the Bud candy or similar, experiment between a few plants, see if it makes a difference.

My friend dropped off the 4x8 tent today, freakin huge. Very well made and all metal poles, only bad thing is it's dirty as hell. Poor guy going through a divorce and all that shit, his ex tore it all down one night. He never had a chance to clean anything before putting it in storage. Also, he also GAVE me a 1000w hood, bulb and ballast and exhaust fan. So today has been a slow process of cleaning every part of the tent an gear.

Anyway, looking real nice Surf, good stuff.

That grow looks nothing short of amazing. Really, really nice work man.

As for Bud candy, not me :( I have used molasses, and a lot of growers say it's great as flower additive, some use it through the whole grow.. This topic might be helpful for you there: High Brix Q&A With Pictures

As for trim, I only keep trim with trichomes on it, anything else I give to pets, or just compost it. There is a small amount of Cannabinoids in most green matter, but may or may not be worth extracting.
Anything with trichomes in my grows is used to make hash or oil, and I've even smoked some sugar leaves while waiting for my buds to dry.

And I will most definitely be celebrating tomorrow :thumb:
All day long. :lot-o-toke:

Thanks man, I really appreciate that. Ill go up to my local grow shop and see what they have as far as molasses. That's a neat article. I had to read it a few times to understand it in full, but genius.

Good to know about the trimmings, was just curious because I really want to try making some hash. So thank you for that.

I'm with Antics, only keep trim with trichs. I was told to put mine into the freezer right after cutting, preserves the trichs or something like that. I do know people who use all the trim in smoothies or the like.

Because a friend kinda set me up for what nutes to start with I have been using a range from different companies. My first plant is about 2 weeks from chop, very frosty but not the biggest buds. Maybe she will pack some weight in the next few weeks, not sure. If you do get the Bud candy or similar, experiment between a few plants, see if it makes a difference.

My friend dropped off the 4x8 tent today, freakin huge. Very well made and all metal poles, only bad thing is it's dirty as hell. Poor guy going through a divorce and all that shit, his ex tore it all down one night. He never had a chance to clean anything before putting it in storage. Also, he also GAVE me a 1000w hood, bulb and ballast and exhaust fan. So today has been a slow process of cleaning every part of the tent an gear.

Anyway, looking real nice Surf, good stuff.

Thanks man!!!Great idea. I will do that I think. Ill choose 2 to experiment on. Interested to see how it works out.

Damn, sounds like your gonna have yourself a nice setup. I would love to upgrade to a 1000w setup myself. Figured Id wait until I get more equipment to get a perpetual grow going. When do you plan on putting your new setup into use?

I have used Bud Candy, Big Bloom and B52 so far this grow in their schedule they are told to be used. Can't really say if they've helped increase size or not, since I don't have any plants not using it to compare it to. 8ml/gallon though and they're cheap so take a stab at it. If you decide to use it the Bud Candy has to be used up to week 6 of flowering so I would get some relatively soon. I wonder the difference of starting the nutrient late though as opposed to doing it the recommended time.

Back
Top Bottom