JBoozer's 1st Grow - Nirvava AK48 - Top Feed Capn Style - 600 Watt HID

Re: JBoozer's 1st Grow - Nirvava AK48 - Top Feed "Capn" Style - 600watt HID

Looking great JockBoozer, do you have any pictures of your window DIY setup?

JBooze,

I see you ran into the same problem I did when building the room, dang ceiling fan lol! Really not a problem, just wish I could have made it deeper. I think mine is 120 x 87 x 37. I didn't make two separate rooms, as I have a tent I can use for veg. Have to get some of those little chunks for the next grow. Looking great, I'll keep an eye on it.

Shaft -- I know right?! I was initially hoping to get a full 4 feet, but the fan and the radiator under the window kept me back several inches. All good tho....it is a tad cramped but should be good for growing a nice, massive plant.

60cal -- I took a few pictures of the window I have covered and the other window that is it the room that is uncovered. It might be a bit tough to tell from the pics how its put together, but if you have a skilsaw and some DIY skills, you shouldn't have any problems.

So in the pic below you can see the bumpout for the window. The reason it looks so narrow is because the room splits right on the window. On the other side of that wall on the right side of the picture is the veg room. One thing that made doing this much easier is that there wasn't any trim on the window besides the sill. It is still possible to do this with the trim on; you would just need to make the bumpout a bit bigger.

20140906_142109.jpg

In the following pic you can see the other window, sans trim as well:

20140906_142155.jpg

To cover the window, I used a tablesaw and ripped some 2x4s in half. I then "framed" the window with these pieces by screwing them to the wall. I then cut up a piece of plywood, painted both sides white, and then screwed it to the framing I just put up. As you can see in the first picture, I used some black duct tape and put it over the seam where the plywood met the framing. I did this due to a little bit of light leak. In hindsight, if I had to do this again, I would use some caulking or pl400 to get a better light-tight seal.

Also....make sure your blinds are down when you screw on the plywood...of course! Instead of painting the outside of the ply, you could also staple a sheet to it I suppose. Basically you want to be able to look at it from the outside and not see any ply...even with the blinds closed. Plywoooded windows have that "sketchy" look. Doing it like this will only give you that "white trash" look. :rofl:

Hopefully that explains it well enough for ya!
-JBooze

Hey folks, big picture update today! Today is Day 20 FYI.

Today the plant got its first dose of 400ppm nutrients. She is looking as healthy as can be!

20140906_141859.jpg

Also, as you can see in the next couple pictures, I did the first topping:

20140905_180334.jpg

20140905_180345.jpg

Here is a picture of the roots. She got her first dose of tea this past Monday and will get her second this coming Monday. Looking nice and white! Another few days to a week and she'll be ready for the transplant to the 6" pot.

20140906_141939.jpg

I spruced up the room a bit more as well. I had been using the semi-rigid 6" flex duct. Don't ever use that crap...way to stiff to be useful. You will run into issues when raising and lowering your light. I switched up to the lighter duty, foil style flex duct:

20140906_141844.jpg

20140906_141829.jpg

In the next pic, you can see a close up of my max-fan and light ballast. I also switched up the duct work where it exhausts out the room. I had been using the semi-rigid pipe there as well. I changed it to a standard 6" duct with a 90 degree elbow exiting out of the room (which you can see a bit better a couple pictures above):

20140906_142020.jpg

Previously, I had the exhaust vented right back out into the main room. This of course was playing hell with the grow room temps, as the intake is in the same room. I fashioned up a stealth exhaust manifold. You would really need to know what your looking at to make any sense of it from the outside. Here are some pictures (The AC unit is sitting on top of it):

20140906_142129.jpg

20140906_142138.jpg

20140906_142155.jpg

To connect the manifold to the grow room exhaust port, I just cut up some cardboard and taped it together. This may become an issue later on if the cardboard starts to deteriorate from moisture. If it does, I will use my cardboard pieces as a template to bend up an aluminum transition box. Until then, it serves its purpose well.

The following picture is of the veg room in its current state. Just being used as a storage closet at the moment. In about a month I will be painting the inside white, building a bench similar to the one in the flower room, and setting up lighting/ventilation.

20140906_142045.jpg

Thanks for tagging along folks, its been a great ride so far, and I'm still 5-6 weeks away from the start of flowering!
-JBooze

Day 23:

Hey folks, just posting another quick update. I checked the root structure and she was looking really good and ready, so I transplanted up to my 6" pot. I also bumped up to a 500PPM feeding as this is what I had soaked the grow cubes in. She seems happy with it...it may be a touch early for 500, but I'll keep an eye on her for any signs of nutrient burn and I'll back off to 400 if necessary. Also, you can see the fresh growth where I had topped her...looking great!

20140909_185601.jpg

20140909_185551.jpg

20140909_185614.jpg

-JBooze

Subbed.. I'm in the process of getting setup but have been considering AK48 for my grow. I'm anxious to see how it turns out. BTW, that's some impressive DIY work.

Thanks twist! If you start a journal, I'd love to see it. When I was browsing seeds it was such a tough pick. There are so my strains out there it is mind boggling. I went with the AK48 because its tried and true; a stable strain. It has a decently quick flowering period, and supposedly a more cerebral high. Plus, the price seems to be a bit more affordable than some strains out there.

Here are some more pictures from today (Day 25):

Growth seems to have slowed just a bit over the past couple days since I topped her. On the other hand...it may be just because I'm seeing more outward growth instead of upwards growth.

20140911_172025.jpg

20140911_172036.jpg

20140911_172116.jpg

20140911_172131.jpg

20140911_172055.jpg

Enjoy!
-JBooze

I hope you find a similar phenotype that my AK48 #3 that I grow produces good amounts of highly resinous buds and tastes great through a vaporizer.

Subbed! Awesome set up! +reps for that! :goodjob:

Learned a lot just reading through your journal.. we are growing similarly. Looking forward to more posts!

:goodjob::thumb:

LadyGreenthum

Outstanding DIY job and thanks for the pictures, it gave me some good ideas. Your little girl is looking good.

Subbed! Awesome set up! +reps for that! :goodjob:

Learned a lot just reading through your journal.. we are growing similarly. Looking forward to more posts!

:goodjob::thumb:

LadyGreenthum

Outstanding DIY job and thanks for the pictures, it gave me some good ideas. Your little girl is looking good.

Thanks folks, I'll have more pics/updates tomorrow. If you have any questions on how I made something, lemme know.

-JBooze

Subbed - Great job on the grow closet. I'm on my 2nd grow - I've got clones from our first grow going 30 days now. Nothing like your own organic grow.. you will be spoiled first puff. There's no turning back now, grow baby grow.

Good luck - keep it green.

Cheers,
Cottage 420

Day 27:

I fired up the MH light and I'm now using the CFLs as side lighting. I also setup a drain for the rubbermaid tote that the plant is now sitting in. I was going to order a real drain kit...but I didn't feel like waiting. I just bought a fitting from the hardware store. The inside part of the fitting is removable...this is the part I used. Nice and easy setup for a couple bucks. I used a 3/4" spade bit to drill a clean hole through the bottom of the tote, then used a quality caulking to set it in. After it sets up, I can attach some 1/2 tubing underneath that will feed into a tote under the bench. Here are some pictures of this setup:

20140913_155026.jpg

20140913_155036.jpg

20140913_155209.jpg

And here are today's plant pictures:

20140913_153147.jpg

20140913_153156.jpg

20140913_094425.jpg

20140913_094330.jpg

-JBooze

Looks nice. I hope the drain hole doesn't leak for you.

Back
Top Bottom