First Time Grower! - Bubba Kush! - Advice Appreciated!

Hey check out Grizzwalds grow journal he's growing a couple Bubba Kush right now as well

Thanks, redmud. Always curious to check out other's Bubba Kush grows.

Both of my tallest plants are wilted. Thought it might've had something to do with the tent. Maybe it's not getting enough fresh air. However, the smallest plants are thriving - possibly because they have room to grow. So I'm guessing the bigger plants are getting root bound. I should've up-potted to 5 gall early on. Bought the pots but decided to monitor rather than up-pot. So, I'm going to up-pot to 5 gall. I'm only a couple days into flower so I believe it'll be OK. Any thoughts otherwise please share.

Thanks.

@vlad-
Any pictures of the wilt problem?
I've been out of commission for a while, but would like to catch up with what's happening.
:goodluck:

@Vlad-
Any pictures of the wilt problem?
I've been out of commission for a while, but would like to catch up with what's happening.
:goodluck:

Great to hear from you, Major. Hope all is well.

I've posted some photos below. I watered them with pH balanced water and Neptunes 2-4-1 yesterday morning when they were wilted. As you'll see in the photos them really jumped back to life! Question now is: should I up-pot or not? They're in 3 gall pots now.

I was watering every other weak. Now they're asking for more water. So it looks like every few days. The tips on new top leaves have a bit of white. This may be a sign of zinc deficiency?

IMG_20160624_071531.jpg
IMG_20160624_071553.jpg
IMG_20160624_071611.jpg
IMG_20160624_071618.jpg
IMG_20160624_071750.jpg

Pix 3 and 4 are showing spotting on leafs in upper left corner. Root bound will spot new growth as well as old growth. Once a week is a bit long for #3's with plants that size. Top new growth is also showing burnt tips. N tox will stunt growth and yellow tips. Looks good now, if spots are dextrose from folar feeding or dust.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Pix 3 and 4 are showing spotting on leafs in upper left corner. Root bound will spot new growth as well as old growth. Once a week is a bit long for #3's with plants that size. Top new growth is also showing burnt tips. N tox will stunt growth and yellow tips. Looks good now, if spots are dextrose from folar feeding or dust.

Cheers

Interesting. Didn't notice the spots until you pointed them out.

How often do you water plants in these conditions during flower? And by water, I take it I shouldn't completely saturate them as I did in veg?

Do you suggest monitoring them for now or should I up-pot to 5 gal?

Well, in flower up potting is a wast of time. No new root growth, all energy on flowers. I've been stuck watering every other day a few times in 3's and 5's by a bigger plant then expected. One gal per month in pot flower + veg. 60 day flower, 21 day veg #3 should work, I only fill #5's, 2/3 full but like round shape it gives plant. If you are going more then 2 days your pot is fine. If I missed my AM watering on day 2 plants were wilted in a few hours. But if your in flower so it's to late. Looking at your pix again it seems your in veg. Pot size is not related to yield for our gardens. Outdoor grows will need very large pots (100's). How tall is your space? 6.8' tent only has about 4' usable space. My first grow I used 10's and outgrew my tent. Girls look great.

Cheers

Well, in flower up potting is a wast of time. No new root growth, all energy on flowers. I've been stuck watering every other day a few times in 3's and 5's by a bigger plant then expected. One gal per month in pot flower + veg. 60 day flower, 21 day veg #3 should work, I only fill #5's, 2/3 full but like round shape it gives plant. If you are going more then 2 days your pot is fine. If I missed my AM watering on day 2 plants were wilted in a few hours. But if your in flower so it's to late. Looking at your pix again it seems your in veg. Pot size is not related to yield for our gardens. Outdoor grows will need very large pots (100's). How tall is your space? 6.8' tent only has about 4' usable space. My first grow I used 10's and outgrew my tent. Girls look great.

Cheers

Thanks, millertim. My tent is 5ft tall. It's only been in flower for three days. Sounds like I should leave them in the 3 gall and water every other day? They need more water during flower for bud production? How often are you feeding nutes?

Subbed vlad... Looking really healthy mate...

Vlad-
IMO when in early-mid flower, the wet/dry cycle is greatly modified from that of veg. I hope I didn't hold them back with the "dry" part, but I just couldn't be here to see what was going on. This is when the plant needs everything it can get. You don't want to drown them by keeping them constantly wet, and I still totally saturate when I water, but you no longer want them to go completely DRY. I don't know how many days since I don't use your size pots or your soil, but don't let them wilt. I typically water every 2-4 days at this point. They drink a lot at this stage. The wet/bone dry cycles are for early veg. The roots are fully developed now (or should be), and have been for some time. I bet you have a feel for when they will need a drink by now.
Looking good man!! + Reps to ya.

-edit-
I agree, it is too late for an up-pot to help much, if any. The root ball that is there now won't spread out much at this point.

Thanks, millertim. My tent is 5ft tall. It's only been in flower for three days. Sounds like I should leave them in the 3 gall and water every other day? They need more water during flower for bud production? How often are you feeding nutes?
I'll feed every watering, but my ec is only 650 to 700 all through flower. It depends on plant but I like every third day or a 3 then 4 so twice a week. But I've had to feed every other day a few times. It took a few grows to dial my feeding, I would not recommend it to new growers. Use your feeding schedule but start at half strength to get a feel for your ferts. I use a hydro style grow and water to 20% runoff. This way I flush all old nutes out and can meter current nute usage. The way I look at nutes is only to keep spots off leafs. Food for growth comes from light energy only. Ferts keep leafs clean and correct color, nothing more (not really but use as frame of mind). While plants can tolerate more nutes then needed, if you learn how and when to set up flower nutes and then bloom building nutes then overdrive nutes, in small amounts at right time is key for yields.

Cheers

Vlad-
IMO when in early-mid flower, the wet/dry cycle is greatly modified from that of veg. I hope I didn't hold them back with the "dry" part, but I just couldn't be here to see what was going on. This is when the plant needs everything it can get. You don't want to drown them by keeping them constantly wet, and I still totally saturate when I water, but you no longer want them to go completely DRY. I don't know how many days since I don't use your size pots or your soil, but don't let them wilt. I typically water every 2-4 days at this point. They drink a lot at this stage. The wet/bone dry cycles are for early veg. The roots are fully developed now (or should be), and have been for some time. I bet you have a feel for when they will need a drink by now.
Looking good man!! + Reps to ya.

-edit-
I agree, it is too late for an up-pot to help much, if any. The root ball that is there now won't spread out much at this point.

Thanks, Major! As always, super-helpful information.

I'll feed every watering, but my ec is only 650 to 700 all through flower. It depends on plant but I like every third day or a 3 then 4 so twice a week. But I've had to feed every other day a few times. It took a few grows to dial my feeding, I would not recommend it to new growers. Use your feeding schedule but start at half strength to get a feel for your ferts. I use a hydro style grow and water to 20% runoff. This way I flush all old nutes out and can meter current nute usage. The way I look at nutes is only to keep spots off leafs. Food for growth comes from light energy only. Ferts keep leafs clean and correct color, nothing more (not really but use as frame of mind). While plants can tolerate more nutes then needed, if you learn how and when to set up flower nutes and then bloom building nutes then overdrive nutes, in small amounts at right time is key for yields.

Cheers

Got it, millertm! Thanks, my friend. Slowly learning the science here. Much appreciated!

New Problem - PLEASE ADVISE!!!

I had the bright idea to LST a couple plants. Left the biggest one alone - she was too tough. Second largest in line had a bit of play so I bent it over and started to tie it...Then I heard a SNAP! Take a look at the photo below. It didn't tear completely off, but it did partially rip the largest branch that connects to the main stem. For now we tied it back together. Any thoughts on what will happen or what we should do? Thanks!

IMG_20160625_103733_1_.jpg

Pinch it back together and wrap it snugly with tape. I use electrical tape but anything strong enough works.
I had a large branch on one of mine break from wind. After the repair, it didn't miss a beat.

What he said. Wood glue works well for gauges or bark tears.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom