BrummyHeads First Budget Grow - Now On 600W HPS

Brummyhead

Firstly, Thanks for all the information in these journals and all the time everyone must spend giving advice. I'm learning loads, in fact I'm totally hooked on my new 'hobby'.

My first grow is well underway, I've made loads of mistakes, but I have some reasonable plants that seem to be thriving. I'll try and get some photos organised soon. The grow was started on a crappy budget, totally broke at the time, but keen to get going.

Seeds were planted for germination directly in soil on 28th July, ignored warnings to test out whether the method would be successful, and it was a disaster, 2 seedlings from 15 seeds!! Bought more seeds, 5 out of 15 this time, better, but still crap. Strains growing are :-

Expert Seeds - Jack Herer Auto fem x 1
Expert Seeds - Critical AK Auto fem x 2
Short Seeds - Blue Himalaya Auto fem x 3
Unknown Auto Fem x 1 (lost label)

Seedlings left under Floro strips (2 x 60w) for 4 weeks. Potted on 4 plants into 15 litre pots, 3 into 1 litre pots at 2 weeks into Canna Terra and started using Canna Flores at half strength. The 4 in larger pots grew slowly, the 3 left in small pots hardly grew at all.

Bought 600w HPS at 4 weeks into grow and finally potted on the remaining 3 plants into 15 litre pots. That's when things started to happen. Grow room got hot (too hot) and really humid, but plants grew rapidly and all (bar 1 Critical AK) started to flower. Added Canna Boost to feed.

Since then I have tortured the plants every way I could think of. I was SO keen to get a big crop, and had read all about the many ways to enhance the grow, so I tried them all. I've topped, LST'd, supercropped, topped again, pruned, scorched them accidentally, let them dry out accidentally. After a couple of weeks of this I realised that with Auto's there really isn't much of a window of opportunity to do all this, and the stuff I had read only really applied to regs, so then I relaxed and stopped torturing them.

At 6 weeks I bought another 600w HPS and a 125mm extractor. I moved the ballasts outside the room, covered the walls in mylar, and now I think I've got a decent environment. Temps are around 75f, lamps running 20/4. Since then I have just pruned the lower branches off, particularly ones that were totally crowded out of the light. Where possible I left fan leaves on. The canopies have developed fairly level on most plants, god knows how.

Current status of the individual plants:-

Jack Herer - The most advanced plant, really heavily budded, very sticky and smelly. Looks terrible, leaves very pale green/yellow with very dense growth. This didn't really stretch, buds just got fatter. Bases of buds really enlarging now. Plant 60cm/23" tall. 9 weeks into what should be 12/13 week grow.

Blue Himalaya #1 - Gorgeous looking plant, very white long pistils against dark green leaves, look like rosettes. Developing really well, leaves all look healthy, kholas filling out into complete mass, but not very dense. Plant 60cm/23" tall

Unknown - Looks and behaves like the Critical AK #1 below. 67cm/26"

Critical AK#1 - Sparse looking plant with narrow, light green/yellow leaves. 5 flowering tips stretched about 10cm/4" from week 7 to now, but starting to fill out into complete kholas. Buds more loose and flowery than Jack Herer.

Critical AK #2 - This is a strange one, an Autofem that has only now begun to flower, 8 weeks into it's grow. It's a great looking plant, very full growth (and on Canna Flores and Boost nutes), started to flower a few days ago. 60cm/23". Anybody else seen this, or any ideas?

Blue Him 2 & 3 - Totally different from Blue Him #1. Very wide, dark blue/green leaves. often only 3 leaflets, standing very upright, same white flowers but much denser. Plants are dwarves, only 30cm/12" and 40cm/16".

What is amazing is how different all the plants are, even ones that are supposed to be the same strain.

Also, for the craic I tried to clone the Jack Herer and the Critical AK #1. I now have 4 of each in perfect working order after 2 weeks cloning in John Innes and perlite 50/50, just potted on into Canna Terra and fed Canna start. I'm happy with that, probably the subject of grow 2. Are they likely to develop the same way as their mother?

Re: BrummyHeads first budget grow, now on 600w HPS

Welcome to 420 my friend , yep your in the right place for aid at any point. I'm still thinking of myself as a noob here, but you learn so quickly off the brilliant members here that all have such a broad spectrum of knowledge and wisdom. that you end up even more consumed by passion for this great and rewarding plant and the process of growing it yourself.

Just a pointer Pics speak a thousand words and get more people following along.

Keep em green and smelling mean!

Good to meet you Light Addict. I've sorted out a few photos of the grow:-

Jack Herer
2013-09-28_12_16_44.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/559361

Jack Herer's tight buds.

Blue Himalaya #1

Blue Himalaya #1 Buds

Critical AK #1

Critical AK #1 split trunk. No meristem appeared after second leaves, then 2 stems developed

Critical AK #2 - The Autofem that has only just flowered at 8 weeks

Blue Himalaya #2. Nothing like BH#1, but just as described in the seed catalogue.

Autofem clones - 4 x Jack Herer and 4 x Critical AK at 3 weeks, Criticals are liking it better.

Any suggestions about getting ready to harvest. Seed guide gives about 90 days for all strains, but they are all developing in their own way, so it's hard to know. All going well I'll be chopping something down in 3 weeks. Don't get me wrong, I love my girls, but I'm gagging to try 'em.

I'm subbed. Your ladies are looking well considering the traumatic start to life:). With all the different sorts your going to have to become quite an expert in judging ripeness, just harvesting when you feel like is very risky. If your too early harvesting you could lose half your hard earned buds. I suggest reading up on 420 magazine for all the tell tale signs, use the search under forums in the top left of the page. It is quite tricky, but with experience you will become an expert. What light addict said, you will need a loop or magnifier to check on trich colour. I found a 100x jeweller loop on fleabay for 5euro with a built in led that works a treat, but if you got a couple of bob the usb digital endoscopes are the b*llocks. Not the end of the world if you crop early anyway cause I know how exciting it is, but when you get your next crop you should be still ok for smoke and not in such a rush to chop em and then you will see the difference the last weeks makes:). It's always nice to see new 420ers so :welcome: your one of us now:)
Reps coming your way:) Good luck with the rest of the grow, there is a vast knowledge base here so don't be shy to ask for help or advice or discuss crazy ideas you get when your wasted.

Thanks for the info Dutch Dragon. I've ordered a LED microscope from Ebay to get a handle on the trichomes ripening up. There seem to be a lot of opinions on flushing. How far in advance of the chop should you start flushing, and is it worth tailing off the nutes rather than cutting them off completely? Also read somewhere about doing a final flush with iced water and cutting off light for 2 days. Is this relevant?

Thanks KingJohnC. I've checked out a few of your grows and love your approach, well organised and 'sciency', with great results. Hats off, and good to have you along.

Hey my man hows it been. right as for stepping your nutes down; not really any point just stop using them. You could continue with blackstrap Molasses if you fancy. When to start your flush is dependant on your medium, the strain and how your going to flush. Some people run the last 1,2 or 3 weeks on no nutes. The other way is to flush your pots, pouring loads through just in the last week.
The ice water way is if I'm correct just a way that is supposed to shock your girl into reacting to protect herself and hurry things along and maybe increase trichs. Same with the darkness before chop. I use neither of these as its all subjective and widely contested. Personally I run the last 3 weeks no nutes to get the plant to use her own energy up and ripen nicely.

I'm doing good Light Addict, watching my ladies SLOWLY mature. Got my microscope through the post and checked out the Jack Herer trichs, still clear all over. Bud bases still swelling, pistils thinning out and have lost their whiteness. I've halved the nutes and will slowly fade them out. Still way more stinky than all the others, and a horrible looking plant, but her beauty is not gonna be in her looks!! The clones that I took from her are equally ugly, so it must run in the family. The Critical AK clones are looking good though.

Not sure yet whether to keep on with the auto clones, all to do with timing. I have already germ'd some reg's under floro tubes and need to build a proper vege area for them. At the moment I have 2 x 600w HPS in the grow room, no partitioning, just 3m x 3m of floorspace. Am thinking of setting up a tent for veg with 400W MH or LED. Vege's are smaller, less light hungry, need more blue in spectrum, etc., so they need a smaller space than the flowers. I can then switch HPS lights in main room and not get light leak from the vege space hopefully.

How long would you normally veg for? I think it's a trade off between bigger plants with more potential for bigger yield or smaller plants with a quicker turn around, but where do you draw the line. I've plenty of height in the flower end of the room, easily safe up to 1.5m plants.

I'll be back with some photos at the weekend. G'luck and Ganja know's best

if you have 1.5 meters of height i would vegetate your plants until they are 0.5-0.8 meters then switch to flowering, your plants will likely stretch 2x-3x times in height as they flower. your 600 watt High Pressure Sodium light bulb should give you 24-29 inches at least of light penetration.

HPS_chart.jpg

End of Week 11

It's been 2 weeks since my last confession........ and feelings are running high. In theory I have 2 more weeks before the first harvest, and how slowly the time goes while the ladies ripen up, only slow changes, buds fattening up, pistils thinning and changing colour, no rapid changes of any description. Have stopped feeding all plants at this stage, just fresh water. Plants have all yellowed a lot (should I be worried), dropping leaves from the lower nodes. Carried out the last defoliation today to get the max light into buds. Trichomes are all still clear but pistils changing to darker red colours on Blue Hawaii, purple buds on Jack Herer, and all pistils still thinning out.

Got a new thermometer/hygrometer, readings are 21 - 24 centigrade, 65 -80% humidity, mostly at the lower end of the humidity range.

Here's a few pics:

Jack Herer

2013-10-13_12_49_38.jpg

Jack herer' multibuds

2013-10-13_12_50_19.jpg

Unknown strain

2013-10-13_13_01_14.jpg

Unknown's pretty buds

2013-10-13_13_01_36.jpg

Critical AK #1

2013-10-13_13_18_16.jpg

Critical AK Khola

2013-10-13_13_18_27.jpg

Hawaiian Blue #1

2013-10-13_13_27_51.jpg

Hawaiian Blue #1 khola

2013-10-13_13_28_03.jpg

Critical AK#2, late flowering auto, 11 weeks old, 3 weeks into flowering

2013-10-13_13_35_58.jpg

Critical AK#2 tops

2013-10-13_13_36_22.jpg

Hawaiian Blue #2
This plant is built like iron, very squat. I'm guessing that this is showing much more Ruderalis, as I believe they are tough, short plants. Totally different from BH#1

2013-10-13_13_42_02.jpg

Blue Hawaii #2 buds

2013-10-13_13_42_12.jpg

Blue Hawaii #3, even shorter.

2013-10-13_13_47_34.jpg

Auto Clones, 4 x Critical AK at the back, the tallest plants, 4 x Jack Herer at the front

2013-10-13_13_49_10.jpg

Any last activities worth carrying out to bring in my lovely's?? Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Have some new seedlings to show you soon. Should be getting a new MH 400w next week, to get my veggie area up and running, for the next grow. I will start a new journal soon for this grow.

Anybody got any experience with Autopot (AutoPot Hydroponics and Self Watering Systems). Looks like it's worth a try.

I've taken off some of the lower fluffy buds to check them out, so far so good, lovely laid back stone off the Jack Herer. And pretty soon I'll have buds coming out of my yin yang, totally psyched for the harvest and cure. Hmmmmmmmmm......

Say hello to Mary Jane, I'll be home soon

Sorry for the looooooong wait for more info, accident at work has me curtailed on activities. However, I finally managed to shoot a few snaps of the ladies. This ripening phase is a patience buster, but I'm defo gonna leave them until they are done and dusted. Plants mostly look a little ragged at this point, leaves very yellowing, crisping leaves on the khola's. They are still adding mass to the buds, some small new leaves/buds at the growing tips, and oddly some new growth lower down on a few of them. The colour of the new growth shows how unhealthy the existing yellowed leaves look. Is it possible to keep the leaves in better order throughout the flower cycle? Have I over-nuted? The last word has to go to Critical AK#2, the late flowerer. She is looking great except for the curled up brown tips to the leaves. Again, I am using too much nutes? Would love to fix this issue.

Blue Himalaya #3
2013-10-26_14_38_16.jpg

Blue Himalaya #2
2013-10-26_14_43_11.jpg

Blue Himalaya #1
2013-10-26_14_52_13.jpg

Jack Herer
2013-10-26_15_01_40.jpg

Unknown Strain
2013-10-26_15_17_52.jpg

Critical #1
2013-10-26_15_17_52.jpg

Critical #2
2013-10-26_15_25_56.jpg

Thanks to Light Addict, KingJohnC and Dutch Dragon for helping me get them this far. Toodaloo

Looking gorgeous in there Brummy. When I have the pale yellow leaves I remove them, but only if they are easy to remove. They would look a lot healthier and will make you feel better. The pale yellow leaves are doing nothing for the plant and are about to fall off on their own anyway, removing them allows better air circulation and removes the shadow that they cast. Those buds are impressive my friend:thumb:. Gonna be a massive yield:).

the lower leaves yellowing is natural during flowering, it is the rate that the leaves progressively yellow and how far into flowering that I pay attention to. In early flower the lower leaves should not be yellowing very fast, towards the end of flower as the plants use more nitrogen then is being supplied they yellow as the plants take nitrogen from the lower fan leaves. if the damage to the upper fan leaves on the colas are too warm or receive too high of strength of nutrients they will get damaged and the leaves become crispy. yellow then brown tips on the sugar and fan leaves indicate heat stress or a nutrient burn. I would need some close up photographs to diagnose your plants better. what is your grow area temperature? if you can feel any heat from the light at the tops of your plants you should raise your light.

subd.

great looking buds, the JH looks like its foxtailing so might get a big bigger yet.
use a scope to check when their ready for harvest, mine was 0.99p of flea bay and its got 2 lights on it, 1 is 2x white led and the other is a uv light, its about the size of a match box and think its for checking bank notes, but cost next to nothing and works well,

the plant is ready when the trichs are around 100% cloudy, this is when thc is at its peak,
thc degrades in cbd which gives you the stronger couch lock affect, if your aiming for this then let the cloudy trichs turn amber, i like to harvest between 20% and 40% amber and the rest cloudy.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom