BCNL Producer & DIY Cabs 3 Strains

Yes, I would leave the roots to grow on their own. I've tried all sorts of different stuff including Clonex and my best results are from straight tap.

I would take the doc's recommendation and move as well. While my state doesn't allow the highest plant count is does allow for the largest amount of dry product, 24 oz.

Thank you Hash. After all I read before starting my grow I came to the same conclusion you suggest. I prefer the approach of less is more but unfortunately after having opened my cab and seeing more white powder than on Charlie Sheen's nose I felt compelled to react. Straight tap it will be for me going forward.

When the idea of moving became impractical is when I built the room for the grow. Figured if I was going to stay, I'm going to be comfortable. I envy your state of residence Sir. Mine is cold with much less compassion.

Beautiful setup WnF...Jealous and impressed!!! Can't wait until I can get my room set up....Currently don't have any to speak of and very limited on amount of plants i can fit. Hopefully by July I'll be up and running in a 8' x 8' x 8' stealth (hidden actually) room.

peace and keep the pics coming!!!

Thank you Panic... I appreciate the kind thoughts. That's a good piece of real estate you'll be working in too... hidden at that! If you intend to journal please drop me a line as you get going so I can follow your progress. Have you decided how you're going to grow yet?

The pics have been coming as slow as progress has. When things get moving I'll do my best to keep the updates frequent. That is the very least I can do for having learned from everyone else's sweat equity here.

Thanks for tuning in!

It's the same as the Green Light just not concentrated.

That's good to know, and also good to have readily available locally. I'm going to set some time aside later to get a better understanding of this scourge because I really fell in the dark about it. I'm not yet clear on eradicating it totally and need to learn much more. Thanks again!

Just found your journal. I'm late to the party. I think I may get a producer within the next year anddo some experiments. But as of now my grow style is the stinkbud way. After viewing bcnl grows in the past have you thought about veggin less time or just going from clone to 12/12 to avoid height issues. If I try the producer I think ill try out dna's la confidential and mango. Both are low height plants.

The cuttings are looking ok today. A few leaf-ends tanning a bit and the bottom stem areas that I scraped are looking a little rusty. Root nubs popping here and there. Still scratching my head over how that damn mildew came to be. Just a fringe thought, but is it possible for a fungi to lie within the genetics of a seed... or on the seed itself?

No longer monitoring or adjusting ph.
Air/water temps and RH are stable at previously mentioned #'s.

Maybe on a seed but most likely some spores followed you in. Last year was bad for PM on the west coast and not just indoors.

Thanks Hash. Reading about the consumption now.

Ok, I now the direction I'm going to take with the powdery mildew problem. Evaporating sulphur. I hope to be able to make a burner tomorrow (will post pics if I do), and find sulphur pellets locally. Chasing the problem with Neem oil or any other liquid fungicide appears to be only a "bandaid" approach toward taming the PM. Seems by the time you get a contamination, spores should be considered to be everywhere within the growing environment. As sterilization of every surface, corner, crack, etc within the environment is impractical, burning sulphur is the only apparent way to effectively reach everywhere as it is a gas. The burners are commonly used commercially for foodstuff and are considered safe. Usage should be avoided within 3 weeks prior to harvest. The Sulphur works as a "selective toxin" in that it is lethal to molds and parasites yet not lethal to vegetation. Dosing for my space will be every other night for a week then maintenance use as needed or desired.

Glad this problem reared it's head early so my potential losses are few. Once treated, I will consider myself fortunate for having learned how to treat this problem and better yet how to keep it from recurring.

It's been very interesting learning all this stuff, but frankly I'd rather be doing something like growing!

I hear ya' man, it gets better once you've had some hands on experience with all the bugs and things.

Forward my good man, Forward.;)

Thank you siscokid... I'll run on those words.;)

Sounds like the sulphur idea is the way to go - I've heard this works well.

It won't work while you are growing, but I've heard ozone will do a good job of sterilizing as well (but would be harmful to any living, growing plants in the room). I have an ozonator and have been thinking of dousing the room heavy between grows as a preventative for mold/mildew. Ozone may be a bit dangerous if not used properly, so it's not for everyone.

I'm super freaked out regarding mold/mildew right now - I haven't had issues ever before, but I recently lost a jar of bud due to mold (despite drying and curing same as I've always done without issues). Nothing worse than having a successful grow, nice harvest, beautiful perfect nugs - and then they get mold. All that work gone to waste, literally.

Anyway - the positive here, and I mean this, is that you are learning how to manage this issue right off the bat, and you'll be wiser for it in the long run. And, it could be at a worse time (months into your grow).

Hang in there!

Thanks for positivity xlr8! Sorry to hear yo had a loss so late in the process. What heartbreaker. The ozone suggestion does seem sound, but I'm not the candidate to be dealing with that stuff. After taking as good a look at the store-bought evaporators (outrageous prices) and a DIY job online, I decided to do some rummaging through parts today after I found some sulphur locally. Perhaps I'll throw something together tonight. Just gotta get off my ass and get my idea from my head to my hands. I'll post whatever solution I come up with.

It's nice to know that good people watch one another's backs here. I'm grateful for you taking the time xlr8.

Cheers!

Having read about Powdery Mildew 'til my eyes bled I've come up with what I hope will be a sound, economical solution to the problem. As all roads seem to point to Sulphur Evaporators as the end-all fix for PM I eagerly looked into acquiring one. After a pretty short look I learned that these things are very simple and VERY expensive for what you get. Basically, the evaporating units are little more than a small quantity of sheet metal formed to a tube with a heat source that will allow the sulphur to vaporize and release it's hell-like goodness. The prices I ran into were staggering I thought. From $140.00 online to $200.00 local. Time to DIY for sure.

Here then is my approach to releasing the caustic fumes of perdition. I'll call it the Green Dragon. Credit for the green bulb is not mine as I copied that idea from a DIY'er that cleverly used coffee cans to make his unit.

Parts breakdown:

1- 6" recessed lighting can. $6.97
1- 6" duct end-cap $3.88
1- 100watt Green Outdoor Flood Light $5.97
1- 6' 3-conductor grounded power cord $3.99
1- Soup can .59
1- Quart container sulphur chips $15.00

Total= $36.40

I had everything at home except the end cap and sulphur so I basically scrounged the house for anything I could MacGyver with. I'd think that anyone with an ounce or two ingenuity could come up with better. It's that simple of a device. Just do it safely.

Here's the light can and 6" end cap (the duct coupling is not part of the assembly, it was only used to secure the cap for cutting later).
DSCN1104.JPG

I removed the joist mounting brackets and internal components to allow for drilling.
DSCN1105.JPG

I drilled out the existing power line hole to accomodate a romex strain relief clamp.
DSCN11122.JPG

Soup can which will house the sulphur just above the hot bulb.
DSCN11082.JPG

Wired the socket assembly back in. Don't fail to connect the ground!
DSCN11101.JPG

Stuff everything back in with careful attention paid to where the wiring seats. Be careful not to pinch or chafe the wires.
DSCN11111.JPG

Everything back in including 100w bulb.
DSCN11131.JPG

The duct end cap in place for fitting and measurement. I then used the 6" coupling from the first picture to hold the cap stable for cutting with a jigsaw. The hole is cut intentionally larger than the soup can to allow for excess heat to escape. It will also use that rising heat to convectively disperse the sulphur vapor.
DSCN11192.JPG

I am uncertain as to the appropriate distance for the can to be raised from the bulb for proper temperature (will determine that shortly), so I used a section of the joist hanging sliding mounts that were removed earlier. This will allow me to raise and lower the can conveniently so I can dial right in on the correct distance/temp.
DSCN1120.JPG

This shows the necessary clearance all around the melting pot (soup can).
DSCN1121.JPG

Here it fired up for the first time.
DSCN11221.JPG

Hanging safely with chains.
DSCN11295.JPG
DSCN11302.JPG

I intend to to put this to use tonight for about an hour and a half once the lights are out. Evaporators should ONLY be used during dark periods. My regimen will be approx 1.5 - 2 hours every other night for a week, then once weekly or every other week for maintenance.

May a swift and merciless death befall my evil spores.

I'll update with progress as it comes.

Definitely up to temp now. I believe it is doing what I need it to do. The can's base is 3/8" from the bulbs surface. I forgot to mention that the rules I read for this include SHUT OFF ALL VENTILATION - RUN CIRCULATION.
DSCN11363.JPG

Back
Top Bottom