400W DWC Grow - 4 Sour Grape - 2 Blue Dream

Hey J ,those plants are looking killer dude. I just did some catching up on your journal, sorry to see you went thru a little bit of a down spell. From those last couple pics you got It looks like you got those plants trained perfectly into the space you provided. Hows the extra lights been working?

You might want to try a soil vs. hydro with the same seeds next time, see which style you end up preferring more with taste/work input/yield output. I did a similar strain to blue dream and that too needed lots of room. I also would like to grow it again and see how it could turn out with some more knowledge on my side.

Just goes to show you what some topping can do though huh? those plants look wicked, theyve come a long way :goodjob:

b- thanks man. yea all that ended up happenin as far as training was because of necessity for light/space at first, not planned. topping as well, just kinda tryin different things as we went. cant touch your journal here.

123- comin from someone who has produced some great lookin grows, ill take that as a serious compliment. i was kinda kickin around the idea of harvestin as they finish, have to see whats gonna pan out for living arrangements here in the next month. may be gettin into a house so they might all just get chopped together. yes i have mold at the very top of my watch list with out a doubt. we had that little scare a couple weeks ago so im payin better attention now.

sc- im glad people think they look good, i tend to scrutinize to no end until i have myself convinced i have done nothing right. i was just about to catch up on your journal as well. did you get the pic uploading all squared away? yea i had a pretty crappy period there but i think i pulled em out ok, harvest will suffer unfortunately tho. the cfls have helped out more than i thought and played a great part in the last part of this grow as some much needed supplemental lumens.
i was thinkin about tryin some vermiculite/soil style grows if i can get into a place with some more space. for now im in dwc, not as messy.

thank you to all who commented and brought knowledge to this journal. much much appreciated! i know its been boring watchin a new grower on their first, as well as first time grow journal-er... but were not quite done on this one yet!
im extremely limited in space to grow in so i cant have more than one thing happening at once, my goal is to have perpetual grow going soon. then ill be able to get more technical and involved with everything like i want too. (cloning, scrog, lst, hash, different nutrient mixes).

i also have to say again how much i like Blue Planet Nutrients. i used the 3part Elite with their Liquid Bloom Boost. great stuff and i plan on usin it again. as soon as i started addin those, the plants went nuts, and even when i got out of line and tried to switch up levels of parts, i didnt kill em off. theyre very new and exp grower friendly alike, id recommend to anyone.

It's been anything but boring. As far as learning goes, I picked up a few ideas watching this thread, and I am always looking to improve my setup. Thank you for taking the time.
+rep

It's been anything but boring. As far as learning goes, I picked up a few ideas watching this thread, and I am always looking to improve my setup. Thank you for taking the time.
+rep

wow thats pretty freekin cool, glad you could take something away from here... almost all of what is in this journal was gathered from this site or improved/modified from it.
think ill do another one...more green sticky buds tho!
:peace:

an thanks for the reps!:high-five:

when are we going to get a smoke report ;)

posted @ 4:20... ha!

unfortunately im not a big smoker, just very interested in growing as a hobby and to make some dank weed... i have some 2nd party people on deck tho.
id like to be able to supply a shop with product once i get more space.

Nice DWC grow..i been on ut checking videos on Dwc...was thinking of using 5 gal cont...starting with maybe two beans...yeh..:bravo: on your grow...:goodjob:

They make a 10" mesh lid for the 5 gallon bucket. Consider a General Hydroponics 'Farm Kit' on top, and a 6" air bar in the bucket. That setup will grow 6' plants if your ceiling is tall enough.
Just my $0.02

Nice DWC grow..i been on ut checking videos on Dwc...was thinking of using 5 gal cont...starting with maybe two beans...yeh..:bravo: on your grow...:goodjob:

sounds like a plan and thanks for comin by... im thinkin im gonna switch to 5gal buckets for my next grow. it will allow me to attend to each plant specifically as far as nutrients go, and if anything negative happens then ill only have to worry about one root system instead of two.

:welcome:

midwest eh... im from st paul mn originally... don miss the cold!

Yeah I would have to agree with the comment-er that this journal has been anything BUT boring. I learned a ton dude and your definetely being a little rough on yourself about the grow. FIRST you went hydro-- which in my experience can prove to be a challenge every single day of your grow. We're all newbies to some extent on growing, because cultivating cannabis is still relatively kept quiet, its not like people are holding growing pot seminars lol. We all gotta learn from first hand experiences and with the help each other, which is the best way in my opinion.:peace:

I would like to say a few things in regards to your grow( never too late for some tips right?), In my opinion I think you have plenty of space. Im not there and I dont know what the characteristics are of the strains your growing... so I could be wrong and for worst you can just take this as a 2nd opinion. But I had a plant that looked very similar to yours (the blue mystics I've told you about before) and my two biggest problems were: TOO MUCH SPACE-- TO LITTLE LIGHT. and i think they can also be yours. your girls very much have the look of plants stretching a lot more then they should to reach the light they need.. so it could either be the light is too far away.. or just not strong enough. I have a 400w in about half the space you do and although its the first time im using it.. my plants are about 60% shorter than I have ever been able to grow.. and the buds quality is much better as well (tight, icy). I can guarantee its because the plants do not have to stretch for light, they have enough to grow comfortably.

I would consider a 600w or 2 400w tube-HPS.. especially with the shape of your tub; the tubes would work great. And for some reason (maybe because its a bathroom) I feel like your plants look.. cold? Have you maintained a warm room temp for them? like 85 and humid?

I really think some mylar ( or emergency blankets..$3) would help contain the light and keep it better used for your grow. you could easily take a couple yard sticks or molding strips and make a frame for hanging the mylar sheets. If your bathtub has a curtain rod, you could modify something to work just like a shower curtain.. only with emergency blankets. it will also help keep up your humidity levels. As for my lights, I happened to luck out and they came with yo-yo hangers. they make a world of difference when you need to adjust the height of your light on a daily basis.. and they are cheap. I would look into them if you haven't already found something to make light adjustments easy.. because regular adjustments are necessary.

I don't mean to seem like im over knowledgeable when it comes to growing. You of all people should know with the amount of info you have given me. you have helped me tons with my grow and Id like to at least offer some opinions if I cant really offer much else. Just from the experience I have tho, I would consider some of the things I mentioned.

And from a soil growers perspective.. I would kill to have my pots sitting in a self draining bath tub. Just saying.. you might want to look into it. 3 or 4 feminised seeds and a couple soil pots, You could get some killer results with your kind of set up. :morenutes:

Ill check in again soon enough brother, hope all is well.

SC

They make a 10" mesh lid for the 5 gallon bucket. Consider a General Hydroponics 'Farm Kit' on top, and a 6" air bar in the bucket. That setup will grow 6' plants if your ceiling is tall enough.
Just my $0.02
Yep...gonna need a couple of those lids...just checking this out...if i like it then i will expand...
sounds like a plan and thanks for comin by... im thinkin im gonna switch to 5gal buckets for my next grow. it will allow me to attend to each plant specifically as far as nutrients go, and if anything negative happens then ill only have to worry about one root system instead of two.

:welcome:

midwest eh... im from st paul mn originally... don miss the cold!

Everything you say is right on..checked it out on ut...looks easy to me...

sc- thanks for the input. i have considered most of what you are sayin, im hard on myself because it will drive me to do better and learn more i think. also i expect alot from this, so i need to push.

about the light, i do have the adjustable hangers youre talkin about and theyre the shit. i played around with light height alot during veg and early flower, tryin to get it as close as possible, and its never been over 12'' above canopy for long. right now i think its at 10'' or maybe 1'' under. those blue dreams really like to stretch out, and stretch and stretch and, well you get the point. i had originally thought about gettin a 600w, but thought it would make it too hot in there, as would a dual 400w setup. i went with the single 400w and its just about as hot as i want it in there, and the addition of the cfls have pushed it to the max i think. it gets to 81*/37-40%rh with all lights and humidifier on, and 68-70*/ same rh at night, maybe a little higher. they are just thinned out because ive done 21 and 45 day defol during flower. i think ive done really well with the environment the whole grow. also added a diy co2 dispenser(just a 2L bottle with yeast and sugar and water).

i think the next light addition will be a led of some sorts, maybe a 360w if i can swing it. little or no heat signature and i can keep the 400w tube goin as well.

i agree that i should have at least modified a mylar curtain for the open side of the tub. the funny thing is, i have some layin around, i just havent made time to work one out. between my back goin out and work, and upkeep, i fell lower on the list than it should have. but the white tile on the other three sides seems to do alright with reflecting light.

well im glad to hear that i was able to help with information, i dont know too much, but im tryin to soak up all i can and if i can pass it on then cool.

Try the SunGrip ratchets (Sunlight Supply #710114 or equivalent) instead of the yo-yos. They don't look as cute, but they actually work.

Try the SunGrip ratchets (Sunlight Supply #710114 or equivalent) instead of the yo-yos. They don't look as cute, but they actually work.

I use that type for my 25lb LED. works great.

crap i just ran outta batteries tryn to post some pics with this new camera... ill be gettin em up tomoro... pretty crazy i can see the layers that make up the trichromes, and actually see partial amber in the bulb tips of em, im tryin to fig out a way to steady the camera to snap a pic at that level. i think it was at 350x or somethin like that.

Nice work JJames bet you cant wait to sample your own grown goodies :thumb: Learning is the aim of the game and from this journal i can see you have learned alot, stuck in there and done what was needed to be done and now your are re-payed with some sticky nugglets to chill back and smoke.

Cant wait for the harvest pics and smoke report brother + Reps from me.

Nice work JJames bet you cant wait to sample your own grown goodies :thumb: Learning is the aim of the game and from this journal i can see you have learned alot, stuck in there and done what was needed to be done and now your are re-payed with some sticky nugglets to chill back and smoke.

Cant wait for the harvest pics and smoke report brother + Reps from me.

thanks gs- i think i will, i just wish i could get enough trimmings to make some hash, that looks like fun and from the others makin it recently, looks like i could have another journal started just for that.

an thanks for the reps brada

Back
Top Bottom