EtOH extraction with vacuum purge

Good grief! Are you running separate batches? Quality blonde.
How much bud went into this batch?

I ran a total of 910g or 2lbs. There was 1.0lbs in the first run and 1lbs 0.5ozs in the second. Yield was 136g of blonde and 140g of not-so-blonde. I mixed the kinda-blonde with the green to get not-so-blonde. :)

So, just to make sure I've got the idea here.... You just put chunks of dry ice in the bags and shake it out of the mesh?

I've got bubble bags, and seems WAY less hassle than working with the ice water...
Exactly. It beats the hell out of the flower but I think it beats the hell out of the ice water method.

If I were going to do it again I'd get a couple of those needlepoint hoops that fit the bags to pull the mesh tight. It seems that keeping the mesh tight like that would provide more mesh surface area and maybe reduce the time required in shaking the bag. I'm thinking that bouncing the dry ice and flowers on a tight surface would speed the process.

When I run this process again I'm going to step up to the 90 micron screen with a needlepoint hoop. I think the 73 micron is too small. The scope shot of the 90 micron sift shows a lot of trichome heads, and maybe if I'm not beating the snot out of the plant trying to get things through the 73 micron screen I'll get better yield and less pulverized green.

The gold sieve screen is a killer idea. I have a screen printing press and many different screen densities, and I've wondered if I could fab up a screen with a vibro-shaker, but realistically, do I need it? No. If it was a commercial business then yes, but I'm small potatoes. But it's fun to think about!

Man, I almost didn't get through the 1st paragraph, f'n priceless, lmao! Great write up Rider.

That grow and everything about it was a barely controlled accident. I'm just dealing with the fallout now. I'm meeting with my attorney this week to see if I can legally donate to medical cannabis card holders. The laws are a convoluted mess and I need help figuring them out. I have more than my brother needs for the foreseeable future and there are other strains I want to grow. If I can't donate it, what isn't earmarked for him or my experiments has to go away. It's sad, but it's reality.

I don’t want to be the “nay-sayer” in the crowd, but I’m going to throw a wrench in here...dry ice extract is not as good [in my opinion.] I don’t know why, I’ve played with it and it’s just not as good.

I know you’re working with a huge quantity and want to extract faster, but I’m not sure the dry ice method is the best. Here’s why I say that, I used the dry Ice method several times before, got pretty good looking stuff. I tried smoking it, but it seemed to be missing something and was not “full-melt” like you would get from dry sifting with multiple micron flat screens. Believe me, I’ve been down this road. I’ve tried Rosin pressing the dry ice extract too. It’s not as good. I know that sounds weird, but it’s true. At least for me.

Having said that, I don’t know what the dry ice extract will be like after an alcohol bath and purge. You should try a batch of it first. I’ve not experimented with that. You have a setup that will make killer oil so try making a small batch from that stuff.

If I had that much bud, id be pressing the shit out of it to make Rosin, but that’s me. :ganjamon:

The fact that you want to donate your time, effort, and cash to others makes you top-notch in my book Rider. It’s above and beyond my friend. You’ve partially revived my hope in humanity...this world needs more people like you, and that’s a fact!

:bravo:

Thank you, guys. Very kind of you.
I don’t want to be the “nay-sayer” in the crowd, but I’m going to throw a wrench in here...dry ice extract is not as good [in my opinion.] I don’t know why, I’ve played with it and it’s just not as good.
I agree completely! Even last night I said the same thing on Scrogdawg's thread after seeing the results of his ice water extraction. And the guru of hash, the Hashishin Frenchy Cannoli says the dry ice method is his least favorite.

Good work rider! Man once I switched to dry ice from Ice/water I never went back. So much easier and better yield in my opinion. I have a big 45”x45” table in my grow area I like to use just for that reason :) never seen that much start/end product though haha!
The dry ice method is definitely easy and fast, and the yield is there for sure. But the quality suffers from the violent shaking of the bags. The secondary product I got is chock full of green material that's been pulverized. If only we could convince the gland heads to break off from their stalks and fall in a nice clean pile. :)

The verdict is in on the dry ice hash method. It sucks. The blonde just chars and burns rather than bubble and melt. It doesn't press worth a damn either. The smoke reports are good though. I'm told that it tastes great and smokes very smoothly with very little harshness.
The green stuff is just pulverized plant. Total garbage.

Sad day. Other than what was produced for my brother and a small holdback for personal use all of the excess was denatured with gasoline and tossed. I love growing but with the wacky laws between the state and the Feds I'm taking no chances. It boggles the mind that this wonderful plant is still treated like cocaine or heroin on the Federal level and that state laws don't take into account bumper crops. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom