Munki's Ebb n Flow 3 x 3 SCROG 400W HPS Grow

Hopefully they both turn out well...they might try to fight for root space only leaving one to thrive and kill off the other.

The competition issue has been addressed in this nutrient delivery system. Each plant is in its own grow bag filled with hydroton. The holes in the bottoms of the bags allow them to flood easily yet keep each plant's root system segregated from the other. I have noted that the roots have reached into the bottom of the bucket, so there may be some competition at the end here but I think they will do well. I'm using an ebb n flow system I found on another website. I cannot link it here as it is against the rules.

Look up "tron2hydro" in google. It is in a site that has some pretty cool calculators and stuff.

Hey, welcome to my thread 420fied and berrydizzle. +reps for your participation, questions, and advice.

Ya know, I re-read the beginning of your SCROG journal and that must be where I got the idea for building it. I read many things but I love your journal and your techniques. For thouse of you who haven't seen 420fied's version of this screen, it is HERE.

Everyone, please read what 420fied did if you haven't already. Truly awesome stuff and I plan to steal more ideas from you 420fied! :smokin: I'll try to be better at remembering where I got my idea from and giving proper credit.

I will veg this out until I can get the screen to around 2 to 2 1/2 feet square. I'm hoping I can get that done within 3 weeks. We shall see.

The HPS lamp has run for over 12 hours now. Heat was well controlled for my present environment (low 80s). I pull in some fresh air from the outside that that can come in pretty cool (70s) as I am kind of near the coast. I will be lowering the lights today. I really think I'll be able to get that lamp down low. I've been impressed how that long fan cools the canopy top.

Thanks bro. You're too kind. I'm looking forward to watching your grow!

Thanks bro. You're too kind. I'm looking forward to watching your grow!

I'll watch yours grow if you'll watch mine! :hmmmm: (the 'grass' that is!)

Glad to see that you decided to bust those girls out of prison (phototron)!

Aside from the lack of space and light, I never thought much of ANY setup that recommends picking immature buds. An immature bud isn't just small, it's not "finished" and will not provide either the potency, longevity, or desired affect that a mature crop will.

If u are pulling air in directly from outside, I would advise putting up some kind of screen, just something to keep things out that could otherwise make their way into the grow room. Thanks for the +reps by the way.

I'll have to take pics of how I pull in outside air after the grow so you can see it. Nothing fancy. I tape a 20 inch square air filter on a box fan that is taped to an opening on large cardboard box. On that I connected two 6 inch flanges, then ducting from the box to the tent. You can see them in the wide shot of the tent on the left hand side. One towards the bottom and one towards the top. I still don't feed in as much air as I pull out but I get a decent amount through and it is important as I rely on cooler outside air to help keep the temps down.

No problem on the reps. I dish em out to all who contribute to this community.

Glad to see that you decided to bust those girls out of prison (phototron)!

Aside from the lack of space and light, I never thought much of ANY setup that recommends picking immature buds. An immature bud isn't just small, it's not "finished" and will not provide either the potency, longevity, or desired affect that a mature crop will.

Oh, I hear ya man and welcome aboard. I was only going to do it to see how it went and document it but in the end, I got what I needed and built the rest for a traditional flower room. The beautiful babies I grew in the tron should flourish in their new environs. (Crossing fingers) So, it was a good place holder and stepping stone for me. For $50, I do not regret the purchase.

I still don't feed in as much air as I pull out

Uhh...

:grinjoint:

I'm after thinkin' that you DO have as much air going in as you do a leavin' lol. Otherwise your plants are a growin' in a vacuum.

I was only going to do it to see how it went and document it but in the end, I got what I needed and built the rest for a traditional flower room. The beautiful babies I grew in the tron should flourish in their new environs. (Crossing fingers) So, it was a good place holder and stepping stone for me. For $50, I do not regret the purchase.

Well, for $50... I guess after one makes a point to completely disregard ALL instructions that are geared towards encouraging the user to finance the next round of vacations at 'tron corporate headquarters... That it might well have its uses, at least after suitable modifications (the first being to plumb drainage holes so that they won't drain onto the ballast lol) and adding a little 70- or 150-watt HPS where the top of the thing used to be.

But anyone thinking about buying one new ought to just build a box of about the same size for a few bucks, add some real lighting, etc... And then take the several hundred dollars that they saved and use it to do something nice for the wife, girlfriend, or both.

Just my opinion of course. YMMV.

Uhh...

:grinjoint:

I'm after thinkin' that you DO have as much air going in as you do a leavin' lol. Otherwise your plants are a growin' in a vacuum.

I do understand the physical laws present in the system. I am referring to what portion I purposefully supplied to the room. The negative pressure created by the inline fan pulling air out will pull the remaining air needed through any stitch hole, zipper, and velcro point in compensation. I need to supplement this with the outside air as the tent is in a relatively hot room. The outside air is significantly cooler most times and as a result, lowers the overall temp inside the tent. I dump the exhaust into the surrounding room for now as there isn't anyplace else to run it. I am in a rental.

For me, the negative pressure means that all exhausting air passes through the activated carbon air filter.

Well, for $50... I guess after one makes a point to completely disregard ALL instructions that are geared towards encouraging the user to finance the next round of vacations at 'tron corporate headquarters... That it might well have its uses, at least after suitable modifications (the first being to plumb drainage holes so that they won't drain onto the ballast lol) and adding a little 70- or 150-watt HPS where the top of the thing used to be.

But anyone thinking about buying one new ought to just build a box of about the same size for a few bucks, add some real lighting, etc... And then take the several hundred dollars that they saved and use it to do something nice for the wife, girlfriend, or both.

Just my opinion of course. YMMV.

I wouldn't buy a phototron new for many reasons but a big one is that it still needs to be in a room that can be made light tight. The tron itself is not. That forced me to get an enclosure for it which needed ventilation which got me almost to the point of having the requirements for a better grow so I exited the tron.

I don't know about putting holes in the bottom of the tron. Just not necessary. The ebb n flow bucket system I just is simply a superior system as no water touches the tron at all! Fluid lines run through one of the side panels. Anyways, moot point for me now. Ladies are growing well and I'm needing to come up with a larger reservoir as the 5 gal bucket isn't going hold more than a few days of water for them soon enough.

Any Tron fans left? Don't be shy, a show of hands please.

Fans of the current design and cost, no. I think that since pre-made grow boxes of any sort are a niche product, the cost to produce the small quantities purchased require high prices for the companies to make a profit. This makes it a hard sell to someone when it can take years to recoup the units cost in product so few will abandon established growing techniques. Most current growers are the type who are willing to "roll their own" grow setup so to speak ;). Now, if growing becomes more mainstream and average people want to get into this, they will want simplified, pre-made systems. Volume would go up and production costs down and could result in cheap prices for the pre-mades making them more financially attractive.

I'm drawing analogies to the home computing history.

Day 39 top, middle, and below shots. Sorry that they are a bit blurry. My Canon is off for repairs.

Day39-top.JPG

Day39-middle.JPG

Day39-below.JPG

Growth is coming along. Using much more water. Water add backs of a gallon occur within a 3 day timeframe now. Need to get a bigger reservoir made.

Just got caught up on you journal, Love the set up and the plants look wonderful, Great Job.... + rep

Just got caught up on you journal, Love the set up and the plants look wonderful, Great Job.... + rep

Thanks for reading my journal. It will take some time for this to complete but I am willing to go the distance and see what I can get out of them.

Thanks for reading my journal. It will take some time for this to complete but I am willing to go the distance and see what I can get out of them.

Looking forward to it. I see your in so. cal. Is there a reason your not taking advantage of the So. Cal. Sun

Looking forward to it. I see your in so. cal. Is there a reason your not taking advantage of the So. Cal. Sun

I'm in a rental house and the owners supply a gardener who comes every other week. Trying to keep things on the down low. I will probably try and get an outdoor crop going next year though if I'm still here.

Marijuana acceptance is definitely growing ... finally! It took everyone going broke to finally get the populist majority off of this prohibitionist stance that has existed for the past 100 years. I think it was because black jazz musicians were associated with the herb back then and to keep the black man down, the gov't went after weed. As race relations improve in America, it is nice to see the associated BS public policies fading away as well.

Back
Top Bottom