InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Thanks guys. I misstated my question. I meant to ask if all hazes require a short "veg" period. I'm slipping -- no sliding -- into the "old fool" zone! :Rasta:
Let me make a recommendation on hazes or sativas if I may. I always hear the talk about starting them under 12/12 or doing short veg times. What people are really trying to do is keep the plant at a manageable size. I take a different approach. Think of sativas differently...you want to get them to the point that they are ready to be flowered out (meaning sexually mature) while keeping them small. Growing them under 12/12 won't impact that very much if you have the plants in a container where they can on the large size.

Growing from 12/12 won't do that alone. I find keeping them in small pots early on is key.....you gotta get the plant to that sexually mature stage in as a small of a footprint as your setup will allow. I try to keep my sativas in solo cups for 30 days before going to a half gallon pot. I will give the plant another 20-30 in that container and that will usually get me a plant that is close to 55-60 days old, and its still VERY manageable to deal with. This would be when I would consider up potting to my final container and flipping.

Also, wait until you see alternating nodes before you flip a long flowering sativa. I have a cut from a plant my neighbor grew this season. They vacation to islands all the time and two years ago they went to Grenada. They scored some weed down there and it was seeded with local seeds. I saw the plant growing outdoors at their place this year and asked them about it cause it was 9 feet tall when all their other stuff was 4 feet tall and it has the longest slenderest finger leaves I have ever seen. I Knew instantly it was probably a local landrace sativa from down there the way it was growing. They said it was from Grenada, and instantly my mind went to the Panama strains.

I took the cut of it in October and I still have it in a solo cup as of right now. I know its going to be a monster and have a long flowering time....so I im keeping it as small as possible until I'm ready to flip her.

Let me make a recommendation on hazes or sativas if I may. I always hear the talk about starting them under 12/12 or doing short veg times. What people are really trying to do is keep the plant at a manageable size. I take a different approach. Think of sativas differently...you want to get them to the point that they are ready to be flowered out (meaning sexually mature) while keeping them small. Growing them under 12/12 won't impact that very much if you have the plants in a container where they can on the large size.

Growing from 12/12 won't do that alone. I find keeping them in small pots early on is key.....you gotta get the plant to that sexually mature stage in as a small of a footprint as your setup will allow. I try to keep my sativas in solo cups for 30 days before going to a half gallon pot. I will give the plant another 20-30 in that container and that will usually get me a plant that is close to 55-60 days old, and its still VERY manageable to deal with. This would be when I would consider up potting to my final container and flipping.

Also, wait until you see alternating nodes before you flip a long flowering sativa. I have a cut from a plant my neighbor grew this season. They vacation to islands all the time and two years ago they went to Grenada. They scored some weed down there and it was seeded with local seeds. I saw the plant growing outdoors at their place this year and asked them about it cause it was 9 feet tall when all their other stuff was 4 feet tall and it has the longest slenderest finger leaves I have ever seen. I Knew instantly it was probably a local landrace sativa from down there the way it was growing. They said it was from Grenada, and instantly my mind went to the Panama strains.

I took the cut of it in October and I still have it in a solo cup as of right now. I know its going to be a monster and have a long flowering time....so I im keeping it as small as possible until I'm ready to flip her.
Thanks, @Van Stank. That all makes perfect sense to me! Can't wait to try it. :Rasta:

Thanks Van!

keeping them in small pots early on is key.....you gotta get the plant to that sexually mature stage in as a small of a footprint as your setup will allow
:thumb: That part! @Graytail takes this approach with great success as well. And I’ve been working towards doing it more fully so it’s good to hear you can get more veg time the way you describe.

Interestingly I recently grew a Panama- 16hrs of light in a tiny pot for 4weeks and then into a 3gal under 12/12. It was untopped. It started flowering before it had alternating nodes - which really surprised me!

:thumb: im happy you’re noticing the magic of living soil!! It’s something - there’s a look to my plants in good living soil that doesn’t happen in other circumstances, organic or not. I’m bummed I get the GF nutes here in Aus (it’s a bio product so not possiblefor GF to send here). If I could I would switch to it as system in heartbeat! :love: It seems a stellar achievement in grow tec
This is my first attempt at any type of living soil. I can see white fuzz on the soil and that instantly makes me smile.
That's a good thing , right!?!? ;)
It's cool to see it in action.
I'm so looking forward to flower.
I have to decide when to flip her but
I'll leave that debate for my journal.
I may need some back and forth and don't want to take up Shed's space.

:thumb: That part! @Graytail takes this approach with great success as well. And I’ve been working towards doing it more fully so it’s good to hear you can get more veg time the way you describe.

Interestingly I recently grew a Panama- 16hrs of light in a tiny pot for 4weeks and then into a 3gal under 12/12. It was untopped. It started flowering before it had alternating nodes - which really surprised me!
I always say equatorial sativas kinda play by their own rules. We are growing them in different conditions in most cases than they ever saw in their natural state of evolution. Don't be surprised if and when they do something not normal. Those regions never see 14 or 15 hours of light in a day, let alone 18. Most grew for long periods in rather mild native soils to that region and now we are growing them in really rich soils or pumping them with salt based nutes. They are fickle but so worth the hassle in my opinion.

I may need some back and forth and don't want to take up Shed's space.
Not only don't I mind when you post here, I really enjoy your poetic use of the enter key.
I always say equatorial sativas kinda play by their own rules. We are growing them in different conditions in most cases than they ever saw in their natural state of evolution. Don't be surprised if and when they do something not normal. Those regions never see 14 or 15 hours of light in a day, let alone 18. Most grew for long periods in rather mild native soils to that region and now we are growing them in really rich soils or pumping them with salt based nutes. They are fickle but so worth the hassle in my opinion.
Good point! We try to make plants grow in completely different ways from their genetic programming.

Now, let's do the Candida GA3 spray update on flip day 28...the first of two updates today!

60 ppm:

60 ppm:

60 ppm:

72ppm:

72ppm:

72ppm:

72ppm:

90ppm:

90ppm:

90ppm:

90ppm:

90ppm:

90ppm:

It's hard to tell, but all of the true flowering parts are at the ends of the tallest thinnest branches, where the stretch is most pronounced and the sap flow is weakest. Doesn't lead me to think I'll be getting any large amount of pollen if I get any.

Either way, on Sunday night I'll flip the first of the three Candidas I reserved for flowering per @The Celt's recommendation and then another one the following Sunday. We'll see!

Second update in a couple of hours... :slide:

:ciao: Hi! I found this today while hunting for other stuff. I’ve been a little stoned for a while now....so, sorry for the dolt question coming up....what are you trying to make with grain alcohol and can the MBM help? :hmmmm:
Thanks Boo! That's okay if you don't mind a shit ton of plant waxes, fats, and chlorophyll in with your extract, which doesn't really matter with tincture or edibles. I'm looking for something vapeable, and ideally there is none of the plant and all of the cannabinoids in the final product. MB isn't the best method for that.

Okay, time for an update on the QWET-to-cart project.

Back in the fall, I began to try to come up with a way to keep my family from spending money on vape cartridges (carts) when there are jars and jars of buds sitting around the house and shed. Also, the sound of coughing after hitting bongs, pipes, and joints became more and more disconcerting in these covid times!

My idea was to make QWET (quick wash with ethanol...a process well-described here by Grandpa Tokin) and load it into carts that can be used with battery powered vapes. With some advice from Derby on distilling the lower proof alcohol that I can buy here in California, I bought an electric alcohol distiller (that just arrived) and began looking into finding carts that I could fill with what I make.

Enter Ispire, a vape company that recently became a sponsor here ( @GetIspire ) and can be found on the web at GetIspire.com. Their Ducore Palm got a good review by Mr. Krip on the main page here, and they had given a few samples away to members, including @StoneOtter, who was working toward a similar process. I reached out to Ispire and they responded generously!

Welcome to the unboxing of my goodies. This is what was in the box, all laid out in my courtyard:

That's four palm-sized batteries, four 11mm carts, four 13.5mm carts, four magnetic adapters for those batteries, charging cords, a two-pocket zippered pouch with a strap, and a large over-the-shoulder bag...both made from hemp of course!

Also, there was a cool black box with a magnetic closure. Shall we open it?

Whoa, more stuff and a video that plays on the screen as soon as you lift the lid! :eek: The video describes what Ducore technology is, which is that the carts have dual ceramic cores to make them much more efficient and clog-resistant than standard single core carts.

Closer look at the goodies:

There are two pens that take the carts (bottom left), more carts, more magnetic adapters, charging cord, and three disposable batteries (top and bottom right). That makes a total of six batteries that will take the refillable carts and twelve carts to try them all out with. Excellent!

Last thing to show you is the information about filling and preparing the carts:

So, that's what they sent along and I'm really looking forward to trying out the batteries with my extract.

But since I haven't made any, my son brought out his collection of commercially-made carts and everyone tested the batteries. Once you figure out what the buttons do, they work great! The palm-sized ones have some heft to them and are really comfortable in your hand. I'll do detailed descriptions of each as they get tested with my extract.

At this point, Ispire is mostly a B2B company selling to other companies that want to put their own logos on the procucts, but they are opening a retail website shortly. If anyone wants info, they can email Luna@getispire.com, or PM her at @GetIspire. :thanks: Luna for getting me off to a great start to my project. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom