Kraw420's First 420 Magazine Grow Log 2014 - 1 Tent - Dual 600's and a Bloombox

It's not a deficiency that I'm aware of so you need to look at pests, mould etc.

Fungus Gnat's are the only pest (that im aware of) knock on wood that I currently have in my garden. Maybe it is some type of mould. Maybe im looking at this from the wrong angle. Thanks Skunny for the input, always appreciated.

I have been having a bit of trouble diagnosing a yellowish, bronze spotting on some of the leaves of a couple plants.
What do you guys think?
033178.JPG

032180.JPG

Your leaf damage appears to be a calcium deficiency.

The difference between Pro-Mix HP and regular peat moss is Pro-Mix HP is amended with calcium and magnesium to buffer pH ranges better and supplies additional calcium and magnesium to the plants. Are you supplementing additional calcium and magnesium to your plants?

Fungus gnats will damage the roots and cause the appearance of deficiency's in the leaves of plants they damage. For soil insects I use diatomaceous earth on top of the soil as a barrier, it cuts them as they move through it. I bought my diatomaceous earth from an animal feed store, do not use the type meant for pool filters. Mosquito dunks can also be used as a soil drench for fungus gnats. Sierra Natural Sciences also makes a soil drench called SNS-203 for fungus gnats and other soil insects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous earth

https://www.homedepot.com Mosquito Dunks 6 Pack

https://www.sierranaturalscience.com natural-pesticides sns-203

Your leaf damage appears to be a calcium deficiency.

The difference between Pro-Mix HP and regular peat moss is Pro-Mix HP is amended with calcium and magnesium to buffer pH ranges better and supplies additional calcium and magnesium to the plants. Are you supplementing additional calcium and magnesium to your plants?

Fungus gnats will damage the roots and cause the appearance of deficiency's in the leaves of plants they damage. For soil insects I use diatomaceous earth on top of the soil as a barrier, it cuts them as they move through it. I bought my diatomaceous earth from an animal feed store, do not use the type meant for pool filters. Mosquito dunks can also be used as a soil drench for fungus gnats. Sierra Natural Sciences also makes a soil drench called SNS-203 for fungus gnats and other soil insects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous earth

https://www.homedepot.com Mosquito Dunks 6 Pack

https://www.sierranaturalscience.com natural-pesticides sns-203

I am using the General Organics complete line which has a Cal/Mag feed in it at a rate of 5ml per Gallon every feed. I came to the same conclusion you did although when I raised the Cal/Mag to 7.5ml per gallon per feed it seemed to get worse.
Is it possible it is getting too much? I havent tried cutting it to 1/2 strength.

I was under the impression Fungus Gnats where only detrimental to very young crops?

Your leaves are indicating a deficiency, I can not say whether it is caused by low calcium and magnesium levels or fungus gnat damage to the roots. Fungus gnats can kill your plants. I would take steps to eliminate the fungus gnats and increase the General Organics CaMg+ to 10 milliliters or 2 teaspoons per gallon.

Your leaves are indicating a deficiency, I can not say whether it is caused by low calcium and magnesium levels or fungus gnat damage to the roots. Fungus gnats can kill your plants. I would take steps to eliminate the fungus gnats and increase the General Organics CaMg+ to 10 milliliters or 2 teaspoons per gallon.

I have yellow fly traps, buy they are only controlling the problem not eliminating the problem. I will take your advice and go with diatomaceous earth as a barrier, and in the mean time increase my Cal/Mag to 10 ml p/g. Thanks again.

Calcium deficiency will always affect the newer growth 1st not the lower older growth which is shown in your picture. This is how I concluded it wouldn't be a deficiency. After reading the advice you've been given & knowing it's very hard to lock out cal mag, try what KJC says & see how you go, it won't do you any harm :)

I thought I would post a few pics of some of my buds from a harvest I completed shortly before I started this journal.

This is the BigBang harvest from 1 plant, not a favorable pheno in my books. Grows very bushy and dense very hard to break through its canopy. Smells of skunky pine, smokes as it looks, deep, earthy, minty, skunk. Good buzz, happy, energetic, euphoric.
040121.JPG

042124.JPG

041122.JPG

Next is my 2 plant ChemDog harvest.

Grows more tall with above average stretch at flower, good bud to leaf ratio. Smells of fuely, skunky, sweet goodness. Nice taste of lemon on the inhale, buzz comes on strong, very relaxing and mellow, good perception alteration. All in all very good erb.
I must note that my final weight shown in the pictures here, is actually about 1/2 oz less than it was. Had to give a smoke report...Right..?
043109.JPG

04598.JPG

044102.JPG

046101.JPG

Good report & some nice looking nugs :) Congrats man :thumb:

Why thank you Skunny, I appreciate you dropping in.
Theres always room for improvement though...

No worries buddy:)
This is true & there's no better way to learn than from some of the good people on here :) I'm tempted to try a bit of light cycle manipulation on this run. 21hrs 36mins light 6hrs dark for 2weeks when in the peak budding stage. I hear it can give massive improvements in the harvest weight, so it's gotta be worth a try

No worries buddy:)
This is true & there's no better way to learn than from some of the good people on here :) I'm tempted to try a bit of light cycle manipulation on this run. 21hrs 36mins light 6hrs dark for 2weeks when in the peak budding stage. I hear it can give massive improvements in the harvest weight, so it's gotta be worth a try

Interesting, im curious to see whether or not there is truth to that. If you plan on doing a Grow Log regarding that type of light manipulation please let me know.

The only light minipulation (if you want to call it that) that I have done is with the DLS or Diminishing Light Schedule, im sure youve heard of it. Basically mimicking the later months of summer by reducing the light timing starting with 12/12 then 11.5/12.5 for a few weeks then 11/13 and so on. I actually found a website that tracked sunrise and sunset times and dates then would calculate the sunshine length and compared to the previous day whether or not it was + or - daylight length in seconds - minutes. I made my own DLS based off the yearly projection from the website using averages.
I tried this a few grows ago and didn't notice a substatial difference though it is hard to do a side by side comparison when every plant is unique in its own way.

If I do bite the bullet & do it then it'll just be done in my grow journal. I'm very tempted to try it, I might put it up to a vote :)
Yea I've heard of DLS but never anything positive to make me want to try it.
There's also one that shortens the cycle so your plants finish sooner but gain no extra weight. That uses an 18hour day so you veg 12/6 & flower 6/12 & it knocks a quarter of the time off but I can see it reducing weight tbh.

If I do bite the bullet & do it then it'll just be done in my grow journal. I'm very tempted to try it, I might put it up to a vote :)
Yea I've heard of DLS but never anything positive to make me want to try it.
There's also one that shortens the cycle so your plants finish sooner but gain no extra weight. That uses an 18hour day so you veg 12/6 & flower 6/12 & it knocks a quarter of the time off but I can see it reducing weight tbh.

Oh yeah? No kidding, thats pretty cool. There is sooo much information about pretty well anything and everything its just a matter of sorting through the BS..!!

QUICK UPDATE!!!

I just placed an order with our wonderful sponsors MidWeekSong and will be looking forward to some future dank!!!
Ordered: 12 Reg. BC Bud Depot - Ultimate Purple
5 Fem. G.H.S. Co. - Kings Kush
I also received 2 free seeds of: Northern Lights x Chronic and New York Diesel x OG Kush

I will let you all know when my beans come in, and when Ill be cracking them. :icon_cool

Hey Kraw, i've caught up.. 3 pages is actually a small amount to catch up on compared to some journals around here.

A question.. Did you buy your bloom box before or after your tent... I have a feeling you're going to say... before you bought the tent.

I have a newer model producer. And i bought 2 tents afterwards! Its nice to do a sog in a BCNL box, but all those plants are a waste of space! and a 400w bulb (times 2 in a producer. Only 1 400w HPS on the flower side of Bloom box right?) is hardly enough to do the job for them.

Dont get me wrong. I do like my Producer (sort of..), but i do not like the lack of vertical growing space, the difficulty in exhausting the heat from the box, as well as getting cold air in.

Thats why i have 2 tents now. one 4x4x6.5 and an 8x8x6.5 They rock!

Back
Top Bottom