DharmaBud's First Grow Soil White Widow Auto & Silver LA-2013

re: DharmaBud's First Grow Soil White Widow Auto & Silver LA-2013

LOL!!! Maybe, after I can get one harvest under my belt first. Until then, I feel I haven't accomplished much!

I thought I was doing more good by pouring water from the bottom. These pots come in two pieces, one is the main pot, and the second is a little snap on trough that the water drains into. What I was doing, was watering the trough, and the soil at the bottom was taking it in as it was needed. I figured it was the best way to get the roots to grow and stretch reaching for the moist soil at the bottom.

You can do that successfully, however what you want to do is let em take water for around 15 minutes.......then drain the rest of the water out so they can dry out in between waterings!

Not sure about that pot, but it sounds like a "self watering pot" of some kind. They do work, but more for plants that are past the seedling stage... I agree with McLoadie about emptying overflow after about 15 mins.... I do it right after watering, about 15 - 20 mins later, then I check them all again about 4 hours later and empty if needed... Plants love water, they need it, just like we do, however, just like us, it's possible to drown them and that possibility multiplies the younger they are...

:Namaste:

Good Weed Lord Spimp. I see brown under the lights, but when I take it out, it's only the first two out of the seed that are slightly browning. The leaf is still curled and the growth has been stunted since before my watering. I hope I can play catch up with the NL, because it is supposed to get big and produce big and I have some plans for it that I learned on youtube last night. I am going to do a netless scrog, by basically bending main branches over horizontal to allow more growth vertical. Topping will also help. So by the time I go to flower I will have a bush 4-5 ft in diameter. I just need to get it growing.

It didn't help it keeping the light so far away on the first couple of day's, nor did it help to overwater it. I am excited to try the techniques I saw, and they make sense enough so I won't have to refer back.

I've been working on something similar... but based on Mainlining, but it sounds like the same thing... I topped and left the bottom 4 branches, then LST'd them out to allow the light to hit the branches, I didn't make them get any wider than a 2 liter, I wanted to see if it was possible to do 2Ls with 4+ colas this time... though if I get some more quick females showing, I might upgrade them to bigger containers and see what happens if I train them wider while in flower, not sure on that one yet :)

hi mate, had a quick flick through the last few pages, the first pic of the auto seedling looks like over watered or if you had just watered then that was not over watered, but the pic 2 pages back with the leaf curl issues could be over or under watering depending on how dry the pot was when you watered,

if it was under watered then the wilted leaves will be back to normal within an hour of watering,
if its over watered then the matter will just get worse until the roots dry out and start getting oxygen, the best option would be to fill a pot of the same size with the same growing medium, leave this pot totally dry, then you can compare the weight of the pot with the plant in with the weight of the pot with just dry growing medium in, when both are pretty similar then its time to water,

the other issue you might be having is to much N in the soil, this is an issue i had with a certain brand of compost i used, it killed several autos, it badly stressed another auto i transplanted into the new soil so it could just be a case of the soil been to hot for the plant your growing, if it does not kill the plant then it will just struggle for a while until the plant is adjusted to the hot soil, after a week or 2 it should recover and new leaves will grow like normal leaves should,

so just keep an eye on it, try not to over water, due to the seedlings been really small they wont be using much of the water in the soil, the top of the soil will dry out really quick and look and feel dry, but further down where the roots are out of the breeze from the fan and heat from the light is not reaching then this will still be pretty moist at root level,
just see how things go, i would not try watering from the bottom as this can make you over water due to the fact you keep adding water until the plant stops soaking it up, at this age you would only be watering a quater of a cup with each water or roughly around that much, water from the top and leave for a few days before you next water,

i dont think its anything to much to worry about at this stage unless things get much worse,

but it could be down to under watering if the soil really was completely dry, but if this was the case then the plant would recover in a matter of an hour or 2 and be back to normal,
if its over watered the it will stunt growth and roots will start to die until the soil dries out and the roots can breath and get the oxygen they need to continue with development,
to me it looks how my plants did when i used a different type of compost, but after about 10 days things sorted themselves out if the plants did not die within that time,

Actually D), the WW Auto is the bigger one and is doing well. It's the NL#5 X Haze that is stunted in growth and now all of a sudden has leaf curl.

ok, thats what happens when you try and catch up on a few pages while smoking a fat one,

seems strange that its not the auto, in that case it could be just over watering or could be genetics of that strain, it is possible to have a bad batch of seeds, i remember a while back growers on all the grow sites was having the same problem with one breeders strain, the plant would grow for 2 weeks then die, i had a seed from the same batch, their was many growers with the same problem but herbie then pulled them, from sale and replaced the seeds from a different breeder, so it might not be anything you have done it could just be bad genetics, it will more than likely sort itself out once the next set of leaves grow through,

if the auto is doing ok in the grow medium then that wont be causing the problem your having so we can certainly rule that out as autos tend to suffer when other none auto plants dont,

Hope all goes well! Good weed anyway :)

You can push your finger into the soil an inch deep or so then see if its wet, or still has moisture. The very top dries out quick and is deceiving.

Oh ye here is my dog :)
Show it to yours maybe they like eachother!

I call her 420, so this pic is about 420!
11925.jpg

:blunt:

it sure is, with fans and the lights the top inch or 2 of soil really does dry out real quick, even young plants have deep roots but not many of them, the tap root will soon be at the bottom of the pot within a few days of the seed opening, so it will be getting the moisture from as far down as the bottom of the pot, they say to judge with your fingers poke them down to the second knuckle, but i find it can damage roots if you start digging down,

you can usually tell by the weight, make sure the drain holes are not blocked and the pot is slightly raised to allow run off after watering, im pretty sure it will sort itself out though,

Hope all goes well! Good weed anyway :)

You can push your finger into the soil an inch deep or so then see if its wet, or still has moisture. The very top dries out quick and is deceiving.

Oh ye here is my dog :)
Show it to yours maybe they like eachother!

I call her 420, so this pic is about 420!
11925.jpg

:blunt:

Dharma dog found 420 attractive and worth mentioning in polite company. Her words not mine!!!

Well, I'm not very pleased with the growth rate of either one so far. They still look like they are 2-3 day old seedlings at best.

Here is the White Widow Auto Day 05
1374903061.jpg

Here is the NL #5 X Haze Day 05. No sign of any second set of leaves yet on day 05, I can't see where it has grown any since two days ago. Maybe you guy's can?
1374902838.jpg

They look great Jeff! These plants need to establish a root system, the bigger the pot the later they start up above ground.
They will start rapid growth a bit later - dont expet them to grow like a clone or mature plant just yet!
I see the curling is gone too :)

They're doing fine - nice color, nice plump to the leaves, no sign of wimpiness.
:thumb:

Patience, glasshoppa. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Happy Sativaday Jeff:)

They are looking fine sir. As invi mentioned, solo cup sprouts star above ground earlier becasue they have hit the bottom with roots. In a planter they have more room to root so they take a little longer but explode uptop once they start.
Just an observation and opinion, but do you see how your one gals leaves look alittle puffy? Thats overwatering. Not like they are gonna die overwatering, just a little too often for them it looks like. Remember how puffy that leaf looks now, and in a month you will have a reference incase you have a overwatering question. And dont worry, 95% of noob growers overwater and 75% probably kill em from overwatering. You are not in that group. Your gonna have two nice ladies from them beans sir. ;)

They look great Jeff! These plants need to establish a root system, the bigger the pot the later they start up above ground.
They will start rapid growth a bit later - dont expet them to grow like a clone or mature plant just yet!
I see the curling is gone too :)

I should have thought of that, though the pots aren't that much bigger than a 16 oz solo cup. Thanks Invi!

They're doing fine - nice color, nice plump to the leaves, no sign of wimpiness.
:thumb:

Patience, glasshoppa. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks Graytail!

Happy Sativaday Jeff:)

A fine Sativaday to you too Uncle Fish!!!

They are looking fine sir. As invi mentioned, solo cup sprouts star above ground earlier becasue they have hit the bottom with roots. In a planter they have more room to root so they take a little longer but explode uptop once they start.
Just an observation and opinion, but do you see how your one gals leaves look alittle puffy? Thats overwatering. Not like they are gonna die overwatering, just a little too often for them it looks like. Remember how puffy that leaf looks now, and in a month you will have a reference incase you have a overwatering question. And dont worry, 95% of noob growers overwater and 75% probably kill em from overwatering. You are not in that group. Your gonna have two nice ladies from them beans sir. ;)

I thought they were broader because of the Sativa in them? I did just water the WW for the first time since she broke ground. NL #5 X Haze I haven't touched since the curling.

Here is the White Widow Auto Day 05
1374903061.jpg

See the kinda bubble looking things? How it kinda looks puffy? thats what I mean sir. Its not critical, just an observation.

Back
Top Bottom