Growing Without Bloom Nutes By Farside05

They've had 2 feedings of v4 now. They put on another 4" since the last feeding. Signs of any deficiencies have subsided. Maybe the thing is to feed them v4 during veg and switch to v3 at the flip. That would help minimize ppm build up in the pro-mix since the Gro Buckets aren't easy to rinse/flush. Just a thought. We'll see how this plays out. BTW, I didn't do any LST on these girls. They've maintained a level canopy and filled the space with nothing more than a topping.

Now

Previous feeding for comparison

In my opinion, FN Fertilizer v3 seemed too strong, and v4 too weak, at least in bloom. Came up with a formulation for v5 but went to make it today and didn't have enough Calcium Nitrate or Potassium Nitrate to pull it off. Had to order more supplies. Version 5 uses the Micro recipe from v4, FN Silica, and just adjusts the Part A. And Part B. So the idea moving forward is to use up the v4 I have during veg, and switch to v5 during bloom. v5 looks about like this.

125ppm N
30ppm P
150ppm K
90ppm Ca
30ppm Mg
50ppm S

The needed salts came in today just in time for a feeding. Made up some FN v5™ and they got their first feed of it. Still searching for the Holy Grail of nutes that gets me to the perfect finish. I've got veg and early bloom down cold, but I'm still not happy with the last 3-4 weeks of bloom. If I ever do get it perfect, growing is going to become very boring.

The needed salts came in today just in time for a feeding. Made up some FN v5™ and they got their first feed of it. Still searching for the Holy Grail of nutes that gets me to the perfect finish. I've got veg and early bloom down cold, but I'm still not happy with the last 3-4 weeks of bloom. If I ever do get it perfect, growing is going to become very boring.

Flawless!
:bravo:

Hello Farside ! Saw your revised numbers earlier for V5, what's your ratio of nitrate/ammoniacal ? We've had pretty good luck running the RO version you provided last year, with a few tweaks. We now run all SIPs and have switched to MSA for the silica source and created a Texas Special K to replace the lost potassium when we dropped out the FN silica.

Seems to keep the SIP reservoir pH more in line. With the massive set of roots down at the air gap, we seem to run out of buffer before we finish the run.

Always appreciated your help !

Hello Farside ! Saw your revised numbers earlier for V5, what's your ratio of nitrate/ammoniacal ? We've had pretty good luck running the RO version you provided last year, with a few tweaks. We now run all SIPs and have switched to MSA for the silica source and created a Texas Special K to replace the lost potassium when we dropped out the FN silica.

Seems to keep the SIP reservoir pH more in line. With the massive set of roots down at the air gap, we seem to run out of buffer before we finish the run.

I believe it's about 20% Ammoniacal. I'm turning in for the night and won't fire up the laptop that has the formula until the AM. I'll confirm it then. I'm using tap with an average 150-175ppm? What is your water source?

I believe it's about 20% Ammoniacal. I'm turning in for the night and won't fire up the laptop that has the formula until the AM. I'll confirm it then. I'm using tap with an average 150-175ppm? What is your water source?
No rush ! Its RO water. About 10 ppm. Our well water is extremely hard, so we strip it with an RO system. With the low alkalinity after the RO system we were shooting for 10 to 15 percent ammoniacal.

Here's the resulting PPM of each element for v5. It's 16.6% Ammoniacal to Total Nitrogen.

They'll get their second dose of it tonight. In the traditional sense, some may say it's more of a Bloom food vs v4. N is cut 25 points, K increases 50, and Ca goes up 30. Still a far cry from some of the 3-12-6 type formulas out there.

Day 56

FN v5™ passed the first test. Been a couple days since the last feed and they're still alive. Not to say I've ever had anything die after just 1 feeding. Tonight they got their second taste of the latest formula. I need to take them out and clean up the bottoms this weekend when I'm off.

Here's the resulting PPM of each element for v5. It's 16.6% Ammoniacal to Total Nitrogen.

They'll get their second dose of it tonight. In the traditional sense, some may say it's more of a Bloom food vs v4. N is cut 25 points, K increases 50, and Ca goes up 30. Still a far cry from some of the 3-12-6 type formulas out there.

That is much lower on nitrogen than your other versions. Are you planning to use it from sprout or switch to ver 5 when you get into flower ?

Our current recipe is below, sans the silica. Were adding 4 mil of Stout MSA per gallon per the label. Not sure how much available silica it equate.

Your grow is looking great !
FNRo nov 2023.JPG

FNRo nov 2023.JPG

Are you planning to use it from sprout or switch to ver 5 when you get into flower
The current thinking is v4 for Veg and v5 for Bloom. That gives me the least amount of waste considering all the bottles on my shelves.

Who doesn't like airflow through the undercarriage? :welldone:

As Bert Kreischer would say, "Sometimes you gotta let your shit breathe."

Back
Top Bottom