First Time Grower! - Bubba Kush! - Advice Appreciated!

Coming up on 6th week of flower.

Please let me know your steps for the last weeks of flower. I've read numerous conflicting opinions but all of your thoughts have been most helpful.

You'll notice yellowing. I hear this is normal as the flowers are pulling N from the leaves. Should I let the leaves die themselves or should I pull them off?

The two tallest plants...One has bigger nugs. The other smaller and sparse nugglets - I broke this main stem at start of flower so maybe it stunted it's growth.

The two smaller plants are looking much more mature as they have a lot of red hairs. Bubba is supposed to harvest at the 8th week. Is it possible the smaller plants are ready sooner? I don't want to cut them too early or late. I hear this screws with the THC content. Thoughts on early and late harvest? How do I harvest at the best time?

I do have an LED microscope. Finding it hard to focus on the nugs.

I have no idea how much I may yield. I know it's hard to estimate from photos but if anyone has thoughts they are appreciated. I'm guessing 2 zips at best?

Two tallest:

20160729_080207.jpg
20160729_080222.jpg

20160729_080215.jpg

Shorties:

20160729_080236.jpg
20160729_080246.jpg
20160729_080259.jpg
IMG_20160719_193332.jpg

As always, THANKS.

I did find a 6 to 4 duct reducer on Amazon. The main issue with the 6" inline fan was the carbon filter; it was super-heavy and I feared it would fall on my plants. My plan is to check the plants and temps daily, and water as needed. If temps become a problem I may try the 6 to 4 reducer, and hook my 6" fan into the 4" carbon filter. I returned the 6" filter but kept the 6" fan.
Late to party, Major is spot on for CFL,T5, HID. But LED'S run about 10 deg higher, 85° is sweet spot for LED grows, you not as far off as you thought. Plants look to good if over heated for 7 days.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Late to party, Major is spot on for CFL,T5, HID. But LED'S run about 10 deg higher, 85° is sweet spot for LED grows, you not as far off as you thought. Plants look to good if over heated for 7 days.

Cheers

Thanks, millertm. Good to hear (85° is sweet spot for LED grows); especially since I've tried everything to bring the temps down a bit. Nearly impossible since it's been 90 plus outside. But I did upgrade to the 6" fan with reducer. It's moving air around better but it's still 80-85 and my plants are still alive and kicking.

RTK, ICE, Sue, ect all run at or around 85° with stellar results. I'm not sure about the science behind it but it's most likely due to lack of green and yellow light.

Cheers

Looking good, VP! :thumb:
As to how much you will get, it is really hard for me to tell from the pic's. You have 6 plants, right? I'm guessing you're at about 3 zips but they could bulk up quite a bit more.
Yellow fans are common in mid-late bloom. I try to keep 'P' and 'K' up, and 'N' a little lower. For their final watering, I give them plain water.

Looking good, VP! :thumb:
As to how much you will get, it is really hard for me to tell from the pic's. You have 6 plants, right? I'm guessing you're at about 3 zips but they could bulk up quite a bit more.
Yellow fans are common in mid-late bloom. I try to keep 'P' and 'K' up, and 'N' a little lower. For their final watering, I give them plain water.

Thanks, Major! I don't think we'd see any plants alive if it wasn't for your comments along the way.

Four plants total. Do you think I should Defoliate the plants for the last two weeks to allow more light to the bottom buds?

I Just learned from an old grower that if your plants have a high leaf to bud ratio to cut back on the N if you can maybe cut it a bit and let those leaves yellow some more. He said if the nitrogen is there they will keep growing leaves and to increase bud size increase P and K.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Do you think I should Defoliate the plants for the last two weeks to allow more light to the bottom buds?

Only if they are directly blocking a bud, or if they are well on their way out anyway (yellow). The plant will pull 'N' from them and use them for photosynthesis, so I leave them otherwise.

Thanks, Major and redmud!

Any suggestions for late-bloom nutes? You both recommend low N. And higher p an k. Read a bit about pk 13/14. Seems strong though. Don't want any burn.

I have to admit, I've lost track of what you've been using recently. Is it still the 3-4-4 (?) stuff in the bag from early on?
I still give 'N', just not as much. 13/14 could be fine, you just use less of it. I shoot for something like 3-4-7 at 800 ppm.

It is difficult to tell as much as I'd like under the burple LEDs in you photos. They look like they have plenty of 'N' right now - probably too much at this point. How much longer do you think they will go?

I have to admit, I've lost track of what you've been using recently. Is it still the 3-4-4 (?) stuff in the bag from early on?
I still give 'N', just not as much. 13/14 could be fine, you just use less of it. I shoot for something like 3-4-7 at 800 ppm.

It is difficult to tell as much as I'd like under the burple LEDs in you photos. They look like they have plenty of 'N' right now - probably too much at this point. How much longer do you think they will go?

Using Neptune's 2-4-1. On week six. Have 2-3 more weeks to go.. The purple does distort. They are a deep green color.

Using Neptune's 2-4-1. On week six. Have 2-3 more weeks to go.. The purple does distort. They are a deep green color.

The 2-4-1 sounds fine if you boot that last 'K' number a little. If you have some hardwood ash, it will add the 'K' component, but you won't know exactly how much. Otherwise you could grab some bottled 'K'. In addition to the 'K' ion, most of these will also provide something else you may or may not want, like chlorine, sulfur, etc. Gen Hydro makes "Bloom" with 0-5-4 and Gro with 2-1-6.

The 2-4-1 sounds fine if you boot that last 'K' number a little. If you have some hardwood ash, it will add the 'K' component, but you won't know exactly how much. Otherwise you could grab some bottled 'K'. In addition to the 'K' ion, most of these will also provide something else you may or may not want, like chlorine, sulfur, etc. Gen Hydro makes "Bloom" with 0-5-4 and Gro with 2-1-6.

Hardwood ash. Interesting! The genhydro bloom sounds good. I'll pick some up. Thanks again, Major!

Ash is great for 'K' and also has Ca in it. However it can raise the PH of your grow medium.

Decided to wait a full 9 weeks to harvest even though the trichomes are looking cloudy. Have to say patience seems to be paying off. Today is day 60 and the buds are even looking fuller, so I'm glad I didn't harvest at 8 weeks.

I'll post picks soon. Harvest in a few days. Yield won't be huge, but I'm grateful to pull anything considering the stress I put the plants through early on. Learned a lot on this first run and I plan on doubling the next yield with the knowledge I'm gaining.

You can wait till you see starting of ambers before you harvest, worth it..,

Wow,wow wow ok I just read through this whole journal seems like you had a hard start.

You ll get the hang of it.
I like my grows simple.
1 nute stimulater
1 organic veg nute
1organic flowering nute
Some pots
Good organic soil
And tap water
That's it plus the light and tent.

You'll learn with time and mistakes are lessons.

I'll stick around to see the harvest.

Sent from my SM-G901F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I use Cha Ching for late flower. Just started that phase in my grow last night.

Wow,wow wow ok I just read through this whole journal seems like you had a hard start.

You ll get the hang of it.
I like my grows simple.
1 nute stimulater
1 organic veg nute
1organic flowering nute
Some pots
Good organic soil
And tap water
That's it plus the light and tent.

You'll learn with time and mistakes are lessons.

I'll stick around to see the harvest.

Sent from my SM-G901F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks, ewilan947. And good to hear from you. I like the simplicity of your suggestion. I'll take your advice and get one for each stage next time.

Back
Top Bottom