Red's Mystic Blue - Hydro/Soil - First Grow

Updated pics from last night. Day number 7 of flowering. Starting to see the fine hairs of female "parts". I have a question...at this point do I continue to do low stress training, or do I allow them to flower and do their thing without interference? I have been removing the bigger fan leaves to keep the light hitting all parts of the plants. Do let the new growth nodes grow, or do I remove them to allow the top to grow strong?

Any help with this part wil be appreciated.

image18153.jpg

image18156.jpg

Soil grow...looking like the flowering has started. Smells are getting very robust, the leaves are getting resins, and the little female hairs are forming.

image18157.jpg

image18158.jpg

image18159.jpg

DWC Grow...doing the same as the soil grow, but the vegetation gets really thick fast. This is the plant that I'm not sure how much training I should be doing. I don't want to ruin the flowering stage by removing too much foliage, and doing too much bending.

Happy growing!

I have a much different understanding of defoliation applied at the proper time line to enhance vegetative growth and flowering. You can see examples of how I defoliate and train my plants in my Grow Journals and Reviews. I would defoliate in vegetative growth 10-14 days before flowering to remove excess fan leaves and open more light to branches and nodes that become bud sites and colas. I defoliate in vegetative growth by removing any fan leaves that are excessively shading the branches and nodes to encourage the nodes to grow larger and produce more colas. I use Low Stress Training to tie the branches of my plants to the outer edge of the rim of the pots and each branch becomes its own bud site and cola. When I defoliate in preparation for flower I leave no more then 4 fan leaves at each growing top and remove the majority of the fan leaves, any fan leaf that shades a top and lower growth, this is a perfect time to select cuttings to root as clones from the plants you are about to place into flower. I defoliate in flower at days 21-25 of flower when the stretch phase has ended by removing lower growth that will not produce anything except for popcorn bud and any fan leaf that shades a bud site and again if required at day 45.

KingJohnC's 400 Watt LA Confidential Seed Cabinet Soil Indoor Grow Journal

KingJohnC's Brainstorm Haze Soil Indoor Grow Journal

KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Dominator 2x Soil Indoor Grow Journal & Review

KingJohnC's Lush Lighting LED Lumenator 2x Black Widow Grow Journal & Review

New pics of the grow after 10 days of flowering. I noticed, though, on one node on my mother plant there seems to be a sign of little white pistils. Not sure if this is normal for a plant that is under 24 hour light. I'm not noticing it anywhere else on the mother plant. Should I remove this node, or will it revert back to vegging?

image18371.jpg
image18372.jpg

image18373.jpg

image18374.jpg

DWC girl, looking fine.

image18375.jpg

image18376.jpg

image18377.jpg

Soil grow...really, really, really impressed with this plant! So far I am digging the main line training technique. This plant is flowering well.

you cant seed new seeds in FF, its to strong in chems to do that. have to use a soil like no fertilizer in it. FF has a none fertilized soil use it or go get seed start from local store. most people use the seed started cups. once the roots get show from the bottom then they transplant into better soil.
looking at you plant there. its stressed bad. get some none fertilized soil from FF i believe it is the light warrior dirt. once plants get about 3-4 inches high you can move them into the happy frog or something. once you seeds pop really dont need a dome.just make sure light is not burning the plant. most of use use zip lock bad to germ then goes into a jiffy seed starter or something like that. then into potting soil.
hope that helps

Day 21 of the flowering cycle. May do a little trimming on both plants over the next couple of days, other than that just going to leave them alone as long as they are doing well.

image18774.jpg

image18775.jpg

image18777.jpg

DWC not looking too bad. Going to trim a bit of the fan leaves out, and a few of the tiny buds.

image18778.jpg

image18779.jpg

image18780.jpg

image18781.jpg

image18782.jpg

Here's the soil grow. At this point I'm going to leave it be, doesn't seem much needs to be done at this time.

Until next time...happy growing!!

fox farm will burn one up if it is the ocean forest, now happy frog is fine but i dont like and it can but sometimes plant will do fine. 50/50 results. personally it will depend on the strength of the plant on it.. me, i dont use it for seedlings. light warrior is for seedlings. its the best for little babies. then just transplant them into either happy from which does not have alot of the chems in it. as the ocean forest does.. most people mix 50/50 of ocean and happy together. me i just put them into ocean straight out.
hope that helps.

New pics of DWC and soil grows. The plants are really going to town flowering. These pics were taken around day 31 of flowering. Haven't posted in awhile due to a couple of deaths in the family, unfortunately such things always cause drama. So anyway...on with the show!!
image19463.jpg
image19464.jpg
image19465.jpg
image19466.jpg

All pics of the DWC grow. Average cola size about 6-8". They are getting super sticky. Not a lot of yellowing on this plant so far

image19467.jpg
image19468.jpg
image19469.jpg
image19470.jpg

Soil grow...average cola around 6-9". Getting extreme yellowing on the lower fan leaves, suspect that this is normal. Didn't want to boost any nutes at this stage of flowering for fear of over doing the nutes. Will be switching to either very light nutes, or all water to start flushing out the plant once I start seeing trichomes clouding.

Happy growing!!

Cloudy trichomes have the highest cannabinoid levels, it is when the trichomes begin to turn amber that you should begin flushing. I harvest my cannabis plants by trichome maturity. You need a 30x jewelers loupe to see the trichomes and judge when to harvest. Most people harvest from 5%-30% amber trichomes. Harvest at 5%-15% amber trichomes for a "head high" energetic effect and harvest at 30%-50% amber trichomes for a "body stone" sedative effect strain dependent.

Hydrofarm_AEM30_30x_Active_Eye_Loupe.png

Active Eye Loupe, 30X

The yellowing is most likely due to low nitrogen in flower and is somewhat normal. You can slightly increase the amount of nitrogen you are feeding to your yellowing plants.

Yo nice. Thick stems you got there, really nice! I'm really surprised at your growth rate, it seems to be on turbo mode.

Question: How long did you veg? As I can count I see 1 month and 15 days added to the 3 week old seedling. Is this right? Why did it take 3 weeks for your seedling to pop larger? (just wondering because my last grow suffered from that slow too)

Do you think top-feeding the DWC would have made it root faster aswell as growing faster? (up until the time you have roots underwater)

How many times topped during that veg?

Thank your for your time and BIG CONGRATULATIONS on this run! :Namaste:

Yo nice. Thick stems you got there, really nice! I'm really surprised at your growth rate, it seems to be on turbo mode.

Question: How long did you veg? As I can count I see 1 month and 15 days added to the 3 week old seedling. Is this right? Why did it take 3 weeks for your seedling to pop larger? (just wondering because my last grow suffered from that slow too)

Do you think top-feeding the DWC would have made it root faster aswell as growing faster? (up until the time you have roots underwater)

How many times topped during that veg?

Thank your for your time and BIG CONGRATULATIONS on this run! :Namaste:

I think the seedlings took so long to get moving because my room was around 56 degrees F. I had a real hard time keeping the humidity and temp in the dome high enough. I have heat mats for the next run. I don't think top watering, IMO, would have made things go any faster. The roots in the DWC went from a few dangling hairs to a massive root system in about a week. I think the plant spent a good deal of time creating suburb roots because I didn't top feed, and from my experience with tomatoes and peppers, this seems to be the case too. It does slow the veg stage down, but the plants go nuts after the root system is developed. My girl in soil is not as impressive, but I mainlined this plant, and this is really why I speant so much time in the veg stage. Basically waiting for her to bounce back after each topping. The DWC had to wait until I had the soil plant trained.

As for topping...the DWC was only officially topped once...but I had to snip a few growth nodes off to keep it from going crazy before the soil grow was ready to flower. On the DWC all the growth nodes that were growing down toward the top of the container were removed. Figured they wouldn't receive enough light at the bottom so why waste the plants energy on them. The soil grow was topped, I think, 7 times to create 8 main colas. I think this technique would have worked better in a hydro setting, I'm just not big on soil for indoor. The soil drys out way too fast, too much of a headache for me. I really do feel that once your hydro system is dialed in, it really can be a set it and forget it way of growing. But, I speant near 20 years green house growing hydro tomatoes and peppers, so hydro is just a happy place for me.

Thanks for the exchange of words! Happy growing!

New pics of the grow. Slowly coming to the end of the flowering stage, at least time wise. These pics are from a couple of days ago, around day 42-43 of flowering. The trichomes as of today, day 46 of flowering, were pretty much 100% cloudy. The flowers are starting to get a blue hue to them, they really are quite spectacular! I have cut the Nutes back on the DWC to half the recommended dosage, and as soon as I see a few ambers I'm going to begin my flush. Going to flush with botanical sweet, and see what becomes of it. Soil grow, I think, is going to ripen before the DWC grow. Already started flushing with nutes at about a 1/4 recommended dosage, and will switch to just water probably by next watering. So without further adue, the pics...

DWC first...

image20454.jpg
image20455.jpg
image20459.jpg
image20460.jpg

And a few of the soil girl...

image19470.jpg
image20456.jpg
image20457.jpg
image20458.jpg

Enjoy...happy growing!

Back