COorganics - No-Till Organic - 2nd No Till Run - Indoors - GSC Forum Cut

Looks like another great thread :) Im getting in on this too as I make my transition from hydro and chemicals to a wonderful and simple organic soil.

It seems like it may be difficult to move around in there once the bed is in. But I'm sure you have ideas on how to make your life easier. Looking great so far.

And yes, it has been noted before that wood chips and the first year or two of hugelkulture can leech N out of the soil to feed the fungi and microbes that are decomposing the wood. But after that it's gravy. It's important to have a large mound of earth/soil over top of your wood. Most people use a cover crop as well. Helps with the Nitrogen issue. Either green compost of actual nitrogen fixers. I think I read fall rye is good for this as well as alphalpha and clover.

Caulking shouldn't be messy if you do it right. Small slanted hole in the tip, even pressure and even movement followed by a quick tooling. If you find it messy keep a bucket of super soapy water close at hand. Caulking is normally hydrophobic and with the soap it will be even more so. I tool with my fingers or the caulking end of the gun. Wet your fingers in the soapy water and just run your finger around the caulked edged. Any extra on your finger just wash off in the water mix.

Can't wait to see some more progress :)

In the world of log based mushroom farming(Shiitake), the best fungal growth comes from the hardwood logs with thick cambium layers. More sugars also helps but to a lessor degree. So... sugar maple(hardwood) with thick cambium harvested in spring when the sap rises is just about optimal. A Red Maple(medium hard) can provide a lot of sugars but it just doesn't have the total calories available in a hardwood, so will not feed as much fungi.

A mushroom log also loses its potency after 5-7 years. A log that has been rotting in the forest for 3 years should, in my estimation, provide 3 years less food to your soil. The rule of thumb for hugelkulture it's one year of growth above ground equals one year of food below ground.

I would suggest fresh wood over aged wood for a second reason, in fresh wood you have some control over the microbial inoculation. In aged wood, the log is already inoculated with fungi suited for where you find the wood, and not necessarily suited for where you bury the wood.

In the world of log based mushroom farming(Shiitake), the best fungal growth comes from the hardwood logs with thick cambium layers. More sugars also helps but to a lessor degree. So... sugar maple(hardwood) with thick cambium harvested in spring when the sap rises is just about optimal. A Red Maple(medium hard) can provide a lot of sugars but it just doesn't have the total calories available in a hardwood, so will not feed as much fungi.

A mushroom log also loses its potency after 5-7 years. A log that has been rotting in the forest for 3 years should, in my estimation, provide 3 years less food to your soil. The rule of thumb for hugelkulture it's one year of growth above ground equals one year of food below ground.

I would suggest fresh wood over aged wood for a second reason, in fresh wood you have some control over the microbial inoculation. In aged wood, the log is already inoculated with fungi suited for where you find the wood, and not necessarily suited for where you bury the wood.

So I was onto something! lol

Would you use fresh cut wood? or would it be best to let it sit for a month or so before using it?

Looks like another great thread :) Im getting in on this too as I make my transition from hydro and chemicals to a wonderful and simple organic soil.

It seems like it may be difficult to move around in there once the bed is in. But I'm sure you have ideas on how to make your life easier. Looking great so far.

And yes, it has been noted before that wood chips and the first year or two of hugelkulture can leech N out of the soil to feed the fungi and microbes that are decomposing the wood. But after that it's gravy. It's important to have a large mound of earth/soil over top of your wood. Most people use a cover crop as well. Helps with the Nitrogen issue. Either green compost of actual nitrogen fixers. I think I read fall rye is good for this as well as alphalpha and clover.

Caulking shouldn't be messy if you do it right. Small slanted hole in the tip, even pressure and even movement followed by a quick tooling. If you find it messy keep a bucket of super soapy water close at hand. Caulking is normally hydrophobic and with the soap it will be even more so. I tool with my fingers or the caulking end of the gun. Wet your fingers in the soapy water and just run your finger around the caulked edged. Any extra on your finger just wash off in the water mix.

Can't wait to see some more progress :)

I should have clarified it sounded messy in this application. I've used caulk before and have a gun laying around somewhere. That said, now that I've reflected on it it doesn't sound like a bad idea. I just wouldn't use it while I have plants running.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies, if any of my comments were taken as criticism or dissuasion. From everything I've read of your and Sweetsue's grows, you both create superb soils, capable of growing anything from avocadoes to zucchini. Thankfully, my project avoided the potential problem, via informed crop selection. Sepp Holzer, a well-respected Permaculturist, reiterates the advice given me.
My only wish was to help you avoid any pitfalls, as we're in a similar position: both trying to adapt traditionally outdoor techniques to the indoors; in my case espalier, in yours hugelkultur. I wish you the best of luck w/your fascinating project.
Love and respect.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies, if any of my comments were taken as criticism or dissuasion. From everything I've read of your and Sweetsue's grows, you both create superb soils, capable of growing anything from avocadoes to zucchini. Thankfully, my project avoided the potential problem, via informed crop selection. Sepp Holzer, a well-respected Permaculturist, reiterates the advice given me.
My only wish was to help you avoid any pitfalls, as we're in a similar position: both trying to adapt traditionally outdoor techniques to the indoors; in my case espalier, in yours hugelkultur. I wish you the best of luck w/your fascinating project.
Love and respect.

I'm overdue to buy Sepp Holzer's book. Thanks for reminding me, I've added Sepp Holzer: Permaculture to my near term wish list.
My favorite free Permaculture resource to date is the 72 hours of video at: open Permaculture <dot> com.
Sepp's name came up a lot. I think it was when they were talking about ponds and swales.

When I think espalier, I normally think woven wood with grafts. With cannabis are you thinking more a candelabra shape?

Ranger, you didn't step out of line at all there man. All good in the hood here. Although I have very little if any at all worries about nutrient availability and deficiencies, I do appreciate your input.

Subbed! Thats a nice frame job! I framed houses for about 11 years. I just ordered some rd gear rare darkness (grape ape x rare dankness #1) and got 4 rd#1 for free and 2 others. So ill be curious how your rd beans come out :)
Did I say great job on the frame? Great job :) lol

Wow catchin up, I was gone for the weekend and had to break out the dictionary a few times to learn me some new terms! Wow ... nice. Ranger keep up the good work man it's all good here. I had to get spanked good to bring me around!!

I have a bunch of pics. Got intake and exhaust holes cut today and things in place, plants in room. Looking good. Room is sealed very well and floor passive air intake is pulling hard, with inline fan at 10%. At 100% the fan exhaust is pretty loud outside. I'm thinking of building a chicken coop right up to the exhaust outside.

image18400.jpg
image18401.jpg
image18402.jpg
image18403.jpg
image18404.jpg
image18405.jpg
image18406.jpg
image18407.jpg
image18409.jpg
image18410.jpg
image18411.jpg
image18412.jpg
image18413.jpg
image18414.jpg
image18415.jpg
image18416.jpg
image18417.jpg
image18418.jpg
image18419.jpg
image18420.jpg

That's the law in these parts. I bought a padlock today. I'm whooped, I'm gonna smoke a bowl and look at the temps in the room and crash out. Ice fishing beckons in the morn.

Back
Top Bottom