Help, Danger Will Robinson?

Zimbo 63

Hi all

I think I screwed up - big time.
I wanted to do some oil extractions, and having done them before with alcohol, I purchased 99.6% denatured alcohol. I know that stuff is added, to make it undrinkable, but I'm not drinking it.

My science theory says that if it is completely evaporated i.e. left to stand and then baked at 160+ Celsius, that the added 0.4% is probably also gone. I'm not sure what was added to denature it, but it's often methanol which would also evaporate to almost nothing...

A friend said that I shouldn't do this so I need to check, cause it's already done....

Any one any experience?

Have never made any kind of extract yet but I am considering trying an alcohol extract with 195 proof Everclear which was recommended to use in the article that I had read on it. I am blessed with good health and would never want to make anything that would have the potential to jeopardize it.

All denatured alcohol is not the same, denatured alcohol can have various different chemicals added to it, to make it non-palatable, some of the things used to denature alcohol are ,methanol, benzene, pyridine, castor oil, gasoline, isopropyl alcohol, and acetone. Nothing is added to methanol to make it toxic, it's toxic to humans all on their own. When methanol is broken down in the body it becomes formaldehyde, formic acid and formate, those are toxic. Without knowing what that .4% is, I'd be wary, you'd probably be fine, but???? You're much better off (safer) using Everclear.

True that….. most everything we’ve read states AVOID consuming concoctions washed with iso bcuz of those nasty residual chemicals

Yep food grade alcohol at least 151 proof but higher grain 190 strips trichs even better. It’s easier to decarb on front side, less waste on back side…. in my opinion.

I would stick with Ever Clear (if available in your state.
That can be a problem, I looked all over for the 190 proof, but in my state (and the surrounding states) you can only get 151 proof, it works, but takes longer to get the water out. If there is a chemical supply house near, you can get pure grain alcohol, that's the best you can do.

Mmm Robinson !

Basically we are looking at ethanol :green_heart:

In your own endeavours I would suggest using words like these in your search function.

food-grade Ethanol products, (Food Grade Alcohol), Organic extraction alcohol is 190 Proof Certified Organic Natural Cane Alcohol

etc, etc, etc

190-proof is related 95% because at that concentration, the vapor has the same ratio of water to alcohol as the liquid, a phenomenon known as azeotropy aka a boiling point in basic's.

Enjoy - W Robinson

Best case it will taste bad, and harsh, worst case it will be hazardous.

That 4% can be a variety of things but two things are required. It must be unconsumable to people and it can not be able to distilled out. If you can't remove it through distillation, than you defiantly can not evaporate it out. All you will do is concentrate that 4% of nasty into your extract.

If you can't get pure grain alcohol I would go with butane extraction or bubble bags. Don't use any old butane, it has to be pure as well. Bubble bags will gather the trics into hash that can be mixed with oil if tincture is your goal.

loads of folk use iso here. i don't like it but it's what is available.

high proof alcohols here are strictly controlled and require a special license to buy. i used to sell it to livestock farms for use in sterilizing. a local distiller was making a neutral grain spirit in the correct proof specific for extract, but he got shut down.

iso is different from denatured. while iso isn't dangerous it does impart a poor flavour. denatured has different structure and does carry low levels of poisons.

Make sure she can wash first though if you go bubble. You can totally wash everything down the drain if she got small heads...I've had 4% FF runs before I knew what I was doing and that SUCKS.
I posted another thread, I mistook 73 for 25 and used the wrong bag for the first two washes brfore I realised.

Whole crop D.t.T.

Thanks all for your responses, let's just say, that I live in a place where there are not a lot of options.

Bubble Hash it is.

I posted another thread, I mistook 73 for 25 and used the wrong bag for the first two washes brfore I realised.

Whole crop D.t.T.

let me be the first to say dammit ... :p

if i had an ounce for every time i fucked up i wouldn't have to grow for a couple yrs

let me be the first to say dammit ... :p
Thanks for your kind words and empathy, but in this case, I think I said it first!!!:rofl:

Thanks for your kind words and empathy, but in this case, I think I said it first!

uuuhhh, technically maybe not.
i believe the judges would rule yours was much more loudly pronounced, and preceded by a god .. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Is the oil squeezed with a press..basically the same as oil from my Source Turbo?
I keep wondering about this..they call it Resin/Rosen….but for the life of me I struggle trying to figure the actual difference . Can anyone come up with an answer.

Is the oil squeezed with a press..basically the same as oil from my Source Turbo?
I keep wondering about this..they call it Resin/Rosen….but for the life of me I struggle trying to figure the actual difference . Can anyone come up with an answer.
With resin they use some sort of solvent to extract like butane. Rosin is a solventless extraction process using heat and pressure.
PS. Rosin is usually made from bubble hash but you can just squish buds

Actually I know how to press and extract using alcohol…my question is the difference between the two products…not the procedure

Back
Top Bottom