Most Dense Strains?

Cornercat

I'm growing five Stardawg crosses right now. One is called Hibernate, a cross of Shuteye and Stardawg. This plant has a bunch of unique and desirable characteristics, but most noticeable was the bud density. Every cola is rock hard. It's a huge difference from the other strains and really any other strain I've grown. I looked up the breeder's pages for Hibernate and Shuteye - sure enough, they actually comment on how rock hard the strain is.

I always thought density related to the growing conditions, lighting, silica levels, overall plant health, maturity, etc. I'd assume indicas are more dense than sativas too, but beyond that why are some strains so naturally dense? I now have a new parameter to look out for when strain searching - bud density!

What are the densest strains you've grown? It doesn't seem to be an acknowledged trait, but bonus points to you if the breeder's page actually comments on the density.

Looks awesome, I believe it’s one of those genetic traits that can b greatly effected by grow conditions, lights and everything
I thought so too. I thought I was growing pretty tight nugs. But this strain is so dense, it really stands out next to the other strains in the same conditions. I'm convinced density is genetic now.

Side note, this strain was pretty much immune to all of the poor conditions that four other strains in the tent were stressed by. Two observations I make from this are that the plant was perfectly healthy its entire life so that obviously helps fulfill its genetic potential. Second observation is that this plant really could not have cared less about my growing conditions. I'm not a totally new grower, but I definitely made some big mistakes last grow that this strain wasn't even phased by. One lucky grow is hardly anything to go off but take it for what it is.

I'd love to see Hong Kong but if you mean Hibernate here's more of her. Just chopped last night. Still drying but I'm sure I'll take more pics later.

Pics don't really show how dense she is though. We need to develop some kind of test to demonstrate and evaluate density. My two ideas that would make funny YT channels are a bud guillotine and a bud-smacker like the strongman carnival game. Would love to see some dense bud sliced in half like an orange, or some thiqq whaps on a rising strength scale.

I’ll toon in on this because I too am growing this strawberry cough that is solid rock hard and is supposed to be a sativa dominant genetic, and out of the three seeds I popped in the soil 1 I grew outdoors the other two I’m finishing up now in the indoor garden and all three are rock solid. Hence I do also feed a lot of microbes and feed my soils, but I also use the same amount on all other strains/genetics grown this way and this strawberry cough so far has seriously stiff nuggets from top colas down to the lowest bud on the her!! And I might add the seeds we’re also abnormal in size and looked like a watermelon seed!

Attachments

• D981DA37-350C-48B9-A273-EAFAAEFE7037.png
    D981DA37-350C-48B9-A273-EAFAAEFE7037.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 209
  • 16AEFCEB-34F3-483A-B33D-F0A3B20B51F9.jpeg
    16AEFCEB-34F3-483A-B33D-F0A3B20B51F9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 225
  • F592C1E8-1375-459E-B8C3-F28B09971F43.png
    F592C1E8-1375-459E-B8C3-F28B09971F43.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 276
  • 10C52BB6-7A55-4170-93AF-9985B6613AFE.jpeg
    10C52BB6-7A55-4170-93AF-9985B6613AFE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 233
Here’s another example on it being genetic and not just about what ya feed your plants even tho feeding them like queens that they are will make them sparkle no doubt, but these strains that are being produced now are adapting to today’s ways of growing which I know is totally my opinions on this subject. I’ve taken strains that were supposed to be 20 years old grown them out in all different types of environments and no matter what I did to these certain genetics grown outdoors years ago I couldn’t get them to adapt to indoor garden even tho they grew and all the buds themselves either top cola to the very bottoms they all were fluffy as fluff can get. But to make my point is all these old genetics grew amazingly outdoors and was a totally waste of space and time indoors. I’ll also throw in some pics of a strain crossed from old time moon shine with chemdog and even tho these nugs look dense and heavy And we’re also dense and heavy feeling while still alive. When dried and cured they were very light in weight but still dense looking.

Attachments

• 285C98A6-963B-4D8B-BC91-45EAD2E6AC36.png
    285C98A6-963B-4D8B-BC91-45EAD2E6AC36.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 281
  • 75DDFCD7-640A-404F-BA91-7E3C1B853AD5.png
    75DDFCD7-640A-404F-BA91-7E3C1B853AD5.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 313
  • 68F9F7E9-2878-425A-AB74-36823D0A0B79.png
    68F9F7E9-2878-425A-AB74-36823D0A0B79.png
    2 MB · Views: 269
Nice job with her Moto, that first pic makes me drool. I've never gotten my fan leaves to completely frost like that. It does look dense, too. I grew my Hibernate in happy frog but I switched from organic to powder salts halfway through flower. This next grow is going to be all salts and peat based hydro media. Looking forward to comparing any differences.

Nice job with her Moto, that first pic makes me drool. I've never gotten my fan leaves to completely frost like that. It does look dense, too. I grew my Hibernate in happy frog but I switched from organic to powder salts halfway through flower. This next grow is going to be all salts and peat based hydro media. Looking forward to comparing any differences.
Why thank you!! Haha I know right they look like tasty treats ment to be eaten lol! I’ve always grown in fox farm ocean forest and just add amendments along the way. On top of that if you feed your girls constant supply of microbes and know how to read their runoff in flower you can adjust and add accordingly and then they just absorb everything you feed them! My soils are so alive that I get springtales on the constant trying to eat the fungi!! I’m pretty positive that plays a huge role in the trichomes department for my girls I grow but that’s just my opinion on that!!

Why thank you!! Haha I know right they look like tasty treats ment to be eaten lol! I’ve always grown in fox farm ocean forest and just add amendments along the way. On top of that if you feed your girls constant supply of microbes and know how to read their runoff in flower you can adjust and add accordingly and then they just absorb everything you feed them! My soils are so alive that I get springtales on the constant trying to eat the fungi!! I’m pretty positive that plays a huge role in the trichomes department for my girls I grow but that’s just my opinion on that!!
I'd love to learn more about the interaction between microbes and trichomes. It doesn't sound too complicated to just add amendments to ocean forest. Do you have more information in your grow journal or something? What do you mean by feeding a constant supply of microbes? I thought microbes were added to the start of a grow and merely kept alive throughout with organic feed and raw sugars like molasses. Do you actually re-inoculate your media throughout flowering?

I'd love to learn more about the interaction between microbes and trichomes. It doesn't sound too complicated to just add amendments to ocean forest. Do you have more information in your grow journal or something? What do you mean by feeding a constant supply of microbes? I thought microbes were added to the start of a grow and merely kept alive throughout with organic feed and raw sugars like molasses. Do you actually re-inoculate your media throughout flowering?
I’m not sure about how their Reaction comes about, but I started realizing the more alive your soil base is the more your plants can use their full potential in their genetics. Now I’ve never went full salts and never used full synthetic base nutes, and I’m not going to dog on any of that but to me using the nutrients and microbial life for my feedings works like a charm and none of that synthetic stuff is going to change my mind or get me to try even using a full synthetic nutrient base schedule. I’ll send you a private message on my feeding regimen if your interested and let me know if you have any questions on how I use them all and when I use them. And of course I might get some heat on my opinion with synthetics and organics, but I also believe not all/most organic based nutes I use is fully organic either! I start feeding my soils about the first to second week before I enter them into flower and that seems to work for me every time. When you start to get springtales appearing in a small amount in your run off then you know you have a soil that is thriving!! I will note that sprigtales also might be warning of over watering your girls also so be careful on when they start to appear and when they appear because you don’t want them their because of that reason only. I just keep their population down as the flower continues and finishes so that they don’t take over all that fungi they like to eat. Great white and myco chum/fish turds does the wonders for me plus I use fox farms line up but not all of their stuff I use let me add. I also amend with recharge during different periods in flower and add mycos in the soil a couple different times in flower. And also when I say I feed constant supply of microbes I mean I straight feed my girls a lot of it during flower. Every other watering I’ll give them some myco chum and every feeding I’ll give them a dose of great white or recharge up until I reach my desired time of cutting them off of their nutrients. I’ll just slowly introduce cha Ching from fox farm in their as I cut them off of their main food source and then after a few days to a couple weeks you’ll start to notice the chlorophyll leaving the leaves and then it’s time to cut em down. Also note in their having amazing lights and having them at the right height will increase trichomes production in my opinion but I could be wrong on that. If someone knows more about that subject I’d love to learn a little more.

Wow, thank you for all of that information! Please send me your regimen via pm too!
Sounds a little more complicated now but this gives me a lot to think about.

I'm really hoping my clones do well with the hydro media and powdered salts because it's just so simple. I scoop up 3g per gallon of water, mix, feed. Every watering, same concentration from veg through flower. That's it. Never grown hydro like this before but never gone that deep into organics either. I'm always willing to experiment though.

Can you elaborate on springtails? I've heard the same things that springtails are a sign of a good soil. But you don't add the springtails do you? Pretty sure FoxFarm does, I used to get them in every bag without amending anything. How do you control their population? I don't really understand what they do, I thought they were just a harmless pest that fox farm can't get rid of. If they're eating the beneficial fungi then why are they good at all?

Thank you for all your tips I really appreciate it. I think light is certainly a factor for frostiness, I've heard a lot about UV specifically.

Wow, thank you for all of that information! Please send me your regimen via pm too!
Sounds a little more complicated now but this gives me a lot to think about.

I'm really hoping my clones do well with the hydro media and powdered salts because it's just so simple. I scoop up 3g per gallon of water, mix, feed. Every watering, same concentration from veg through flower. That's it. Never grown hydro like this before but never gone that deep into organics either. I'm always willing to experiment though.

Can you elaborate on springtails? I've heard the same things that springtails are a sign of a good soil. But you don't add the springtails do you? Pretty sure FoxFarm does, I used to get them in every bag without amending anything. How do you control their population? I don't really understand what they do, I thought they were just a harmless pest that fox farm can't get rid of. If they're eating the beneficial fungi then why are they good at all?

Thank you for all your tips I really appreciate it. I think light is certainly a factor for frostiness, I've heard a lot about UV specifically.
Your very welcome I’m happy to explain my opinions on cannibis with ya!! I’ll send you my feeding regimen for ya just give me a little bit to get it all down for ya lol because it might look like I’m a crazy scientist after you see and read my feeding schedule lmao but heyy just shows theirs passion out there for this craft! And on the Springtale subject you know I’m not 100% on if foxfarm has them in their soils already or not. I just start to notice them when I start feeding heavily on all the microbes, mykos/great white/ and recharge, but you could be right about them being present in the soils already. In nature they are all over the place if the soil is thriving! But I do also need to note I finish most plants in 5 gallon pots other than when I throw a mother into flower then I definitely have to put them into much bigger pots lmao! But reasons I’m talking pot size is the sprigtales eat away decaying roots and when I grow in 5 gallon pots my roots tend to keep on expanding and if I’m correct if your able to keep up with their population you can have the springtales work for you in a beneficial organic way to eat away decaying roots as you feed heavy with the stuff creating all that beneficial bacteria/fungi. Spring tales are harmless at least they have done no harm to any of my gardens, but I also keep up with them so they don’t take over. I personally have never added them to my soils they just appear after so long but I know that you can get them as well and just add them... but please don’t do this unless your confident lol I sure don’t wana cause any harm to anyone’s personal medicines in that case I just wana help anyone that’s interested in how I grow the way I grow.

To get back on topic, does anyone think that trichome production could be related to bud density? Besides that Hibernate being super dense, it was also super frosty. Correlation?

I'm asking this because I'm trying to watch this flower more closely on its second round. Here's what she looks like 2 weeks into flowering. Hibernate is the first picture, the others are irrelevant but also at two weeks. They all look and feel similarly dense so far, but I was kind of shocked to see the Hibernate developed trichomes already, and cloudy ones at that. Maybe dense buds are dense because of a thick saturation of trichomes between the growth.

To get back on topic, does anyone think that trichome production could be related to bud density? Besides that Hibernate being super dense, it was also super frosty. Correlation?

I'm asking this because I'm trying to watch this flower more closely on its second round. Here's what she looks like 2 weeks into flowering. Hibernate is the first picture, the others are irrelevant but also at two weeks. They all look and feel similarly dense so far, but I was kind of shocked to see the Hibernate developed trichomes already, and cloudy ones at that. Maybe dense buds are dense because of a thick saturation of trichomes between the growth.

Beautiful pics! you should enter photo of the month contest...

as far as density is concerned i feel it all has to be there. genetics, environment, light. take one of the pegs away and it can't stand.

genetics are still the most important, but you need the rest to capitalize on the potential.

Back
Top Bottom