First Grow - Bag Seeds - Germinated July 27 2015

Hey, MJ -- that looks great! I really appreciate the unboxing/set up photos. Which brand tent did you buy?

I can see that this growing thing gets addictive :)

Was a promotional item at Mars Hydro. Combo tent and light together. Someone also posted a promotional code and it was like another 2% off. Shipping was very prompt and tent internals are all metal, no plastic. If I can get that other seed to bust out of the soil we'll soon have three plants in there that will grow Christmas tree style. Jim:tokin:

I suspect the cabinet may house seedlings and cuttings in the near future. Just be careful introducing the young ones to that light. It will take them some time to get used to them. Keep it hung high for a while and use the corners of the tent for about a week. Then inch them ever closer to the center of your new sun! Nice rig, enjoy!!!

Oh I feel like a recently graduated Veterinarian who skipped a lot of classes. So the girls don't look healthy. The way I have this figured, it's either an over-abundance of something or a lack of something. If everything was in the right proportions I wouldn't be searching for a cure. Yellowing leaves at bottom with brown blotches and dying.

Plants not getting enough of something and using stored nutrients below and all fan leaves will die with movement up the plants.

Would it be Zinc, Manganese, Phosphorous or Potassium? I found two of those adult gnats on the flypaper and yesterday observed some white spots on soil top. A troubleshooter first pointed to Potassium and what I'm going to do is flush, flush, and more flush with tap water adjusted to 5.90 (because that's what I had).

Allow them to get some light and then flush again later today with a mild nutrient with some CalMag and epsom salt added. I'll attempt to get Ph below 6.0 here as I read that so many times it's just the Ph that's out of whack. I'll probably inspect again real well for the ghats and will decide on more insecticidal soap or Neem oil. Overall, the girls look ok and I recognize that space constraints of the cabinet is not going to allow for up canning and these pots will become root bound. Small root tips were noted at the pot drain holes. It won't be long before I'm seeing a bunch of roots at the bottom. Click thumbs for larger images. Jim

IMG_101817.JPG
IMG_101916.JPG
IMG_102020.JPG
IMG_102117.JPG
IMG_102221.JPG

I vote for bigger pots. I always vote that way though. It's really tough to maintain soil in small pots for any duration. The pros do fine with the perpetual water to runoff and flush routine. My attempt was to go with real big pots and not destroy my soil with too much love. Will be following along and cheering.... Good luck!

First off, I'm on my first grow so I have no clue what I'm saying. It looks like your plants are being overwatered. What is your watering schedule? Make sure your letting your pots dry out to the point your leaves start to wilt. The roots need air just as much as they need water! My reason why I say this is your leaves are curling under. Most of the time that points to overwatering or PH issues. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Another thing, if your interested in staying with soil then check out Doc Buds High Brix Kit. He's here on 420. That's what I'm currently using for my 1st grow and it really takes out all of the guess work that your going thru. Also there is no need to check PH! Simple! I'm three weeks into my grow with an led and everything's going well. For now, keep your seedlings separate from Carol and Mary! I'll be watching!

I use Doc's Kit and also grow in living organic soil. Or should I say plant into LOS because that pot grows the cannabis. I water and flood it with light. It's the most amazing thing to watch and the product improves with every cycle! OK, I'm completely buzzed on Cheese Candy that I just harvested from that soil community, so I'm a bit partial.

Doc's Kit is simplicity in a series of bottles. The plants are amazing and I'm enjoying the journey of discovery the Kit offers and the exploration of the biota it's brought me to. In the end, when my Kit ingredients are used up I won't be surprised if I convert it all into LOS and run a tent of no-tills. Build a load of luscious living soil, toss in some worms and let 'er rip! That first grow was stress free to the extreme.

Sorry Jim, I get carried away with the passion sometimes. I can't really be contained. :laughtwo: Especially when we start talking soil. :battingeyelashes:

Sorry Jim, I get carried away with the passion sometimes. I can't really be contained. :laughtwo: Especially when we start talking soil. :battingeyelashes:

and you know I love your passion. 'Been thinking about soil and have all I need now to do some mixing. Thanks for stopping by and YES...I saw your harvest. Simply outstanding. Jim

Carol - Day 40, Mary - Day 38

I think the girls are looking better but what do I know? Anyway, thanks for suggestions. I didn't add any nutes or supplements. I will allow a couple more days to allow the soil some air. There were at least 2 more gnats found on the fly paper. Soil surface and plants were sprayed with Neem oil. That's it for now.

IMG_103017.JPG
IMG_103213.JPG
IMG_103314.JPG
IMG_103416.JPG
IMG_103530.JPG

The Big Ass Carbon Filter (BACF) is now in the house. Installation was a pain in ass. Jimmy Engineering at its finest.

Some strap material and some nuts & bolts

IMG_103627.JPG

Straps installed

IMG_103928.JPG

Straps different angle

IMG_104030.JPG

BACF

IMG_104128.JPG

I bought a 6' x 1 3/8" steel flat bar. I cut this in half and smoothed and taped edges. Then I fished and bent them around the tent internals and somehow fashioned the two pieces into a ceiling mount. More tape to clean it up and bolted the ends tight. Lock nuts used. It's not going anywhere.

IMG_104227.JPG

So this is the base mount that I had to attach to the inline fan. It will have to be matched up to the ceiling mount. Air flow direction is important fact here.

IMG_104323.JPG

Hold it up with bad arm feed bolt through top and thread nut on with other hand - Houdini style.

IMG_104424.JPG

IMG_104625.JPG

Joints taped and duct attached and out the side. I'll make one more strap to support the duct and clean up all these wires. Function tested and all is ok. I'm glad I bought the variable speed control. Full speed is not necessary.

IMG_104521.JPG

It really was fun doing this. It took me 5 hours but that included 1 trip to Lowe's, 25 minute phone call from my sister and about another 20 minutes for a sandwich. It sure felt good to shower after this adventure. Jim

Update on the girls. Day 41

Environment: Seems ok

IMG_103714.JPG

I didn't even take the girls out and there were no close-ups this morning.

IMG_103829.JPG

About the seedlings that I started this week. Amnesia Haze hasn't yet broken soil. I can't figure this out as all three had 1/10" root when I took them out of the paper towels. So into water goes another AH and another WW and the next grow will just be out of whack by a week if these 2 beans pop. I've got some new soil planned and I'll share that when I start the next journal.

IMG_102823.JPG

I'll pop in and follow along! I'm liking the setup, and nice ingenuity on the BACF mounting!

It looks to me as though your plants could use a little food. They're pulling nutrients from those lower leaves to support the top growth. I saw that you're using 10-10-10 fertilizer, which might work if used correctly, but isn't the best for cannabis. I'd highly recommend getting some proper nutrients to make life easier. You can use hydro or soil nutrients, in liquid or solid form. I tried going organic for my first grow, but I had so many other issues to worry about (pH, temperature, nutrient deficiencies, etc) that I defaulted to a 3-part hydro nute line. They were about $15 per bottle, so for $45, I was able to have MANY successful grows. There are also liquid organic nutes that you could use, just to simplify things. You can find them all online or at a local hydro store (I'd recommend General Hydroponics, General Organics (both 3-part systems) or Dyna-Gro (2-part)) if you want to go that route. Otherwise you can head down to a big box store and get some organic stuff. Fish emulsion and kelp products are good for vegetative growth, or you could even get some Espoma or Jobes fertilizers (something along the lines of "plant-tone" for veg and "flower-tone" for flowering).

You just want something high in nitrogen for vegetative growth (like 5-2-3) and something high in PK for flowering (like 1-5-5). Then you have to make sure you are getting all your trace minerals (many of these products should have a decent amount). You can see why I went the hydro direction now.. It can all get complicated fast.

I'm just trying to help because I can see you're having a bit of a fuss with these plants. I think if you give them what they want, you'll see an explosion in growth. Hopefully you take this all as friendly advice! Keep up the good work!

I'll pop in and follow along! I'm liking the setup, and nice ingenuity on the BACF mounting!

I'm just trying to help because I can see you're having a bit of a fuss with these plants. I think if you give them what they want, you'll see an explosion in growth. Hopefully you take this all as friendly advice! Keep up the good work!

Hi jojo. Thanks for dropping in. I'm also leaning in this direction. Gonna keep these two in the small cabinet and plan to switch nutrients. The cab came with RAW nutes, grow, bloom and cal-mag. When soil is completely dry, they'll get 1/2 strength dose of grow and cal-mag. Probably in 3 days or so.

Tent operations will begin in earnest this week with about 4 seedlings.

Back
Top Bottom