Feral's Adventures In Homemade DWC - 2015 - 400W HPS

I'm cruising along fine today.. caught up on all my threads...

So it's not me, it's you :)

I had a feeling it was to do with this damn antivirus program, probably what has been causing me the issues with uploading pictures too.
Thanks Rad, i will have a look into it so i can also catch up on all the journals :rofl:

I did however have a pretty awesome day in all, where i am doing volunteer work is at a wildlife sanctuary (Its hectares and hectares of protected dense bushland) and i was having a chat with a friend today, he said there are cannabis plants out there that are native to this land. This wouldnt surprise me as we have plants that can not even be found in the rest of this country let alone the rest of the world, this got me thinking, i have a few hours to spare :rofl:
I spent a good 2 hours working my way through the dense bushland and came to a nice creek with a little cave area perfect for swimming, i will have to head back down there more prepared next time and follow that creek, it may be a myth or could even just be a guerilla grower but i enjoyed every minute of it, being out there alone with nature :rofl:
Would be amazing to find a landrace strain, clone it and produce seeds. Or maybe im just too high lol.

I had a feeling it was to do with this damn antivirus program, probably what has been causing me the issues with uploading pictures too.
Thanks Rad, i will have a look into it so i can also catch up on all the journals :rofl:

I did however have a pretty awesome day in all, where i am doing volunteer work is at a wildlife sanctuary (Its hectares and hectares of protected dense bushland) and i was having a chat with a friend today, he said there are cannabis plants out there that are native to this land. This wouldnt surprise me as we have plants that can not even be found in the rest of this country let alone the rest of the world, this got me thinking, i have a few hours to spare :rofl:
I spent a good 2 hours working my way through the dense bushland and came to a nice creek with a little cave area perfect for swimming, i will have to head back down there more prepared next time and follow that creek, it may be a myth or could even just be a guerilla grower but i enjoyed every minute of it, being out there alone with nature :rofl:
Would be amazing to find a landrace strain, clone it and produce seeds. Or maybe im just too high lol.

Embrace the adventure :high-five:

is it just me or is the site having a major spaz attack today? took me 3 hours to load the page and make that last post lol, had similar issues yesterday.

I am so glad you posted that. I had an awful time yesterday and this morning with pages loading extremely slow. It seems to be working well now, but that's frustrating.

I am envious of your activities at the wildlife sanctuary. That must have been a very fulfilling experience! I can picture it...and I want to be there finding those "wild" weeds. LOL

:thumb:

I am envious of your activities at the wildlife sanctuary. That must have been a very fulfilling experience! I can picture it...and I want to be there finding those "wild" weeds. LOL

:thumb:

Looks like i will be there every thurs and fri from now on and one of my main jobs will be marking out new trails for bushwalks etc, should give me a great chance at exploring lol (also what areas to keep people away from :rofl: ), I was back out there today but the weather was not too good, lucky i decided against it as it poured with rain not long after i got there. After yesterdays walk i ended up sleeping like a baby last night :rofl:

Hey Feral. Just passing through saying hi and compliments on the cool journal. Very nice! :thumb:

Thanks for stopping by and checking it out mate, Welcome :)

Almost at the end of this one now but should have some really cool stuff coming up once these girls are finished ;)

Speaking of cool stuff i managed to find myself a supplier of the netpot lids i got my hands on last time at the hydro shop and they are cheap cheap :) I decided to go the 6" model instead of the 8" ones i got last time and received 4 today and even got some freebies, I will end up changing out all of my reservoirs to the matching system soon too as they stock 15L buckets to suit these lids, a bit smaller res than i am currently running and will drop them down lower giving me more growth space and less nutrients wasted. They also stock the air stones i like to use, i bought 6 for cheaper than i could find 1 elsewhere :)
Another thing that arrived today was my new Bluelab PH meter, this thing is damn sexy.... well about as sexy as a PH meter can get LOL, the other meter i pulled out of the rice today and put the batteries back in, works perfectly again and dry, did need a pretty decent calibration though so not sure if i would trust it too much.

Screenshot_1411.png

And last but not least, not sure if i have mentioned these in the past but i bought some containers which should be perfect for my pollen and seed storage once i get the ball rolling, i bought one set of the smaller ones quite a while ago and regretted not getting more at the time, now should have enough to last me a lifetime :rofl:

Screenshot_142.png

I can now get updates later tonight with my new meter, stay tuned ;)

good choice of a ph pen. I have had mine for a year now. You do need 7.0 and 4.0 ph solution to calibrate it, you'll be doing that once a month. I like the 6" net pots over the 8 or 10's, they make it easier to do things in your bucket.

Its about time i got a decent one, it is my most used tool in the garden and to think i put so much trust into a cheap $10 one :rofl: I still need to grab the calibration solutions but thats not a major worry right now, will grab them at some point next week.

I hear you there about the 6" net pots, so much easier to maneuver around to check the res and also not as heavy due to less clay balls lol, only grabbed the 8" last time because it was all he had in the hydro shop and he had no plans to order any more.

Hello everyone, time for some updates. It has been a few days since i have shown anything and i think there are some real good things happening in there worth showing tonight, I will get started nice and slow with the seedlings.

Seedlings:
These are the last seeds i plant into rockwool, i can quite easily put them in soil and have better results from experience, get them started and take clones, of course i need to sort out my cloning situation first as i have lost the touch lmao, still no signs of roots on any of the clones and tbh apart from the clone i took for the solo cup comp, the rest look like crap :rofl:
White Jack: after her first set of leaves decided to turn yellow at the tips she had not really shown any signs of growth, in the past 2 days or so she has started to grow her second set, looking much healthier but still tiny, roots dont seem to have grown much more though. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Screenshot_146.png

Skywalker Kush: Not sure what her issue is, she is green all over but her first set of leaves just wont open, i am prepared to open them myself but not at this stage being so small, will give her a few days.

Screenshot_145.png

Currant Kush: She has had a taproot out the bottom of the rockwool for 3 days now, still not a sign of her breaking ground, i thought i may have closed up over her too tight so i gently moved it around a little to make it easier for her.

Atomic#2:
She is stunning, growing exactly the way i wanted her to. She has a really nice strong core, all the branches are thickening up and the root system being in two net pots (3" to 8" lid) has made her really stable. Growth over the last few days has been pretty good and still on track to go to 12/12 once the current girls have finished and had a few days drying in a dark tent, i am guessing maybe friday next week. PH was sitting around 5.6 with an EC of 0.9, i may up the nutes a little tonight to plump her up a bit for next week.

Screenshot_143.png

Screenshot_144.png

Atomic#1:
I have no idea how she looks as good as she does, she is in a cupboard with a light, no fan, no exhaust or airflow, just in a cupboard, 100% healthy running on a really low nute mix with the PH off and starting to flower all over :rofl: This got me thinking, it has to be the DM Gold nutrients i use, i have no other explanation, over all i am really happy with the range if it gives me these results each time :)
I am so happy my new PH pen came and i did not have to let the girls suffer over the weekend, this is the point where it first really came in handy. PH was sitting on 5.0 so i added 20 drops of PH up to her res which brought it back up to 5.9, EC sitting on 0.9. After everything was done she had a Liquid Light foliar spray, a few more days and a few more hairs i will start with the CS treatments to a couple of limbs. She is massive and at this rate is going to fill the cupboard LOL

Screenshot_147.png

Screenshot_148.png

Flower Tent:
Looking so nice in here, temps and RH around the same as usual.

Screenshot_149.png

Atomic Bomb:
Looking gorgeous, will not be a mega yield or anything but thats not what i am after, she is healthy apart from some minor defs to some fan leaves and at this stage id be expecting them to be pulling the last of what they can get anyways ;) Atomic#2 will be a bigger yielder, Atomic had a split stalk from a pretty young age which would have affected her majorly. So far with my training and cropping techniques i have been testing with this strain all points to being not such a good one for stretching out with LST so to speak but takes really well to Topping and Fimming, still have a long ways to go with Atomic#2 so time will tell. As you can see in the photo's though, she has some weight to her, even though tied up she still looks like the leaning tower of pisa :rofl: all the smaller branches i didnt bother tying up are now pointing to the floor lol. PH was very low today, so happy i had a meter to test, it was at 4.3, I then added 30 drops of PH up + 3L water to bring her up to 5.8, will need checking again later.

Screenshot_150.png

Screenshot_1511.png

Screenshot_152.png

Money Maker:
She is amazing, her colas are so big and dense, i am really hoping she takes well to reveg as i would love to grow her 2nd gen and also make some fem pollen, I may even try keep her around for a few seasons and put her through a few more generations to see if it makes any difference in quality or growth. PH today was exactly the same as Atomic, Low, 4.3, i also added 30 drops of PH up + 3L water to get her up to 5.8. The defs to fan leaves surprisingly have not gotten any worse, mainly only showing in 2 colas.

Screenshot_153.png

Screenshot_154.png

Screenshot_155.png

Great White Shark:
Absolutely nothing has been done to her, no checks nothing. I am surprised how well she is going considering she has pretty much been growing herself for weeks now on the same res without any of my input :rofl: , I gave one of her heads a rub tonight and the smell, wow it smells so potent and to my surprise the nugs were filling out and very dense. So hard getting pics down in that dark corner of hers :rofl:

Screenshot_156.png

Screenshot_157.png

Today i have ordered 4 of the 15L matching buckets to suit the netpot lids, while i was at it i added the PH 4 and 7 calibration solutions to my order, I went with the Hy-Gen brand as it worked out to be around $7 each 250ml bottle, half the price i could get the bluelab stuff for.
Man that took some time, hour and a half on the photos today lol, hope you are all having a great day and as always, thanks for stopping by :Namaste:

Atomic Bomb:
Looking gorgeous, will not be a mega yield or anything but thats not what i am after, she is healthy apart from some minor defs to some fan leaves and at this stage id be expecting them to be pulling the last of what they can get anyways ;) Atomic#2 will be a bigger yielder, Atomic had a split stalk from a pretty young age which would have affected her majorly. So far with my training and cropping techniques i have been testing with this strain all points to being not such a good one for stretching out with LST so to speak but takes really well to Topping and Fimming, still have a long ways to go with Atomic#2 so time will tell. As you can see in the photo's though, she has some weight to her, even though tied up she still looks like the leaning tower of pisa :rofl: all the smaller branches i didnt bother tying up are now pointing to the floor lol. PH was very low today, so happy i had a meter to test, it was at 4.3, I then added 30 drops of PH up + 3L water to bring her up to 5.8, will need checking again later.

Screenshot_150.png

Atomic Bomb is beautiful. Growing bud in every visible node.

However,

The whole branches throwing up towards the floor is unattractive. :rofl:

Today was a good day, headed out for a drive to watch a friend play some music at a pub and caught up after a few years of him living and touring in a band around Sweden. A real nice chilled out afternoon followed by an hour or so drive back home listening to one of my fav bands right now, Katchafire, if you love a chilled reggae style you will really enjoy it :)

So back on topic a little with the journal, I have decided, even though i pretty much have everything here to make my own bucket cloner again i still need a few bits and pieces to bring it up to scratch, dome, neoprene inserts, a better sprinkler setup etc. Just seems like wasted $$$ to even bother with so i decided on a Platinum Hydroponics Super Cloner 12, it only has 12 sites but tbh i dont need any more than that, i just need a rock solid cloning system that will get results first time, not wait weeks to see them fail and be back to square 1. My plans from here on out will be no more rockwool! i am over the crap, does more bad than good. Seeds will be grown in soil, clones will be taken from these plants and put in the cloner, when rooted will be moved directly into the netpot filled with clay balls for the DWC, they will then be vegged and flowered in the DWC system.

Now something i wanted to clear up, i have had my terms wrong, I am not supercropping. To me over the last 10 years or so thats what i have called it, crop has always meant cut to me, for example when you crop an image you are cutting out the section of the image you want. I will explain exactly what i did so everyone knows what i did when i mentioned supercropping :rofl: , basically i will leave a branch to grow multiple nodes, basically long enough to take a clone with leaving only 2 nodes on each branch, this then forces 2 new branches to form from these nodes. Its exactly the same thing that happens when you top a plant but being lower on the branch, the branch actually has a lot more strength to it over just topping the top node.

I have a few hours to kill before i can get in and see the girls, could be the start of chop chop tonight :rofl:
Hope everyone has a great day, live life, love life :Namaste:

Today was a good day, headed out for a drive to watch a friend play some music at a pub and caught up after a few years of him living and touring in a band around Sweden. A real nice chilled out afternoon followed by an hour or so drive back home listening to one of my fav bands right now, Katchafire, if you love a chilled reggae style you will really enjoy it :)

So back on topic a little with the journal, I have decided, even though i pretty much have everything here to make my own bucket cloner again i still need a few bits and pieces to bring it up to scratch, dome, neoprene inserts, a better sprinkler setup etc. Just seems like wasted $$$ to even bother with so i decided on a Platinum Hydroponics Super Cloner 12, it only has 12 sites but tbh i dont need any more than that, i just need a rock solid cloning system that will get results first time, not wait weeks to see them fail and be back to square 1. My plans from here on out will be no more rockwool! i am over the crap, does more bad than good. Seeds will be grown in soil, clones will be taken from these plants and put in the cloner, when rooted will be moved directly into the netpot filled with clay balls for the DWC, they will then be vegged and flowered in the DWC system.

Now something i wanted to clear up, i have had my terms wrong, I am not supercropping. To me over the last 10 years or so thats what i have called it, crop has always meant cut to me, for example when you crop an image you are cutting out the section of the image you want. I will explain exactly what i did so everyone knows what i did when i mentioned supercropping :rofl: , basically i will leave a branch to grow multiple nodes, basically long enough to take a clone with leaving only 2 nodes on each branch, this then forces 2 new branches to form from these nodes. Its exactly the same thing that happens when you top a plant but being lower on the branch, the branch actually has a lot more strength to it over just topping the top node.

I have a few hours to kill before i can get in and see the girls, could be the start of chop chop tonight :rofl:
Hope everyone has a great day, live life, love life :Namaste:

I'm so in favor of bucket cloners that I when I went to a new hydro store today, I checked to see if they carried them in case my current cloner ever breaks. $18 available after 11AM every day of the week reassured me :) IMO 12 sites is plenty. If it every gets full it is totally simple to do 2 or 3 in the same neoprene insert. 3 dozen at a time :)

As for your custom cropping, I think it still counts as topping - you are removing the apical meristem. I've only topped an 8-10" cut one time, but the mother plant handled it very well and the top made a very robust clone. Stuck it in the dirt and it grew. The next two 6" tops after the first topping went into the bucket cloner. I grew out one. The second one has been quiety sitting there growing roots for 2 months now - just in case I need her :)

I'm so in favor of bucket cloners that I when I went to a new hydro store today, I checked to see if they carried them in case my current cloner ever breaks. $18 available after 11AM every day of the week reassured me :) IMO 12 sites is plenty. If it every gets full it is totally simple to do 2 or 3 in the same neoprene insert. 3 dozen at a time :)

As for your custom cropping, I think it still counts as topping - you are removing the apical meristem. I've only topped an 8-10" cut one time, but the mother plant handled it very well and the top made a very robust clone. Stuck it in the dirt and it grew. The next two 6" tops after the first topping went into the bucket cloner. I grew out one. The second one has been quiety sitting there growing roots for 2 months now - just in case I need her :)

The way i see it is if i take 12 clones, where am i gonna grow them, looks like i need a new tent :rofl:, now 36... convert my house to a grow room? :rofl:
I can only really see myself taking around 2 clones at a time, the only reason i take so many now is because of my failure rate lol, I think the only time im going to see it full is when i start preparing for next years outdoor season. This year i have not bothered too much outside as i have been more focused on getting this indoor stuff sorted, tbh i was really disappointed with my last indoor grow but that was just beginner jumping in trying too many things at once and lack of research, since then i have spent countless hours studying up haha.
I agree, its pretty much the same as topping, the only difference i have noticed doing it this way is the strength of the plant and also because you take so much of the branch, the plant puts all its power that it would have used on that branch into the new tops which boosts the new growth. But even topping is a term that i had to learn lol, i have always called it tipping.

Back
Top Bottom