MightyMonte88 Soil Unknown Strain 2013 First Grow

MightyMonte88

Ok this is my first ever attempt to grow so here we go..

Medium

I'm using soil as my medium, i didn't want to try and dive into something like hydroponics. I'm using miracle grow and i wish i hadn't but its what i had to use for now, next grow i'm using better soil.

I'm using the nutes - What to use and how guide. "If You Used MG soil, do NOT nute at all during veg... and use only additional P-K and supplements without "N" during bloom..." this is because the soil I'm using has time released nutes so when should i start feeding my plants and should i use the miracle grow feed like the guide says?

Strain

My plants are an unknown strain, with my next grow i want to buy some seeds. I figured i'd use what i have for the "Trail and error" process. I don't know if this makes a difference but i used seeds i found from some reallly quality bud, first time i had ever found seeds in this kind of bud before and there where only 6 or so in a half ounce.

Age/State

I'm at day 25 since they sprouted up out of the soil, still in Veg state and i'm unsure how long to keep them in the veg state. My tallest plant so far is 10 1/2" tall, the others are only an 1" behind her. I took the measurement last night, i just took another one this morning and my one plant grew another 1/2" overnight it's crazy how fast plant life grows haha.

Room Temp/Hum

I keep the Room temp around 75-80 F during the day and try to taper it back to 72-75 F at night. I have a fan constantly blowing on the plants.
I've come up with another way to regulate the temp in the room and its really working. We live in an area were we don't need A/C so its never on, i closed all the vents in my house except the grow room vent and the A/C hardly runs and keeps that room at the exact temps i want it at.

I'm trying to keep humidity around 45-60% but sometimes it drops down to 20%, i'm going to have to get a humidifier. Rarely have i ever got it up past 45%

Buckets

The plants are in 5 gal buckets i think, they are either 3.5 or 5 gal. I put rocks at the bottom to help with drainage.

Watering

I water twice a day, i feel like i'm watering too much but i always wait until the soil is just about dried out at the top. Whats the best way to go about watering? I was using distilled water but i was told because i won't be nuting that i should switch to spring water so i did, i always let the water sit with the cap off to let anything i don't want in the water evap off.

PH Testing

I don't have a PH testing kit yet but i'm ordering it this week. I was supposed to have it already but didnt have the money.
Amazon: Luster Leaf 1601 Rapitest Soil Test Kit

1667105788851.png

That's the one i'm picking up, it also comes with a soil moister meter so i can keep a closer eye on watering.

Lighting
I'm using a 600 WATT MH buld for veg right now, when i start flowing i have a 600 WATT HPS bulb to use.

Pests
A curious cat, none other than that.

Pics
11wd36.jpg

676A0367.jpg

676A0368.jpg

My phone takes terrible pictures, the plants are actually a much brighter green than that. That picture was taken about 2 hours before lights out, sometimes the plants like to sag and i was told that was probably from heat, so that's why i started air cooling the room with A/C.

Help and advice would be muuuuch appreciated, thanks guys.

Ahhh i think i made a big mistake today, i feel so stupid. I forgot to turn the lights on.. it's 6 PM EST my time and i just now clicked them on, what should i do?

you should keep your plants in a vegetative state under 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness, for a flowering state keep them under 12/12 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness, and buy a heavy duty outdoor timer.

https://www.google.com search Heavy Duty Outdoor timer

Day 30 it's been one month since they sprouted.
Hum/temp still at normal ranges, still no PH kit yet.
The plants are all at least 15" tall ,one made it to 16 and one is lagging behind at 13 1/2"
Still in veg, still going at 16 hours daylight. I'm going to probably up the lighting to 18 daylight

How much longer should i keep them in veg?

IMG_025926.JPG

IMG_025825.JPG

most cannabis plants will stretch 2x-3x during flowering, if you have a 7 foot tall grow room i would wait until your plants are 2 feet tall and then switch to a flowering 12/12 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness light schedule. i can not see how far above your plants your light is but it can probably be lowered to 12-18 inches above your plants. place you hand underneath the light bulb and lower your hand to the point you can not feel any heat, adjust your light above your plants to that level and raise the light as your plants grow.

High_Intensity_Light_Coverage.jpg

Metal_Halide_chart.jpg

HPS_chart.jpg

grow-room-light-distances.jpg

HPSGraphPAR.jpg

Wow did you make those graphs? Thanks for the resource man. At some point should i move my plants from my closet? it's a 3 1/2 to 4 foot wide by 2 and a half foot deep closet, i feel like once they hit flowing stage they'll outgrow the closet.

KingJohnC is a valuable member of the community here. Take his advice on lighting and plant size. It really does matter how big you want the finished girls to be. Use the almost halfway method. When they are almost halfway to how big you want them, switch. But dont underestimate the stretch sir! They are gonna reach for the heavens.
BTW :goodjob:

i did not create the graphs i have posted, i have found them from different sources and included them as a visual representation for new growers to become familiar with light distance from the canopy.

Ok picked up the recommended MG plant food/ blossom boost. -Nutes - What To Use & How To Use Them - Tutorial

I think in the next 5 to 10 days i'm going to switch to 12/12 and the HPS bulb to flower. I'm going to wait till flowering to start feeding them.

Once the males are sorted out is it ok to let the plants be close enough together to touch?

Alright it's day 32, one plant reached a height of 16 3/4 almost 17, two others are over 16 and one is still just under 15" tall.

I switched to the HPS bulb and am starting the 12/12 cycle. I mixed my feed exactly as the guide described and fed the plants the for the first time with the first mix, I'll be looking to harvest around day 83 if all goes as planned.

Didn't know that, i'll start that right now, so the lights come back on at this time tomorrow. Spimp i have two questions for you, first after the males are gone is it ok to keep the plants close together? the leaves are just about touching each other right now. Second, my plants are grown out to the walls of the closet, should i move them to a bigger area?

I forgot to mention i took Kingjohns advice and adjusted my lamp height, his advice/graphs showed 12-18" being optimal, so i went with 15" from canopy top to be on the safe side.

Here's a pic of the "girls" right now at heights 18", two 17", and the runt at 16".
Capture98.JPG

you want to keep enough distance between your plants so your plants can get good airflow through them. i would move your plants to a larger grow area if you are able to. you need an area for your plants that you are able to give them 12/12 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness.

Day 36, maintaining the same schedule, lights are 12/12. On at 8 off at 8. Highest plant height 21", lowest is 18 1/2".

Moved the setup to a more open space, lamp height sits at 13" above canopy.

allplants3.JPG

aoneplant.JPG

Here are some close ups, the first two are of a plant i think might be female.
acloseupfemalehairagain.JPG

acloseuppossiblefemalehair.JPG

acloseupotherplant.JPG

Ok update, as long as the little white hairs are signs of female plants than so far 3 out of 4 are female :grinjoint:

I need some advice, i don't have the PH kit yet so i was wondering if there is some way to "fail safe", if i mixed a controlled amount of baking soda into 1 GAL of water for watering to help keep the PH UP would this work?

Some recent set backs have left me with no more funds for the grow, gotta go on what i got.

Back
Top Bottom