Alex's - SCROG - 620 Watt CFL's - Actual Wattage - Super Lemon Haze

Hey guys - totally not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm near the end of my very first grow ever - chose lemon skunk feminized seeds and i am about a week from harvest. Just thought i would jump in to say that I had the same fairly strong smell during veg, and it's nothing close to how fragrant they get in flower! WHEW! I vent outside an unused old furnace chimney and I could smell 'skunk' everywhere outside my house. Sidewalk nearby was close enough to catch a whiff every now and again - i was panicked yesterday. I had been trying using ONA liquid in water in a bowl in the room to mask the odor, but the skunk just permeates and it's smell seems to last longer.

LONG story short folks : I figured out how to build me an activated carbon filter for about $30 at home depot! IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY. You can't smell a thing coming out the other side of this wonder of science.

I'll post a photo and describe a little if i can :

4" duct section, just need two little pieces and a cap for the end. Then wrapped some aluminum window screen around that - so you basically have a 4" tube with some solid ends, and a big wire mesh section in the middle. Wrap some of the charcoal pre-filter fabric around it ($12 for a big box of it at home depot - honeywell pre-filter replacement). it velcros on with the pieces that came with it in the box. Duct-taped the ends up so that no air sneaks in the sides... so this way all air from the grow room must pass through this guy before it's vented... it's amazing how well it works. These things start out costing like $200 and are a bitch to refit with new material! Mine can have the material replaced in about 5 minutes with new tape and $12. The box says they last in an air filter for at least 3 months - so i suspect it's good for a while - I've gone from completely paranoid and almost ready to shut it down (the smell was strong!) to happily anticipating the end of the first ever grow! exciting as hell..

ok heres the photo - and sorry again for jumping in - just seemed like you guys could possibly make us of this - even if you just want to vent into your house - this will save your bacon.

When iv use my homemade carbon filters iv nevev use a propper inline fan I always opted for a kitchen/bathroom style extractor fan leading to my scrubber. Unfortunately these are so noisy!!! How loud are the actual inline fans? This grow is in a corner of the main bedroom and with that being the case I need a quieter extrator than previously used

I am also seriously thinking about fimming the tops of my girls aiming for the 4 shoots to train out towards the 4 corners of my screens.
Anyone think I should be considering this or just trainn the plant as normal to my screen?

The inline fan isn't too bad -
I sat it on a small piece of foam so that it doesn't translate noise through the mounting to the wall etc.. And in fact the scrubber made it quieter like a muffler!!

Hey Alex,

Why not? May as well try to spread them out and get as much screen coverage as you can? I am going to try a basic scrog next time instead of just the LST I did this time.

I wonder how the size of your pots are working for such small plants? I know the intent is to have them expand and stay in that medium until the end - but how will they ever dry out ? How long does it take right now for your medium to dry after watering?

Hey Alex,

Why not? May as well try to spread them out and get as much screen coverage as you can? I am going to try a basic scrog next time instead of just the LST I did this time.
P
I wonder how the size of your pots are working for such small plants? I know the intent is to have them expand and stay in that medium until the end - but how will they ever dry out ? How long does it take right now for your medium to dry after watering?

Hey yeah I would of usually went from a tiny pot to a 5 litre then on to big pots. But through advice given on here I went from tiny pots onto massive pots. Idea being the less transplants the better for stress.
As far as watering goes...... at the moment I'm watering right around the stems maybe 500 mills every second day. Come the second day the area watered is dry. Soon I'll start watering closer to the edges of the pots to encourage roots to spread out and build a healthy root system
My potting medium was about 34 litres canna terre soil to 8 litres perlite to help drainage so I guessing when they get a wee bit bigger id think weekly or 5 daily watering will be about right. But time will tell

The inline fan isn't too bad -
I sat it on a small piece of foam so that it doesn't translate noise through the mounting to the wall etc.. And in fact the scrubber made it quieter like a muffler!!

Cool. I think I'm going to opt for the quietest/smallest inline fan available. I'm going to be building a carbon filter shortly over the next week or so I'll post piks when the time comes :)

I will probably wrap the inline fan in rockwool or some other insulitive material to furthe dim the noise

So iv decided against fimming and today is the first day of my training the plants down to the screen
Here's a couple of piks
IMG01012-20130425-1559.jpg

IMG01014-20130425-1559.jpg

DAY 18 veg

Plants looking really well today. Its amazing how quickly the side brnching shoots up once the main stem is bent into the screen.

I think I will be starting 25% vegging nutes today hopeing to promote a little quicker green growth

Temperatures are back stable at 79-82° lights on and 70-75° lights off and girls seem a lot happyr for it

That is a sweet way to LST. I honestly didn't understand why you let it sprout through the screen, but this is genius.

Why thankyou :) id only ever seen one journal with the identical same way of training and thought it looked like a lot less fiddling about than conventional scrog so thought id give it a go

DAY 23 veg

Today I was thinking about when I flower my scrog I'll be adding 8x20watt cfls 1150 lumen or so each. I was thinking were the hell will I put them!!
Soooo iv built me a new reflector to house all the lights I'll be using.
Iv wired in 8 lamp holders for the small cfls plus 2 e40 fittings for the two big cfls
Iv realy mesed about with lighting this grow. A week ago I wired in all 4 of my big 125 watts 2 of each spectrum

Decided to go back to the two big 6400k bubs for vegging.
When I flip I'll remove the two 6400s and add the two 2700s plus the 8 small bulbs

So for now during veg I'm running 250 actuall watts

When flowering comes I'll be running 410 wats

Hope that makes sense. A lot of the time I don't make sense to my self haha

The main reason for not running the 4 big bulbs isss.....

The grow space I have is 8ft tall. When I start to flower and remove the veg bulbs I'm going to section the height
5ft lower for flowering and 3ft above for vegging. Plan is veg two plants above mega LST'd for the last 40 days of the fowering beolow
Soon as flowering is done whip the girls above down below to flower and start again

Bad news...
Snapped main stem whilst training. Snapped about half way through so iv taped it up. Is this the right thing to do?
You can see the plant in pic 1

Bad news 2 is I can only veg for upto 2 more weeks. Got a house move to good to turn down happening in 12 weeks so its good news but not for the girls. 2 more weeks veg and 10 weeks flower.

Well it must be 6 hours since I broken and then doctored my stem. Just opened the cupboard to check on them and the plant is pulling up to light like it should. It hasn't drooped/wilted or look sick. I'm hoping that this is a good sign that iv not massivly stressed or harmed the plant in my accidental snapping

DAY 25 OF VEG
couple of days have passed since my last update.
Everything seems to be moving along nicely leaves look healthyr than they have done
On 1/2 strength dutch pro nutes now plants love them.
Growth on the snapped plant seems to be steady also so pleased I didn't cause much damage
Been removing a few fan leaves here and there every other day to help light through were its needed
Here's a few piks for y'all

IMG01042-20130503-1422.jpg
IMG01041-20130503-1422.jpg
IMG01040-20130503-1422.jpg

Just had a look at your journal so far, Looks pretty good. Bad luck on the stem, I tend to do all my LST and supercroping after they had water as to be sure that they are their most flexible as they are full of water etc etc making it much much safer to do the training. Good work looking forwards to the results just to see how it would look if i gave it a shot in my case :p Subbed for sure! Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom