RDWC Lemon Skunk Seeds From DNA

Oh wow this is strange now, I study manufacturing engineering and work in the aerospace industry so I will be definitely building my own systems. Researching diy led builds currently I think this will be the next thing.

Yes I know of these, they go by the name oxypots over here.

As for the stone issues something like this springs to mind when you say about it undergoing some kind of chemical reaction Travertine - Wikipedia
Experienced this at some natural hot springs in Turkey.

As for the auto ph have you seen any systems for this?
One problem I see is getting an accurate measure of the pH
We run a system on our CNC machines which auto fills the coolant tanks with correct concentration of water and lubricant and a big problem we found is where to read the concentration, if the last batch added hadn't fully mixed in yet It could throw out weird readings, this is something to bear in mind if designing a system but wow would this save you some time and effort I assume

I will save those nutes to my notes for future reference then :)
No issues with clogging your system at all? I read this is what people struggle with when using 'organic' nutes in hydro

Nice! Yeah I was looking at building my own cob setup. I want to make the frame out of 4 inch metal tube (exhaust tubing probably). This tube would have the heatsink of the cobs inside it and a few inline fans to suck air through the tubes to cool the heatsinks. If I ever build my lights that is what ill do. Unfortunately I just blew crazy money on 2 Black Dogs so im thinking I will stick with them.

That's funny. My cobble stone was from Prague.

There are a few companies that sell auto Ph. Systems. You can auto add any nutrient, additive you like, but there are some pretty glaring issues to get over. Let's say we're talking auto Ph. It will Ph down your water all day long and keep it at one number. But the issue with that is if you dont move you Ph. Up and down the scale a bit you run the risk of shortchanging your plants some nutes. For instance, Calcium really only gets going when the Ph. Is above 6.2. If your target number is 5.6 Calcium won't be as bioavailable as it could be. It will still work, but it won't be as effective. There are a million charts out there showing what I'm talking about. Look up plant nutrient bioavailability according to Ph under Images.

Aren't you using your refractometer? Dude, you gotta use your refractometer! That is by far the easiest way to check coolant mixture. So im a Manufacturing Engineer, and master machinist with a forte in high tolerance surface grinding. I'm a plastic injection mold maker by trade. I've worked for Philips North America, and presently work for a company that makes intraocular lenses. I never like soluble oil based products unless I was drilling holes on a mill or lathe. I used Valcool in my machines. Its light, doesn't load up a wheel, mixes easy. Good stuff.

The deal with organics in a water discipline is that it's kind of alive, and might bring in a nightmare pathogen. This bad news critter might have just have found heaven on earth in your reservoir. In my system there are 3 tubs, hosed, a water pump in a filter bag, net pots, roots, bla bla bla. All of which can get contaminated. If the system is empty no big deal, but if your growing your options are limited.

Sounds like we have some things in common... funny, you just never know who youll meet!

So today I'm gonna jabber on about my hydro system. I got into DWC kinda by accident. I ordered a Gen Hydro Rainforest. It seemed to be all that I would need to grow some badass bud. The product came and I was over the moon. I set it up on my kitchen counter, put about 10 gallons in it, plugged it in and nothing happened. What was supposed to happen was the motor starts spinning, and a crazy looking fan blade flicks water at the net pots... technically it's Aeroponics. Turns out GH changed vendors in China and the power cord was wonky (this is from the West coast Rep.). Too bad for me, i had seedlings that needed a home. I figured I would just make it DWC and be happy as a clam. Well, it worked so well I bought another Rainforest, Rubbermaid tote and added an R to my DWC.

So that's the history. My system has 12 grow sites but I don't usually go over 6 plants.

420-magazine-mobile680015099.jpg

My total nutrient volume is around 60 gallons but I use 50 gallons to measure all my nutrients. The reservoir is 27 gallons. Its a Rubbermaid Brute series tote, so it's heavy wall. I have a half inch hose coming in the left side from my return pump. I also have a repurposed, digital meat thermometer for water temp. My favorite part of my system is the auto fill valve. There is nothing better. It comes off of my Stealth 200 RO filter.

420-magazine-mobile814454487.jpg

I can hear it now "I like to see how much water my plants take up". I was like that too, but I spent $12 on this thing and will never go without. All tubs are insulated.

420-magazine-mobile1217528782.jpg

420-magazine-mobile220512403.jpg

You will notice a 6 inch inline fan in my res. lid. This is how I chill my water. I usually have a 6 inch elbow in the hole at the other end of the lid. When i attach my AC to the inline I can lower my temps deep into the low 60s. I had a chiller but it also showed up busted. If anyone is interested, i can give more detail on the inline thingy.

420-magazine-mobile1362128100.jpg
420-magazine-mobile476163706.jpg

I only use Hayward bulkheads. They have a million options, they are over built, and simply work. They are a but spendy, but I think they are worth it. I use 2 inch hose instead of hard lines for many reasons. The only down side is my hose is clear.

420-magazine-mobile2146915838.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1212150441.jpg

My return pump is in the second tub. Its in a filter bag. If im not mistaken I believe it pumps about 400gph. The outgoing hose has foam insulation around it. I also usually has the same insulation on the 2inch hose.

420-magazine-mobile2027638914.jpg
420-magazine-mobile816703231.jpg

Air... I use 2 Eco plus 3 air pumps. They are loud, but they do the job. I have 2 12 inch diffusers to bubblize my air. These things jam. I like a lot of air. Its not just air in the water, it's also the effect of tiny bubbles (please no Don Ho jokes) popping and splashing their contents all over the net cups. DWC folks know what I'm talking about.

I guess that's it... if anyone is interested in a little more info let me know

So today I'm gonna jabber on about my hydro system. I got into DWC kinda by accident. I ordered a Gen Hydro Rainforest. It seemed to be all that I would need to grow some badass bud. The product came and I was over the moon. I set it up on my kitchen counter, put about 10 gallons in it, plugged it in and nothing happened. What was supposed to happen was the motor starts spinning, and a crazy looking fan blade flicks water at the net pots... technically it's Aeroponics. Turns out GH changed vendors in China and the power cord was wonky (this is from the West coast Rep.). Too bad for me, i had seedlings that needed a home. I figured I would just make it DWC and be happy as a clam. Well, it worked so well I bought another Rainforest, Rubbermaid tote and added an R to my DWC.

So that's the history. My system has 12 grow sites but I don't usually go over 6 plants.

420-magazine-mobile680015099.jpg

My total nutrient volume is around 60 gallons but I use 50 gallons to measure all my nutrients. The reservoir is 27 gallons. Its a Rubbermaid Brute series tote, so it's heavy wall. I have a half inch hose coming in the left side from my return pump. I also have a repurposed, digital meat thermometer for water temp. My favorite part of my system is the auto fill valve. There is nothing better. It comes off of my Stealth 200 RO filter.

420-magazine-mobile814454487.jpg

I can hear it now "I like to see how much water my plants take up". I was like that too, but I spent $12 on this thing and will never go without. All tubs are insulated.

420-magazine-mobile1217528782.jpg

420-magazine-mobile220512403.jpg

You will notice a 6 inch inline fan in my res. lid. This is how I chill my water. I usually have a 6 inch elbow in the hole at the other end of the lid. When i attach my AC to the inline I can lower my temps deep into the low 60s. I had a chiller but it also showed up busted. If anyone is interested, i can give more detail on the inline thingy.

420-magazine-mobile1362128100.jpg
420-magazine-mobile476163706.jpg

I only use Hayward bulkheads. They have a million options, they are over built, and simply work. They are a but spendy, but I think they are worth it. I use 2 inch hose instead of hard lines for many reasons. The only down side is my hose is clear.

420-magazine-mobile2146915838.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1212150441.jpg

My return pump is in the second tub. Its in a filter bag. If im not mistaken I believe it pumps about 400gph. The outgoing hose has foam insulation around it. I also usually has the same insulation on the 2inch hose.

420-magazine-mobile2027638914.jpg
420-magazine-mobile816703231.jpg

Air... I use 2 Eco plus 3 air pumps. They are loud, but they do the job. I have 2 12 inch diffusers to bubblize my air. These things jam. I like a lot of air. Its not just air in the water, it's also the effect of tiny bubbles (please no Don Ho jokes) popping and splashing their contents all over the net cups. DWC folks know what I'm talking about.

I guess that's it... if anyone is interested in a little more info let me know

Awesome system! That's a cool idea for the res. The a/c air goes in, cools the water and is sucked out into the room with the fan? I like it. I think I should consider more air in my res. I have two stones in there now but looking at yours bubbling makes me want more lol. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome system! That's a cool idea for the res. The a/c air goes in, cools the water and is sucked out into the room with the fan? I like it. I think I should consider more air in my res. I have two stones in there now but looking at yours bubbling makes me want more lol. Thanks for sharing!
You don't need the AC to benefit from the fan cooling your nutes. The fan by itself will lower your temp 7 to 10 degrees. Sounds ridiculous, but it's true, and cheap. I use an Ipower fan. I think it was 25 bucks.

The only thing is you can't have the fan too close to your autofill or you will flood your room, which is bad.

You don't need the AC to benefit from the fan cooling your nutes. The fan by itself will lower your temp 7 to 10 degrees. Sounds ridiculous, but it's true, and cheap. I use an Ipower fan. I think it was 25 bucks.

The only thing is you can't have the fan too close to your autofill or you will flood your room, which is bad.

Haha yes, that would be bad. I may have to consider something like this during the summer months if my res temps are an issue. Neat idea. Im FreakBudz btw lol. Had a password issue so had to start new.

Haha yes, that would be bad. I may have to consider something like this during the summer months if my res temps are an issue. Neat idea. Im FreakBudz btw lol. Had a password issue so had to start new.

I gotcha man. You'll always be FreakBudz to me!

Nice! Yeah I was looking at building my own cob setup. I want to make the frame out of 4 inch metal tube (exhaust tubing probably). This tube would have the heatsink of the cobs inside it and a few inline fans to suck air through the tubes to cool the heatsinks. If I ever build my lights that is what ill do. Unfortunately I just blew crazy money on 2 Black Dogs so im thinking I will stick with them.

That's funny. My cobble stone was from Prague.

There are a few companies that sell auto Ph. Systems. You can auto add any nutrient, additive you like, but there are some pretty glaring issues to get over. Let's say we're talking auto Ph. It will Ph down your water all day long and keep it at one number. But the issue with that is if you dont move you Ph. Up and down the scale a bit you run the risk of shortchanging your plants some nutes. For instance, Calcium really only gets going when the Ph. Is above 6.2. If your target number is 5.6 Calcium won't be as bioavailable as it could be. It will still work, but it won't be as effective. There are a million charts out there showing what I'm talking about. Look up plant nutrient bioavailability according to Ph under Images.

Aren't you using your refractometer? Dude, you gotta use your refractometer! That is by far the easiest way to check coolant mixture. So im a Manufacturing Engineer, and master machinist with a forte in high tolerance surface grinding. I'm a plastic injection mold maker by trade. I've worked for Philips North America, and presently work for a company that makes intraocular lenses. I never like soluble oil based products unless I was drilling holes on a mill or lathe. I used Valcool in my machines. Its light, doesn't load up a wheel, mixes easy. Good stuff.

The deal with organics in a water discipline is that it's kind of alive, and might bring in a nightmare pathogen. This bad news critter might have just have found heaven on earth in your reservoir. In my system there are 3 tubs, hosed, a water pump in a filter bag, net pots, roots, bla bla bla. All of which can get contaminated. If the system is empty no big deal, but if your growing your options are limited.

Sounds like we have some things in common... funny, you just never know who youll meet!

Oh yes refractometers were used, key word were. This new fancy piece of kit is plump into the machine sumps, can monitor two machines and adjust lubricant concentration, pH and EC and give read out of temp. I dont fill my machines up anymore, 0 downtime.
Machine titanium and using a product called Blaser Swisslube and the monitoring system has been named 'the oracle' funny name.
But ye interesting point about keeping pH constant and bioavailabilty, no doubt someone's probably been caught out by that exact issue.
I'm sure it would be easy to program some sort of cycle, imagine it would be fairly easy to implement with basic plc programming. There's a project for ya haha

We were discussing programmable logic in another thread a while back but it seems no one ever tackled it.

PLC control would probably be a stand alone thing, Aduino (spelling?) Controllers maybe. I don't know if there are many control options on the pumps and things... I could be wrong. I do know you can get the peristaltic pumps by themselves. If you were bad ass enough to make an Aduino control unit, there's no reason why you couldn't change the Ph. Maybe program it to change it up by a little every couple days. Ph up base may need a way to be introduced over a longer period of time, wouldn't want to lock anything out. I would do it but I'm extraordinarily lazy... and I don't know anything about programming. I tell you what, I'll make the wall mount bracket.

Well, the West, and South plants a motoring along. West has seriously turned a corner.

The old saying "What doesn't kill you..." seems to be the war cry for this plant. Its had it hard since day one. South plant hasn't had it much better. So, now the North plant is giving me the fuzzy eyeball. Fuckin plants... I took off the only 2 real leaves to see if i can get some new growth at the top crotch. It seems to be working. There's a dode. A sign of life where there was absolutely nothing. Let's hope the 2 primary leaves can support the plant till it can get its shit together. The roots on this plant are the only saving grace f or this poor thing. This plant is only 2 weeks old.

I moved the North plant to my other tub. My system is shamefully vacant. 2 in one tub 1 in the other. The strain is Lemon Skunk... I think you know that. It gets kind of lanky as it grows. Maybe I can use that to help fill the SCRoG. I'll top at least twice. How would you guys do it?

One of the reasons for this grow is to check out my new LEC. I have it between the Black Dogs. I may just use it in mid day for 6 hours or so in flower. There's gonna be a ton of light. We'll see how it goes

Well, the West, and South plants a motoring along. West has seriously turned a corner.

The old saying "What doesn't kill you..." seems to be the war cry for this plant. Its had it hard since day one. South plant hasn't had it much better. So, now the North plant is giving me the fuzzy eyeball. Fuckin plants... I took off the only 2 real leaves to see if i can get some new growth at the top crotch. It seems to be working. There's a dode. A sign of life where there was absolutely nothing. Let's hope the 2 primary leaves can support the plant till it can get its shit together. The roots on this plant are the only saving grace f or this poor thing. This plant is only 2 weeks old.

I moved the North plant to my other tub. My system is shamefully vacant. 2 in one tub 1 in the other. The strain is Lemon Skunk... I think you know that. It gets kind of lanky as it grows. Maybe I can use that to help fill the SCRoG. I'll top at least twice. How would you guys do it?

One of the reasons for this grow is to check out my new LEC. I have it between the Black Dogs. I may just use it in mid day for 6 hours or so in flower. There's gonna be a ton of light. We'll see how it goes

Your lighting system is definitely incredible. I just watched a video on the Phyto 2 series. Badass light. Plus the LEC. Geez! They must be loving it.

Your lighting system is definitely incredible. I just watched a video on the Phyto 2 series. Badass light. Plus the LEC. Geez! They must be loving it.
Oh thanks man. I didn't buy a green lamp for the LEC, just flower so Im saving it for the flip.

It's honestly too much light. I guess the UV in the LEC stresses the plants out and causes prolific oil production, im going with more is better for now.

PLC control would probably be a stand alone thing, Aduino (spelling?) Controllers maybe. I don't know if there are many control options on the pumps and things... I could be wrong. I do know you can get the peristaltic pumps by themselves. If you were bad ass enough to make an Aduino control unit, there's no reason why you couldn't change the Ph. Maybe program it to change it up by a little every couple days. Ph up base may need a way to be introduced over a longer period of time, wouldn't want to lock anything out. I would do it but I'm extraordinarily lazy... and I don't know anything about programming. I tell you what, I'll make the wall mount bracket.
Yep stand alone plc unit, a pH sensor and a couple small pumps for dispensing pH up/ down.
The logic is fairly simple
'IF' Ph reads high/low activate outputs 1 or 2 for ya two pumps
I'll dig into the subject abit more, see what pH probes are available and stuff.
Collaborate on this haha

Glad to hear things are on the up for West!
Your plan for them is exactly what I'd do, top/fim the hell out of em and scrog.
I don't think you'll have an issue with 3 plants unless your restricted by time? A nice long veg will give you what you want.
The LEC is ceramic lights no?
Interested to see the effect, what's the spectrum like?

Glad to hear things are on the up for West!
Your plan for them is exactly what I'd do, top/fim the hell out of em and scrog.
I don't think you'll have an issue with 3 plants unless your restricted by time? A nice long veg will give you what you want.
The LEC is ceramic lights no?
Interested to see the effect, what's the spectrum like?

My issue with veg time is in the cost. Vegging three plants costs the same as vegging 6. I still have some issue with quantity i guess. I'm still a little pissed about only having 3 plants. I still may clone what I have to pick up a few more plants. I guess I'm mentally in the proverbial weeds.

Spectrum of an LEC/CMH is similar to a HPS, but very strong between 515nm and 650nm. I'm afraid I don't have a link for you as I'm using my phone.

Oh okay, that makes sense. You're going to rock their world.
Nice! Man I need a happy ending to this story.

I've enjoyed reading about your story. I have a feeling your gonna crush it as well.

Plants are working through a calmg issue. West is seriously afflicted. I sware this plant could catch a cold.
420-magazine-mobile399825266.jpg

My calmg strength is at 6ml per gallon, 1ml over the "aggressive feeding" concentration. I also top watered with calmg yesterday. South is still putting out gnarly leaves. But going strong.
420-magazine-mobile45145473.jpg
Quite a pair.

I'm afraid North plant is circling the drain. You may remember this plant had no future growth at the top crotch. I then trimmed off the two leaves it grew in hopes of it finding second gear... well the primary leaves aren't keeping up with the need to manufacture leaf sets, they're drying up. Ironically, there looks to be something growing on the middle. It's tiny, and i dont expect it to grow faster than the rest of the plant dies, but there's something. What I should have done was cut one leaf instead of both, or better yet, cut The leaves in half. Just damage it to promote alternative growth. The roots are still going crazy.
420-magazine-mobile1699269970.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1615977550.jpg

I've decided to add a couple seedlings to the mix. Barney's farm Alcopulco Gold. We'll see how that goes. I've been reading Grandpa Tokins warnings about different strains in the same pot, but I'm kinda dumb, and ignoring his sage advice

Back
Top Bottom