New Flowerbox Test 1: Starting From Clones 4 x SD & 4 x GDP

Okay, for all of you that have been following along withThe Challenge: Cardboard Flower Box, this is test one before I completely finish to work out any kinks in design.

Repeat, this is only a test.

4 clones of Sour Diesel, from The Sourpuss
4 clones of Ken's Grand Daddy Purple from The Purple.

This will be a rough start to be improved upon as the grow goes. I put it here simply for posterity and so I can look back and laugh at my hydro infancy. Really to show myself the progress made through the coming years and grows.

Clones taken today, placed in Gro|dan Rockwool to root. Regular rooting compound readily available at the local hydro shop was used, and will be using ONLY WATER until they are rooted. After the root, they will be moved to rockwool grow blocks and placed in whatever system I finally decide on for the flower.

Not much to see right now. But here are the new babies in their new home. This has a cover that when you put it on one way, it is vented, and another way is more sealed. I discovered that in the vented position, too much humidity is lost and the plants wilt very quickly. so, after this pic, the cover was rotated, sprayed, and replaced after the plants got a spritzing as well.
120911155200.jpg

Re: New Flowerbox test 1: Starting from Clones 4xSD and 4xGDP

Okay, so I decided I'd add these to the test in SOIL to see if I still have it in me to grow in dirt. :D besides, this one is Thing 2, and Sourpuss, and they'll probably finish first and give me some tester buds for potency and flavor. Maybe I can figure out what Thing 2 is. Time will tell.
121011113602.jpg

121011113631.jpg

Also, as this is my first full grow in about 20 years, I wanna make sure I can still do it! So I'm doing this first run with what I'm familiar with. To me it's safe and known, so I'll ease back into flowering with it. Yeah, I know, I'm a chicken shit, but hey... at least I'm growing again!! This will complete my first trial run, and if all goes well, I will be setting the other side of the box up as a hydro SOG or ScrOG before these finish for the other 8 clones if they all survive... Mr. Smith's inventions for DIY recirculating DWC come to mind for this box, and that is the very reason I can't make up my mind what to put in this damn thing! So much I want to do, and so little space in this apartment!

Alright Day 6 of testing. Light does not get through the doors or any other part of the box, and here are the starting results.

Pistils all over the frikkin' place. This is the the Sour Diesel.
121611161837.jpg

121611161946.jpg

121611161953.jpg

Also in this grow was another plant.... a plant that is male. I will not show the pic because I did not take one at the embarrassment of MARKING POTS INCORRECTLY! This mismarking also led me to cull the wrong clone and place the mistaken female into flower which led the bastard to let his balls hang all over the fucking place... CULLED. It was an autoflower indica Thing 1 from the Wonder Twins posts. I will take a clone of Thing 2 and do it correctly this time. Sorry for that. I'll have to make it a bit of a larger clone than I'm used to taking to keep up with Sourpuss's clone, but I'm confident it will not cause any ill effects. I just may have a longer wait for the Thing 2 clone to finish before I can harvest.

Okay, so I replaced the mistaken Thing 2 Clone which was actually the male of the twins named Thing 1 today. Straight into flower box before root to try and keep from falling behind in the test. Water only for now, as I have 8 other clones roughly a week ahead of her. My hopes are that she will root and be ready by the time I have selected the 4 strongest of the 8 to flower out. Maybe I'll do a 9 plant SOG.... Meh, as it is right now, they're under 12-1 but I'll be dropping the "1" on the flip. That will come when I get to the transition strength nutes 10-10-10 and a week after will go to full strength flower nutes. I judge about 3 weeks before the flip, hopefully, may take 4 though.
121711090458.jpg

SIDE OBSERVATION: I have noticed that the success rate for cloning in hydro/aero is much better than that of other methods. This is widely known of course, but I decided to record my personal success rate to the wealth of cases already recorded. As yet I have had ZERO LOSSES due to rooting failure. I do have 1 clone that I switched to full veg nutes a bit too early and she has shown her dislike for such quite clearly, but I still have not lost her. Though the group is still small, only 15 clones attempted in all. 1 was culled right after roots formed mistaken for the son of a father plant that was previously culled. The resulting clone that was not culled due to the mislabeling was caught and later culled as well. and I count 13 clones still alive nine of which are rooting as we speak. To this date 100% success in rooting has been achieved. We shall see how the later nine do.

Day 15 all 4 SourD showed roots out the bottom of their starter cubes, so, I put them into the system. I decided to forgo the 4" grow blocks and place the starters directly into the Hydrotone. As such I have elongated the watering times to better hydrate roots. I went back up to 15 min twice a day. One at lights on, the other 1 hour before lights off.

122411092056.jpg
122411092150.jpg
122411092216.jpg

As these are still new cuttings, but will need food, I fired up the nutrients. Going easy at first, of course.

Cycle 1: Cuttings and Seedlings until roots form

jungle_juice_mixing_instructions_bg.jpg

The above nutrient schedule is a bit confusing, so as always, I will break it down per Liter, then convert it to Gallons and teaspoons for those that are too bad at math to easily figure it out......... or too baked.

On a 100L Schedule for Seedlings and Cuttings:
33mL per 100L = .33mL per 1L
1Gal = 3.78L
.33mL x 3.78L = 1.247mL
1.25mL per Gallon Each Grow/Micro/Bloom

- OR -
1.0mL = 0.20288tsp
1.247mL x 0.20288tsp = 0.25299136tsp
1/4tsp per Gallon Each Grow/Micro/Bloom

I also place 1mL SUPER Thrive per gallon to help stave off stress, and help keep plants healthy.

the 4 GPD are lagging behind. I did see that from my first clone of these, they do take a while so they're still in the mini greenhouse.

I shall grab a chair and watch you get back it the swing of it all.

Welcome! This is actually 2 tests:

1) to see how this DIY box flowers
2) to see if I still have my... hehehe ...green thumb.

So, to put it mildly, I'm expecting some ups and downs with this, the first flowering in about 20 years, and in HYDRO no less. But we'll deal with the downs and celebrate the ups as they come. I hope your seat has a safety restraint. It may get bumpy.

okay, so day 20 of testing!

All SourD and all GDP made it to roots! Still 100% cloning rate!

Placed GDP in Hydrotone yesterday, and settled the other two clones in that I had started. SourD and Thing 2 are in the center, new SourD clones on left, and new GDP clones on right.

SOUR D
122911004255.jpg

GDP
122911004302.jpg

Extra GDP
122911004313.jpg

Thing2
122911004319.jpg

Group Shot.
Left: SourD Center Front: Extra GPD Center Middle: Thing2 Center Back: First SourD clone (potted) Right: GDP

122911004327.jpg

New Photos!

SourD is doing nicely!
010612104148.jpg

Top: GDP
Middle: Thing2
Bottom: GDP.
You guys should know by now about my thing for the purps!!
010612104200.jpg

As expected, the GDP is taking longer to root-n-chute than the other started the same day...
010612104223.jpg

Earlier Sour Diesel started in flower to sex, I left in the box to finish flowering just for kicks. Keep in mind that this was started in the flower as a cutting and as such will be much smaller than normal. Day 50.

She's leaning a bit to get directly under the light from her previous position outside the bin so after this pic I turned the lean away from the light and placed her in the bin so she would get better light.
010612104405.jpg

Flower Close-up. Gonna have a nice bud stick from the looks of it.
010612104509.jpg

010612104454.jpg

GROUP SHOT!!
010612104817.jpg

OH CRAP! I forgot that they were on GLR!!, so the Sour D is currently reveging! Dammit! I was looking at the closeups and saw some really thin hairs under the big flowers. Wondering what was wrong and remembered... SHE'S NOT IN FLOWER! She's reveging, I guess when the clones are up to full nutes she'll go back into flower. LOL! dammit. I really hope she doesn't hermie.

Those are some beautiful Green Girls you got goin on, and nice cloner dude, can't wait till i have need of one ( lease on house up in june 1) so soon after .
keep up the great work

hehehe, I'm in a leased living space as well, but what can my landlord do when I went to him informing her of my intentions and handing her a notarized, doctor-signed, recommendation recognized by the state? Hell the my veg space sits on an end table in my living room. The Flower Box is a 7' tall cardboard construction sitting in my dining room.

Back
Top Bottom