Dwc

Which strain next?

• Total voters
Re: SouthernWeed Swims Again.DWC/H&G Nutrients

Still looking like a 10 out of 10. :goodjob:

Correct me if I'm wrong... but is dirt starting to seem... dirty? ;)

That's funny...a Pitism..Thanks for the kind words, wish I could take some credit, but the nutes seem to be doing the job to a fare-thee-well, all I do is monitor PPM...don't even worry about PH any longer...I check it once in awhile just to keep an eye on it, but these nutes just don't go out of range.

Hopefully we'll get a 10/10 on the harvest as well.

That's funny...a Pitism..Thanks for the kind words, wish I could take some credit, but the nutes seem to be doing the job to a fare-thee-well, all I do is monitor PPM...don't even worry about PH any longer...I check it once in awhile just to keep an eye on it, but these nutes just don't go out of range.

Hopefully we'll get a 10/10 on the harvest as well.

Southern humility... I shall never tire of it. ;)

I'm still giving you credit, whether you want it or not! :cheesygrinsmiley:

I know, I know, you don't want to get cocky since things can go downhill fast in hydro... but you really seem to have this grow dialed in. There are no nutes on the planet that will perform if the set up is not done right and maintained.

5 stars bro, you earned it.

Damn SouthernW your girls are looking foxy! You can't get a plant that looks any healthier in my opinion. You must be doing something right fo sho. Keep it up

Southern humility... I shall never tire of it. ;)

I'm still giving you credit, whether you want it or not! :cheesygrinsmiley:

I know, I know, you don't want to get cocky since things can go downhill fast in hydro... but you really seem to have this grow dialed in. There are no nutes on the planet that will perform if the set up is not done right and maintained.

5 stars bro, you earned it.

Thanks Brother, I appreciate it. And you are so right...you can fall from the mountain top quickly and easily, so I'll maintain a good watch on these two.

Damn SouthernW your girls are looking foxy! You can't get a plant that looks any healthier in my opinion. You must be doing something right fo sho. Keep it up

And thanks to you as well. You know all I do is carefully measure my ingredients, let them cycle and from that point, just add water and monitor PPM, when it gets down to around 50% strength...my PPM is running around 1100 this week...I swap the buckets. PH never gets below 5.2 or above 6.0 so I never have to mess with that...a great change from the nutrients I had previously used in hydro, when I had to adjust PH 2-3 times a day once the plants really got going.

Seriously, my impression at this point is if you use good water, measure your ingredients precisely, and monitor your water/PPM levels, the H&G nutrients are pretty much idiot proof.

Hopefully I'll feel the same way in 6 weeks or so.

Changed buckets out yesterday and the plants went a little beserk. Replaced just under a gallon in each bucket this morning, and PPM took a larger than normal drop...these two girls are just pigs for the H&G stuff.

Vertical height is still rather unimpressive, but with the addition of the HPS bulb, and knowing the plant should be in full stretch mode now, I expect that will change.

I'm loving the structure of these two plants. Any of you guys and gals that are into plant bondage should give LA Woman a close look...it seems to have been bred with LST in mind.

So all continues to go well...oh yeah, y'all like pics...

Legs

100_2202.jpg

100_2203.jpg

The Runt

100_2204.jpg

100_2205.jpg

That'll do it for today.

Let me know what y'all think.

I got some of her(L.A Women) going right now. Mine is stright cola style. Shes so tightly spaced w/ her internodes. I can see how she could be lst'd though. LOL..Mine is a 4 foot cola. shes in my gallery or my Butchers Pride journal. She is one hell of plant though. For an indica, she grows fast!

Had the first issue yesterday with the grow. Fortunately, it was an easy fix.

Went in yesterday afternoon to check water levels and realized that my air pump had died. I have no idea how long it was dead before I found out, but a quick trip to a local pet store got a good enough pump to survive until I can go and buy a really good air pump today.

Plants show no adverse reaction so I'm not terribly worried.

Coincidentally or not, the plants took up very little water yesterday...so little that I haven't even bothered to top them off this morning.

That's about it...no pics today.

Y'all have a great day.

The air pump failure seems to have had sort of a delayed effect on the plants, but more so on Legs. Both plants are a bit droopy today.

I went ahead and swapped the buckets out...again...and they should perk back up today. Inexplicably, the Runt showed some evidence of very slight nute burn. I'm working on the assumption that with all the oxygen depleted from the buckets, the PH started swinging rapidly and may have been on the cusp of a serious lockout issue, and with the replacement of the air pump and nute solution the roots opened up again and put a little more into the plant than it needed all at once.

Anyhow, it seems that that problem will resolve itself, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Took a couple of pics...

Legs

100_2206.jpg

100_2207.jpg

May not look like it in the pictures...still sorting out the filter on this new camera...but the color is beautiful on her.

The Runt

100_22081.jpg

100_2211.jpg

Kind of the same deal here...haven't got the filter settings quite right yet...beautiful green color.

That's the show for today folks.

Poll closing update

Going to close the poll for the next grow two weeks from today...get your votes in and counted now.

My goodness those plants look bushy and green and COMPACT! I really like the way they look...couldn't look healthier

My goodness those plants look bushy and green and COMPACT! I really like the way they look...couldn't look healthier

Thanks Brother. I'm ready for them to gains some height now, though. A very good friend and of mine, who also happens to be a gifted grower, came by and mocked my "fat, midget chicks"...then asked if they were gonna rassle. Tommy's an interesting person, and I mainly keep company with him just to see what the lunatic son of a bitch is going to say or do next.

Glad you like them...

Week 5 Nutrient List

Aqua Flakes A 34ml
Aqua Flakes B 34ml
Root Exceleratuer 4.4ml
Multi Zyme 15.2ml
Drip Clean 1.6ml
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just finished swapping out the new buckets, for the third time in a seven day period. PH has remained stable, but I can't hold what I consider an adequate PPM level for more than three days right now.

A very simple fix to this would be the addition of a central res, but for this grow, I'll just keep swapping out the buckets...in the future I'll be adding a res with 5 spare gallons per bucket, just to calm down the PPM swings and knock out some of the mid week bucket changes.

The runt has recovered from the stress, but Legs is still a little droopy. I believe with the fresh nute solution, and me raising the light 6"...was getting just a tad warm at the canopy top...she should perk back up.

I'm starting to consider trimming off some of the fan leaf tips. Those things are just so large, they're blocking off all light and soaking the lower portions of the plants with transpired water. Not going to do it today, but it may become necessary in a few days.

I meant to take some root pics...it'll blow y'all's mind...but I forgot and put them back in the buckets. I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow.

Pics...

Legs

100_22121.jpg

100_22131.jpg

The Runt

100_2214.jpg

100_22151.jpg

That's it for now.

Y'all have a great day.

Just caught up with you journal, amazing work! You are on the cutting edge of testing these new nutrients. All these guys who joined after me are totally surpassing me!:biglaugh::scratchinghead: I just went through Tunes and your journals, and you guys have advanced so much so fast! I've got to step up my game and hit the books!:geek: I can't believe how dense and healthy your ladies look! They don't make you look like you know what you're doing, you do!:welldone::ganjamon:

Just caught up with you journal, amazing work! You are on the cutting edge of testing these new nutrients. All these guys who joined after me are totally surpassing me!:biglaugh::scratchinghead: I just went through Tunes and your journals, and you guys have advanced so much so fast! I've got to step up my game and hit the books!:geek: I can't believe how dense and healthy your ladies look! They don't make you look like you know what you're doing, you do!:welldone::ganjamon:

Glad to have you back Brother. It's been a pleasure to work with these H&G nutrients so far. I simply follow the mixing instructions, set my PH to 5.5 and watch the water level and PPM. PH does move, but never really out of range with the extreme readings at 5.1 and 6.0, when the buckets are pretty used up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm working on a little side project...haven't made up my mind if I'm going to do a journal on it or not yet...and I was talking to Beau, my sole supplier about getting some odds and ends I needed to order to get it going. Every time we talk, around once a week, he asks what my impressions of the H&G stuff and how things are growing. In passing, after telling him about the air pump failure and resulting stress, I mentioned I had never seen a plant so damn ready to just explode with buds...but not actually doing it. He chuckled an said, "Wait two weeks. When you start adding the Top Booster and Bud XL, it's going to blow your mind. And by the way, in four weeks, when you add the Shooting Powders, it's going to explode all over again." That has me just all stirred up with anticipation now, as everything he's told me and everything I've been told by Humboldt Whosale, has come true.

Anyhow, had to add just over 1 gallon to each bucket this morning, and PPM was significantly down. I may have to go ahead and set up a 12-15 gallon res for these two or I'm going to be swapping buckets every other day before long.

Legs is perking back up, and the Runt just continues her lateral spread...she's confused and believes she's a cucumber plant.

Pics tomorrow, I'm lazy today.

VK has a one vote lead...Poll closes in 12 days...get your votes in now.

Took out the calender and did a little math and realized that we are right at halfway on this grow. I defiantly have two slightly different phenos...Legs has larger leaves an a Christmas tree shape. The Runt is shaped almost like a box, with slightly smaller leaves and a whole lot more odor.

I've become...not worried or concerned...more like very curious, as to why the leaves on Legs haven't really perked up. PH is on the number as is PPM, although PPM is a bit harder to keep dialed in. Water and nute uptake are prodigious on both plants and everything appears healthy...just some droopy leaves. I'm beginning to wonder if the weight of the leaves is keeping them from standing out a little more.

Going back to a idea/question I had a couple days ago, I'm seriously considering removing large portions of the fan leaves to open up some light penetration and to keep the lower sections of the plant from being absolutely soaked with transpired water. Fans are no longer keeping up with it and with bud set well underway, mold/bud rot is starting to become a bit of a concern...experienced growers need to weigh in here. I'm a big believer in removing some fan leaves in mid/late flower...but this is awfully early.

Pics...

Legs

100_22161.jpg

100_2217.jpg

100_22181.jpg

The twisted leaves on the top aren't from stress, it's due to me accidentally moving one of the three fans when I checked the plants last night...They've pretty much straightened out...just still drooping...perhaps under their own weight.

The Runt

100_2219.jpg

100_2220.jpg

100_2221.jpg

That's the show folks...hope y'all are enjoying this trip.

Y'all have a great day.

Swapped out the buckets yesterday afternoon. I slightly raised the nutrient strength...went halfway between week 3 flower and week 4 flower on the Aquaflakes A&B, trying to boost up the ppm a bit. It was set right on 1200ppm last night after the change. This morning, after being topped off, PPM was down to 820. Plants are really sucking up the nutes.

Leg's leaves are perking up some...all new growth is standing straight, but the lower growth is still droopy. Since I got no feedback on trimming sections of the fan leaves, I've decided to follow my instinct and trim them back some. I'll be doing that as soon as I'm done here.

I'm working on a 10 gallon spare res for these two buckets...gets a little old having to swap out new buckets every 3 or 4 days, and with the way the plants inhale the nutrients, some of the slight issues I have right now could fall back on a low PPM bucket.

I'm still quite pleased with the H&G nutrients, the plants take it up faster than any nutrient I've used to date, but that is a slight downside in a DWC application. Separate res capacity is going to be important...unless you want to change buckets daily...an idea I'm already playing with anyhow, as my spare res is definitely a Mcgyver Special.

Bud sites are starting to really swell, but it's obvious they need the Top Booster and Bud XL to really get into the swing. Week 4 flower (Sunday's bucket change) will see the addition of Bud XL. Week 5 flower adds Top Booster to the Bud XL. Week 6 gets into the Shooting Powders, so we're three days away from starting to throw the real flower food at them...in other words, it's about to get interesting.

Y'all have a great day.

Damn Southern.....those are some squatty little ladies aren't they? I like their growth habit. Do they stay short and compact like that throughout flowering? I wonder how they do in a soil grow. I did see somebody else's journal with the LA woman strain. Anyhow, great job!

Damn Southern.....those are some squatty little ladies aren't they? I like their growth habit. Do they stay short and compact like that throughout flowering? I wonder how they do in a soil grow. I did see somebody else's journal with the LA woman strain. Anyhow, great job!

Yeah, they're a couple stumpy chicks, that's for sure. I kept the MH going for a bit after the 12/12 switch to try and control the stretch, and either it worked like a charm, or these are just some naturally short bushy plants. Keep in mind also that I only vegged these two for 2 weeks, and that certainly impacted their overall height.

A number of people have these going right now. Butcher had one...Pit planted one seed and got three plants from it...crazy stuff there, and I'm sure there are more, but it's getting more and more difficult to follow the volume of journals that I used to, as a reult of a Trusted Sponsor offering it up as a freebie.

I'm sure they would do just fine in a soil grow...it's a very forgiving plant in hydro, so I'd think it'd be the next thing to impossible to screw it up beyond repair in soil.

Cool...thanks for the info. Planning any more soil grows or are you fully Hydro now?

Late spring or early summer I'll be coming back to it. I'm spending a good bit of time prepping holes for twenty outdoor plants, once they are in the ground, I'll probably come back to soil for some additional work with guanos/castings and a few other goodies that I'm trying to sort out now.

Hydro is never going to replace soil for me, but I enjoy it and it helps make me a better grower working in water and dealing with the inumerable things that can go all SNAFU and ruin your grow. I have high respect for the true hydro masters, but I'm always going to run home to dirt.

Back
Top Bottom