Calyx Hunter's - Soil - Jedi Death Star - 2014

Calyx Hunter

Hello evryone! I've been lurking this site for a while a recently joined. I've already learned and applied so many techniques from this site. I've grown and harvested many times under Flourescent and LED lighting and this is my first grow with HID. I'm super excited for this grow as I was able to piece together some good equipment. For now I'll start showing my 4' T5 veg setup and the journal will progress to my 4x4 Gorilla Grow Tent with 600 watt HPS.

4 x Jedi Death Star clones (purchased from a clone bar in Denver land of the free home of the blazed)
"Jedi Death Star Bud

It's all about having the right Three C's - Cannabinoid Combination my friends

Jedi 41 % THC crossed with our unreleased 46% White Death Star (which is an Indica landrace strain pure white with trichomes, unlike White Widow which has Sativa to get those trichomes)

With this combination you'll get a powerful 43.5 % THC strain with the correct cannabinoid combination (CCC) for Indica lovers. Her trichome's outweigh the plant matter 4:1 so its sweet flavor comes through smoothly in every toke. You don't need to add molasses to smooth out the harshness, as it doesn't exist. Indica lovers will find it nice to have such an easy on the lungs smoke that packs the strongest Indica Punch, next to our Indica 50. But even that cannabinoid combo is not as good as our Jedi Death Star. Don't let the 6.5% less THC fool you, often it's the correct cannabinoid combo (CCC) that gets you the best high." -BCseeds.com

Currently in Vegetative stage
Grown in Fox Farm Ocean Forest
7" pots
4' 4 x T5 6400K lamps
running from 70 - 76 degrees
Ozeri Brezza II Dual Oscillating 10" High Velocity Desk Fan
Small Target brand fan
Reptile heating pads used at night to keep the roots on slower growing plants warm

Here's Day 1
Day_140.JPG

Day 7
Day_715.JPG

Day 10 started LST
Day_10_LSTa.JPG

Day 10 start LST other bush
Day_10_LSTb.JPG

Day 10 all 4 of the girls
Day_10_start_LST.JPG

Day 12 toppped all fastest growing tops
Day_1211.JPG

Re: Calyx Hunter's / Soil / Jedi Death Star / 2014

Contructive criticism and suggestions are wanted. If you fellow growers see anything I can improve please let me know. These girls are growing so fast I will probably transplant into 7 gallon Smart Pots this weekend. My goal is to get close to a pound of dried fruits. I'm hoping to LST and top my way to about 8 - 12 colas per plant.
I am also going to be working on venting the grow tent into the attic as I did a preliminary test and it was running at 91 degrees. I'll post pics when I have a functioning system to be proud of.

Thanks soo675! I've been thinking about SCROG and seeing how bushy these are growing I'll probably take your advice.

Here's Day 16
Transplanted to 7 gallon Smart Pots with Fox Farms Ocean Forest
600Watt Eye Hortilux Super HPS
Solis Tek 600Watt Digital Ballast
Day_16_moved_to_tent.JPG

I mounted my ballast so that I could secure the cabling and set it vertically for optimum air cooling. It's set in between the window and tent intake so cool air constantly flows over it.

Solis_Tek_600W.JPG

looking good man, if we all waited to have perfect gardens, there wouldn't be any journals going

that purpling that is traveling up the plant concerns me,

Thanks c526 for the compliment and concern. I noticed the purpling from Day 1 when I brought the babies home. What causes this and why does it concern you?

Here's the tent closed up and I want to test the link in my signature
GG_tent.JPG

some say, that's its ok some purpling happens(strain,genetics)

ive never had any good beans, so i treat all my purpling as a root issue,and usually i will give a little extra (liquid karma,silica blast)

These Jedi Death Star clones bushiness is amazing. I'm having so much fun topping and cropping these things. I'm getting very anxious for the flip which I'm predicting is about two weeks away. I have a few more pics of the setup I'd like to share. I have two cats so I've made every effort to keep their hair out of the grow room.

Here's Day 21 still in veg
77 degrees
26% RH
Day_2114.JPG

Here's my passive intake filtration
Passive_intake_filter.JPG

105 cfm axial fan for tent exhaust
exhaust12.JPG

6" bug filter for hood intake
hood_intake.JPG

The plant on the lower left is growing much faster and hardier than the rest. It has been under the Exhale Bag since moving to the tent a little under a week ago. Since I keep my SmartPots in trays on towels I was able to easily rotate the plants clockwise without disrupting the soil or damaging the Gorilla Grow Tent flood tray. I'm going to rotate them every few days now so they each get a turn under the CO2 shower.

Day 24
I've had a problem with the soil drying out very quickly. I suspect it is a result of a few factors in my tent. The Smart Pots allow for much more aeration of the soil which dries it out quicker. I have my passive intake air rushing across the Smart Pots. The top soil was exposed to the light. RH% is low. I added Hydroton to the surface of the soil to prevent it from drying out as quickly.
Day_248.JPG

The two Jedi Death Star star performers!
I've topped the fastest growing tops to keep things even. I've been removing the small lower growth to promote growth of the tops. I've been doing light LST to promote growth on the inner branches.
Day_24_big_girls.JPG

some say, that's its ok some purpling happens(strain,genetics)

ive never had any good beans, so i treat all my purpling as a root issue,and usually i will give a little extra (liquid karma,silica blast)

Cool Beans!
I may go with some cool beans for my next grow. I see all these pics on here of peeps hooking up on some really nice genetics through the mail. I want to try some variety next time. These Jedi Death Star clones are impressing me so far.

It seems to work really well. I wish I could afford a CO2 Meter and quantify some data but the plant that was nearest the Exhale Bag was much hardier and fuller than the rest. Since noticing this I'm doing a clockwise rotation of the plants every few days.
I figure with my passive intake being at the bottom of the tent and exhaust being at the top the CO2 has no choice but to diffuse and rise up with the rest of the air. I'm not keen on the physics behind CO2 diffusion in air but if I'm wrong someone please correct me. I understand CO2 is heavier than air but wouldn't it eventually diffuse and ride along with the air?

Yes, with an exhaust fan running continuously, supplemental CO2, even though it is heavier than air, does diffuse easily and gets evacuated relatively quickly. Only with the installation of a thermostaic fan controller did it make sense for me to add supplemental CO2 to my grow box. Now the fan runs only a few times during lights on and while the CO2 level does indeed fall during the exhaust cycle, it recovers relatively quickly once the exhaust cycle ends. I was surprised how expensive CO2 monitors are, it seems like adding an additional oxygen molecule causes as significant price increase as CO monitors are much less expensive. ;)

If you buy an Exhale Bag from the local store look for ones that have the most brown left in the bag. The white mycellium eventually fills it so more brown grain left means it has more life left. Oh and there's an expiration date on the back of the bag. I was like a cheap old lady at the grocery store digging to back of the milk shelf looking for the oldest expiration date. The guys at the grow shop gave me a look but I'm sure they understood. The expiration date on mine is 7/14/14 and I bought it on 1/7/14.

Back
Top Bottom