First try

Remember what I said about reading a grow book?
You obviously didn't, or you would have read 1 PLANT PER CONTAINER.
Your plants are too close together, and the container they're growing in is way too shallow.
And your real problem will occur when you cull the males. Their roots will entertwine. Rip them up and other plants will die. Cut the males off at soil level and the rotting roots will screw up your other plants.

RangerDanger said:
Remember what I said about reading a grow book?
You obviously didn't, or you would have read 1 PLANT PER CONTAINER.
Your plants are too close together, and the container they're growing in is way too shallow.
And your real problem will occur when you cull the males. Their roots will entertwine. Rip them up and other plants will die. Cut the males off at soil level and the rotting roots will screw up your other plants.

That's a good point... But doesn't apply all the time.. I for example got 100% female seeds..
CIMG35811.JPG

You don't plan on flowering in that same cabinet do you?? It looks like you barely have enough room to flower 1 or 2 at the most in that grow space, what are you going to do if you get mostly females? I made the mistake of not having enough room on my first plant and ended up burning some of it because of how close it got to the lights.

RJD2M86 said:
You don't plan on flowering in that same cabinet do you?? It looks like you barely have enough room to flower 1 or 2 at the most in that grow space, what are you going to do if you get mostly females? I made the mistake of not having enough room on my first plant and ended up burning some of it because of how close it got to the lights.

If you would have pinched off all of those big leaves during the grow, you could have doubled your yield in half the space.. My Phototron boasts that you can have up to 6 plants in not much more space then he has in that cabinet..

Since I started pinching leaves, the growth of the plant has changed directions, since plant production isn't sent towards the useless big leaves what it has been doing is sprouting new lateral shoots from other spots in tight to the main stem, creating budding sites like crazy.. The plants are only about 14" tall right now, and on the biggest I counted already about 40 budding sites.

The plants may look a little funny as they are skinny and getting tall, but the yield.. OMFG I can't wait..

actually i plan on keeping the plants quiet small and not expecting much of a yeild if you read the start of this line. and im goin to use ppp's pinch method, unfortunatly i dont have all female seeds but plan on using one female to continue and have all females, this is an experemental grow again if you read the begining. as for getting rid of the males i have set plastic inbetween each plant so that i may pull the plants not needed out and they are bag seeds and im probably looking at 2 females, if needed i have another cabnet just below which may be transformed into another box, all the while im goin to be building another grow box so that i can have a more perm grow. but for now im just hoping to get a female and get 3 clones and thats when im goin to start trying to grow some heavy yeilds. and id like to get some feminized seeds posibly when i go to van this summer. thanks for the tips yall though.

rds_sk8er420 said:
actually i plan on keeping the plants quiet small and not expecting much of a yeild if you read the start of this line. and im goin to use ppp's pinch method, unfortunatly i dont have all female seeds but plan on using one female to continue and have all females, this is an experemental grow again if you read the begining. as for getting rid of the males i have set plastic inbetween each plant so that i may pull the plants not needed out and they are bag seeds and im probably looking at 2 females, if needed i have another cabnet just below which may be transformed into another box, all the while im goin to be building another grow box so that i can have a more perm grow. but for now im just hoping to get a female and get 3 clones and thats when im goin to start trying to grow some heavy yeilds. and id like to get some feminized seeds posibly when i go to van this summer. thanks for the tips yall though.

I ordered my seeds online from one of the advertisers on this site.. They came within a week, no problems... If you take a look at the first page of my grow journal, there is a link to the site I got them from. Highly recommended.

If you use the pinch method, your yields probably wont be small! Good luck bro!

Plant growth in the phototron is a function of leaf removal called pinching and lateral shoot cutting called pruning. The greater the leaf removal or lateral shoot cutting, the longer it will take your plants to reach the top of the system. If pruning and pinching instructions are followed exactly, one plant may produce over 1000 (!!!) budding sites. If plants are allowed to grow without any pinching or pruning, you plants will reach the top of the system in less than 45 days, with an average of 3-inch internodel lengths. This type will have less budding sites. How many less? HUNDREDS LESS!

Remove all leaves from the main stem as they reach four inches in length. This leaf removal is referred to as pinching. Use a pair of scissors to do the cutting of the leaf stem at mid point.
diag11.JPG

Remove all leaves from the lateral shoots as they reach 3 inches in length. This leaf removal is also called pinching. As with the leaves from the main stem, cut the leaves at mid point.

diag21.JPG

The term Lateral shoot and branch are interchangable. As a primary lateral shoot starts to grow out from the main stem, allow this branch to form the first node with the first 2 leaves beginning to open up. The branch should be allowed to grow 1/4" beyond the first node. Cut the branch halfway between the node and the terminal bud. A terminal bud is the leafset that is beginning to open up at the end.

diag31.JPG

You will have secondary lateral shoots develop from the first node. As the secondary lateral shoots develop, prune them by removing each shoots terminal bud after every other node. This is accomplished by allowing the shoots to grow 1/4 " past the second node then removing the terminal bud of the secondary shoot. Always cut as far away from the node as possible to prevent the stripping of branching sites.

diag41.JPG

Hope this helps.. Afterwards your plants will look like a whack attack has occurred, but I am told by my friend who has 6 of these units that the results are amazing.. With each whack attack, the plants energy is redirected into creating new lateral shoots, which later become budding sites or so I am told. I actually kinda panicked after my first whack attack because my plants looked so fucked up. I called my friend who chucked and told me to take a valium and check them the next day. Sure enough within about 24-36 hours, every where I had whacked, new shoots were forming.. Each new shoot is a budding site, so figure every whack is a bud.

lol helps alot actually, when should i start this method?
DSCF00161.JPG

thats the 5th deck of fan leaves being pushed out the top and they're actually starting to grow a little larger then that pic now, and i can see the six deck starting to grow out.

As soon as the first set of leaves from the main branches reach 4" in length according to "the bible".. That being from the tip of the middle of the 5 leaves to the back of the leaf, not including the stem as described above in the first diagram. As they grow upward, when they reach the desired height, cut the top of the plant off, basically decapitating it. This channels all the plants engergies to the lateral shoots which will then fill out..

PuffPuffPass said:
As soon as the first set of leaves from the main branches reach 4" in length according to "the bible".. That being from the tip of the middle of the 5 leaves to the back of the leaf, not including the stem as described above in the first diagram. As they grow upward, when they reach the desired height, cut the top of the plant off, basically decapitating it. This channels all the plants engergies to the lateral shoots which will then fill out..

Don't start hacking to soon.. make sure the leaves are 4" minimum before you start wacking them off.. That's 4 inches from the tip of the middle leaf to the base of the leaf. DO NOT INCLUDE THE STEM from the leaf in the measurements. But yes, within about 24-48 hours you will see new growth from around the base of the branch(es) cut..

well my plants are making the 7th deck now the 5th has grown larger and the 6th has already begun to seperate from the middle bush and the little bush in the middle is the 7th. crazy considering when i turned my lights on yesterday i was waiting for the 5th to make its way out of the middle and when i turned em off its working on the 7th!, now im waiting for lights on to see what night has brought me.

as for the hack job puff puff i did it on a test plant so im not worried, but atleast i'll know if i did it right and if it works this early, if not ohwell i got 6 others that are doin fine.

also i was thinking about starting flowering on day 22 (i start day 18 in 3 1/2hrs and they are a half foot in hight now) any input if this is a bad idea? dont forget guys im not looking to max the yeild im just doin a test grow to get my feet wet.although im not looking to grow only 3.5 grams lol.

well im getting yellow leaves on the bottom of atleast 3 plants.
any input guys? on the yellow leafs? should i not worry or go out and get that organic fish stuff thas 5-1-1 and use it today? i have to water soon so any input would be great.

Yup, now would be a good time to give them a 1/4 strength feeding of fishy-fertz..

If they like it move up to 1/2 strength, then full...

Peace
MC

well they seem to love it, they're growing larger day by day and nice and green. im thinking on day 25 id like to go to flower to get rid of the males. then go back to veg and clip 2 clones. also im thinking abuot ordering some seeds from dr.chronic the strain super silver haze feminised or hawaiian snow feminised, i was thinking about growing one plant and it could have my whole closet to itself.

well guys day 23 and they seem to have grown probably an inch over night there almost too the lights ,and i raised my lights in the middle of day 22, its crazy!. one question though should i start feeding the plants the 10-15-10 now continue with the 5-1-1 or should i start feeding them just water?

ASWELL AS what would i look for to sex them if i were lookin at it with a magnafying glass?

Back
Top Bottom