Budlovski's First LED & Bubble Bucket Grow

re: Budlovskis First Time - LED & Bubble Bucket Grow

Yes if you are going to do all that just plant in rockwool. Many leave the seedling in the plug and they are just fine. You are not removing a soil plant from a gallon pot which would require you to wash off the roots and remove as much soil as possible. Its just a simple plug and washing off or removing the plug soil is not needed.... I love rockwool so far! Its been great and had 100% success in new seeds ive germinated.

Yes good article on the light periods hunter, good to read through some actuall data on it.
I cut it out since there is a lot of mixed opinions on keeping it in or taking it out, some people have no shock taking it out while others do, still learning with dwc so I'm happy either way it goes, knowledge and firsthand experience is power in my eyes.
I like the idea of rock wool don't get me wrong but I don't like going through the effort of ph-ing the stuff, seems pointless buying it if its not already phed really, if I can get jiffy pellets down I'll be happier using them in them in the long run, less playing around with things. I probably would of been better off with RW but this seedling is already and still is going far better with pellet and transfer using jiffy then papaya did in RW,
Main reason I removed pellet residue is I'm still waiting to get root conditioner and figured that until I have that, that there's a chance the pellet/peat could mess roots up abit.
I may learn the hard way and have failure, might be lucky and have it go good.
I went will knowledge I could get yesterday.
After this I might just germinate in paper towel and place straight into hydroton, after viewing Khraevyns grow and he used that technique I'm quiet confident its a better way to go saving money and time on having an extra medium altogether, just straight hydroton.
My mate recently finished an afghan kush special, who did the same rinse transfer to indoor dwc and that plant went to 4-5 feet(untrained) and produced half a pound(hps) never touched RW at all.
Thinking on another grow I might make up 4 or so small bubble buckets, same strain, 1 RW, 1 kept in pellet, 1 taken out of pellet and one straight in hydroton and see what happens between them all, just to see what I'd be suited to personally.
Then again, I might soon go to coco for seeds, and get a big dwc tub for clones.
Like I said I'm learning so I'm still learning dwc so I'm taking in all info and this journal will be good for reference in the future.
But what's done is done, imma keep my fingers crossed and hope she comes good for me

The medium doesnt matter in DWC really..... Once your plant sprouts and roots get to the water the medium doesn't matter. If you do a comparison you should do a germination comparison as this is what DOES matter. You want your seedling to sprout and grow vigorously until it gets established. If you are handling your seedling and cutting it out of things and transplanting it you are stunting the growth no matter how careful you are. Once a seed sprouts the taproot has small hairs that you cant see with the eye. Thats why the paper towel method isnt as good as just planting in the medium you will be using. When the seedling sprouts in the paper towel those hairs attach to the paper towel. When you pick the sprout up it tears these hairs off. Now the taproot has to grow more. Just extra to slow a young seedling down. Do some searches on germination. The paper towel method is widely used by growers and it works. I look for the fastest and best methods for everything. Its a weed it will grow no matter what but i dont want to do things to slow them down. Especially when i pay $15 a seed. The best method for germination is to simply plant in the medium you will be using..... Most of the comparisons you can think of have already been done! People have been experimenting for years and years.

pHing rockwool is very very easy... Simply soak the rockwool for a hour washing it off then sit it in a cup of 5.5 pH water and let it sit another hour.... Sling the water out not mashing the cube and then plant the seed... Like i said i really like rockwool but its all ive ever used. I even use it for soil grows....

seed.jpeg

but you can't plant straight in hydroton people say?
I always use paper towel for germination always works 100% everytime that I can remember that's great.
How long does it take to notice stunting in a seedling? I've checked twice today and leaves ares are still growing so far
And there you go I always read RW took 24 hours or so to PH correctly, my papayas rockwool was soaked in ph water for 15 hours, shook off and never seemed to take to it, it has shown more growth now outside but quiet small for a 3week or so old plant

I would have to agree with Hunter on a couple things. I agree that the less you have to handle the root itself, especially early in stage of establishing tap root. I think that may have been what caused the demise of the failed one. I put it into the peat pellet right after those hairs showed up and I think even just gently pressing them is bad.

Another thing I agree with is the fact the sprouts tend to stick to the towel after a short time. I found a way around this by letting them actually grow as much as they can in the towel before I even touch them. Then, let the towel sit in a plate of water for a few minutes or so to really saturate the towel. It allows the roots to separate easier from the towel.

The reason I used the towel, was because that was what I had. I had no money for the RW. Luckily, I found the peat pellets at the local hardware store for 15 cents a piece. Although, how lucky it really was is open since it was the only one that died. It was actually the healthiest in the Hydroton at first. Then the other 2 caught it and took off. It just never really seemed to acclimate to the bucket.

I hope that everything works out for you Sir Bud. I'm thinking you'll know in a few days once the settle in and start some new growth. That's what I never got for the one I transplanted. I had the easiest time with the ones I placed directly into the Hydroton. I even readjusted them twice and they still had no issues. So I almost wonder if it was just a bad seed. Either way, you've got her settled now. Keep it up and let me know how it goes. I will feel really bad if it doesn't turn out for you. Best of luck!!

~K~:goodjob:

Yeah I agree with those things aswell, pretty crucial all those things really.
I'm hoping that just the one in the hydroton rather then three might make a difference haha can only hope..
It is a shame wasted money on seeds but I've got 2 other SC dems, 3 blueberry fems, 1 red poison auto, 3 bloody skunk autos and I also for my order received 11 other free femized seeds(too many strains to list), got a heap of regular seeds of hash bomb, thc bomb and hashberry from another order. it will take me a long time to grow all of these till finish and a one gram harvest will make up for one SC seed.

Anyways thought is share a pic of my biggest outdoor of my five so far...
IMAG10045.jpg

Well I'm updating to help keep track of her after the happenings of lastnight haha
This is day 6 and about 27 hours after the break out transplant.
I've added 2 2700 k cfls and kept them abit higher to get some stretch happening and I've been topping with hydroton to just below leaves(correct me if that's the wrong way to go)
My humidity is low so I've added the bottom of coke 2 litre humidity dome to keep it above 60%
I'm sure the stem has stretched some so I added more hydroton, and thing leaves may have to but I'm unsure..
No roots poking through net cup yet but I expect that. May need to get some kind of temp/fan control unit to keep temps in the good zone between my check ups also.
Hope alls good in your corners of the globe buds.
IMAG10195.jpg

IMAG10218.jpg

IMAG10229.jpg

Re: Budlovskis First Time - LED & Bubble Bucket Grow

Iwhat is hard about making ph perfect rockwool anyways?

In a perfect world, 'RW and tap water would always be ph 5.8-6.3. But its not so even if RW came at the correct ph, the water you use to soak it in would have to be adjusted. So youll always have to adjust PH of something or other. This shouldnt be too much of a problem tho considering youll have to adjust the ph of your reservoir on a regular basis anyway.

Everything is looking good so far tho, hopefully that outdoor girl will be another 23 ounce :thumb:

Yeah I just mean like ph neutral or 5.5ph rockwool, then to start the seedling only need distilled water, or good ph-ed water so the primary soak can be avoided. But if you really do only have to for 2 hours like nitro said rather then 24 hours definately isn't as much of a f@ck around haha

I must say I would absolutely love to have another 23ounce girl, and I think everyday she grow close however I'm kinda scared she will and stink out her position hahaha
I'm just hoping she's not in to much shade atm, cheers mate.

Yes I envy those in a legal area who cn outdoor, the monsters I could grow like that would supply for years haha, I haves a feeling my big one will need to be trimmed in the flower stretch to stop it reaching over the fence aha ill be training it intensely I think.
Another bonus of the outdoors(my are bagseed though) is its perfect to get many many clones for the indoor space if seeds don't work, I have been eyeing of clones on this big one a while now but don't think I have space indoor atm haha

Cheers mate I surely will each week or so haha :thumb:

Here's a small update,
Day 15 overall
Things going a little bit slow while she's growing out of the net cup but she is almost there now! Lastnight roots showed out of net cup aswell. Today there was a small drama went to check on the lady and my airpump was not working :/ few love taps got her going again only problem is I don't know how long it was actually off for, if it happens again I may need to look for another airpump, or I will be going back to soil or coco not sure which yet.
Anyways, she never stopped growing since the transplant may have slowed, definately had more stretch then leaf growth which is fine by me at this stage.
I finally able to order my root conditioner tomorrow which I am glad because I believe the slower growth is more due to small ph fluctuations and not having any enzymes, I think once I get those things it will take off a lot better.
I do think for future reference I would like to see how using the qlwhole pellet in the bucket will go.

I also took some clones from the outdoor girls put them in jiffy pellets and got my fingers crossed some make it, I think 2 may not work already though.

Here's some pics 1 side, 1 from the top.

IMAG10346.jpg
IMAG10329.jpg

Thanks for having a look everyone and hope all your grows are chuuging along nicely :)

Everything looks great. I like the foil around it for more reflection. I haven't done that, but I think I may have to now. That pump could be a problem. Like DrewDrop says, it will kill your plant very quickly is she is consuming large amounts. Right now is probably not as critical, since O2 use is not likely very high. I would either take back the one that is bad and get a replacement or buy a new one and go with a different brand. Not sure what your store situation is like where you are, but Walmart and Petco have decent prices, or you can go the online route like DrewDrop also suggested. Best of luck and hope she starts to explode on ya soon brother!

~K~
:Namaste::bravo:

Thanks guys!! :)
Yes I am quiet keen for this leaf growth now, when lights come on depending how she looks I will most like put one of my full spec cfls back in.
I used alluminion tape when I made my buckets lid for watertightness since the lid is ply/chip board wood and also reflection the other foil was mainly to help with any possible light leaks in bucket, works well though since its reflective but also easy the bend and crush into place :)

Yeah its a worry this airpump, something of prefer to not worry about that's for sure.
When I had papaya still it did it once gave it a tap on the side and kept going good till the other day still going now so its abit bizarre.I do have a back up but its nowhere near good enough spec for bucket size.
I got the one I'm using from ebay so I'm unsure about getting it refunded since ill have to pay postage back to them so might just look for another brand on their and either sell this one or keep it for fish one day haha
Yeah my store situation is scrappy around here, got a couple of pet shops, when it comes to airpumps they are all Shotty low litre/hour or minute ones and bigger stores are a fair drive so might stay with online way for now.
Got to say this bubble bucket growing is already a fair learning curve right now haha.

Once again thanks guys and hope your gardens are treating you well, from I've seen they look like lovely plants :thumb: :Namaste:

Hey Sir Bud, fascinating grow so far. I am still very much just making use of the tiny space I have in my bedroom allocated to my grow. Your DIY and setup is bit beyond me at this stage but I will get there. more than anything I yearn to grow outdoors again. please can you add a couple more random shots of your outdoor girls throughout this journal.

As for the anxiety, yeah I can relate. What a nasty bitch it is but I have found a couple of ways to improve it. I find it usually happens when I get too high too fast. I am taking RSO regularly and am using the tacking method which usually does not get you stoned but occassionaly it doesn't work and it can be a little bit too much. Also I am suffering from chronic pain from what I sincerely hope is an acute condition and sometimes I just swallow a blob of oil to reduce the pain and it can be a bit hectic at times. Whats going on it life definitely has an effect and having children doesn't help.

The first thing i have found helps is starting really small, one or two drags just to let the body and mind get accustomed and then letting that slowly wear off. As it's wearing off I find I can ''top up'' a lot more and smoke more than I could comfortably handle if I didn't have a few primer puffs. I love getting very stoned occasionally as thats when I have my best realisations but those states are often far from comfortable. I find i rip myself to pieces emotionally and mentally and find all the reasons as to why I am a ''screw up''. All those insecurities and demons of the past resurface but often I find i think to myself, well the herb has exposed you to yourself so what are you going to do about it. It's during these periods where I have a long hard think about things and how simple changes can make a big difference in my life. The next day I make sure I apply at least one small change and keep applying it consciously until it becomes a habit. This helps with the mindset going forward and makes me feel good about things.

In the past I used to smoke occasionally and having those periods inbetween to apply the changes and then revisiting herb after a while allows you to focus on those and see the difference it makes. Growing herb also helps with realising that small deficiencies can have a big impact on plants and we are no different, staying physically healthy makes a big difference, especially in times of stress where your adrenal functions are putting your body in a state of fight or flight. It's not great for anxiety. Plus growing makes you realise how much of a process development is. To quote a fave song of mine ''If i sow a wind now, I will reap a storm''. Small changes you make now make a big difference later on. I especially think of my relationship with my small children and have realised more than once where I have been going wrong and weed has been the change of perspective I needed to see it. We will screw our kids up in some ways the same as our parents did before us (sometimes by overcompensating from our parents failures we create new ones). The best thing we could do is equip them with strength of character necessary to survive the issues we will create. I would prefer to be an occasional smoker again but at this stage my pain levels are so high at times, it's either weed or morphine which is not exactly a hard choice.

I have also found a vapourizer a useful tool for anxiety. The reason I have been growing Royal Queen Seeds strains is because I have been buying their CBD oil and they give free seeds. So i buy my brothers and mother's cbd oil too and get the seeds. My fave strain so far has been their fruit Spirit and i recon it would be pretty tough to have an anxiety attack or paranoia on that strain. Beautifully peaceful. Taking a drop of the cbd oil in the morning and at night has definitely made the anxiety better. It's a horrible thing because my mates and I used to smoke ridiculous amounts and I never had problems. I think we could have kept up with most people back then. Seems such a foreign thought now. Would probably be curled in the fetal position in a corner babbling nonsense if i even attempted what we used to do back in the good old days when the herb introduced me to my mind.

Thanks for coming by jacks :thumb:
Well I will be sure to add more and more, problem arm is my dog keeps flattening the poor ladies so I'm going to have to sort something out with that and watering is very tricky with nosey neighbours but they are tough girls,s far as I can tell 3 have shown female sex now so happy on that front :)
Might try get a few pics up tomorrow if I can .

And wow thanks for postingll that, I really do like to hear other peoples take on their anxiety and you hit the nail on the head with what you wrote, the ways I can relate to that are almost identical.
Its pretty hard for me to come by RSO around here unless I make it myself, however I have been planning on getting some oil going as you may have read, it may end up Beeing my main method. I'm also abit of a pain suffering not to the magnitude you seem to have but enough for me to cringe every few days.

I like your suggestion here last night when I couldn't sleep(on/off insomnia) I had just one pipe of some afghan I had left and it kept me nice and mellowed but not to anxious and fell asleep not long after, so I really do believe the way you suggest things is a great way to go about it. Ill just put it out there but you aren't a "screw up" mate if you were you wouldn't be sharing your knowledge and experience on the issue like you so caringly have :)
But I can relate to having weed induced realisations like you speak, I don't know if you read my review but from the sounds of things one thing I can reccomend your way is stay away from fastbuds pineapple express that will really mess with your mind and thoughts as I found out.

I'm going to Put this plan into action perhaps not right now with Xmas and busy family times coming however I think this plan will make for a great new years resolution, there is a lot of small things I must learn to deal with and look at from better perspectives like you mention. I really hope the SC smoke as well as oil will be good for me in this department since it is one of the very few strains actually targeted for anxiety but I am also definately going to be looking into the CBD strains a lot more after harvest.

Its good you mention that I have a vapour genie and an atmos vapor pen aswell but havnt used them fir awhile, probably due to the fact that when I got them I was still hooked on the bong but now each time I think ill stick with the vapor side of things and hopefully invest in a good vaporizer of some kind.
This is one thing I can relate to exactly, as I was younger I did the same me and mates would smoke most days nearly all day sometimes we'd drink and smoke which I've grown to dislike, if we had the bud I reckon I could of smoke a quarter a day easy but now like you mention I cringe and can't imagine doing that now especially with the low tolerance I have nowand last time I had a big smoke was the PE and I tell you now that nearly could of had me completely in a corner but I'm strong willed enough.

Ah do miss the good old days especially around here where all herd is just "weed" almost had the same effect everytime and always seemed so mind numbing and peaceful haha

But like you mention as we grow we change a lot especially through experiences, just like the experiences we put our plants through forms what they become.

Thanks for your input here mate it really is greatly appreciated and hopefully others will read with great respect too :thumb: :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom