Mars Hydro Grow Journal TS3000: Chef's New 4x4

If I don't have to deal with another set of clones and different flip times it would make my life a whole lot easier, which would be nice after having all these Candidas around for a year of GA3/STS spraying. o_O

:goodluck: with the auto!
Like all things it’s a balancing act. The treated portion of the branch needs to be in just enough light to produce a good amount of flowers, but not such strong light that the treated nodes are pulling substantial hormones. If the lights too strong, you’ll never get pollen sacs.. doesn’t matter how often or how long you treat. It’s simply getting too much ethylene. If the nodes don’t have enough light, they won’t produce pollen sacs in time for them to really be of use - but that can be mitigated by using the clones/different flip times. Good luck with your candidas!
Lovely plants, Chef, one and all! :Rasta:
Thank you good sir! Should have some dried nugget sample pictures in the coming week as well!

I grow outside you know! So the GA3 plants should never have been in the sun once I started spraying? Or the STS?
I think being in the sun is fine, but you’ll need to look towards the bottom/middle of the plant.. or maybe keep your donor more in the shade so there are less hormones in general? And don’t clean up the skirts! Larf is where you’ll have the best success!

when I treat, I paint the branch from end to end.. but the very top of it never grows pollen sacs or nanners. They typically start about half way down with the very bottom being usually too under developed to really provide much pollen. Enough hormones to grow decently fast, but not so much they over power your silver solution.

Thanks Chef! I've been leaving the STS Candida in the tent now anyway (pretty low wattage on the LED) to keep possible random pollen from the big Spring plants, so that might be helping. And I have been seeing more pollen sacs on the lower branches so you're 100% correct there!

Also, changing the spray from morning (and in the sun all day) to just before lights out might be helping as well. I guess I'll find out if there's anything in those sacs pretty soon. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks Chef! I've been leaving the STS Candida in the tent now anyway (pretty low wattage on the LED) to keep possible random pollen from the big Spring plants, so that might be helping. And I have been seeing more pollen sacs on the lower branches so you're 100% correct there!

Also, changing the spray from morning (and in the sun all day) to just before lights out might be helping as well. I guess I'll find out if there's anything in those sacs pretty soon. :fingerscrossed:
Do you discontinue spraying when you notice sacs? That’s a very important part of it. Stopping the bombardment of silver when you see a few boy parts allows that section of the plant to grow (more) healthily, giving you maximum possibility of viable pollen.

definitely night time spraying is better. The solution stays in contact with the nodes for longer. I know that’s the case for CS. I’m not sure about sts or GA3. I know those ones you typically treat far less frequently.

The STS instructions are "Spray every 5 days until major male flower formation has begun" (I've been doing every 4 days per Chris' instructions). I'm not exactly sure how to define "major" though. Last spray was Monday night and this morning some look like this:
20210617_082443 CD-1 STS sacs.jpg

I was going to do one more on Friday night. Skip it?

The STS instructions are "Spray every 5 days until major male flower formation has begun" (I've been doing every 4 days per Chris' instructions). I'm not exactly sure how to define "major" though. Last spray was Monday night and this morning some look like this:
20210617_082443 CD-1 STS sacs.jpg

I was going to do one more on Friday night. Skip it?

Definitely skip it, I would call that major male flower formation. Looks like the reverse was a success my friend... hopefully they’re verial, they sure look to be from where I’m sitting.

I would be hesitant to spray any pollen sacs with anything that is moisture. As I’m sure you’re aware, water ruins pollen.

If all the sacs in that photo are fruitful, you’ll have enough pollen for hundreds of seeds.

now that youve got some clear sacs formed the most important thing is that they grow healthfully.

True, but I didn't see any of those open ones as viable yet since they don't seem to be spilling pollen. Of course, pollen is much more in your wheelhouse than mine! I'll sit back and wait then, and have the strainer and parchment paper at the ready.
The way I’ve been doing it, as soon as I notice a few clear pollen sacs.. I stop. The last thing you want to do is spray something you know is a pollen sac.

True, but I didn't see any of those open ones as viable yet since they don't seem to be spilling pollen. Of course, pollen is much more in your wheelhouse than mine! I'll sit back and wait then, and have the strainer and parchment paper at the ready.
And here’s the pollen for my back pocket.

its about a quarter of a quarter teaspoon.

No more nanners to collect.. should be enough pollen to make a couple hundred seeds if I wanted. I’ll probably just make 30-40 at a time on different strains

I have to remember not to put mine in the freezer...too much condensation! Probably better off in my back pocket. :cheesygrinsmiley:

If I actually get pollen of course...no chicken counting here.
So I’ve been thinking about this. We spray so that we can reverse the plant for pollen. The spray isn’t what creates the pollen, it’s what allows the plant to create male flowers. The spray is only necessary while we’re unsure if there are male flowers being grown. If you can positively identify a staminate flower then the work of the spray is done. All that’s left is to allow those male flowers to mature.

that’s the way I look at it.

Look at you go you mad little scientist!

I am so impressed :)
Whoa I totally didn’t notice this post! Thanks Trala, its a great time growing my seed collection. I can’t stop either, I’ve got a list of strains I have to do one after the next... and that list seems to grow faster than it shrinks!

So today is looking like the very last day on 5 of these 6 plants.

I picked 5 seeds from the Xanadu, they all looked beautiful. I picked a few seeds from as low as I could find on the CnC, they had a tiny bit of green to them.. but I believe them to be nearly fully matured. with a 10-12 day hang the seeds will finish out. The only plant that will stay standing in the 4x4 is the Killer A5, she's hitting her bulk stride and coming into her final 2 weeks before harvest window. Surprisingly, she's densing up a good amount. She's also taking on this tropical smell, very reminiscent of Dark Devil auto but with a dash of that Northern Lights tar/rubber. Can't wait to puff a big fatty of that gal.

here are the seeds i picked, looking great.

...yep, definitely time.

Back
Top Bottom