Real Grand Daddy Purp From Seed

Talkin' bout good vibrations *snaps fingers and grooves*

Definitely! :thumb:

This is the first photo journal I have seen on this site that features Ken Este's new seed based strain of genuine GDP, so it is definitely a must sub for any GDP fans out there! :)

im with gg7 on the gdp male i would trade every flowering female in my tents right now today for 1 gram pure gdp pollen in a cryo freeze pack, that genetic is elite beyond elite in no way would i be disappointed if i were in your spot, in fact i would say if i had a choice of a male or female gdp and could not have both i would choose a male!! there's more possibilities with a pure male than a female, yes i can make seed from a female but its hermie seed all fem seed is hermie seed this is a chink in the armor for breeding, you have pure gold my friend do not squander it ,or mark my words you will one day regret not taking advantage of this opportunity , ok thats my rantish advice on the male possibility, another thing to note is how awesome the plant is no matter its sex, its a killer phenotype defo genetics you want to hang on to it will impart its endowments on its offspring a good male is the hub of every seed bank in the world, they look longer and harder for gem males than females, and keep them around for decades!
on lst i found the best stuff ever,reusable and just perfect in my exp, try to get some of this
20121103_114355.jpg

works like a charm,no tying knots,!!

im with gg7 on the gdp male i would trade every flowering female in my tents right now today for 1 gram pure gdp pollen in a cryo freeze pack, that genetic is elite beyond elite in no way would i be disappointed if i were in your spot, in fact i would say if i had a choice of a male or female gdp and could not have both i would choose a male!! there's more possibilities with a pure male than a female, yes i can make seed from a female but its hermie seed all fem seed is hermie seed this is a chink in the armor for breeding, you have pure gold my friend do not squander it ,or mark my words you will one day regret not taking advantage of this opportunity , ok thats my rantish advice on the male possibility, another thing to note is how awesome the plant is no matter its sex, its a killer phenotype defo genetics you want to hang on to it will impart its endowments on its offspring a good male is the hub of every seed bank in the world, they look longer and harder for gem males than females, and keep them around for decades!
on lst i found the best stuff ever,reusable and just perfect in my exp, try to get some of this
20121103_114355.jpg

works like a charm,no tying knots,!!

I got that same roll great stuff:)

Funny thing is, I'm so into the GDP .... just from all the rave reviews and comments i've read about it. But, I have never had the opportunity to try any. Sure I have a plant in flower right now. But, it'll be 2 1/2 to 3 months before I'll be able to try my own stuff. Plus, I can't wait to try my OWN stuff. Not the "already been kiefed" and the "drowned in nutes .... bitter and harsh" and the "uncured stuff" that you sometimes find at some of the shadier collectives/dispenceries.

Funny thing is, I'm so into the GDP .... just from all the rave reviews and comments i've read about it. But, I have never had the opportunity to try any. Sure I have a plant in flower right now. But, it'll be 2 1/2 to 3 months before I'll be able to try my own stuff. Plus, I can't wait to try my OWN stuff. Not the "already been kiefed" and the "drowned in nutes .... bitter and harsh" and the "uncured stuff" that you sometimes find at some of the shadier collectives/dispenceries.

Worth the wait my friend!

This is what you and TG have to look forward to!! :yahoo:

P1013366.JPG

P1010300.JPG

:blunt:

Hee hee...:partyboy:

Well... You were complaining about how long you are going to have to wait to see what you are going to get right? Figured I would give you something to look forward to, and make the wait something to savor instead of stressing over! ;)

Those 32 colas all came from one 3.5 foot tall plant! Be sure to top all your growing tips three weeks before you switch over to 12/12 to ensure that you will get this level of bud development.

GDP is truly an amazing strain! :)

Be sure to top all your growing tips three weeks before you switch over to 12/12 to ensure that you will get this level of bud development.

Once topped, do they need to grow back in fully before 12/12????? Ive been topping mine since day 1 but Ive just recently topped again but i was waiting for them to grow back in before flipping the lights. I figured with out any tops there wont be no flowers

Once topped, do they need to grow back in fully before 12/12????? Ive been topping mine since day 1 but Ive just recently topped again but i was waiting for them to grow back in before flipping the lights. I figured with out any tops there wont be no flowers

Yes to a degree. You only need to do this once, and then give the plant some time to grow out those lower growing tips until you end up with a relatively even BUSH of growing tips. If done right the plant should look more like a hedge than a typical Cannabis plant with a central growing tip and smaller sub tips. After you top all the growing tips and give them time to grow out 6 inches or so, you should have a balanced group of tips that are all about the same size and height. :)

You can go back through my journal to find GDP #2 about two weeks into flower. There is a good photo of it showing this basic look you should be aiming for. Don't have a link handy, so you'll have to go digging! ;)

When mine was still in the red party cup, it was a 12-14 inch clone when I first got it. I did like 5 cutting from it. It was only 4-6 inches tall when I was done ..... LOL. Then I went and replanted it into 5 gallon pots. When that thing grew back in, it had like 9-11 main stems. The GDP took to it much better than the LA Kush. The LA Kush seemed to resent it a little. It didn't even seem to slow down the GDP. Only problem is, even right now, it wants to grow out more than UP .... but, I'm ok with that.

Is the purple in your "show off" pics typical?? Should I expect to see that kind of color?

When mine was still in the red party cup, it was a 12-14 inch clone when I first got it. I did like 5 cutting from it. It was only 4-6 inches tall when I was done ..... LOL. Then I went and replanted it into 5 gallon pots. When that thing grew back in, it had like 9-11 main stems. The GDP took to it much better than the LA Kush. The LA Kush seemed to resent it a little. It didn't even seem to slow down the GDP. Only problem is, even right now, it wants to grow out more than UP .... but, I'm ok with that.

Is the purple in your "show off" pics typical?? Should I expect to see that kind of color?

The genuine GDP strain is a very robust and resilient plant. You can do pretty much anything you want to it in terms of pruning within reason and it won't rebel.

The color is temperature dependent, (COLD) so that is one area where indoor growers may run into a little more difficulty in terms of getting that famous purple color out of the buds. Anything below about 55 degrees will really help push that pigment into the leaves and later the actual flower tops themselves. The color change starts with the fan leaves and then moves to the inner bud leaves. The colder the overnight temps during their dark period the darker the purple will get and the more extensive it will get.

Now this is all based on the original clone-only strain that I have been growing here. I have no experience with the seed based version, so it may or may not be as temp dependent as the original strain, but more than likely it will be since I am assuming that these seeds came from a CS treatment of the original clone-only version I have.

Was there any mention of overnight temps in the literature that came with the seeds? Just curious since this is a well known thing with the original GDP. While even indoor grown GDP will eventually turn purple to some degree, it won't be as pronounced if the temps in the growing space never change and you basically end up with a constant temp baseline from veg through flower.

Purple Urkle was part of the original cross, and this strain in the wild grows in the hills Northern California where these cold nights are typical at the end of the flower cycle which naturally occurrs at the end of September into early October. The purple pigment is a plant defense against freezing, so obviously, the colder the temps, the more purple the plant produces.

This year my GDP didn't turn as dark a purple as the previous year cause we had several heat waves up here in the Sierra right at the end of the flower cycle! This slowed down the purple development quite a bit but the plant's trichome development did not slow with it, so I was forced to harvest them when the trichomes were at the right ratio of cloudy to amber, even though they had not fully finished their color change.

I should also mention that this pigment has no effect on the potency, smell or taste of the final product. It is purely cosmetic, but obviously, people who grow this strain would prefer it to be purple as would anyone who buys it from you. ;)

You make any strain purple by lowering the temps or even go far as crushing blueberries up and putting it into your solution when feeding to your plants. Well the blueberries will make the buds purple

GG this is my ultimate topping plant but it came out to be a male or so I think its a male. Great genetics. Ill be breeding with this one. It has 7 large cola sites
IMG_0311_1_1.JPG

I leave my fan running at night when the lights go out. The temps in my box drop to about 60 some degrees since I live in WA State and my grow box is on my basement.

I leave my fan running at night when the lights go out. The temps in my box drop to about 60 some degrees since I live in WA State and my grow box is on my basement.

That might be cold enough but I am not sure. Up here we usually see temps down to about 45 F at night for a few weeks or so before harvest time and sometimes we even flirt with the high 30s by the first week of October. The colder the better as long as you don't stay below 32 F for more than an hour or two each night. The ideal temp would be around 45 F cause that is the overnight temps in Nor Cal near harvest time.

If you can open a window in that basement at night for a week or two at the end of the flower cycle and let it get down into the mid 40s, you will definitely get a really deep purple out of them! They need at least 10 days of this every night to complete their full color change. ;)

That plant looks good Wiz! That is basically the bushy appearance I was referring to. You definitely want to encourage outward growth rather than upward growth because that way more of your flower tops get good light and are not shadowed as much by upper leaves and flower tops!

Back
Top Bottom