Peyton & Pals Perpetual Playground

Got my led lowered in flower room. Been wanting to do it for a while now, just never got to it. SB is taller than HGK by about 4 inches and now it's 12 inches above SB. Didn't hurt sour sky, doubt it'll hurt these. I'll check tonight at lights on as per usual and see if there's any change good or bad. Clones are still hanging in cups doing their thing. Might need to get more lights in veg cab though. Only 75 watts total in there now, probably double it tonight if I get the time, and I'll try to take pics

As I read your post it got me thinking, my LED was only 6-1/2" from the tops and there weren't any bleaching spots. I think it might be the strain that determines at what level we have to position the light. Also I think a strain might be genetically setup for a lower, or higher, amount of light - photon energy- that they can tolerate. The plant might be able to tell us how high it prefers the light. I'd have to get my OCD really tuned up to watch for subtle changes. Or setup the video cam and record fast speed. Takes a lot of SDHC space but result is a slow motion video of the growth. I might have to do that when I start F&V. That could be very interesting and entertaining to watch one grow like that.
Man is my hand killing me. I wish I had some oil for a few weeks before I went to doc yesterday. I'd have been slathering it 3x a day.
:cheer: Go! Clones! Go! :cheer:

WJ

Got my led lowered in flower room. Been wanting to do it for a while now, just never got to it. SB is taller than HGK by about 4 inches and now it's 12 inches above SB. Didn't hurt sour sky, doubt it'll hurt these. I'll check tonight at lights on as per usual and see if there's any change good or bad. Clones are still hanging in cups doing their thing. Might need to get more lights in veg cab though. Only 75 watts total in there now, probably double it tonight if I get the time, and I'll try to take pics

Indeed. My first grow handled the close light, and seeing how close yours got was more proof, especially since your light is a lot more powerful than mine. A video of your fnv grow would be an awesome sight to see, and I know you have the computer skills to do it. I'm guessing you gotta let your hand heal up before you can construct new room? I'm all excited and is not my grow. You're making oil, growing big autos, building what I assume will be beautiful grow rooms indoors. You're the man wildjim!

Hey guys your forgetting a key part about led. Distance has nothing to do with heat. It has to do with spectrum blending. Too close and the spectrum isn't blended enough. This will directly effect quantity and quality. In theory and what I've read on led grow lights.
I know this from my salt water aquariums. I hang my lights at a certain distance so the corals grow evenly. Too close and they grow really funny. Temps obviously have no effect the corals are under 74c salt water. But distance does. My biggest salt tank has 700w led and 250w of hetalhalide.

How's drying going Jim? Did you pop the fast n vast ? Not rushing ya bro just curious :)

I thought about the spectrum blending and didn't see a negative effect on sour sky, but I'm keeping a real close eye on them just in case that changes. In just 12 hours the looked and smelled happier.

To be fare. What did you compare it to? I just love trying to debunk or prove theories. I do it at work and I do it in everything I do day to day. Lol
I'd love to get a spectrometer and get someone with led to test the color blending. And then do a side by side.

I didn't see any problems with some of my corals when I had the LEDs sitting on the canopy. Then I read about the blending shit, moved my light. And within a month the corals looked really good. I compared pictures of before and after on a local aquarium site, and they all agreed the corals were much more lush and colorful. I had nothing to compare the corals to so they looked fine to me. Only when I seen the comparison did I realize the difference.

Buuuut after saying all that hahahha my saltwater led are rated to be 10-12 inch from top of the water. Hahahahah basically what your currently doing. Manufactures calls for what on them lights? 18 inch? Does sound high.

Not saying anyone is doing harm or nothing. Just something to consider.

I use a white sheet of paper that had a slight sheen to it and put it right on canopy of plants. If you put it closer to light, you can see the colors separate, but at canopy they blend back into a solid single color. Nothing scientific at all, but somehow in my head that makes it okay lol.

And I plan to keep moving the light up slowly as the plants grow with it. I kept the led at 18-20 inches away for most of grow and thought the plants didn't seem to get as big as they should have. Sour sky was a beast compared to these two in flower now

Haven't popped one yet. But I am slowly working on basement. Hand pain is ever present and makes me grind my teeth. Also I'm waiting on part for my truck so I can pick up wood and stuff. Failed inspection because of a headlight adjusting cable. 20 years old and it rotted and snapped, so light is loose. They wanted $250 for cable for one light. I bought one for both lights online for $93. Supposed to be on truck for delivery today by 8PM. Can't wait. It will be done quick when truck is road worthy again.

Room is going to be 10x10. Just got to find a place for all my sh!t. I can only put it where the boss says it's ok. She already freaked when I told her the size. But I'll be overwintering the tomatoes in that room too I told her. Took over a bunch of basement real estate the past two years. She's ok with the plan, as of now. She doesn't smoke, but she really wants me on the oil. That's love my friends.

WJ

That is love for sure. I haven't had a car inspection since I left Texas, and they were a pain in the ass if you didn't know someone who would just sell the sticker. Luckily in Indiana there is no emissions standards or any of that. That room is gonna be awesome, especially at that size. And with autos you won't even have to split the room in half. So does that mean you'll be getting more lights?

I had a tumor removed by scalpel. Just a chunk taken out of the back of my hand. It's a little swollen and painful as can be. Can't grab or hold anything. Nail gun is out of the question. Heavy work, including moving pool table and weight bench, is too much for now. Small stuff moving is ok in short bursts. But I'm getting there. Doc said should be ok by Monday. At least I didn't have to take my shorts off this visit. Usually the doc, a nurse and my wife get to see me butt naked standing there and revolving so everyone can see all of me. My wife always jokes about the stirrups on the table. She really wants to see me humiliated in those stirrups. They all get a laugh out of it.

WJ

I been missing way too much. Or I'm not reading everything lol.
U OK Jim? What happened to your hand?

I'm thinking about getting a LED for my tomatoes and growing greens for the winter. Don't know what I want yet. Thought about a 900 or 1200. I'll only winter over two tomatoes this year and some greens. I just want to grow the tomato plants, not grow tomatoes, so I might even get away with another Mars II 700 or 600 reflector.

WJ

I would imagine a reflector should work great for tomato plants. Of course, another light like you already have would be better. Especially when the tomatoes go back outside, then you can grow a few extra autos

I would never have thought about that Peyton. I have a small 48x3 reflector that I used to veg the NLxBB. I thought she started quick. I'll use that again. Remember I plan to CS the next one. Beans! But another 700 would definitely fit the bill. I like the 5 watt LEDs.

WJ

I would imagine a reflector should work great for tomato plants. Of course, another light like you already have would be better. Especially when the tomatoes go back outside, then you can grow a few extra autos

Talking to a buddy last night. Might have a basement to grow in soon. Finally be able to utalize both 1kw ballasts and the 400w mh for vegging. Been talking about it with my buddy for a few months, I'm going back to work at the end of this grow basically, and he's going to be laid off for the winter. Kinda works out. I'll have to split it with him. After bills. But I'll have enough room to grow almost 10x more then I can now.
I still kinda wanna keep a grow at home too. Might be my kick in the ass the buy a led this winter.

Just remember sometimes partnerships don't always end well Stumped guys can get greedy I've seen a few end rather badly hate for you to go down that road buddy. I will never go down that road again but I hope the best for you just sucks when it turns into a headache and somebody is taking the joy out of growing . :goodluck:

With a crop that big at someone else's house, I would just worry if he doesn't have your skills to quickly diagnose and solve plant problems. Unless he's close enough to you that you can check on them easily. Hopefully its a good partnership, I imagine you wouldn't even consider it if he wasn't a good guy

Back
Top Bottom